Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets give Marvin credit this season ....
(10-08-2018, 04:21 PM)McC Wrote: Or maybe just giving credit where credit is due.

Hopefully it's due next Monday.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:54 PM)McC Wrote: I believe in fair mindedness, in being able to take things at face value and not through a lens of what's come before.  In other words, if a thing is good, say it's good.  If someone is quick to criticize, fair mindedness says be willing to compliment too.  Having done things wrong in the past does not mean a person can never do anything right.

I guess the easy way is to puff out one's chest and say he has to show me he can win a playoff game before I ever say anything good about him.  

One thing I've learned on my long and perilous journey on this big blue aggie is the easy way is not always the best way.

But, then again, that is just me and even though I do my best to eliminate things that stand between me and joy, I also know that not everybody sees things like I do, even though time is quick and choosing to wait for joy instead of grabbing it while it's right in front of you is the work of fools.

To sum up, Marvin has screwed up in the past but it looks a whole lot like he's getting things much righter now.  I mean, hell, we have rookie starting at S and he is killing it.

Who would have guessed we would be praising a rookie safety (we had 2 safeties highly paid on the roster and appeared cemented on our roster), a 3rd round DE and our huge need at center filled by a rookie (Price) gets injured in game 2 and we are 4-1 with 3 of 5 on the road. This class is producing early in ways classes have not since AJ and AD.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hopefully it's due next Monday.

Why do our fans want others to go all in on beating the Steelers? I hate them, I want to destroy them, but the fact is we lose on Sunday and we are still 1 game up on them (technically a half game) and lead the division since we own the tie breaker with the Ravens.

If we lose to the Steelers (again), it is one game and we are 4-2. Win or lose the key is how we play the rest of the year. A win guarantees no playoffs, long way to go.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I give Marvin credit in that he's the team has played well thus far. With that said, we all know that true credit won't be given until he finally gets over the hump.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis has made improvements this year and it is evident on the field. We shouldn't criticize for improving, but should reward it with some credit.

If he falls shorts come the playoffs then we can harp on him for that. But for now let's enjoy the improvement.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:19 PM)McC Wrote: There's your problem right there.  This ain't the same.  Anyone can see that. 

And it's been my experience that if you're the only one seeing something a certain way and everybody else see it the opposite, the odds are you're the one who's wrong.  Not crazy pills, just mistaken pills.

I’m not wrong. I’m absolutely correct.

See you’re misconstruing my point.

I like the team, I’m proud of how theyer planying and I’m excited to see them succeed.

I’m not going to extend any sort of complent toward Marvin however until he proves it.

We have seen this before and there are many many years of history to prove that. People got so stocked we beat the ravens in prime time and said things like. This teams diffrent we got the prime time monkey of our backs. Really? I loved that win and it was huge but we crushed a manning lead Denver in prime time not to long ago and everyone said that and where did that lead? But wait we’re winning games we normally lose, what about that? Yeah we’ve done that. I forget exactly what year it was cause they blur together but we were dubbed the cardiac cats because we won a ton of games like that going into the post season. We all got excited because it was diffrent and we won games we normally lose. 2 years ago andy came out with his new faux hawk and was yelling on the side line and trying to be a leader we all wanted. It was diffrent and we were going to do it that year. Oops nope not this time.

I could go on and on but what’s the point. See what you want, you’re entitled to your opinion but don’t tell me I’m wrong just because my opinion is through a different lens. I would love for this to be diffrent and I would love for everyone one in this thread with a diffrent opinion than I to come back in January and tell me I was wrong and things are diffrent. In fact please do that and we can have a laugh at my expense because believe me I want nothing more for this team than a super bowl.

My first year really getting into football was when I was twelve and the bengals went to the super bowl that year! It was amazing and even though they lost I was filled with optimism because they had gone and I assumed they would go again so it was no big deal they lost. I was not prepared for the next 20+ years. Holy crap. And now every year that Marvin pushes this team into the post season only for them to collapse I think this years diffrent. This year is special. It never is. So excuse me if I’m hardened and bitter but of all the things that are diffrent in any given year one thing has always remained the same. MARVIN F’IN LEWIS.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 02:55 PM)motoarch Wrote: When he wins a game that matters I’ll credit.  

