Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lewis Out!!
(12-31-2018, 06:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Technically, “many” is subjective, as it’s simply defined as “a large number of.” To Mike Brown, a large number might be 3+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know.  I was just playing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It was time a long ago, but I wish he would stay and be our DC. He showed he can still coach defenses. 

The new HC needs to find a great DC. The question becomes is if the new HC will have the autonomy to fire all coaches and start over or if he is stuck with those on staff now.

I agree that he is a good DC.  But I also think a sweeping change for most if not all the coaching staff.  And Brown has to step down!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:17 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I agree that he is a good DC.  But I also think a sweeping change for most if not all the coaching staff.  And Brown has to step down!

This would be such a revelation, even if it doesn’t work out the way we hope, especially in the short term. But just to strip everything away and start over from scratch. Such a bold move for him tho.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That was a great press conference!  Marvin Lewis handled things very well.

Yes he did.  With class.  

I'm one who felt he needed to go, but I have always thought highly of him

Sure he could be arrogant.  Can't all of us here?

I know I have a lot of faults.  Some of them are very dark.

He needed to be gone.  But I will miss him.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:41 PM)3wt Wrote: Yes he did.  With class.  

I'm one who felt he needed to go, but I have always thought highly of him

Sure he could be arrogant.  Can't all of us here?

I know I have a lot of faults.  Some of them are very dark.

He needed to be gone.  But I will miss him.

Yeah, after being sort of dick at yesterday's presser...I thought he handled himself very well at today's.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nah just pointing out that this idea coaches should be beating down our door to coach here is a bit misguided. It will then turn into "Mike Brown is cheap and hates winning" which may be true but may also not be up to him. Fans spend all offseason talking about why Mike Brown sucks but now expect potential coaches to overlook it. 

We don't have a bubble, we don't sign FA's, we don't pay at the top of the league for coaches, Mike Brown is involved too much......but coaches should overlook that all? Or are we now saying that all is no longer an issue because we need to be appealing to a new shiny toy?

(12-31-2018, 06:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Mike prefers a committee approach on personnel decisions, and generally serves as a tiebreaker if a consensus can't be reached.  It's not the same as also holding the GM title, but it's a lot more power than most HC's have.  

The Bengals actually did spend in FA through the early to middle parts of Marvin's tenure.  They are never going to be one of the top spenders, but they've shown in the past to be a lot more active than in recent years.

Every job has it's Pros and Cons.  Arizona just canned their coach after one year and needs a total rebuild.  With the Jets, you get the NY media circus.  Denver has an egomaniac entrenched as the GM who traded one of their best players at the deadline and made Joseph the scapegoat after failing to find him a QB.  If the Browns don't give Greg Williams the job after the turnaround he pulled off this year, you have to ask yourself seriously how much you want to work for those guys.  Miami and Tampa aren't in good salary cap positions right now.  

McDaniels is in the cat birds seat right now as Bill's heir apparent.  I don't see him bolting unless it's a playoff team like the Chiefs that cans Reid for coming up short in the playoffs.  

A big component is also going to be who you can get for coordinators.  Going to be a lot of former coordinators that just got canned looking to settle back into those jobs.

This ^^^

And in the end, it's one of a select few openings (7 or 8) in the entire world. As you point out, every opening has positives and negatives. You go to Green Bay and they're going to expect an instant SB contender with a wounded Aaron Rodgers, for example. All you have to do is scratch a little beyond surface level to realize none of the available jobs are amazing. That's why they're available. Coaches still want that prestige and some embrace the challenge. 

And to keep pounding the drum that keeps getting ignored, we hired Marvin Lewis when he was a big name candidate. Probably the hottest young name out there. Imo, that's the coup de grace to this whole idea that we can't land anyone half decent. It's already happened. But I guess if we limit the list of names that count as "big names" to only 3-4 guys, that kinda increases the odds that au165 is correct this time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Just in case Hue becomes the next HC anyone want to take bets on how many years he'll get to prove he can't win in the league as a HC?
Marv only got 15 years. Perhaps Hue will break the record and last longer. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 09:15 AM)grampahol Wrote: Just in case Hue becomes the next HC anyone want to take bets on how many years he'll get to prove he can't win in the league as a HC?
Marv only got 15 years. Perhaps Hue will break the record and last longer. 

Hue will not get the job.  Marvin was his link here and now that link is broken.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Reports state MB took notice of the steep number of season ticket holders who did not renew, and low attendance. While I doubt MB reads boards like this, I would tend to assume he has some lackey read them to get some gauge of fan opinion. With that hope, he hopefully knows Jackson will not bring fans back and will only alienate more.

When the ticket office called me to confirm I was not renewing, they asked me why exactly....I told them succinctly, "Marvin Lewis".    I have a feeling they got many of those same answers.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 11:14 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: When the ticket office called me to confirm I was not renewing, they asked me why exactly....I told them succinctly, "Marvin Lewis".    I have a feeling they got many of those same answers.

Call them back and mention HUE also. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 10:47 AM)McC Wrote: Hue will not get the job.  Marvin was his link here and now that link is broken.

It's up to Mike Brown at this point. Rumors are swirling that Hue is the guy that Mike wants, but he knows there's no way to sell him to the fan base. A Hue coached team will lead to another empty stadium. I believe most fans are looking for that breath of fresh air.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:32 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's up to Mike Brown at this point. Rumors are swirling that Hue is the guy that Mike wants, but he knows there's no way to sell him to the fan base. A Hue coached team will lead to another empty stadium. I believe most fans are looking for that breath of fresh air.

Mike will make Hue OC and make him HC if the new HC fails. He is going to stay in control no matter what the fans say.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:42 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Mike will make Hue OC and make him HC if the new HC fails. He is going to stay in control no matter what the fans say.

Dehner mentioned an interesting point. If Marvin actually gets another HC opportunity, he'll most likely want Hue as is OC.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:32 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's up to Mike Brown at this point. Rumors are swirling that Hue is the guy that Mike wants, but he knows there's no way to sell him to the fan base. A Hue coached team will lead to another empty stadium. I believe most fans are looking for that breath of fresh air.

Where are you getting that?  I haven't read anything that supports that.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where are you getting that?  I haven't read anything that supports that.

Some of the media guys on Twitter, I believe Rapien is one, and I am aware of people's feelings towards him. However, they acknowledge that it can't happen because of the backlash it would cause with fans.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 08:02 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Some of the media guys on Twitter, I believe Rapien is one, and I am aware of people's feelings towards him. However, they acknowledge that it can't happen because of the backlash it would cause with fans.

Hmm, sounds like speculation at best, to me.  But, that could be because I'm so obviously biased against Hue Jackson that I don't want to acknowledge him being a "serious" candidate.   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 08:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, sounds like speculation at best, to me.  But, that could be because I'm so obviously biased against Hue Jackson that I don't want to acknowledge him being a "serious" candidate.   LOL

It might be some speculation, but Mike loves Hue. Many of us know that, but it became more apparent to me after learning Mike Brown was actually in favor of the succession plan and it was Hue who balked at it.
Reply/Quote
I mean we know MB likes Hue, so it's hardly surprising that he'd favor him. But come on. There ain't a snowball's chance in hell that he'd be able to sell that to this city. Dehner talked about this on a podcast. If Hue's the guy, they had better be prepared for an empty stadium right off the bat, and they better start winning quickly.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:47 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Dehner mentioned an interesting point. If Marvin actually gets another HC opportunity, he'll most likely want Hue as is OC.

It would be hard to get a team to take one of them let alone two.
Reply/Quote

A 1000 breaths of fresh air actually. The team has a stench of Brown, Merv and Hue.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote