Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LaFell cut
(08-02-2018, 01:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think it has to be injury related.  Usually don't sign a guy that young and raw unless you are going to give him a nice long look to see what you have.

Yeah must be an injury dang it.

Hopefully we can bring him back, i really like his pass rush skills.

(08-02-2018, 01:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Amen, PA may have been a great OL coach at one time, but even the good ones become complacent when not challenged. H felt he had a life long gig. I thought so too. Glad we moved on.

Yes, biggest thing to happen to this team in 23 or so years, move on from PA and hire Frank Pollack.

(08-02-2018, 01:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: While that may be true....they might have shown LaFell some mutual respect and admiration and gave him a chance to latch on elsewhere by cutting him now.  Normally, I'd be right in there with you, but things have a different feel this year.  This team is doing shit I haven't seen them do since.....well.....ever under Son of Paul.

Feel the same, it was the right thing to do all the way around.

Gives our young guys more snaps and confidence going into the Preseason.

Gives Lafell a chance to land on another team.

Definately agree with your last sentence as you well know too Wyche.

This team knows what they are doing right now. It is different.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Auden Tate has looked like a stud all Offseason, such a huge catch radius. I expect this guy to score a lot of TD's for us.

John Ross, Auden Tate, Josh Malone are all extremely talented and honestly i didn't want to get rid of Cody Core with his
size, speed and physicality. Alex Erickson has been playing very good as a gritty Slot Receiver to back up our main man
Boyd who i expect to have a big year making tons of clutch catches over the middle and in the seam.

Nice Receiver room.

These were his biggest assets at FSU.  Corner fade in the zone?  Fuhgettaboutit. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:05 PM)Shady Wrote: A lot of us were pulling for the guy. Too much talent ahead of him. Hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the ass. Maybe he'll resurface here. This could be injury related.

they also cut DE Ja’Von Rolland-Jones

Looks like it might be injury related and he is going to IR once thru waivers.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You say reactionary, I say calculated. The plan was more likely draft Ross, develop Boyd and the cut LaFell in 2018. They did their due diligence making sure the WR group was better with LaFell gone, great job FO.

I will say that what I said is based on what his agent said about him wanting to be released. I should have held off on saying that until it has been confirmed they did contact the Bengals to get released. Because after a wrote that, it dawned on me that maybe his agent was saying that to make LaFell look better for potential other teams, instead of him not looking that great in camp and is getting older.

But I also want to say sometimes reactionary moves pay off, like those times when unknown players by the names of Kurt Warner and Tom Brady get promoted due to an injury to the guy in front of them. So it's not completely a bad thing either.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:31 PM)Shady Wrote: He did. I think MJ sticks again. This is the last year, I'd guess. We're getting pretty stout with younger talent at DT. 

Yep, with the most recent cut.....I'd say you're right.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Welcome aboard Auden Tate.....(go Noles!)....goodbye Brandon LaFell.  LaFell played good ball here, thank you for your effort and professionalism exhibited while you were in stripes.  Best wishes, unless you play us. :andy:

That was my first thought, when I read the news.  Looking like Auden Tate is going to be a Bengal!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't think Tate's injury was anything serious (thankfully, cause that was a bummer). They didn't even mention it when I was listening to the radio on the way home yesterday. BUT I think this has more to do with how good Boyd has looked.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Gotta say I'm happy about LaFell's release. He was a good stop-gap, but as average as it gets.

Hopefully Ross can fulfill his offseason hype.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: These were his biggest assets at FSU.  Corner fade in the zone?  Fuhgettaboutit. :andy:

You would know more than about anyone.

Pretty cool getting a guy from your college team and him doing so well already. Rock On

(08-02-2018, 01:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think Tate's injury was anything serious (thankfully, cause that was a bummer). They didn't even mention it when I was listening to the radio on the way home yesterday. BUT I think this has more to do with how good Boyd has looked.

Never heard anything about a Tate injury, hopefully you are right and it is nothing serious.

I think Ross has a bit to do with the Lafell cut as well as Boyd's top notch play.
Reply/Quote
Hard to please fan is hard to please.

