Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let talk Tackles
(02-06-2021, 05:00 PM)Kaiden.Gower Wrote: I assume you mean chase, then later on you mean cosmi? Why would we sign Trent Williams instead of a younger tackle out there? We aren’t competing next year

Yes, my typing is crap.

TW on a 4 year contract would be perfectly okay with me. This whole “on the wrong side of 30” doesn’t really ring true for o-lineman.

I think with substantial upgrades to the line, another skill position athlete (I hate that term - LT is second only to QB for “skill”). Together with Boyd. Mixon . Higgins, under the direction of Burrow. I think we could be a playoff contender for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2021, 08:20 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Has everyone watched this 2019 video breakdown of Sewell against Utah's Bradley Anae who was a 5th round draft pick?

Not as dominating as I think most people on this board would have expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASpzzm0wbE

Is that just one game/player or multiples?

If just one, then I wouldn't get hung up on it. We can dig up college film on every guy drafted in the top 10 for the last 10 years that has one bad game. An easy one that's off the top of my head is how people were talking about how Slater dominated Chase Young?? 

And if we hadn't needed a QB, Chase would have likely been our pick and I wouldn't have been "concerned" about his game tape from one game...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Really if you are talking Tackles then you need to replace (one way or the other) the one that can't play on an island and thus forces us to keep a TE/RB inline all the time - the one and only Bobby Hart. We also need to add Guards so that Michael Jordan never sees another snap. Just giving us bookends who both can play on an island will do wonders for the offense by letting us use our TE as a passing weapon.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 01:37 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Is that just one game/player or multiples?

If just one, then I wouldn't get hung up on it. We can dig up college film on every guy drafted in the top 10 for the last 10 years that has one bad game. An easy one that's off the top of my head is how people were talking about how Slater dominated Chase Young?? 

And if we hadn't needed a QB, Chase would have likely been our pick and I wouldn't have been "concerned" about his game tape from one game...

If he played in the SEC than I can overlook. one game. How many great def tackles has he played against? That one game was against Bradley Anae who was a 5th rounder. When you are taking a guy 5th overall every tape should matter. Why did he struggle against Anae? Was that the best DT he has played against? If so, then I would draft Chase or trade down and get Pitts. The 5th pick should be a great player.. There will be other tackles in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 11:39 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: If he played in the SEC than I can overlook. one game. How many great def tackles has he played against? That one game was against Bradley Anae who was a 5th rounder. When you are taking a guy 5th overall every tape should matter. Why did he struggle against Anae? Was that the best DT he has played against? If so, then I would draft Chase or trade down and get Pitts. The 5th pick should be a great player.. There will be other tackles in this draft.

So Sewell can’t be a great player because he didn’t dominate every single guy he went up against at 19? You realize how silly that sounds right?

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 11:39 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: If he played in the SEC than I can overlook. one game. How many great def tackles has he played against? That one game was against Bradley Anae who was a 5th rounder. When you are taking a guy 5th overall every tape should matter. Why did he struggle against Anae? Was that the best DT he has played against? If so, then I would draft Chase or trade down and get Pitts. The 5th pick should be a great player.. There will be other tackles in this draft.

I'm not sure that your logos argument holds much water, when it comes to attempting to devalue Penei Sewell and his talent, simply because he played at Oregon.  Oregon is a strong program, in a power 5 Conference, been to the CFB Playoff multiple times, and has a not so distant history of turning out some quality NFL OLmen.

Why don't you just say what's really on your mind?  Maybe something like "I'd rather the Bengals not take a Tackle with the #5 pick, I think other positions are a higher priority"?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Speaking of Pac12 Edge Rushers anyone see that Sophomore from Washington Zion Tupuola-Fetui? Kid had 7 sacks and 7 TFL in 3 games. He was one of the biggest breakout guys in 2020. If he has a full season at that level in 2021 Top 10 pick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 12:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So Sewell can’t be a great player because he didn’t dominate every single guy he went up against at 19? You realize how silly that sounds right?

You forgot to add "while only allowing 7 pressures, 2 QB hits, and 0 sacks all year in 926 snaps". Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 01:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You forgot to add "while only allowing 7 pressures, 2 QB hits, and 0 sacks all year in 926 snaps". Lol

One of those pressures was against Utah's Bradlee Anae. It's one of the plays that show Sewells elite athletisim and recovery skills. Anae does a clockwise spin move and swipe Sewells arms so hard it actually turns Sewells shoulders completely away from Anae giving Anae a free lane unimpeded to the QB. How Sewell plants his plants his foot and turns back inside to get in front of Anae is insane. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I have a hard time seeing the Bengals picking Sewell. It makes sense, and I want them to, but it just doesn't seem likely if the two recovers are on the board. I see no way Mikey passes on Chase or Smith if either ones is available. Pitts is a different story.