Every game matters. 
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:15 PM)motoarch Wrote: I’m a fan of the team not any specific player or coach.  So in that vain screw Marvin until he wins a post season game he gets nothing from me.  Unless you have the shortest of memories he’s done this before.  He done it a lot actually and not delivered.  I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here to be the only one tha feels like I’m reliving Groundhog Day over and over.

Your just regurgitating stuff that’s been said over and over every year we look good.  It’s not new.  Not by a long shot.  

I’ll watch the team and enjoy success as long as it last but I’m not forgiving or giving credit to Marvin for anything till we have post season success.

See you’re mistaking me for a game day whiner and I’m not.  When we lose or are down I don’t throw a fit.  I say well we’ll bouce back next week or hey there’s still time left in this game to get it done.  I’m optimistic like that.  I’m not stupid however.  And after 0-7 playoff record I’ll reserve the right to not get my hopes up with Marvin till he turns the corner.

So how do you feel about Dalton in the playoffs who has looked terrible in EVERY playoff game lost.
Outside of Cincy, people equally blame Dalton for playoff losses.

Two of Marvin's losses were without his starting QB. How can you blame Marvin, when the Squealers went after palmer's knees?
Or the last playoff game when the Hill couldn't secure the ball and our defense lost their composure with multiple penalties, when the game was virtually won.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:10 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: During that time, Marvin has many time management mistakes, refused to play better players at different positions. There were seasons that he had top 5 rosters. That’s why I said in spite of.

Lol, he wins the division and you still whine about his decisions. The greatest coaches ever had time management mistakes or refused to play better players at different positions. {See Belicheck last Superbowl, benching Malcolm Butler} ...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757835-benching-malcolm-butler-was-bill-belichicks-biggest-super-bowl-mistake 

Lombardi made mistakes, Paul Brown made mistakes, every WINNING coach has made mistakes. The only team that went undefeated were the 1972 Miami Dolphins.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 10:15 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: So how do you feel about Dalton in the playoffs who has looked terrible in EVERY playoff game lost.
Outside of Cincy, people equally blame Dalton for playoff losses.

Two of Marvin's losses were without his starting QB. How can you blame Marvin, when the Squealers went after palmer's knees?
Or the last playoff game when the Hill couldn't secure the ball and our defense lost their composure with multiple penalties, when the game was virtually won.

Ok fine that’s still 0-5 in the playoffs and just to refresh your memory both Houston games we had our starting qb vs back up qbs so not havin the start is not a valid argument.

Blame hill but not the poor discipline instilled in jones or burfict. 2 guys that would continually do something heroic only to follow up doing something stupid and never have to pay a consequence so they’d just keep doing it.

To your other point about blaming dalton. Marvin is 0-3 without him and 0-4 with him so as lousy as Dalton’s post season have been Marvin’s record is close to the same with or without him so it’s moot.

I don’t care what the circumstances were in each of the seven post season attempts you’re just creating validation for a guy that has not performed in the post season and that’s his fault. If the problem is dalton it’s his job to get rid of that problem or to find a way to coach around it. He hasn’t done that.

Again I love this team and I love what they’re doing right now but until it manifests itself into a post season win Marvin gets nothing from me.

This is the definition of fair weather fandom. If it’s all falling apart, when we suck it’s his fault when we’re winning he’s a hero and saved us from the nineties. I’m not going to waver I till he proves it.

Of course I’m rooting for the team to win and think they have the talent and fortitude to win big this season but we still have the same old coach that hasn’t gotten over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 10:28 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Lol, he wins the division and you still whine about his decisions. The greatest coaches ever had time management mistakes or refused to play better players at different positions. {See Belicheck last Superbowl, benching Malcolm Butler} ...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757835-benching-malcolm-butler-was-bill-belichicks-biggest-super-bowl-mistake 

Lombardi made mistakes, Paul Brown made mistakes, every WINNING coach has made mistakes. The only team that went undefeated were the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

B.B. has 8 super bowl appearances and won 5. Marvin is 0-7 in the first round of the playoffs. Are you seriously making a comparison?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:28 PM)motoarch Wrote: B.B. has 8 super bowl appearances and won 5.  Marvin is 0-7 in the first round of the playoffs.  Are you seriously making a comparison?

I knew you would go there, that is why I said every coach including Lombardi, Paul Brown, etc.

