Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LaFell cut
LaTer
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: He could also go back to New England, where he already knows the offense and had some success. They did just cut Matthews too.

I thought of NE also immediately. But, I think if Browns were truly considering Bryant, then they will consider LaFell now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:35 AM)jj22 Wrote: Embarrassing to think Lafell had to ask for his release. This Front Office just can't quit folks.

It is only to benefit the veteran to cut him this early in camp.  The team could always use a camp body and if they waited another month the result would still be the same for them.  This allows Brandon to catch on with another team early in the process.
LaFell asked/begged because he saw the writing on the wall.  He was being chased by younger, hungrier, and more talented players and they were outplaying him in camp.

Same thing if they decide to cut MJ.  No reason to do it now unless they choose to help him move onto another team

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:49 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought of NE also immediately. But, I think if Browns were truly considering Bryant, then they will consider LaFell now.

Probably, but LaFell is 31 years old. If I'm LaFell, I'm going to a true contender unless they don't want me or Cleveland would offer a lot more money.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think it's embarrassing.
I think the FO saw LaFell as insurance in case one of the young guys went down in preseason.
I expected he'd probably get released based on the glowing reports of other WRs out of TC but I thought it would have happened later in preseason.
I'm glad LaFell will have an opportunity to latch onto a new team before preseason games begin.

Not embarrassing to me either. Taking the first week of camp to confirm we have the quality, health, and depth of the group before letting him go is in the best interest for the team. Now all involved move forward. Well done. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:35 AM)jj22 Wrote: Embarrassing to think Lafell had to ask for his release. This Front Office just can't quit folks.

The front office did exactly what most folks here would have done.  They waited until training camp to make sure the young guys were ready before they released LaFell.

Not embarrassing.  Just smart.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:52 AM)pally Wrote: It is only to benefit the veteran to cut him this early in camp.  The team could always use a camp body and if they waited another month the result would still be the same for them.  This allows Brandon to catch on with another team early in the process.
LaFell asked/begged because he saw the writing on the wall.  He was being chased by younger, hungrier, and more talented players

Same thing if they decide to cut MJ.  No reason to do it now unless they choose to help him move onto another team

MJ very well could be on his way out too, as the Bengals have Lawson officially listed at DE now and he's explicitly said this TC that he's a DE.
It's going to be hard to get snaps with Dunlap, Willis, Lawson, and Hubbard at DE plus Atkins, Billings, Baker, Glasgow, and Brown at DT. I would bet MJ only stays if there's a significant injury that happens.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
LaFell was a pros pro when he was here. ive seen too many in the past just play for a paycheck.
id like to think he helped John Ross with sage advice coming into 2018.
LaFell will get looks. i can see him going to the Bills
The emergence of Boyd Tate and Ross helped accelerate this move.
freeing up.3 million goes along way.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The front office did exactly what most folks here would have done.  They waited until training camp to make sure the young guys were ready before they released LaFell.

Not embarrassing.  Just smart.

Extremely smart and FO is having a great off season.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: MJ very well could be on his way out too, as the Bengals have Lawson officially listed at DE now and he's explicitly said this TC that he's a DE.
It's going to be hard to get snaps with Dunlap, Willis, Lawson, and Hubbard at DE plus Atkins, Billings, Baker, Glasgow, and Brown at DT. I would bet MJ only stays if there's a significant injury that happens.

Call me crazy, but I would be going to MJ and asking to cut his 2018 salary, then if he agrees to play for 2.5 million or so, use him as back up on the DL. The issue is he is not worth his current salary if he can't crack the starting line up, but very valuable as a back up.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:56 AM)impactplaya Wrote: LaFell was a pros pro when he was here. ive seen too many in the past just play for a paycheck.
id like to think he helped John Ross with sage advice coming into 2018.
LaFell will get looks. i can see him going to the Bills
The emergence of Boyd Tate and Ross helped accelerate this move.
freeing up.3 million goes along way.

Read Jim O's article; he absolutely did.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
New England is slim at WR. I bet he goes back and puts up big numbers with all his ‘drops’ lol

NE fans ran him out of town but will be right back on the bandwagon when he is putting up numbers. He’s a great #2 imo

Excited though, I think this means Boyd on the field every down which has been a LONG time coming.
Reply/Quote
Lol he's not a great #2 wr. Our offense sucked while he was here n he was let go in New England for a reason . Hoping Malone or Boyd fill that #2 spot
Reply/Quote
The Bengals confirmed that Brandon LaFell has been released. “We want to thank Brandon for his contributions to Bengals,” said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. “He has been a consummate pro and teammate, a strong voice on the team and a great mentor for the young players. We wish him and his family the best in the future.”

they also cut DE Ja’Von Rolland-Jones

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

They should have been the one with the sense it was time to move on and released him. Like I said all offseason.

Like staying with a girl cheating on you just to have her dump you in the end.

I guess we have to wait for MJ to ask for his release next.

Not sure I understand your comment about the front office - dump him in the end.  Regardless of what we want to think is the "right" thing to do, football is a business, and the business is WINNING.  The Bengals Front Office understands this, maybe more so now than ever.  

Training camp is a grind, a time for development of the young, and a game of attrition in many cases due to injury.  You need body's to get through camp.  The fact that the Bengals made this move this early in camp is applauded IMO.  They could've easily drug Lafell through camp risking him to injury just to minimize the risk of injury on other younger players.

Guarantee Lafell and his agent don't view this as a sinister move by the front office.
Reply/Quote
The same people constantly criticize the organization no matter what they do. "LaFell didn't want to be here"..... BS, Joe is on the back end of his career and saw the writing on the wall with the emergence of Ross and Malone, and wanted to be released to have a chance to go elsewhere. If he thought he was still going to be here, you can bet he'd be here. And, it was a class move on the Bengal's part to go ahead and release him, to give him other opportunities as receivers get injured around the camps. Nothing to be "embarrassed" about, nothing but class on both parties parts. Thankful for LaFell's time here, he upgraded the room. 
Reply/Quote

They should have been the one with the sense it was time to move on and released him. Like I said all offseason.

Like staying with a girl cheating on you just to have her dump you in the end.

I guess we have to wait for MJ to ask for his release next.

Yeah my line of thinking as well. Yeah its a good thing Bengals cut him, but it does seem to be a reactionary move instead of them being proactive about it. And that has been one of my biggest complaints concerning the Bengals front office is that they make way more reactionary moves instead of being progressively proactive about them. And I believe that is one of the reasons for the lack of better success over the years.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Let MJ be next . He's highly overpaid . Brings zero pass rush from the edge . Cut MJ n give Dunlap hid extension
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:22 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Lol he's not a great #2 wr. Our offense sucked while he was here n he was let go in New England for a reason . Hoping Malone or Boyd fill that #2 spot

Our offense sucked but Lafell was low on the list of reasons why.

I think there is a better argument that the Bengals crappy O decreased Lafells performance.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:00 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Let MJ be next .  He's highly overpaid  .  Brings zero pass rush from the edge .   Cut MJ n give Dunlap hid extension

He would be a great back up, so they need to ask him to take a pay cut first IMHO. He is worth 2.5 to 3 million to be a part of 8 man DL rotation since he can play all spots on the DL

Reply/Quote