Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lewis Out!!
(12-31-2018, 03:38 PM)sandwedge Wrote: My guess is, it was to emotional for him. He probably went out and sat in the backseat of his Lumina and wept.

Why the backseat?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I am actually surprised Marvin was let go/resigned (yep, Marvin; I'm no longer going with Merv as that term of "endearment" was only used by me because of the fact that he was retained as HC when he should've been let go last season. Now that he's gone, there's no need to call him Merv). Not only am I surprised Marvin's gone, but I'm surprised it happened so soon.

I truly hope, though, that this was Brown's decision and that Marvin had no say in if he stayed or went. It shows just how incompetent Brown is if he gave any serious thought of keeping Marvin another year.

That said, Marvin deserves a tremendous amount of our gratitude. He pulled us out of the 90s and made us into a competitive team more often than not, made us into a playoff team. He was someone that was able to actually work with Brown and build playoff teams - even if he couldn't actually build teams capable of WINNING int he playoffs.

I truly wish Marvin well and thank him for being our coach.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This year was a bad year for higly paid QBs.  This year the 6 highest paid QBs are all staying home for the playoffs.

1. Aaron Rodgers: $33.5M

2. Matt Ryan: $30M
3. Kirk Cousins: $28M
4. Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5M
5. Matthew Stafford: $27M
6. Derek Carr: $25M

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/12/30/highest-paid-quarterbacks-arent-making-the-playoffs-rodgers-garoppolo-cousins-ryan/

I suspect it's because it's still an 11 man team.  You need a good captain, but you all need an equally good crew. Our ship went down after 5 games.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: A lot of times coaches are judged by teams not just by results for their specific units but how they handle the bigger picture stuff. Special teams is always difficulty because you get the "left overs" a lot of times. He has done a pretty good job mixing and matching guys in. We don't put our best players on teams like a KC, Pitt, etc who loan their offensive start to ST for returners and such. We take a guy like Brandon Tate or Alex Erickson and make them above average returners. 

Harbaugh was kind of unheard of when the Ravens hired him. I'm not saying I want him as I pointed out above, but I don't think being ST precludes him.

I feel ya. Harbaugh was a pretty surprising hire though. In fact, I can't think of any other ST coaches getting promoted directly to HC.

(12-31-2018, 03:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not uncommon to interview current staff. More of a courtesy and to show they are on an exhaustive search. 

You're probably right (I hope), but you always have to wonder with Mike Brown.

(12-31-2018, 03:31 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Rumors are Marv to the Cards

Man, things just keep getting worse for them since Arians left.

(12-31-2018, 03:33 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Does this mean that Mike is finally buying a new car too?

Don't get crazy now.

(12-31-2018, 03:39 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: Can we get a subforum for all these Marvin Lewis threads, please?  Ninja

Bet you don't miss that a bit. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That was a great press conference!  Marvin Lewis handled things very well.

He knows not to burn bridges, he knows that after 16 yrs. he may be called back to work for the Browns again for other positions, maybe even better positions (like GM).
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:14 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: He knows not to burn bridges, he knows that after 16 yrs. he may be called back to work for the Browns again for other positions, maybe even better positions (like GM).

Speaking of GM (and off topic), but I saw the Raiders hired a fan favorite here during the draft in Mike Mayock as their new GM.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As everyone throws out all these high end names something to think about from Peter King MMQB (or whatever it's called now)...

Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis out? Does it matter? Jay Glazer had Lewis out on FOX Sunday, and I don’t doubt it. I know Bengals owner Mike Brown, and I know how much he likes regularity, and I also know this would not be a widely sought job. I remember a few years ago discussing the Bengals job with a league executive, who said, “You mean the 33rd franchise?” The Bengals are not progressive, and they are not an attractive franchise, and I can’t imagine a coach who’d have other options wanting to succeed Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: As everyone throws out all these high end names something to think about from Peter King MMQB (or whatever it's called now)...

Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis out? Does it matter? Jay Glazer had Lewis out on FOX Sunday, and I don’t doubt it. I know Bengals owner Mike Brown, and I know how much he likes regularity, and I also know this would not be a widely sought job. I remember a few years ago discussing the Bengals job with a league executive, who said, “You mean the 33rd franchise?” The Bengals are not progressive, and they are not an attractive franchise, and I can’t imagine a coach who’d have other options wanting to succeed Marvin Lewis.

