Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LaFell cut
(08-02-2018, 12:35 PM)pally Wrote: The Bengals confirmed that Brandon LaFell has been released. “We want to thank Brandon for his contributions to Bengals,” said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. “He has been a consummate pro and teammate, a strong voice on the team and a great mentor for the young players. We wish him and his family the best in the future.”

they also cut DE Ja’Von Rolland-Jones

A lot of us were pulling for the guy. Too much talent ahead of him. Hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the ass. Maybe he'll resurface here. This could be injury related.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah my line of thinking as well. Yeah its a good thing Bengals cut him, but it does seem to be a reactionary move instead of them being proactive about it. And that has been one of my biggest complaints concerning the Bengals front office is that they make way more reactionary moves instead of being progressively proactive about them. And I believe that is one of the reasons for the lack of better success over the years.

You say reactionary, I say calculated. The plan was more likely draft Ross, develop Boyd and the cut LaFell in 2018. They did their due diligence making sure the WR group was better with LaFell gone, great job FO.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Welcome aboard Auden Tate.....(go Noles!)....goodbye Brandon LaFell.  LaFell played good ball here, thank you for your effort and professionalism exhibited while you were in stripes.  Best wishes, unless you play us. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I've made no secret that I was never a big fan of LaFell. I wish him the best, but glad to see the young guys are going to get their chance now.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:21 AM)Trademark Wrote:

(08-02-2018, 11:22 AM)pally Wrote: Per Mike Garafolo via LaFells agent.  Transaction to take place later today

Thanks for the update guys. Rock On

(08-02-2018, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is a good sign.  LaFell was not as bad as a lot of people here claimed.  This means the young guys are looking good.

Agreed, Lafell wasn't a bad player here at all, very solid and a consumate pro.

Great vet for the young guys to learn from and it worked. Did this early too so he can catch on with another team.

Wondering why they cut Rolland Jones though, thought he could help out in our pass rush rotation...
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah my line of thinking as well. Yeah its a good thing Bengals cut him, but it does seem to be a reactionary move instead of them being proactive about it. And that has been one of my biggest complaints concerning the Bengals front office is that they make way more reactionary moves instead of being progressively proactive about them. And I believe that is one of the reasons for the lack of better success over the years.

Tell us all about how you feel the front office should have cut him sooner, if next week we lose t2 receivers in a pre season game..... the organization itself would be better off waiting to cut him until final cut day. They didn't, they showed enough respect for him to let him go early.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Welcome aboard Auden Tate.....(go Noles!)....goodbye Brandon LaFell.  LaFell played good ball here, thank you for your effort and professionalism exhibited while you were in stripes.  Best wishes, unless you play us. :andy:

Auden Tate has looked like a stud all Offseason, such a huge catch radius. I expect this guy to score a lot of TD's for us.

John Ross, Auden Tate, Josh Malone are all extremely talented and honestly i didn't want to get rid of Cody Core with his
size, speed and physicality. Alex Erickson has been playing very good as a gritty Slot Receiver to back up our main man
Boyd who i expect to have a big year making tons of clutch catches over the middle and in the seam.

Nice Receiver room.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Tell us all about how you feel the front office should have cut him sooner, if next week we lose t2 receivers in a pre season game..... the organization itself would be better off waiting to cut him until final cut day. They didn't, they showed enough respect for him to let him go early.

Yep, if anything it was more proactive then reactive.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Our offense sucked but Lafell was low on the list of reasons why.

I think there is a better argument that the Bengals crappy O decreased Lafells performance.

I would agree....the three biggest culprits were Paul Alexander, his shitty oline, and Ken Zampese.

Reply/Quote
I don't think you can applaud them for waiting until training camp when they haven't even played a game. What did 1 week do?

If you guys are right, they needed to wait until all 4 preseason games were played or at least 1 before they could determine if we needed him.

Lafell forced his way out and that to me (just my opinion) given he's 32, his numbers weren't all that, and many of us said all offseason he should be released, is embarrassing (not really embarrassing but to highlight my shock he had to beg for his release).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He would be a great back up, so they need to ask him to take a pay cut first IMHO. He is worth 2.5 to 3 million to be a part of 8 man DL rotation since he can play all spots on the DL

I'm all kinds of on board with this.  I think he played pretty damn well at DT last season.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:05 PM)Shady Wrote: A lot of us were pulling for the guy. Too much talent ahead of him. Hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the ass. Maybe he'll resurface here. This could be injury related.

(08-02-2018, 01:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wondering why they cut Rolland Jones though, thought he could help out in our pass rush rotation...

I think it has to be injury related.  Usually don't sign a guy that young and raw unless you are going to give him a nice long look to see what you have.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would agree....the three biggest culprits were Paul Alexander, his shitty oline, and Ken Zampese.

Amen, PA may have been a great OL coach at one time, but even the good ones become complacent when not challenged. H felt he had a life long gig. I thought so too. Glad we moved on.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The front office did exactly what most folks here would have done.  They waited until training camp to make sure the young guys were ready before they released LaFell.

Not embarrassing.  Just smart.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think you can applaud them for waiting until training camp when they haven't even played a game. What did 1 week do?

If you guys are right, they needed to wait until all 4 preseason games were played or at least 1.

While that may be true....they might have shown LaFell some mutual respect and admiration and gave him a chance to latch on elsewhere by cutting him now.  Normally, I'd be right in there with you, but things have a different feel this year.  This team is doing shit I haven't seen them do since.....well.....ever under Son of Paul.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think it has to be injury related.  Usually don't sign a guy that young and raw unless you are going to give him a nice long look to see what you have.

True. It's going to be interesting to see if we sign any more players. I think we're up to 3 vacant roster spots. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: New England is slim at WR. I bet he goes back and puts up big numbers with all his ‘drops’ lol

NE fans ran him out of town but will be right back on the bandwagon when he is putting up numbers. He’s a great #2 imo

Excited though, I think this means Boyd on the field every down which has been a LONG time coming.

Ha. I remember all the talk on the boards that LaFell had a serious drop problem. Total myth.

I wouldn't say he's a "great" #2 though, more around league average imo. He'll hold down the spot pretty well, but he won't be a guy that really makes your team better.

(08-02-2018, 12:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The same people constantly criticize the organization no matter what they do. "LaFell didn't want to be here"..... BS, Joe is on the back end of his career and saw the writing on the wall with the emergence of Ross and Malone, and wanted to be released to have a chance to go elsewhere. If he thought he was still going to be here, you can bet he'd be here. And, it was a class move on the Bengal's part to go ahead and release him, to give him other opportunities as receivers get injured around the camps. Nothing to be "embarrassed" about, nothing but class on both parties parts. Thankful for LaFell's time here, he upgraded the room. 

Bingo. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Amen, PA may have been a great OL coach at one time, but even the good ones become complacent when not challenged. H felt he had a life long gig. I thought so too. Glad we moved on.

Yeah, I mean, he was cutting edge at one time.  I think you hit the nail on the head......COMPLACENCY.  That, and too much authority over the offense as a position coach.  I was kind of taken aback when we learned he was the run game coordinator, and dictated blocking scheme to the OC.  That just sounds like a weird situation to put an OC in to me.  Then you add in Asst. HC.....sheesh!  No wonder he thought he had a lifetime gig!

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 11:21 AM)Trademark Wrote:

thanks for the time lafell...

That's a good sign for our young guys progress.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm all kinds of on board with this.  I think he played pretty damn well at DT last season.

He did. I think MJ sticks again. This is the last year, I'd guess. We're getting pretty stout with younger talent at DT. 
Reply/Quote