I believe that the Bengals will be active in free agency on the OL. There are a million reasons for them to be, and one of them is to justify taking another offensive weapon if/when they pick and Sewell is still available.

At tackle, the Bengals are in a weird spot. Their guards are undoubtedly below average (XSF) to awful (everyone else). The tackles are basically one high upside guy that can definitely pass block (Jonah), then one guy that can run block but gets rinsed by any decent pass rusher (Bobby), and two guys that are capable as backups but not guys you really want starting in Adeniji and Johnson. Tackles are in short supply, so it's hard to part with the two young guys. I could honestly see them not drafting or singing a RT this offseason. I'm not really okay with that, but perhaps major upgrades on the inside would make it easier to digest.

If they could sign Thuney, which I'm starting to feel is more likely every day, and maybe replace the center with a better player, perhaps the deficiencies at RT could be covered up a bit more. Jason Kelce is rumored to be on the chopping block. I also love Creed Humphrey in round 2.

Would a line of Jonah-Thuney-Kelce-XSF-Current RT be enough? The right side would still be weak, but 3/5 of the line would be pretty damn great.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 03:38 PM)samhain Wrote: I have a hard time seeing the Bengals picking Sewell.  It makes sense, and I want them to, but it just doesn't seem likely if the two recovers are on the board.  I see no way Mikey passes on Chase or Smith if either ones is available.  Pitts is a different story.  

I believe that the Bengals will be active in free agency on the OL.  There are a million reasons for them to be, and one of them is to justify taking another offensive weapon if/when they pick and Sewell is still available.  

At tackle, the Bengals are in a weird spot.  Their guards are undoubtedly below average (XSF) to awful (everyone else).  The tackles are basically one high upside guy that can definitely pass block (Jonah), then one guy that can run block but gets rinsed by any decent pass rusher (Bobby), and two guys that are capable as backups but not guys you really want starting in Adeniji and Johnson.  Tackles are in short supply, so it's hard to part with the two young guys.  I could honestly see them not drafting or singing a RT this offseason.  I'm not really okay with that, but perhaps major upgrades on the inside would make it easier to digest.

If they could sign Thuney, which I'm starting to feel is more likely every day, and maybe replace the center with a better player, perhaps the deficiencies at RT could be covered up a bit more.  Jason Kelce is rumored to be on the chopping block.  I also love Creed Humphrey in round 2.

Would a line of Jonah-Thuney-Kelce-XSF-Current RT be enough?  The right side would still be weak, but 3/5 of the line would be pretty damn great.

If they can establish a solid, reliable rushing game (more than half of snaps), and do more pass attempts off of PA (rather than just straight drop backs), that line you propose could work very well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 05:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they can establish a solid, reliable rushing game (more than half of snaps), and do more pass attempts off of PA (rather than just straight drop backs), that line you propose could work very well.

I'd much rather have Sewell than a center.  I'd go with Sewell, Thuney and the toaster leavins' from last year as my first choice.  However, I think my first proposed line would pass block their asses off.  You have absolutely no shot at going anywhere in this league without great pass blocking. I'm afraid that Zac's play calling tendencies are pretty well established at this point.  He's going to throw and throw some more, then throw again when he gets another shot.  

Aside form that, I really think they are going to be locked in on getting another WR in round 1.  To me, that means finding a RT on the roster.  It sucks, but I guess stranger things have happened than having guys like Fred or Hakeem developing into quality starters with experience. Realistically, MJ was a huge problem last year, and upgrading him with Thuney could pay off quite a bit.
Reply/Quote
Just did a trade back mock, ended up with chase, Pitts, cosmi, g Wyatt Davis. 2 lower first and a second for my first. Day 1 starting receiver, all the things you can do with Pitts, solid tackle, a high ceiling guard. That's only if we don't ball out on oline in fa then take out cosmi and Davis, put in pass rush and cb. Had Amun Ra St Bromn fall to me at 3. Pretty solid 4 at receiver good pass pro, hopefully happy Joe.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 12:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that your logos argument holds much water, when it comes to attempting to devalue Penei Sewell and his talent, simply because he played at Oregon.  Oregon is a strong program, in a power 5 Conference, been to the CFB Playoff multiple times, and has a not so distant history of turning out some quality NFL OLmen.

Why don't you just say what's really on your mind?  Maybe something like "I'd rather the Bengals not take a Tackle with the #5 pick, I think other positions are a higher priority"?

