Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Legal tampering period
Chiefs way overpaid for Taylor wow
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Because they lost 1-2 OL, so it's just replacement.

Bengals could add someone new to OL, but it would mean letting some defensive starter(s) walk.
And they indicated a couple weeks ago their priority is retaining their own, so the big name guys likely aren't happening unless they were already Bengals.

We'll see if we keep our own. We already believe Bates is gone. 

If they keep Pratt, fine, but I wouldn't call it my expectation. We are top 5 in the NFL in cap space and it's already starting to feel like we don't intend to do all that much with it.

My question was why the Chiefs, a team with huge money paid to their QB, a highly paid guard and a highly defensive tackle, can afford to sign a 20M AAV tackle to protect their investment, but we're just gonna...wait?

I was fine with the idea of the Jaguars in 2022 and the Bears in 2023, teams with more cap space than talent on their roster, overspending on the offensive line because I was told that you have to make sacrifices when you have a franchise QB.

But then I see a team with a franchise QB investing in protecting theirs and I get confused.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Because they lost 1-2 OL, so it's just replacement.

Bengals could add someone new to OL, but it would mean letting some defensive starter(s) walk.
And they indicated a couple weeks ago their priority is retaining their own, so the big name guys likely aren't happening unless they were already Bengals.

Yeah hard to see them give Taylor 60M guaranteed over resigning Wilson, Reader and possibly Awuzie. 

They may stay at 28 and take the best tackle available since there is likely one of them still available that would be in the top 40 overall players. You could deal down a few and gain a pick like they did with Carman, Price and Mixon, but they may justify the move because of the 5th year rookie deal for a OT.  A really good player at another position calling changes the plan and then you better have vet trade contingencies.  Either way, any rookie shouldn't be written in pen.  They need to end up with a descent fringe guy like Fant as a bridge player.  Their guy may not come until maybe Wednesday. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:30 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Taylor graded out at 58.7 via PFF last year.

Jonah was 61.2. Collins was 57.9. Carman was 60.7.

Paying $20 million to NOT upgrade the line would be stupid.

Taylor was so low because of his run blocking though, which was 39.7.
His pass blocking was better than all of Jonah, Collins, and Carman. 76.4.
Only 5 sacks allowed and 16 total pressures in 675 pass block snaps.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:32 PM)Garrus Wrote: Chiefs way overpaid for Taylor wow

Word is they want to move him to LT. Still, a lot of money for someone who wasn't that good for 3 years, then has a breakout season in a contract year. Definitely way outside our price range. A trade for Havenstein would be nice because he's a solid RT on what is now looking like a VERY friendly contract.
https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1635345252319125504?cxt=HHwWgIDTmfb19LEtAAAA
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals did say they weren't going to look at external FA much for upgrades and instead focus on internal guys, right?
We probably should believe them.

For sure, Duke & Zac as the leaders representing the Bengals seem fairly transparent with their approach.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:33 PM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah hard to see them give Taylor 60M guaranteed over resigning Wilson, Reader and possibly Awuzie. 

They may stay at 28 and take the best tackle available since there is likely one of them still available that would be in the top 40 overall players. You could deal down a few and gain a pick like they did with Carman, Price and Mixon, but they may justify the move because of the 5th year rookie deal for a OT.  A really good player at another position calling changes the plan and then you better have vet trade contingencies.  Either way, any rookie shouldn't be written in pen.  They need to end up with a descent fringe guy like Fant as a bridge player.  Their guy may not come until maybe Wednesday. 

Yep agreed.

I think they are content with their OL even if we think there's room for improvement.
And it isn't as bad as we think as long as the starters stay healthy.
The OL really tanked when you had Adeniji in for Collins and Scharping in for Cappa.
Improve the depth, and it's still likely an improvement over last year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep agreed.

I think they are content with their OL even if we think there's room for improvement.
And it isn't as bad as we think as long as the starters stay healthy.
The OL really tanked when you had Adeniji in for Collins and Scharping in for Cappa.
Improve the depth, and it's still likely an improvement over last year.

For sure, again lol. They went into the playoffs down 3 starting OL. Zac has to think the AFC Championship game has a different outcome if the 3 OL remained healthy.
Reply/Quote
Commanders sign 2 OL in Andrew Wylie and Nick Gates.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Well you can't claim KC doesn't know what they are doing, but that is a pretty penny.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Even though the Broncos hired Payton and upgraded the OL, I'm not sure to what extent it will overcome Wilson not exhibiting the same talent he flashed when in Seattle. I'm sure Payton can maximize Wilson's talent, but how much does Wilson have left? I think KC still takes the AFC West.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:33 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: We'll see if we keep our own. We already believe Bates is gone. 

If they keep Pratt, fine, but I wouldn't call it my expectation. We are top 5 in the NFL in cap space and it's already starting to feel like we don't intend to do all that much with it.

My question was why the Chiefs, a team with huge money paid to their QB, a highly paid guard and a highly defensive tackle, can afford to sign a 20M AAV tackle to protect their investment, but we're just gonna...wait?

I was fine with the idea of the Jaguars in 2022 and the Bears in 2023, teams with more cap space than talent on their roster, overspending on the offensive line because I was told that you have to make sacrifices when you have a franchise QB.

But then I see a team with a franchise QB investing in protecting theirs and I get confused.

Go look at their cap distribution.

Yes, they have Mahomes at $49.3 mill this year cap space.
Jones at $28.3 mill.
Thuney at $22.1 mill.
Kelce at $14.8 mill.

But other than Justin Reid ($12.7 mill) and MVS ($11 mill), they got no one else above their kicker ($5.1 mill).
They are able to do what they do because they don't have a plethora of mid-to-high-priced vets.
They're getting by with a bunch of guys on rookie contracts:
- CEH
- Trent McDuffie
- George Karlaftis
- L'Jarius Sneed
- Nick Bolton
- Creed Humphrey
- Trey Smith

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but they are able to do what they do because many of their rookie contract guys are key contributors. The Bengals have had to rely heavily on veteran guys to have their run.
If they can draft better and/or force their rookies into action even if they don't do great initially (e.g. if they put Dax Hill right into FS instead of tagging Bates), they could probably look to do the same.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Schefter must have took a lunch break. I still think we rely too much on what he and PFF do in their fields.
Reply/Quote
Don’t think I’ve seen a lb deal that’s made me sit up and go oh shit yet.

Makes me hope that we bring Pratt back, we will already be working on a deal with Bell.

I’m happy doing nothing for a couple of days if it means those two are back in the building then we see what the market is for a good TE, RB and DE
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Go look at their cap distribution.

Yes, they have Mahomes at $49.3 mill this year cap space.
Jones at $28.3 mill.
Thuney at $22.1 mill.
Kelce at $14.8 mill.

But other than Justin Reid ($12.7 mill) and MVS ($11 mill), they got no one else above their kicker ($5.1 mill).
They are able to do what they do because they don't have a plethora of mid-to-high-priced vets.
They're getting by with a bunch of guys on rookie contracts:
- CEH
- Trent McDuffie
- George Karlaftis
- L'Jarius Sneed
- Nick Bolton
- Creed Humphrey
- Trey Smith

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but they are able to do what they do because many of their rookie contract guys are key contributors. The Bengals have had to rely heavily on veteran guys to have their run.
If they can draft better and/or force their rookies into action even if they don't do great initially (e.g. if they put Dax Hill right into FS instead of tagging Bates), they could probably look to do the same.

This is exactly why I hesitate to sign Higgins. 

Investing so much money in WR just isn't the way. I'd rather take care of the OL and DL and let Burrow and Chase cook and draft a Higgins replacement. 

I am kind of getting pissed off that the Bengals won't do what it takes to get a good tackle. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Pratt has signed yessssss
Reply/Quote
Pratt back to the Bengals. 3 year $21M
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:40 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Commanders sign 2 OL in Andrew Wylie and Nick Gates.

I think they are missing a huge piece. They do not have a good QB yet.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Looking forward to Playoff P's best football to come!
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Glad I'm wrong Pratt is back!
Reply/Quote