I think Tyler Boyd made this move possible. Everywhere I've read he's pretty much sewn up the #2 WR slot. Bengals and LaFell both saw it and agreed to part ways.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think Tate's injury was anything serious (thankfully, cause that was a bummer). They didn't even mention it when I was listening to the radio on the way home yesterday. BUT I think this has more to do with how good Boyd has looked.

I guess the lesson to be learned from this is "Trust the Process."  Tongue

Think about it. We signed a vet (LaFell) around the same time we drafted Boyd and Core, signed Erikson (AE) as a UDFA, then we drafted Ross & Malone. 5 young WRs who look to join AJ and AT (Tate) on the roster this year. LaFell gave us some experience and veteran leadership that contributed to the development of the rookies. The Process worked (this time). 

Note: Given how little we've heard from Cody Core this year, he could be cut. Maybe we roll with 6 WRs this year, signing someone like Davonte Boyd, Kermit Whitfield, and/or Keirwan (?) White to the PS. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That was my first thought, when I read the news.  Looking like Auden Tate is going to be a Bengal!

You know I'm stoked Sunset.....hopefully he pans out with better results than the last two from FSU, although shitty QBs and injury derailed Warrick more than anything I tend to think.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:45 PM)Shady Wrote: I guess the lesson to be learned from this is "Trust the Process."  Tongue

Think about it. We signed a vet (LaFell) around the same time we drafted Boyd and Core, signed Erikson (AE) as a UDFA, then we drafted Ross & Malone. 5 young WRs who look to join AJ and AT (Tate) on the roster this year. LaFell gave us some experience and veteran leadership that contributed to the development of the rookies. The Process worked (this time). 

Note: Given how little we've heard from Cody Core this year, he could be cut. Maybe we roll with 6 WRs this year, signing someone like Davonte Boyd, Kermit Whitfield, and/or Keirwan (?) White to the PS. 

nah the knees jerk to hard around here.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You would know more than about anyone.

Pretty cool getting a guy from your college team and him doing so well already. Rock On

Well, Yojimbo is up on the Noles as much or more than I am.

Yeah, it's encouraging, to say the least, I was hoping he would make the team. I think he will become a valuable asset in the Red Zone and possession.

Reply/Quote
LaFell may have wanted out of his Bengals contract for any number of reasons so I'm not going to speculate on them.. I just hope that the young players still with the team are ready to step up in a huge way .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, Yojimbo is up on the Noles as much or more than I am.

Yeah, it's encouraging, to say the least, I was hoping he would make the team. I think he will become a valuable asset in the Red Zone and possession.

Yo, yes, remember he is a Noles fan too. I have always liked them myself since Charlie Ward was QB...

Just not a die hard like i am a Bengals fan.

With Auden's catch radius it would be insanely stupid not to use him in the RZ. I don't think Lazor is stupid.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yo, yes, remember he is a Noles fan too. I have always liked them myself since Charlie Ward was QB...

Just not a die hard like i am a Bengals fan.

With Auden's catch radius it would be insanely stupid not to use him in the RZ. I don't think Lazor is stupid.

Man....just posted a video of Charlie Ward hitting Warrick Dunn for a 50 yard TD against Florida in '93 on FB....great memories of a magical season, and our first National Title.  Both of those guys are great human beings, much better than the last douche at QB when we won it. Whatever

Anyway, been a fan since the 80s....Neon Deion....all those wide rights....the hey day of the Bowden era was a lot of fun.  Besides, Burt Reynolds played there. LOL 

I don't think he is either  Wink

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hard to please fan is hard to please.

I think Tyler Boyd made this move possible. Everywhere I've read he's pretty much sewn up the #2 WR slot. Bengals and LaFell both saw it and agreed to part ways.

I agree. They saw how much the young guys had progressed and they saw the writing on the wall, hence asking for his release. I doubt they "begged" the Bengals to release him as someone said.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That was my first thought, when I read the news.  Looking like Auden Tate is going to be a Bengal!

I heard he was injured yesterday. Nothing serious I'm guessing?

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 02:46 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I heard he was injured yesterday. Nothing serious I'm guessing?

hit his head on the turf we would already know if it was long term.. but this time of year they don't have to disclose anything... They were probly being extra cautious though....

Just watch the reports about who is on the sidelines I'm guessing at most hes out 2 days.
Reply/Quote