Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lewis Out!!
(12-31-2018, 04:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right on. Peter King is an arrogant doosher btw.

Did he not even consider the fact that Marvin Lewis himself was a hot coaching candidate when we hired him in 2003?

...and things were worse back then than they are now.
Peter King has hated the Bengals for some unknown reason for at least 30 years. I can't remember the last time he said something non-derogatory about the franchise.  And anyway, who the hell asked Peter King?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
To everyone who doesn't like to be told their baby is ugly I get it. I'm just saying, when you don't see the top guys agents reaching out to us to get interviews don't be surprised.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: As everyone throws out all these high end names something to think about from Peter King MMQB (or whatever it's called now)...

Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis out? Does it matter? Jay Glazer had Lewis out on FOX Sunday, and I don’t doubt it. I know Bengals owner Mike Brown, and I know how much he likes regularity, and I also know this would not be a widely sought job. I remember a few years ago discussing the Bengals job with a league executive, who said, “You mean the 33rd franchise?” The Bengals are not progressive, and they are not an attractive franchise, and I can’t imagine a coach who’d have other options wanting to succeed Marvin Lewis.

A couple of millions a year and the dream of going to the Super Bowl entraps so many to be HC for the Bengals during the Mike Brown era. hehe
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: To everyone who doesn't like to be told their baby is ugly I get it. I'm just saying, when you don't see the top guys agents reaching out to us to get interviews don't be surprised.

If we don't interview any good candidates, it will be because Mike wants to go with cheap options "continuity". 

Not because one of 8 NFL head coach openings isn't attractive enough.

For the 3rd time, Marvin Lewis was a hot name when we hired him. A Super Bowl winning DC of possibly the best defense of all-time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we don't interview any good candidates, it will be because Mike wants to go with cheap options "continuity". 

For the 3rd time, Marvin Lewis was a hot name when we hired him. A Super Bowl winning DC of possibly the best defense of all-time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/31/ranking-open-nfl-head-coaching-jobs-best-worst/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.271b1f647529

Well Washington Post also agrees we are the worst opening, but I'm sure they suck too blah blah. Just saying some expectations need tempered. I'm sorry go down that list and honestly I'd prefer the Bengals job over the Dolphins and the Cardinals but after that it's tough to argue that we are a flat out better option with the specter of Mike Brown hanging there. Now if he announced he was stepping down I think we'd be the 3rd best option. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we don't interview any good candidates, it will be because Mike wants to go with cheap options "continuity". 

Yeah, well Marvin wanted some amount of control and he publicly said he wasn't coming back twice...and we got 0 playoff wins out of it.  Mike Brown may as well go back to hiring doormats at HC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin showed that you CAN build a playoff contender here despite the limitations (no GM, no indoor practice facility, frugal FA spending). For whatever reason, Marvin simply did not have it in him to coach a playoff winner.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: To everyone who doesn't like to be told their baby is ugly I get it. I'm just saying, when you don't see the top guys agents reaching out to us to get interviews don't be surprised.

The new guy will be well paid and have job security like nowhere else and if he wins here, the whole world will call him a genius.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I cannot believe it, just saw this! Shocked

Alright, i was thinking he would be back again. We might have hope fellas, bring in Bienemy or someone like him. Cool
Reply/Quote

At the time,  it came down to two candidates, Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin.  While I would have been happy with either one. Marvin had the upswing for his super bowl ring and dominant defensive coach history. He was younger and brought a lot of energy to the players and fans.  In the end however, Tom won playoff games AND 2 super bowls.  To Marvin's credit, we "almost won" one with Carson Palmer if it wasn't for the dirty squeelers. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: That's cool, but again 8 options right now and if you rank them we are probably 7 or 8 on most peoples list. That quote was from an NFL executive not me, so the perception outside isn't the best by our peers. My point is everyone throwing out the big names, think about the 7th or 8th name on your list and tell me how excited you are. For everyone thinking we won't go after the best candidates remember they can tell us no lol. 

I have heard different, some argue since the Browns are patient they wont pull the trigger quick, also some coaches are staying away possible from Cleveland because of the power play of their GM... Young coaches are going to take a job pretty much anywhere.. veteran coaches tend to look for teams not on a total rebuild.

Jets and Arizona look like they are a mess.. Miami quick trigger.. outside of Green Bay and possible Denver for their winning culture.. possible Cleveland , bengals are in the mix totally. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I loved reading that. 

Their “many” probably consists of:
Hue Jackson
Bill Lazor
Darrin Simmons
Vance Joseph

There...”many”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:12 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I can see Hue at HC and Joseph at DC, if Brown is still delusional enough to believe the team is close and the window is still open.

If Brown thinks a rebuild is needed, then he’d probably go outside the organization and Marv coaching tree.

Mike Brown probably thinking the Bengals can’t/won’t rebuild because he just gave big extensions to Atkins and Dunlap. If they were in rebuild mode, no need to extend those guys.

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I have heard different, some argue since the Browns are patient they wont pull the tricker quick, also some coaches are staying away possible from Cleveland because of the power play of their GM... Young coaches are going to take a job pretty much anywhere.. veteran coaches tend to look for teams not on a total rebuild.

Jets and Arizona look like they are a mess.. Miami quick trigger.. outside of Green Bay and possible Denver for their winning culture.. possible Cleveland , bengals are in the mix totally. 

Jet's are a better job Darnold is young and promising, they have a boat load of cap and a willingness to spend according to all reports. I can see them bringing in Bell this off season to give Darnold a weapon along with making a play for a WR. Arizona is a rough sell to me, but Cleveland is a no doubt #1 or 2 job. Dorsey knows how to build a team and they got a ton of talent. Miami I agree may not be attractive, my demand would be I get to pick the QB there because I wouldn't want to be locked in to Tannehill.

The thing that can change a lot of things though is what they are willing to pay. We were paying Marvin on the lower side of head coaches in the league even with all his tenure here. If we are willing to pay the 7 or 8 million a top coach may want then maybe we can talk them in to it.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Their “many” probably consists of:
Hue Jackson
Bill Lazor
Darrin Simmons
Vance Joseph

There...”many”

Technically, that is just a handful.  

Reply/Quote
Makes me wonder what the future holds for Dalton when the next HC takes over. Do they stick with him, or try for a guy like Haskins?

Should we look at college ranks? Dave Shaw or maybe a Tom Herman type?
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lewis was a hot coach when he choose to come to the Bengals so our last hire was progressive at that time , we were given positive reviews from the media/experts when we hired him.

Tom Coughlin was also looked at and wanted the job. I think reporters let their personal feelings dictate what they write instead of facts. I would love to see the source of the guy who said that. I also think it is chicken shit not to allow comments at the bottom of a page when you spew hate like that. 

He used to write for the Cincinnati Enquirer back in the day so maybe he has some kind of bitter memory.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:54 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: Makes me wonder what the future holds for Dalton when the next HC takes over. Do they stick with him, or try for a guy like Haskins?

Should we look at college ranks? Dave Shaw or maybe a Tom Herman type?

Personally I hope Haskins doesn’t declare for the draft yet.

As for Andy Dalton I believe the new coach will retain him and start him for a year much as Marvin Lewis did with respect to Jon Kitna and Carson Palmer.
Reply/Quote
Also, how long ago was "a few years?" Because let's be clear about something. Even during the bad years under Marvin, calling the Bengals the "33rd franchise" is asinine, and any league executive who'd suggest that is clueless.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:55 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Tom Coughlin was also looked at and wanted the job. I think reporters let their personal feelings dictate what they write instead of facts. I would love to see the source of the guy who said that. I also think it is chicken shit not to allow comments at the bottom of a page when you spew hate like that. 

He used to write for the Cincinnati Enquirer back in the day so maybe he has some kind of bitter memory.

He picked the Bengals before the season as his surprise playoff team. Also picked Atkins as DPOY in the pre season. Not sure what magically makes him bias now that didn't before the season. The guy has been embedded in war rooms for drafts and had some of the best sit down interviews in recent memory with top league officials, I trust his sources.
Reply/Quote