Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lapham said AJ looked 'unbelievable' in Pregame Workouts
(12-12-2019, 12:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A 32 year old WR won SB MVP last year...

Ok, thanks. I stand corrected. I didn't realize your one data point would invalidate the remaining data on every other player in the NFL.

Thanks for correcting me.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:02 PM)R3stangs Wrote: I could pull the data but just trust me that there is more than enough to show that 32 is not the prime of your career in the NFL. It is significantly on the down side slope.

AJ will have played in a total of 9 games the past 2 seasons..That does not fit the narrative of most 32 year old players....While he's had foot injuries he's not had any significant knee injuries that can curb explosion, speed, etc..
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:13 PM)higgy100 Wrote: AJ will have played in a total of 9 games the past 2 seasons..That does not fit the narrative of most 32 year old players....While he's had foot injuries he's not had any significant knee injuries that can curb explosion, speed, etc..

You're right, foot and ankle injuries should have no impact on speed, etc. (in fantasy land) And the fact that every time he gets back on the field he reinjures himself. And the data.....

Wide Receivers

[Image: aging_curve_for_nfl_offensive_players_wi...eivers.png]
For players that enter the league as 21-year-olds, this graph seems to confirm the public discourse around the third year breakout for wide receivers (i.e. the jump that receivers take from their age 22 to 23 season is the biggest jump that they take in their careers); for players that enter the NFL as 22 year olds, this is their second season.
Wide receivers seem to have a relatively short peak range of three years from 25 to 27, with their peak being their age 26 season.

but again, I surrender. You guys are right, he's prepped to be league MVP next year wherever he ends up. Just hopefully not here where he's team MVP of hoodie wearing.
Reply/Quote
Yeah... Let's just roll with the guys we have. This is a deep WR class... Oh wait; we need a QB, OL, LB, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully we can't get a stud in the 4th round or later. We've drafted so we'll the past few years, that I'm sure we'll find one.

Glad we didn't take Metcalf last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:12 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Ok, thanks. I stand corrected. I didn't realize your one data point would invalidate the remaining data on every other player in the NFL.

Thanks for correcting me.

Lol nobody needs data to prove players decline as they age ya goof. My point is a team will obviously still be interested in AJ because he can put them over the top. We literally just saw a WR his age win SB MVP last year.

A team like SF would be a perfect fit for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lol nobody needs data to prove players decline as they age ya goof. My point is a team will obviously still be interested in AJ because he can put them over the top. We literally just saw a WR his age win SB MVP last year.

I never said anyone wouldn't did I? In fact, i agree and guarantee teams will be interested in him.

I said at 32 years old and an injury waiting to happen he's not still in his prime.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:19 PM)R3stangs Wrote: You're right, foot and ankle injuries should have no impact on speed, etc. (in fantasy land)  And the fact that every time he gets back on the field he reinjures himself. And the data.....

Wide Receivers

[Image: aging_curve_for_nfl_offensive_players_wi...eivers.png]
For players that enter the league as 21-year-olds, this graph seems to confirm the public discourse around the third year breakout for wide receivers (i.e. the jump that receivers take from their age 22 to 23 season is the biggest jump that they take in their careers); for players that enter the NFL as 22 year olds, this is their second season.
Wide receivers seem to have a relatively short peak range of three years from 25 to 27, with their peak being their age 26 season.

but again, I surrender. You guys are right, he's prepped to be league MVP next year wherever he ends up. Just hopefully not here where he's team MVP of hoodie wearing.

Looking at just 1 graph from Apex football from 2000-2017 only, there were 33 players aged 31-34 years old that had 83 catches or more in a season with 10 of them having 100 catches or more....I'll let you do the work to try to dispute that or, rather, build my case up even further in 2018-2019..Carry on....
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:35 PM)higgy100 Wrote:   Looking at just 1 graph from Apex football from 2000-2017 only, there were 33 players aged 31-34 years old that had 83 catches or more in a season with 10 of them having 100 catches or more....I'll let you do the work to try to dispute that or, rather, build my case up even further in 2018-2019..Carry on....

Then there should be a huge field of receivers to choose from in free agency since 30+ is the prime years of their career.

So in 18 years theres an average of 2 WR's among all the WR's on 32 teams that had 83 catches or more. Yeah, I'm convinced. 30+ is the perfect age.

BTW from your own source of Apex:

It looks like the peak of a wide receiver’s career is from 25 to 29 years old – 59.4% of the peak seasons fall within this range. It looks like receivers decline at 30 years old, with the wheels falling off at 33 years old. The amazing Jerry Rice notched the only peak season at 40 years old.
Reply/Quote
Some teams are still interested in AB, so AJ can still get work. Mega deal? No, but can get a job elsewhere and not be on a horrible team.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 01:08 PM)Destro Wrote: Some teams are still interested in AB, so AJ can still get work. Mega deal? No, but can get a job elsewhere and not be on a horrible team.

I think AJ may need to become a #2 WR somewhere like GB to prolong his career.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 01:08 PM)Destro Wrote: Some teams are still interested in AB, so AJ can still get work. Mega deal? No, but can get a job elsewhere and not be on a horrible team.

