Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lewis Out!!
(12-31-2018, 04:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/31/ranking-open-nfl-head-coaching-jobs-best-worst/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.271b1f647529

Well Washington Post also agrees we are the worst opening, but I'm sure they suck too blah blah. Just saying some expectations need tempered. I'm sorry go down that list and honestly I'd prefer the Bengals job over the Dolphins and the Cardinals but after that it's tough to argue that we are a flat out better option with the specter of Mike Brown hanging there. Now if he announced he was stepping down I think we'd be the 3rd best option. 

This makes no sense. If you love job security, ML got 16 years. Wilkes got 1 year at Arizona and Joseph only 2 years at Denver. I would say far and away the Arizona job is the worst opening.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This makes no sense. If you love job security, ML got 16 years. Wilkes got 1 year at Arizona and Joseph only 2 years at Denver. I would say far and away the Arizona job is the worst opening.

I put Arizona below us as well. I think the outside world views the Mike Brown issue a lot more harshly than us, even though you'd think around here he is Satan. Again, there are only so many jobs but it doesn't mean the true "top" guys don't go back to their jobs for an extra year and sit this cycle out if the right job isn't there like McDaniels did last year. We will get a solid coach, I just don't think it will be the big name guys people are hoping for. 

Heck a lot of those guys have already been announced for interviews with other teams. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/31/ranking-open-nfl-head-coaching-jobs-best-worst/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.271b1f647529

Well Washington Post also agrees we are the worst opening, but I'm sure they suck too blah blah. Just saying some expectations need tempered. I'm sorry go down that list and honestly I'd prefer the Bengals job over the Dolphins and the Cardinals but after that it's tough to argue that we are a flat out better option with the specter of Mike Brown hanging there. Now if he announced he was stepping down I think we'd be the 3rd best option. 

You sure are working hard to prove we are the shit hole of the world.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Jet's are a better job Darnold is young and promising, they have a boat load of cap and a willingness to spend according to all reports. I can see them bringing in Bell this off season to give Darnold a weapon along with making a play for a WR. Arizona is a rough sell to me, but Cleveland is a no doubt #1 or 2 job. Dorsey knows how to build a team and they got a ton of talent. Miami I agree may not be attractive, my demand would be I get to pick the QB there because I wouldn't want to be locked in to Tannehill.

The thing that can change a lot of things though is what they are willing to pay. We were paying Marvin on the lower side of head coaches in the league even with all his tenure here. If we are willing to pay the 7 or 8 million a top coach may want then maybe we can talk them in to it.

Well from a couple experts on NFL network some coaches are leery of the control factor of Dorsey plus he made a terrible pick at OC with Haley and the handling of Hue and Haley was part his fault.. and to be honest they just had success with Williams, why not give it to the coach that finally got them winning... many of the players playing now are not Dorsey picks.. so don;t put him on he turned the Browns around.only. but Mayfield sure looks like a great pick after one season but ive seen other QBs do well 1 season and not continue it.. so lets see what happens
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:03 PM)McC Wrote: You sure are working hard to prove we are the shit hole of the world.

Nah just pointing out that this idea coaches should be beating down our door to coach here is a bit misguided. It will then turn into "Mike Brown is cheap and hates winning" which may be true but may also not be up to him. Fans spend all offseason talking about why Mike Brown sucks but now expect potential coaches to overlook it. 

We don't have a bubble, we don't sign FA's, we don't pay at the top of the league for coaches, Mike Brown is involved too much......but coaches should overlook that all? Or are we now saying that all is no longer an issue because we need to be appealing to a new shiny toy?
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well from a couple experts on NFL network some coaches are leery of the control factor of Dorsey plus he made a terrible pick at OC with Haley and the handling of Hue and Haley was part his fault.. and to be honest they just had success with Williams, why not give it to the coach that finally got them winning... many of the players playing now are not Dorsey picks.. so don;t put him on he turned the Browns around.only. but Mayfield sure looks like a great pick after one season but ive seen other QBs do well 1 season and not continue it.. so lets see what happens

Fair enough. I feel like their fallback is Arians and that is a good fallback. I honestly would take Greg Williams if I was them, but if they don't want him we should interview him down here and let his revenge tour begin. 
Reply/Quote
Marvin is gone. I can be a Bengals fan again. Glad the hiatus only lasted one year. It was a pretty great one though. Watched Ovi win the Stanely Cup, graduated with my M.S., got married, bought a Mustang, etc... Don't let me down Bengals. ThumbsUp
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Today's game? We're comparing 2017 to 2016. 

The Broncos went 9-7 with Siemien in 2016.
The Broncos went 5-11 with Siemien in 2017. (with Vance Joseph)

Elway does need to go, but one of his failures was hiring Vance Joseph. Seriously, what's the love affair with this guy? Took the Broncos, made them worse. He led the 29th ranked defense as DC with the Dolphins. The dude hasn't done anything great in his biggest roles, and people still love him. Why?  

Because of the diversity in his background!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_VBReeKSPs
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nah just pointing out that this idea coaches should be beating down our door to coach here is a bit misguided. It will then turn into "Mike Brown is cheap and hates winning" which may be true but may also not be up to him. Fans spend all offseason talking about why Mike Brown sucks but now expect potential coaches to overlook it. 

We don't have a bubble, we don't sign FA's, we don't pay at the top of the league for coaches, Mike Brown is involved too much......but coaches should overlook that all? Or are we now saying that all is no longer an issue because we need to be appealing to a new shiny toy?

