Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lance McCallister rips Taylor on DC fiasco
(02-15-2019, 09:45 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I agree that it is embarrassing but overall I don't think it is a big deal as long as he reels in the right guy.  

Trust me, we are better off being patient and finding the correct fit than hiring a bum 4 weeks ago.

This.  In years past, we wouldn't have even known who all was being interviewed, let alone who passed on who.  Now, we know how many farts were cut during the meetings.  Typical media sensationalism.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 06:22 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: If experience was the most important thing, we'd have kept Marvin and a slew of other coaches who had been here for years.  We have been screaming for changes on the coaching staff, and now that we are getting them, it's not the time to complain or get worried.  Some coaches have made the rounds on the coaching merry-go-round for years on different teams and are hired because of their "experience."  Instead, we're going to have a young staff, and they will need some time, but I'd rather start from scratch with someone who is a good fit for the team.  If Taylor is getting to make that call, that is HUGE.  Let him do his job.  McCallister's hissy fit is ridiculous

Right this change is what everyone wanted... So lets chill out and let it unfold.
Reply/Quote
It's not about how fast you can hire a guy..it's about hiring the right guy. If you've ever hired anybody you know this is how it goes. You interview the person you think you're gonna like best first...sometimes it turns out you don't really like them as much as you thought you would. Then you interview someone else and you might like them better and offer them. Sometimes they take it, sometimes their current job counters and gets them to stay. You keep interviewing until you find the right person. You don't settle just because some people are panicking.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: This.  In years past, we wouldn't have even known who all was being interviewed, let alone who passed on who.  Now, we know how many farts were cut during the meetings.  Typical media sensationalism.

Now I picture mike Brown sitting in on the interviews in a recliner while he snore/farts intermittently.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 09:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So if he were alive today he'd be shaking in his grave?  I guess that's true.

I was going to ask the same thing.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
There's no need to freak out Panic

It's not like training camp starts next week. I'm willing to sit back and see what ZT comes up with. We had 16 seasons of ML and really never got anywhere above mediocre !

Be patient Lance
Reply/Quote
Lance is just piling on at this point. Don't be hurt when the whispers of 0-16 go through the National sports media. Pretty much everyone believes we are back in the pre Marvin era.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Why don't we give this some time to see how things shake out?

Instead Lance is looking for a cliff to jump off of.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:39 PM)Earendil Wrote: Why don't we give this some time to see how things shake out?

Turds gonna turd.  Lance is a bad joke.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's no need to freak out  Panic

It's not like training camp starts next week. I'm willing to sit back and see what ZT comes up with. We had 16 seasons of ML and really never got anywhere above mediocre !

Be patient Lance

Ida know man, it's like the high school Springtime Pumpkin Dance is next week and the first 5 girls we asked to it turned us down.  You can't help but sweat a little, right? Hopefully we don't end up going with our "totally distant" cousin from 2 towns over.
Reply/Quote
Lance will make every excuse in the world for 90+ loss Reds teams but God forbid the Bengals slip up.

I don't remember who the original article was written by, but Mo was talking about it the other day and it made a pretty compelling case for why NOT to panic. Essentially it boils down to being realistic about things: Taylor didn't agree with JDR, we all want Taylor to have a say in his staff, we should respect that. They shot for the moon in chasing Dennis Allen, they knew they probably weren't going to get him, so why be upset if they don't? Capers and the Bengals were evidently never serious about each other (and most didn't want him any ways). Grantham was also viewed as a long shot since he just signed a huge contract like a month ago. And yet all the majority of fans are doing is seeing "X said no" and freaking out. Makes no sense.

I'd argue we should give them credit in being aggressive enough to chase two coaches they had little-to-no shot of actually getting, and for giving Taylor total control in the matter. The guys people are writing over as the "leftover" candidates are the same guys they'd be interviewing in the first place had they not chased after the big names! I don't know that there's a person out there that I think they've actually legit missed it on yet, so people need to be patient and trust in the process.

It's going to be a long offseason lol.
Reply/Quote
Training camp doesn't start next week. But Championships are built during these months.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Now I picture mike Brown sitting in on the interviews in a recliner while he snore/farts intermittently.

You're welcome. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:21 AM)bonesaw Wrote: It's not about how fast you can hire a guy..it's about hiring the right guy.  If you've ever hired anybody you know this is how it goes.  You interview the person you think you're gonna like best first...sometimes it turns out you don't really like them as much as you thought you would.  Then you interview someone else and you might like them better and offer them.   Sometimes they take it, sometimes their current job counters and gets them to stay.  You keep interviewing until you find the right person.  You don't settle just because some people are panicking.

Well the 1st 5-6 guys they wanted to hire didn't work out so maybe the 7th guy is the right guy.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:39 PM)Earendil Wrote: Why don't we give this some time to see how things shake out?

Right,

After 16 seasons of ho hum I'm not going to dive off the Golden Gate after a month and a half of off-season before we've seen anything.
Reply/Quote
Would rather Taylor take his time and get the right guy than panic and hire the wrong one.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 01:39 AM)Passepartout Wrote: Wonder what Paul Brown would think if he were still alive? He would be shaken in his grave.

We wouldn't have this problem if Paul didn't have a hard-on for Bill Walsh.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Plenty of time to panic if Zac does not take a 6-10 team to a 10-6 team in 2019. In the end, it seems to be his staff, he will make roster calls and then decide with his staff who plays more or less.

I hope he makes the right decision, our winning and getting better immediately depends on it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I rather him get it right then rush and get it wrong.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Of the 6 DC candidates that Zac has contacted or spoke with since he officially became the head coach:

2 never materialized into anything because there wasn't enough mutual interest to pursue it (Del Rio & Capers).
1 was a nearly impossible sell because he could retain the same position with a legit SB contender.
1 was interviewed, and seemingly one or both sides didn't feel comfortable or think it was the right fit.
1 was negotiated with and leveraged that into a better deal with his current team.
1 was blocked from interviewing at all.

I get that some are antsy about how long it's taking, but not sure how the process itself translates into a 'fiasco' as Lance puts it.
Reply/Quote