Alshon Jeffrey is younger, but he was an example of a team (the Bears) letting a WR walk because of injury issues and he got a 1 year prove it deal in Philly that turned into a long-term gig.  I could see that happening with AJ somewhere...particularly if he is just sitting out now to make sure his next team gets him at 100%.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 11:10 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Absolutely and it's not even a risk. AJ will have an entire year off from the wear and tear...Not a team in the NFL he has to prove shit to.......Even at his worst with games he seemed very disinterested in along, with a QB many teams who left him out to dry and even with his drops he was still a top 10 WR...He'll be re-energized and healthy and in the prime of his career..

He will be a year older and cost more than he is worth. He has had chronic foot problems. Can he return to his former status as a top five WR. He could but not likely. The 19 mil he will command as a franchised player could be spent getting FAs to actually contribute to the team. BTW mid thirties is not the prime for WRs.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 12:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lol nobody needs data to prove players decline as they age ya goof. My point is a team will obviously still be interested in AJ because he can put them over the top. We literally just saw a WR his age win SB MVP last year.

There are a lot of perfect places for him but the likelihood that someone will give him a long term contract is slim. The Bengals have already given him 20+ million over the last year and a half. Let him walk. Quit looking back and start looking ahead.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 11:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Does the guy you know have a job where 200+ lb men are trying to physically dominate him?

No he quit the job at the Turkish bath.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 03:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Does this really need to be explained to you? 

Yes please explain it to me how he can be traded to another team if he can't pass a physical? and if the other team still accepts it, they will come back with a lower round pick, thus not giving the full value for him.  Let him sit, tag him and trade him next year if he doesn't want to sign with the Bengals.

I mean really, I thought everyone knew that trades are based on IF they can pass the physical. We see those trades all the time.
XX traded to YY depending on passing the Physical.

This is what I was talking about and referencing, not the RIGHT now. For now, maybe he can pass it and it's coach's decision to leave him out for the rest of the year.

"All NFL transactions are not complete until the team physical. This is true for trades, free agent signings and even for claiming a player off another team’s practice squad."
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 04:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes please explain it to me how he can be traded to another team if he can't pass a physical? and if the other team still accepts it, they will come back with a lower round pick, thus not giving the full value for him.  Let him sit, tag him and trade him next year if he doesn't want to sign with the Bengals.

I mean really, I thought everyone knew that trades are based on IF they can pass the physical. We see those trades all the time.

This is what I was talking about and referencing, not the RIGHT now. For now, maybe he can pass it and it's coach's decision to leave him out for the rest of the year.

"All NFL transactions are not complete until the team physical. This is true for trades, free agent signings and even for claiming a player off another team’s practice squad."

When Brett Farve was traded from Atlanta to Green Bay he didn’t pass his physical because of avascular necrosis affecting one of his hips. But, the GM wanted him so Farve passed his physical.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 04:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes please explain it to me how he can be traded to another team if he can't pass a physical? and if the other team still accepts it, they will come back with a lower round pick, thus not giving the full value for him.  Let him sit, tag him and trade him next year if he doesn't want to sign with the Bengals.

He can pass a physical. He could've passed a physical at least 2 months ago.  An ankle sprain, one you're weeks and then months removed from, isn't going preclude a pass.

The point is, he's more than healthy enough to play. And it's been that way for quite some time. He just doesn't to play here, for this team, in a contract year. The risk is way too great, with little to no reward.  Contrary to what some say, he's not driving up his market value with a few decent games. And it is more likely that by joining this team, paired with this roster, that he drives that market down. So he sits...

I really can't understand how some of you can be so gulliable to believe he's actually injured enough to not be able to pass a physical. Lingering soreness or not, sprains don't trigger a fail. Typical recovery is 4-6 weeks. 8 if you're being super cautious. We are now going to week 21. 21!!!!

Wake up!
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 11:37 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He can pass a physical. He could've passed a physical at least 2 months ago.  An ankle sprain, one you're weeks and then months removed from, isn't going preclude a pass.

The point is, he's more than healthy enough to play. And it's been that way for quite some time. He just doesn't to play here, for this team, in a contract year. The risk is way too great, with little to no reward.  Contrary to what some say, he's not driving up his market value with a few decent games. And it is more likely that by joining this team, paired with this roster, that he drives that market down. So he sits...

I really can't understand how some of you can be so gulliable to believe he's actually injured enough to not be able to pass a physical. Lingering soreness or not, sprains don't trigger a fail. Typical recovery is 4-6 weeks. 8 if you're being super cautious. We are now going to week 21. 21!!!!

Wake up!
thank you DR for your'e expert analysis Hilarious Sad
Reply/Quote
I dunno.. Some people like to say they're not getting older, their getting better. One simple fact of life is that if you're not getting older you're dead.. There are no exceptions to this rule.  Hilarious Hence: Get old or die.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 12:26 PM)seab00 Wrote: thank you DR for your'e expert analysis Hilarious Sad

You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.
Reply/Quote