Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(05-28-2015, 04:48 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: There are not enough high living wage jobs for all the working adults living in this country. Some people are just going to have to work at jobs that are always going to be at the bottom ring of our pay scale. It's just a mathematical fact.

There are teacher and nursing shortages in most parts of the US right now....many pay a very good wage...to name a few going unfilled.
(06-01-2015, 12:31 AM)Beaker Wrote: There are teacher and nursing shortages in most parts of the US right now....many pay a very good wage...to name a few going unfilled.

The unfortunate part about that is that those are jobs that require something that just can't be taught. You can go to school for teaching and on paper look like you will do great, but there is something innate in teachers that makes them good at what they do. Same for nursing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-01-2015, 07:43 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The unfortunate part about that is that those are jobs that require something that just can't be taught. You can go to school for teaching and on paper look like you will do great, but there is something innate in teachers that makes them good at what they do. Same for nursing.

True...but those were just two examples of good paying jobs going unfilled that I could think of off the top of my head. I'm sure those aren't the only cases.
(06-01-2015, 08:16 AM)Beaker Wrote: True...but those were just two examples of good paying jobs going unfilled that I could think of off the top of my head. I'm sure those aren't the only cases.

Earlier in this thread, I posted links to lists of jobs in demand of people to work them.  A few surprisingly good paying options on those lists.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-01-2015, 08:16 AM)Beaker Wrote: True...but those were just two examples of good paying jobs going unfilled that I could think of off the top of my head. I'm sure those aren't the only cases.

They aren't, but they are two of the most needed in our society.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-01-2015, 12:31 AM)Beaker Wrote: There are teacher and nursing shortages in most parts of the US right now....many pay a very good wage...to name a few going unfilled.

My point is even if those jobs were filled there still isn't enough of them for EVERYONE. There's about 3 unemployed For every job vacancy.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(05-22-2015, 12:41 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: When companies don't pay decent wages what happens?  Welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.

Who pays for those programs?  We do.  Who do we blame?  The government.  The individual.  But, we never blame the companies who pay those shitty wages while they laugh all the way to the bank.

As do their share holders, to whom they are beholden.  And in turn anyone can become a shareholder of those nasty public companies. 

ExxonMobil.....the biggest devil, but making you the safest most consistent profits per share.
(06-01-2015, 10:43 AM)Stewy Wrote: As do their share holders, to whom they are beholden.  And in turn anyone can become a shareholder of those nasty public companies. 

ExxonMobil.....the biggest devil, but making you the safest most consistent profits per share.

Thus, big corporations are the people.

(06-01-2015, 09:44 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: My point is even if those jobs were filled there still isn't enough of them for EVERYONE. There's about 3 unemployed For every job vacancy.

And part of the reason there are "shortages" is schools cut budgets by cutting teachers.  They needs more...they just say they can't afford them.

Same with nurses.  Fewer of them working more hours saves the hospital a couple bucks.

Out local district is talking about laying off 40 teachers at the high school.  They claims its about the drop in population...rather tan the huge debt they've run up and didn't face until this year.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-01-2015, 10:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: And part of the reason there are "shortages" is schools cut budgets by cutting teachers.  They needs more...they just say they can't afford them.

Same with nurses.  Fewer of them working more hours saves the hospital a couple bucks.

Out local district is talking about laying off 40 teachers at the high school.  They claims its about the drop in population...rather tan the huge debt they've run up and didn't face until this year.

That may be true in your district, but not nationwide.

For awhile Alabama was reimbursing college expenses for teachers who got their degree, and worked in Alabama for at least 5 years. South Carolina was paying a $1500 bonus to teach there. Granted, these were a few years ago, but there were other examples too. Here in Ohio, we were cutting teachers, while other parts of the country went begging for teachers.

As for nurses, hospitals cannot get enough to fill staffs. Sinclair Community College here in Ohio has a great nursing program. They have a waiting list to get into the program and are placing an extremely high amount of their graduates.

But again, those are only a few examples. So I don't really buy that there aren't enough jobs available. To me, its more that people won't put in the time or effort to do what is necessary to acquire these jobs. And if it were true that there were not enough jobs, what then is the solution?
(06-01-2015, 11:34 AM)Beaker Wrote: So I don't really buy that there aren't enough jobs available. To me, its more that people won't put in the time or effort to do what is necessary to acquire these jobs. And if it were true that there were not enough jobs, what then is the solution?

It doesn't matter if you "buy it" or not.  the fact is that there are not enough well paying jobs for everyone to have one.  

There are over 6 million people seeking jobs right now.  There are not nearly enough jobs for them.  And even if we were to reach 100% employment there would still be a large portion of the population working jobs that would not provide enough income to raise a family.

So the solution is that the people winning in our system need to help take care of the people who are losing.  The other option is to move on the third world conditions where a large portion of the population lives in unhealthy slum conditions. 
(06-01-2015, 10:43 AM)Stewy Wrote: As do their share holders, to whom they are beholden.  And in turn anyone can become a shareholder of those nasty public companies. 

But you can only become a shareholder if you have a job that provides disposible income above what is needed to live.
(06-01-2015, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So the solution is that the people winning in our system need to help take care of the people who are losing. 

How specifically?
(06-01-2015, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It doesn't matter if you "buy it" or not.  the fact is that there are not enough well paying jobs for everyone to have one.  

Yes it does matter, because it is my opinion that there are enough jobs, and that many people are unwilling to take them because they believe they are above that kind of work, or that the job doesn't pay enough. The job may be low paying, but it can also lead to other better paying jobs.

(06-01-2015, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But you can only become a shareholder if you have a job that provides disposible income above what is needed to live.

When I started out I worked 2 jobs...selling cars and delivering pizzas to make ends meet. Neither job required more than a high school diploma. But both jobs allowed for harder work to earn more income. Cars offered commission pay, and pizza delivery offered tips. And I know plenty of car salespeople who make enough to support a family. A part of it also reuqires you to live within your means. It can be done for those willing to go after it.
This is sort of like asking, Is it possible to travel 5,000 miles on a bicycle? The best answer may not be Yes or No, so much as something like "Why would you want to try?" "With great difficulty" or "Is it really meant to do that?"
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(06-01-2015, 01:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: How specifically?

By paying for programs to make everyone as productive as possible, and then providing direct government assistance to those that just can not make it on their own.
(06-01-2015, 03:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: By paying for programs to make everyone as productive as possible, and then providing direct government assistance to those that just can not make it on their own.

We already have government assistance.

How do we make everyone "as productive as possible"? If you're talking government led infrastructure projects like the interstate hwy system and Hoover dam, you can bet there will be plenty of people claiming disability and looking for that government assistance of yours.
[Image: 1014246_576749592418674_57825428_n.jpg?o...e=55F94DF3]

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-02-2015, 09:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: [Image: 1014246_576749592418674_57825428_n.jpg?o...e=55F94DF3]

People having to degrade themselves publicly to make money is hilarious.
(06-02-2015, 09:26 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: People having to degrade themselves publicly to make money is hilarious.

Hey, If I could have come up with selling Pina Coladas, in the same fashion, when I was young, I would be comfortably retired by now...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23