Let me say it to you again, because you don't understand. B.B. as well as every other coach in History including Don Shula[minus 1972 season], if they have won their division has lost games during the season or championship including the undefeated regular season Chicago bears and New England Patriots. That said every coach in the HISTORY of the NFL, which won their division has made mistakes because no coach is undefeated for their career. Shula has won divisions after 1972, but he made mistakes and lost games, so has Lombardi, Brown, Knoll, etc.

NOT comparing, Lewis to any of these coaches, that was your doing. All I am saying you can't whine and blame Lewis for losses when he won a division and say in spite of him. If I say Green Bay's SB wins were accomplished in spite of Lombardi's regular season mistakes. That is whining.

You can't say a teams positives accomplishments then say despite a coach's decisions. That coach made decisions from training camp, pre season games, cutting players, signing players, regular season games and if they won a division it is not in spite of him, but because of him.       
Reply/Quote
So what? Not my doing? No it’s was yours by even mentioning them.

Let me tell you so you understand. Marvin has never not messed up a playoff run. How cares what other great coaches have done. Despite some mistakes those guys have actually won something. You can’t even have this conversation because Marvin’s never wn a single post season game as a head coach. But where goin to poke holes in bbs record?! Why? To what end?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:54 PM)McC Wrote: I believe in fair mindedness, in being able to take things at face value and not through a lens of what's come before.  In other words, if a thing is good, say it's good.  If someone is quick to criticize, fair mindedness says be willing to compliment too.  Having done things wrong in the past does not mean a person can never do anything right.

I guess the easy way is to puff out one's chest and say he has to show me he can win a playoff game before I ever say anything good about him.  

One thing I've learned on my long and perilous journey on this big blue aggie is the easy way is not always the best way.

But, then again, that is just me and even though I do my best to eliminate things that stand between me and joy, I also know that not everybody sees things like I do, even though time is quick and choosing to wait for joy instead of grabbing it while it's right in front of you is the work of fools.

To sum up, Marvin has screwed up in the past but it looks a whole lot like he's getting things much righter now.  I mean, hell, we have rookie starting at S and he is killing it.

This is a good point.  I hate this team's lack of success in the post season as much as anyone but once the previous season is over, its over. I do not let that get in the way of enjoying the regular season. We are 4 -1 right now and people are worrying about the playoffs. The Bengals fan base reminds me of the Griswold kids going to Wally world. Enjoy the journey and dont worry abt what lies ahead. It will work out in the end.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:13 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: This is a good point.  I hate this team's lack of success in the post season as much as anyone but once the previous season is over, its over. I do not let that get in the way of enjoying the regular season. We are 4 -1 right now and people are worrying about the playoffs. The Bengals fan base reminds me of the Griswold kids going to Wally world. Enjoy the journey and dont worry abt what lies ahead. It will work out in the end.

Good point, we are 4 -1 right now and not 1-4.

Enjoy 2018 for as long as it can take us. It is better to be in the contention then out of it.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:17 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Good point, we are 4 -1 right now and not 1-4.

Enjoy 2018 for as long as it can take us. It is better to be in the contention then out of it.

Exactly!! We cant win the first playoff game of the Marvin ERA without getting there. Take care of business and we have a good of shot as anyone to win this thing.
Reply/Quote
Are we still hypocrites?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 10:28 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Lol, he wins the division and you still whine about his decisions. The greatest coaches ever had time management mistakes or refused to play better players at different positions. {See Belicheck last Superbowl, benching Malcolm Butler} ...

I don’t whine about anything pal. I’m just not gonna praise someone because of reasons like today and playoff games. If you are content, then praise away. I demand that next step before I will praise him. Despite today, I do think that he is getting a little better. I just have higher standards than you do with this particular situation.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:19 PM)McC Wrote: There's your problem right there.  This ain't the same.  Anyone can see that. 

And it's been my experience that if you're the only one seeing something a certain way and everybody else see it the opposite, the odds are you're the one who's wrong.  Not crazy pills, just mistaken pills.

So you want to walk this back?
Reply/Quote
This is the same guy that had some fans melting down because he wasn’t replaced in the off season. I will not heap praise upon Marvin for having the team above dumpster fire level 6 games into the season. Win some games against the upper tier teams first, or for crying out loud at least beat the Steelers!
Reply/Quote