I would not have a problem with them selecting Sewell with the first pick. I am just trying to point out he has his flaws. If they feel those flaws are not serious then by all means get him at 5.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 11:30 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I would not have a problem with them selecting Sewell with the first pick. I am just trying to point out he has his flaws. If they feel those flaws are not serious then by all means get him at 5.

the bottom line of it is whoever is selected @ 5 needs to be a contributor day 1 of the season.   

Not drafted hurt
Not a project
Not a backup
But takes over his spot as a starter.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 03:38 PM)samhain Wrote: I have a hard time seeing the Bengals picking Sewell.  It makes sense, and I want them to, but it just doesn't seem likely if the two recovers are on the board.  I see no way Mikey passes on Chase or Smith if either ones is available.  Pitts is a different story.  

I believe that the Bengals will be active in free agency on the OL.  There are a million reasons for them to be, and one of them is to justify taking another offensive weapon if/when they pick and Sewell is still available.  

At tackle, the Bengals are in a weird spot.  Their guards are undoubtedly below average (XSF) to awful (everyone else).  The tackles are basically one high upside guy that can definitely pass block (Jonah), then one guy that can run block but gets rinsed by any decent pass rusher (Bobby), and two guys that are capable as backups but not guys you really want starting in Adeniji and Johnson.  Tackles are in short supply, so it's hard to part with the two young guys.  I could honestly see them not drafting or singing a RT this offseason.  I'm not really okay with that, but perhaps major upgrades on the inside would make it easier to digest.

If they could sign Thuney, which I'm starting to feel is more likely every day, and maybe replace the center with a better player, perhaps the deficiencies at RT could be covered up a bit more.  Jason Kelce is rumored to be on the chopping block.  I also love Creed Humphrey in round 2.

Would a line of Jonah-Thuney-Kelce-XSF-Current RT be enough?  The right side would still be weak, but 3/5 of the line would be pretty damn great.

I mean, I would be pretty happy with that Line except for keeping Hart at what he is being paid. I think we could get Moton 
and Kelce and bring back Spain and we would be better off while not keeping Hart and opening up the Draft so we could take
Chase or Pitts, not as big on Smith myself. I think we need a pass catching TE, it is not a coincidence the teams with the best
TE's as weapons keep on going deep in the playoffs and reaching the SB lately.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 03:38 PM)samhain Wrote: I have a hard time seeing the Bengals picking Sewell. It makes sense, and I want them to, but it just doesn't seem likely if the two recovers are on the board. I see no way Mikey passes on Chase or Smith if either ones is available. Pitts is a different story.

I believe that the Bengals will be active in free agency on the OL. There are a million reasons for them to be, and one of them is to justify taking another offensive weapon if/when they pick and Sewell is still available.

At tackle, the Bengals are in a weird spot. Their guards are undoubtedly below average (XSF) to awful (everyone else). The tackles are basically one high upside guy that can definitely pass block (Jonah), then one guy that can run block but gets rinsed by any decent pass rusher (Bobby), and two guys that are capable as backups but not guys you really want starting in Adeniji and Johnson. Tackles are in short supply, so it's hard to part with the two young guys. I could honestly see them not drafting or singing a RT this offseason. I'm not really okay with that, but perhaps major upgrades on the inside would make it easier to digest.

If they could sign Thuney, which I'm starting to feel is more likely every day, and maybe replace the center with a better player, perhaps the deficiencies at RT could be covered up a bit more. Jason Kelce is rumored to be on the chopping block. I also love Creed Humphrey in round 2.

Would a line of Jonah-Thuney-Kelce-XSF-Current RT be enough? The right side would still be weak, but 3/5 of the line would be pretty damn great.
No, you'd have the current RT-- Bobby "Turnstile" Hart still letting good Edge rushers and blitzing LBers get a free runn at Burrow.

Hart has to be replaced!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote

What about trading #5 to New Orleans for Ryan Ramcyzk and #31??  They need to cut cap space badly and we need a good RT.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2021, 09:37 PM)JSR18 Wrote: No, you'd have the current RT-- Bobby "Turnstile" Hart still letting good Edge rushers and blitzing LBers get a free runn at Burrow.

Hart has to be replaced!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hart is not the big problem.  He really does not allow that many sacks compared to other OTs in the league.

Hart could definitely could be upgraded, but our OGs are the biggest problem
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2021, 11:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Hart is not the big problem.  He really does not allow that many sacks compared to other OTs in the league.

Hart could definitely could be upgraded, but our OGs are the biggest problem

Agreed, much of the fault for those perceived whiffs by Hart looked to me to be a complete lack of communication and understanding of assignment on the part of the Guard playing next to him.  Bobby Hart is actually an effective run blocker.  Upgrading the quality of Guard next to Hart could dramatically improve his effectiveness, as well as his perception in the minds of casual observers, by being able to establish a penetrating rushing attack.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote