Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let talk Tackles
(02-02-2021, 08:20 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Has everyone watched this 2019 video breakdown of Sewell against Utah's Bradley Anae who was a 5th round draft pick?

Not as dominating as I think most people on this board would have expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASpzzm0wbE

Say huh?  Shocked

Was he supposed to drive the guy into the ground every down or something because he was a 5th rd pick?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2021, 06:12 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Sewell is a development pick.  He won’t be contributing to a successful 2021 o-line IMHO.

(02-03-2021, 09:33 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I have to agree with you. That is why we have to strengthen our line in free agency with know commodities. We don't have the luxury of waiting for our number 1 draft pick to develop. JaMarr Chase or trade down may be the right pick.

Seriously guys. What are you two smoking?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I just watched New Stripe City's breakdown of Slater, and I have to say I'm impressed. If we think we have to go OT, he'd be a good choice. He really gets to the second level extremely well, and just punishes some LBs.

If I had to take a tackle at #5 (which I personally don't want to), I'd be fine with him or Sewell. I haven't seen enough on Darrisaw to have an opinion. And I think I''d take the best Edge available in Round 2, and I'd take Meinerzz in Round 3 or 4. I might need to take Rondale Moore in 3 and hope Meinerz is still there in the 4th..
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 02:34 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Seriously guys. What are you two smoking?

What am I smoking? What are you smoking? Who has ever heard of a trench athlete coming in as a plug and play o-lineman that young (currently 20 years old), from a tiny HS, missed half his first year due to injury, dominated against a piece of crap conference (I live in Phoenix- I know how crappy my conference is) and chose to sit out a crucial development year?

You actually think this guy is going to hit the ground running amongst 25-30 year old men? I don’t. Down the line? Sure. He’s got HOF potential. Joe needs someone who can significantly contribute in 2021. Sewell doesn’t profile as that.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:55 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: What am I smoking?  What are you smoking?  Who has ever heard of a trench athlete coming in as a plug and play o-lineman that young (currently 20 years old), from a tiny HS, missed half his first year due to injury, dominated against a piece of crap conference (I live in Phoenix- I know how crappy my conference is) and chose to sit out a crucial development year?  

You actually think this guy is going to hit the ground running amongst 25-30 year old men?  I don’t.  Down the line? Sure.  He’s got HOF potential.  Joe needs someone who can significantly contribute in 2021.  Sewell doesn’t profile as that.

I expect every single player in their first year playing to struggle or at the very best be a little inconsistent up and down. I dont care if its Div III or SEC. 

Look at Jonah Williams pinnacle of college football at Alabama who played in a National Championshop game (2?).  In his second year as a pro first time playing was pretty inconsistent. I think he has the skillset and work ethic to improve in his 3rd year but I expected him to have rough edges.

Penei Sewell is a big long rare athlete that plays through the whistle. He has powerful hands that once they are on you you are not getting away. Sewell is a special prospect with an extremely high ceiling who has spent this year working with former NFL Offensive Line Coach Paul Alexander to improve and refine his technique.

If the Bengals don't get a starting offensive tackle in Free Agency and Penei Sewell is on the board I would run to the podium.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 01:46 PM)Synric Wrote: I expect every single player in their first year playing to struggle or at the very best be a little inconsistent up and down. I dont care if its Div III or SEC. 

Look at Jonah Williams pinnacle of college football at Alabama who played in a National Championshop game (2?).  In his second year as a pro first time playing was pretty inconsistent. I think he has the skillset and work ethic to improve in his 3rd year but I expected him to have rough edges.

Penei Sewell is a big long rare athlete that plays through the whistle. He has powerful hands that once they are on you you are not getting away. Sewell is a special prospect with an extremely high ceiling who has spent this year working with former NFL Offensive Line Coach Paul Alexander to improve and refine his technique.

If the Bengals don't get a starting offensive tackle in Free Agency and Penei Sewell is on the board I would run to the podium.

I generally agree that the NFL is a sizable upgrade for college athletes. I generally disagree that 3 or 4 year starters from the SEC are relatively equal to WAC athletes or Sun Belt athletes. History doesn’t bear that out. The PAC 12 has plenty of 4* and 5* athletes. But he is raw. Pure and simple.

If the Bengals FO doesn’t get a tier-one tackle in FA they are bat-**** crazy.

Joe wants Carr (I personally want Pitts). 2021 is really an important year IMO. For Joe, for Zak and for the Bengals. I can’t endorse a pick like Sewell. No matter what his upside is. As I previously said, Orlando Pace took 2.5 to 3 years to play at a pro-bowl level. Joe doesn’t have that time.

*** I just saw Andrew Whitworth on CNBC talking about financial education. I love that guy.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 03:11 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: I generally agree that the NFL is a sizable upgrade for college athletes.  I generally disagree that 3 or 4 year starters from the SEC are relatively equal to WAC athletes or Sun Belt athletes. History doesn’t bear that out.  The PAC 12 has plenty of 4* and 5* athletes.  But he is raw.  Pure and simple.  

If the Bengals FO doesn’t get a tier-one tackle in FA they are bat-**** crazy.

Joe wants Carr (I personally want Pitts).  2021 is really an important year IMO.  For Joe, for Zak and for the Bengals.  I can’t endorse a pick like Sewell.  No matter what his upside is.  As I previously said, Orlando Pace took 2.5 to 3 years to play at a pro-bowl level.  Joe doesn’t have that time.

*** I just saw Andrew Whitworth on CNBC talking about financial education.  I love that guy.

The Draft Network just did a great write up on Penei Sewell vs Rashawn Slater.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/penei-sewell-rashawn-slater-ot1-2021-nfl-draft

Quote:Of course, there is another side of that coin: being huge and fast and long can only account for so many technical deficiencies. But Sewell doesn’t really have many failures in technique. He has independent hand usage on his punches, great timing up the arc, natural angles to the second level, and good vision for combo blocks. Throw in his admirable effort, and there’s no reason to expect that Sewell will get outclassed by NFL technicians in Year 1. And even if he can, he should be a quality NFL athlete and has elite recovery traits to boot.

Don't overthink. Trust the tape and the tape screams elite caliber offensive tackle.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 03:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Don't overthink. Trust the tape and the tape screams elite caliber offensive tackle.

Good discussion!

I believe my own eyes. I’m a former JUCO O-line coach. I live in PAC 12 country. I am not changing my mind based on appeal to authority.

If the Bengals had the luxury to stick Sewell on the interior for a year or two, I would be all onboard. We need a proven LT (I want Trent Williams). Jonah to LG (He had missed 22 of 32 games - too much development time lost - even though I like him). Bobby Hart needs to be replaced or shifted inside in the worst way. We need a plug and play RT who has more than 1.5 years in a bad conference and didn’t take the season off. YMMV.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 12:55 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: You actually think this guy is going to hit the ground running amongst 25-30 year old men?  I don’t.  Down the line? Sure.  He’s got HOF potential.  Joe needs someone who can significantly contribute in 2021.  Sewell doesn’t profile as that.

Simply put. Yes he does.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 03:43 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Good discussion!

I believe my own eyes.  I’m a former JUCO O-line coach.  I live in PAC 12 country. I am not changing my mind based on appeal to authority.

If the Bengals had the luxury to stick Sewell on the interior for a year or two, I would be all onboard.  We need a proven LT (I want Trent Williams).  Jonah to LG (He had missed 22 of 32 games - too much development time lost - even though I like him).  Bobby Hart needs to be replaced or shifted inside in the worst way.  We need a plug and play RT who has more than 1.5 years in a bad conference and didn’t take the season off. YMMV.

Given our Needs Right now as i dont know Free agency gains ill take the Slater kid that plays all spots on the OL.  Worse case he can backup 5 spots best case he takes over for the worst starter left on the OL
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 02:33 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Say huh?  Shocked

Was he supposed to drive the guy into the ground every down or something because he was a 5th rd pick?

Why do you have to be such an A*@? 
I only asked if anybody had seen it and wanted their opinion. This is a forum about Bengals football and the draft. 
Excuse me for posting a link to a video that shows our possible 5th pick struggling a bit. Thought it was of interest.
Instead I get your crappy response "Say huh?". In the future please refrain from replying to any of my post please.

If you watched you will see the 5th round pick held his own against Sewell on most plays. Makes you wonder how he would hold up against superior talent. You may have also been dismayed that when he pulled to clear out the linebacker instead he was stood up clogging the hole.
Maybe you think that is great for a 5th pick overall. I thought it was a bit concerning. I don't want the guy protecting the blind side of Joe Burrow having on the job training. For that reason I would pay big money in FA for a already proven Tackle and Guard.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 09:37 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Why do you have to be such an A*@? 
I only asked if anybody had seen it and wanted their opinion. This is a forum about Bengals football and the draft. 
Excuse me for posting a link to a video that shows our possible 5th pick struggling a bit. Thought it was of interest.
Instead I get your crappy response "Say huh?". In the future please refrain from replying to any of my post please.

If you watched you will see the 5th round pick held his own against Sewell on most plays. Makes you wonder how he would hold up against superior talent. You may have also been dismayed that when he pulled to clear out the linebacker instead he was stood up clogging the hole.
Maybe you think that is great for a 5th pick overall. I thought it was a bit concerning. I don't want the guy protecting the blind side of Joe Burrow having on the job training. For that reason I would pay big money in FA for a already proven Tackle and Guard.

I agree that the Bengals need to fix the line with proven Olinemen in FA. That way they can use the draft for some offensive weapons, oline and some guys to help with the defense. 

My quizzical response was because i didn't see anything that would give someone pause in drafting Sewell in the top 5. I saw one play where Sewell whifffed on a run and #6 completely missed the running back. I saw another play where he put on a spin move but Sewell recovered and got back between him and the QB. I saw one play where he spun and made a tackle on a run play. That was it. 

You said he "held his own". I don't know exactly what that means in this context because every other play, when Sewell got his hands on him, he completely stoned him. 

If someone is expecting Sewell to completely dominate everyone and never miss blocks, they're not thinking straight. The guy is young and needs some work and experience. Just like any other guy. There isn't a single OT in this draft that's going to come in from day one and not miss a block every now and then. The greatest ever, Anthony Munoz, missed blocks, gave up sacks, etc. The good news is, even though i don't think the Bengals will take him, he's been working this year on his technique and should be better than he was last year. 

Sewell isn't perfect but he's the best of the bunch and has the most upside of all of them. 

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 01:46 PM)Synric Wrote: I expect every single player in their first year playing to struggle or at the very best be a little inconsistent up and down. I dont care if its Div III or SEC. 

QFT

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 12:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I agree that the Bengals need to fix the line with proven Olinemen in FA. That way they can use the draft for some offensive weapons, oline and some guys to help with the defense. 

My quizzical response was because i didn't see anything that would give someone pause in drafting Sewell in the top 5. I saw one play where Sewell whifffed on a run and #6 completely missed the running back. I saw another play where he put on a spin move but Sewell recovered and got back between him and the QB. I saw one play where he spun and made a tackle on a run play. That was it. 

You said he "held his own". I don't know exactly what that means in this context because every other play, when Sewell got his hands on him, he completely stoned him. 

If someone is expecting Sewell to completely dominate everyone and never miss blocks, they're not thinking straight. The guy is young and needs some work and experience. Just like any other guy. There isn't a single OT in this draft that's going to come in from day one and not miss a block every now and then. The greatest ever, Anthony Munoz, missed blocks, gave up sacks, etc. The good news is, even though i don't think the Bengals will take him, he's been working this year on his technique and should be better than he was last year. 
Sewell isn't perfect but he's the best of the bunch and has the most upside of all of them. 

What I meant by "hold his own" was that he won some lost some. He was able to get pressure on the QB. The play that Sewell recovered from worries me because he will not recover when that pass rusher is a much better athlete than this 5th round pick. I agree with you that nobody is perfect and will make the block every time. I will not be upset if they pick Sewell I just want to point out that he will be a developmental player like most rookie lineman. Some people may only see the highlight video of Sewell dominating everyone. 
Reply/Quote
I agree with you on Adenji and big Fred.I believe they have a lot of potential.I’m also encouraged by the new O-line coach.O-line is going to be fine.Forget the tackles and go after Chase.Best WR in the draft.Can you imagine Higgins,Boyd,and Chase?
Reply/Quote
I don’t even know who the 5th round player you guys are talking about is, but we probably shouldn’t get too hung up on where he was drafted. Two of our best pass rushers (Geno & Lawson) were 4th round picks after all. Good players do drop into the later rounds sometimes.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 03:43 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Good discussion!

I believe my own eyes.  I’m a former JUCO O-line coach.  I live in PAC 12 country. I am not changing my mind based on appeal to authority.

If the Bengals had the luxury to stick Sewell on the interior for a year or two, I would be all onboard.  We need a proven LT (I want Trent Williams).  Jonah to LG (He had missed 22 of 32 games - too much development time lost - even though I like him).  Bobby Hart needs to be replaced or shifted inside in the worst way.  We need a plug and play RT who has more than 1.5 years in a bad conference and didn’t take the season off. YMMV.

Interesting take at least. 

What are your thoughts on us somehow trading down and taking Leatherwood? Same problem?

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:11 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Well with not much new on here these days I was thinking about tackles. I really like what we have as backup tackle is Adenji and Big Fred. I feel once Adenji gets a couple years in an nfl weight room he has some serious potential. You cant teach great feet and he has them. Our big issue as we all know is at starting rt. I as well as most like Sewell at rt. Not big on moving Jonah there as he is a pass blocker and not a run blocker. The other name that comes up is Slater. I do like him as a tackle but not at all as a rt. He is a pass blocker and not a run blocker just like Jonah. We could always look at adding Moton in fa but if we cant land him I feel a guy like Mayfield would be a better fit at rt than Slater. What are everyones feelings on our backup tackles and a starting rt if we cant land Moton?

I too like Adeniji, like you said, he has great feet and he has long arms and decent technique. I hope we get Moton in FA and if 
Sewell is there you still draft him. I like Slater's versatility but I also like Garrisaw. Hart can go and take that big contract with him.

Jonah can play Guard and would be our best Guard probably right off the bat.

We also will need a Center with Hopkins injured and Price's questionable play. Just hope Pollack can get the most out of these 
guys. Bringing in Pollack and Hobby could be huge for these young guys.

Bottom line is the trenches need attended to on both sides of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 09:58 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Interesting take at least. 

What are your thoughts on us somehow trading down and taking Leatherwood? Same problem?

Last year was a perfect example of what I am talking about. There were 4 OT’s at the top of the draft considered tier-1. Andrew Thomas was taken at #4 with 3 elite years in the SEC. He struggled. If you go by PFF grades finished last amongst then. Jedrick Wills taken 10th had a similar fate and finished 3rd worse. Meckhi Becton taken a pick later finished 2nd among the group. Tristan Wirfs actually was a top tier RT. Many people thought he was destined for Guard. The point is there are few “can’t miss” picks amongst tackles. Especially amongst 20 year olds.

I’d love for the Bengals to trade down. They historically aren’t very good at that. They’re dumb. I would love to come out of this draft with Kyle Piits. Regrettably I don’t see that happening.

Burrow wants Carr. That’s probably were we should go.

Day 2 Leatherwood, Corsi, Jenkins, etc. make the most sense. There is nothing magical about seeing which pick is going to hit or not.

Trent Williams is the #1 FA OL. I’m all in on that.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 04:12 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Last year was a perfect example of what I am talking about. There were 4 OT’s at the top of the draft considered tier-1. Andrew Thomas was taken at #4 with 3 elite years in the SEC. He struggled. If you go by PFF grades finished last amongst then. Jedrick Wills taken 10th had a similar fate and finished 3rd worse. Meckhi Becton taken a pick later finished 2nd among the group. Tristan Wirfs actually was a top tier RT. Many people thought he was destined for Guard. The point is there are few “can’t miss” picks amongst tackles. Especially amongst 20 year olds.

I’d love for the Bengals to trade down. They historically aren’t very good at that. They’re dumb. I would love to come out of this draft with Kyle Piits. Regrettably I don’t see that happening.

Burrow wants Carr. That’s probably were we should go.

Day 2 Leatherwood, Corsi, Jenkins, etc. make the most sense. There is nothing magical about seeing which pick is going to hit or not.

Trent Williams is the #1 FA OL. I’m all in on that.

I assume you mean chase, then later on you mean cosmi? Why would we sign Trent Williams instead of a younger tackle out there? We aren’t competing next year
Reply/Quote