You might be underestimating the ego content of guys who want to be NFL HC's.  And don't forget--there are only 32 of these jobs in the entire universe.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Doesn't much matter, depending on the hire behind it. Godspeed to Marvin. He took this team and made them respectable, for a time. This year is pretty hard to judge, but hopefully we can find a coach to come kick down the door that Marvin has gotten us to.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:21 PM)McC Wrote: You might be underestimating the ego content of guys who want to be NFL HC's.  And don't forget--there are only 32 of these jobs in the entire universe.

And 8 of them open right now, with probably another 6-8 next year. The question is will guys who get left out choose to go back to their current teams and wait until next year versus coming here now?
Reply/Quote
It's weird for me and hasn't quite hit yet.

I started following the team closely in 2003, Marvin's first year. I haven't known anything other than Marvin. I joke with friends/family/coworkers about how Marvin is essentially a second father to me. I've grown up watching his post game pressers and soaking in 'Marv parables' that I've carried with me throughout my daily life.

The last time I felt this way was when Palmer left. I was concerned on what would come next. Low and behold, we drafted Andy/AJ and things were pretty good. Here is to hoping that the next coach makes me quickly forget Saint Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: As everyone throws out all these high end names something to think about from Peter King MMQB (or whatever it's called now)...

Lewis was a hot coach when he choose to come to the Bengals so our last hire was progressive at that time , we were given positive reviews from the media/experts when we hired him.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lewis was a hot coach when he choose to come to the Bengals so our last hire was progressive at that time , we were given positive reviews from the media/experts when we hired him.

That's cool, but again 8 options right now and if you rank them we are probably 7 or 8 on most peoples list. That quote was from an NFL executive not me, so the perception outside isn't the best by our peers. My point is everyone throwing out the big names, think about the 7th or 8th name on your list and tell me how excited you are. For everyone thinking we won't go after the best candidates remember they can tell us no lol. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:21 PM)McC Wrote: You might be underestimating the ego content of guys who want to be NFL HC's.  And don't forget--there are only 32 of these jobs in the entire universe.

Right on. Peter King is an arrogant doosher btw.

Did he not even consider the fact that Marvin Lewis himself was a hot coaching candidate when we hired him in 2003?

...and things were worse back then than they are now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't see what is so undesirable about this job? The lack of movement in free agency is a headache, but even that has started to improve a bit in recent years. If Marvin Lewis' tenure has proven anything to a prospective head coach interviewing for the job, it's that Mike Brown will give you ample job security provided you don't shit the bed completely.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right on. Peter King is an arrogant doosher btw.

Did he not even consider the fact that Marvin Lewis himself was a hot coaching candidate when we hired him in 2003?

Just because you don't like him doesn't make him wrong. The quote isn't fabricated. The slow progress we have made over the last 16 years doesn't excite young hot candidates. Someone will coach the team I am simply pointing out that everyone expecting the top guys are kind of funny. Those guys can go back and wait for next year if they want. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why the backseat?

Because he doesn’t want to spill Diet Coke and shed tears all over the front seat. He has those seat covers, you know, the ones which tie in back...
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:27 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I don't see what is so undesirable about this job?  The lack of movement in free agency is a headache, but even that has started to improve a bit in recent years.  If Marvin Lewis' tenure has proven anything to a prospective head coach interviewing for the job, it's that Mike Brown will give you ample job security provided you don't shit the bed completely.

You don't have a real GM (Cowboys without the prestige). You play in a really strong division now with Browns on the rise. We pay our HC on the lower side of the spectrum. Facilities are average. Window is closing on a lot of our stars. 

I as a fan think we are a better job than 4 or 5 of the opening, but not sure it's going to be seen that way outside.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Just because you don't like him doesn't make him wrong. The quote isn't fabricated. The slow progress we have made over the last 16 years doesn't excite young hot candidates. Someone will coach the team I am simply pointing out that everyone expecting the top guys are kind of funny. Those guys can go back and wait for next year if they want. 

He's not wrong because I don't like him, he's wrong because - again:

Quote:Did he not even consider the fact that Marvin Lewis himself was a hot coaching candidate when we hired him in 2003?

That's a pretty big hole in his theory/statement.
Reply/Quote

I don't buy this for a second. Not an attractive job? Marvin just coached here for 16 years without a playoff win. Job security is pretty much non existent in the NFL unless you are head coach of this franchise. There will be no shortage of interest. 
Reply/Quote