Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham says . . .
(03-20-2017, 04:53 PM)milksheikh Wrote: The thing I have a problem with is..

If you're going to take a receiver, why extend LaFell?

Why not just take a receiver when LaFell leaves or when he regresses (maybe next season).

Hate to say this but we don't know how well Green's hammy has healed. Last I heard he was at risk of it pulling off the bone if he played, so there's that. There's also the season not too long ago when rex was filling in during the playoff game as a slot receiver because all of the recievers were injured. LaFell is great insurance...
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 08:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we take a WR at #9, I'd want it to be a guy that's going to hit the ground running and start right away. If we take a guy like that, I don't think LaFell would be very valuable in 2017. For one, he makes too much to be a #4 WR, and if he's the #3, he's keeping Boyd from getting serious snaps.

So basically, I'm with milksheikh.

This is where I am...

I'd be totally on board with a receiver but I would want the receiver to start right away and to get rid of LaFell immediately.

Sure, sometimes receivers take some time to develop but having LaFell in there hurts Boyd's development as well. Rather us go receiver next year than this year in a top 10 pick.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 08:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hate to say this but we don't know how well Green's hammy has healed. Last I heard he was at risk of it pulling off the bone if he played, so there's that. There's also the season not too long ago when rex was filling in during the playoff game as a slot receiver because all of the recievers were injured. LaFell is great insurance...

Coming from that perspective..

I can definitely see why a receiver could be valuable, Green being injured or an injury would defintely leave us weak at the position. I wouldn't be completely opposed to a receiver in the 1st round but I see other bigger needs y'know :-)

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 08:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hate to say this but we don't know how well Green's hammy has healed. Last I heard he was at risk of it pulling off the bone if he played, so there's that. There's also the season not too long ago when rex was filling in during the playoff game as a slot receiver because all of the recievers were injured. LaFell is great insurance...

Fair enough. I think we could find solid insurance for cheaper than $5 million, but WR depth has been something I've harped about for years. Even before the 2014 WC game.

I miss the depth we had around 2005 with Chad, Housh, Henry, Kelly Wahington, Tab Perry and Kevin Walter.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 11:15 PM)Shady Wrote: Just heard Lapham predict we go pass rusher at #9.

If one of our top pass rushers isn't there at 9 who is worth that high of a pick, we go "receiver."

So, that could mean Solomon Thomas, the most likely pass rusher to be there?

He didn't specify WR or TE, but we might assume WR. In my mind, that's Ross or Davis.

Doesn't Lap have some kind of record of being good at predicting our picks?

This is scenario A for me....Hope for one of the big 3 DEs to drop to 9, but if they are gone (which they most likely will be) then go with the WR you feel strongest about that remains.

My scenario B is if there is a way to slide back to the middle of round 1, and gain an additional second round pick then you take the WR Ross or Davis (only slide if both are available at 9) and then after selecting the WR in the middle of Rd 1, trade BACK in to the 1st with that extra 2nd rounder we just acquired and get Cam Robinson.

The thing I love about Cam Robinson is that he will provide real competition to Ced at LT, but if Ced somehow wins the job, you have a very capable backup that you can train to play RG for the future and will fill in there after Andre's one year is up.  Plus, how many of us really think Smith is going to make it out of camp without a fat injury (toe, hamstring, etc).

That gives the offense massive improvements in their two biggest areas of weakness:  stability and competition at LT, a potential All-Pro RG, and a vertical threat at X receiver.

I know a lot of us want a DE that can make an impact, but I think there will be solid guys available in the third.  I am about to do a thread on DE Deshawn Hall from Texas A&M and why I think he could be a sleeper pick.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 04:37 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Lap is pretty good. He nailed Zeitler and Eifert early on in the draft process in 2012 and 2013. He went with Roby in 2014, but he said he didn't think Dennard would be there. On draft day in 2015, he told everyone to keep an eye on Cedric Ogbuehi. He was high on a WR last year. He did mention Fuller, and then I read not long ago that our attempted trade up with Texans was for Fuller last year.

The key is Lap and Hoard are allowed in the war room a couple of days before the draft. So he doesn't come out and say that we're taking this guy or that guy, but we need to keep an eye on a couple of names.

Spot on post here about Lapham's track record. I will say that last year he even mentioned if the WR's we were targeting like Fuller, Coleman, and Dotson all came off the board that we would take a look at a William Jackson III or Eli Apple (drafted 10th) as other options. He basically knows the top tier of guys the Bengals want because he has that access to the team. He is someone to take serious for sure on what he says. However, there is still a month to go so the ultimate test will be what he is saying when we are a week out from the draft. However, a Defensive End like Thomas, Barnett, or Charlton is likely (depending how they have them ranked) and I am guessing the current backup options similar to the CB's last year are Corey Davis, John Ross, or Williams (however they have them ranked).
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm warming to the John Ross idea. With him and Green burning down opposite sides of the field, the tight ends should have a field day....
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 09:00 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Coming from that perspective..

I can definitely see why a receiver could be valuable, Green being injured or an injury would defintely leave us weak at the position. I wouldn't be completely opposed to a receiver in the 1st round but I see other bigger needs y'know :-)

IMO, don't pass on higher level of talent for bigger need.  I want the best guy still there at 9, regardless of position.  Face it, it could be WR.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 05:46 PM)McC Wrote: IMO, don't pass on higher level of talent for bigger need.  I want the best guy still there at 9, regardless of position.  Face it, it could be WR.

Yeah, and with this draft class the BPA could be a CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 06:07 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, and with this draft class the BPA could be a CB.

[Image: full?d=1480046998]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 04:53 PM)milksheikh Wrote: The thing I have a problem with is..

If you're going to take a receiver, why extend LaFell?

Why not just take a receiver when LaFell leaves or when he regresses (maybe next season).

Because it was Lafell's first year in our system and he played very well. He should improve in his 2nd.

If the draft doesn't shake out like you want it to we still have an experienced WR that should improve.

(03-20-2017, 05:01 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: LaFell's deal is basically a 1 year deal. If they cut him before the 5th day in the new league year in 2018, they owe him nothing else. The thought is that most WRs take a year or two to develop and we know how Marvin operates. I could see us draft a guy at 9 and start him slow before phasing out LaFell, if the rookie actually shows us something.

Yeah, this even more, it was a good re-signing.

(03-20-2017, 08:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we take a WR at #9, I'd want it to be a guy that's going to hit the ground running and start right away. If we take a guy like that, I don't think LaFell would be very valuable in 2017. For one, he makes too much to be a #4 WR, and if he's the #3, he's keeping Boyd from getting serious snaps.

So basically, I'm with milksheikh.

Don't always get that with a rookie WR even in the top 10.

I am with Bengal Dude.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't always get that with a rookie WR even in the top 10.

I am with Bengal Dude.

Well we're not exactly beggars, so we can be choosers. I'm fine with taking developmental WRs, but not with a top 10 pick. Any player drafted top 10 should be polished enough to start day 1, if he's not, give me the guy who is. Even if it's a different need or position.

So it looks like we have a stand off. Me and Milksheikh vs you and BengalDude. Where are we meeting to settle this like men?  Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Taco or Barnett wouldn't displease me at all.  I've been seeing some hate for Taco and some cooling on Barnett lately, but I don't really get it.  One has a sky high ceiling and has gotten better every year, the other has a good blend of drive and skills.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well we're not exactly beggars, so we can be choosers. I'm fine with taking developmental WRs, but not with a top 10 pick. Any player drafted top 10 should be polished enough to start day 1, if he's not, give me the guy who is. Even if it's a different need or position.

So it looks like we have a stand off. Me and Milksheikh vs you and BengalDude. Where are we meeting to settle this like men?  Ninja

draft OJ Howard and call it a day LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well we're not exactly beggars, so we can be choosers. I'm fine with taking developmental WRs, but not with a top 10 pick. Any player drafted top 10 should be polished enough to start day 1, if he's not, give me the guy who is. Even if it's a different need or position.

Depends on the WR.  Ross has the speed to cut the top off the defense and is also a good route runner.  We need a burner, and neither LaFell or Boyd fit the bill.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 03:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm warming to the John Ross idea. With him and Green burning down opposite sides of the field, the tight ends should have a field day....

And Boyd, and the running game....
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well we're not exactly beggars, so we can be choosers. I'm fine with taking developmental WRs, but not with a top 10 pick. Any player drafted top 10 should be polished enough to start day 1, if he's not, give me the guy who is. Even if it's a different need or position.

Exactly, If we're taking a WR in the top 10, I want him to start immediately across A.J. Green.

We get a top 10 pick after 5-6 years of going to playoffs and picking in the 20s range. We might as well get a franchise kind of defensive player or someone that will make an immediate impact.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:42 PM)pulses Wrote: draft OJ Howard and call it a day LOL

He could be one of those top receivers they're eyeing. Not endorsing it, but he'd be a smart pick in certain ways. MOre dangerous than Eifert in certain ways. No reason not to want that on your team. Our question is about having bigger needs. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:42 PM)pulses Wrote: draft OJ Howard and call it a day LOL

If that happens, I might go to PBS and challenge Mike Brown to a steel cage match like that troll that supposedly hated Denny.

(03-21-2017, 11:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: Depends on the WR.  Ross has the speed to cut the top off the defense and is also a good route runner.  We need a burner, and neither LaFell or Boyd fit the bill.  

I'll give you that, but I just like "safe" picks that are ready to make an immediate impact inside the top 10. You can find speed that needs developed later on in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 12:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If that happens, I might go to PBS and challenge Mike Brown to a steel cage match like that troll that supposedly hated Denny.

I'll give you that, but I just like "safe" picks that are ready to make an immediate impact inside the top 10. You can find speed that needs developed later on in the draft.

Even if you just use Ross in a Chris Henry role, he'll make an immediate impact, though.  To me, I would go with a 4.22 guy who already is a good route runner at 9 over a  low-mid 4.4 guy who needs a lot of work in 4-6. With Ross's speed, they are going to get the ball in his hands.  Another reason I like him is Ross had a very high success rate on the deep post route in college, and Dalton had the highest success rate in the league on the deep post last year.  A 4.22 guy that runs a great deep post combined with the best deep post thrower in the league is a dangerous combo.
Reply/Quote