Oh really?
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/29/bengals-marvin-lewis-nfl-highest-paid-coaches-offseason/
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:29 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Oh really?
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/29/bengals-marvin-lewis-nfl-highest-paid-coaches-offseason/

"Close" to the top 10 after 16 years at your job and the 2nd longest tenured head coach in the NFL? You think Brown is going to pay a first time head coach "Close" to top 10 HC money? I bet the Jets will. I expect us to pay a coach in the 5- 6 million range which this year will put them about average I'd guess with this hiring cycle.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: "Close" to the top 10 after 16 years at your job and the 2nd longest tenured head coach in the NFL? You think Brown is going to pay a first time head coach "Close"
to top 10 HC money? I bet the Jets will. I expect us to pay a coach in the 5- 6 million range which this year will put them about average I'd guess with this hiring cycle.

Thats pretty good considering that the coaches above him have all won Super Bowls and have had long tenures just like you have said. Even if you dont average as much, you know you are going to get at least 10 years of paychecks.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:34 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Thats pretty good considering that the coaches above him have all won Super Bowls and have had long tenures just like you have said. Even if you dont average as much, you know you are going to get at least 10 years of paychecks.

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/the-highest-paid-coaches-in-the-nfl-14619706

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl/highest-paid-nfl-coaches-in-2018-plus-how-compare-to-college-football-coaches.html/

These articles have him outside the top 10 behind jason Garrett who definitely doesn't have a SB. Just saying with so many opening big money will talk for these top guys. Maybe I get blown away, I just don't see us throwing down the big cash needed along with the other issues I pointed out.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, but we beat pre-resurrection Luck and Blow Flake-o.  Luck is good again now and the Ravens have a RB with a square head at QB now.

Doesnt change the fact that we beat two playoff teams. Just like it doesnt change the fact that the other teams beat us when we were basically playing second stringers at the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nah just pointing out that this idea coaches should be beating down our door to coach here is a bit misguided. It will then turn into "Mike Brown is cheap and hates winning" which may be true but may also not be up to him. Fans spend all offseason talking about why Mike Brown sucks but now expect potential coaches to overlook it. 

The Bengals certainly aren't a fit for everybody, that's for sure.  

The $6 mil Marvin supposedly got this year would actually put him close to the Top 10 HC's, and everyone in front of him besides Jason Garrett and Ron Rivera has a ring.  Really, Mike McCarthy is the only available candidate that could realistically demand top dollar.  Everyone else has to prove themselves before getting into the deep end of the salary pool.

The big selling points for the Bengals are job security, a good QB situation, plenty of cap space in 2019, and a lot of control over personnel decisions.  That last one is big for some coaches.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Bengals certainly aren't a fit for everybody, that's for sure.  

The $6 mil Marvin supposedly got this year would actually put him close to the Top 10 HC's, and everyone in front of him besides Jason Garrett and Ron Rivera has a ring.  Really, Mike McCarthy is the only available candidate that could realistically demand top dollar.  Everyone else has to prove themselves before getting into the deep end of the salary pool.

The big selling points for the Bengals are job security, a good QB situation, plenty of cap space in 2019, and a lot of control over personnel decisions.  That last one is big for some coaches.  

Lot of control over personnel is debatable. Mike slowly gave Marvin some, but we aren't big FA spenders and I'm sure a new coach will have to earn some of that trust Marvin got in 16 seasons in terms of drafting. 

With that said I can see a Kitchens or one of the top defensive options being interested. This is a big year for offensive "geniuses" to be the hot commodity and so I think if we went against the grain and grabbed a defensive upstart (Matt Eberflus) or Kitchens who is somewhat unproven still we could take a gamble and come up big. I just don't think the Binemy, McDaniels, etc your going to see thrown out are realistic. 
Reply/Quote
Wow. Two things I didn't think I see. Marvin is gone and my Bearcats actually beat Virginia Tech. Tis a good McC day.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:23 PM)McC Wrote: Not to nitpick but Georgia Frontiere owned the Rams like, 40 years ago.

Shoot forgot about her!
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:54 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Shoot forgot about her!

She got hers by virtue of marrying.  Katie'll get hers by virtue of being born.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 05:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Lot of control over personnel is debatable. Mike slowly gave Marvin some, but we aren't big FA spenders and I'm sure a new coach will have to earn some of that trust Marvin got in 16 seasons in terms of drafting. 

With that said I can see a Kitchens or one of the top defensive options being interested. This is a big year for offensive "geniuses" to be the hot commodity and so I think if we went against the grain and grabbed a defensive upstart (Matt Eberflus) or Kitchens who is somewhat unproven still we could take a gamble and come up big. I just don't think the Binemy, McDaniels, etc your going to see thrown out are realistic. 

Mike prefers a committee approach on personnel decisions, and generally serves as a tiebreaker if a consensus can't be reached.  It's not the same as also holding the GM title, but it's a lot more power than most HC's have.  

The Bengals actually did spend in FA through the early to middle parts of Marvin's tenure.  They are never going to be one of the top spenders, but they've shown in the past to be a lot more active than in recent years.

Every job has it's Pros and Cons.  Arizona just canned their coach after one year and needs a total rebuild.  With the Jets, you get the NY media circus.  Denver has an egomaniac entrenched as the GM who traded one of their best players at the deadline and made Joseph the scapegoat after failing to find him a QB.  If the Browns don't give Greg Williams the job after the turnaround he pulled off this year, you have to ask yourself seriously how much you want to work for those guys.  Miami and Tampa aren't in good salary cap positions right now.  

McDaniels is in the cat birds seat right now as Bill's heir apparent.  I don't see him bolting unless it's a playoff team like the Chiefs that cans Reid for coming up short in the playoffs.  

A big component is also going to be who you can get for coordinators.  Going to be a lot of former coordinators that just got canned looking to settle back into those jobs.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:48 PM)McC Wrote: Technically, that is just a handful.  

Technically, “many” is subjective, as it’s simply defined as “a large number of.” To Mike Brown, a large number might be 3+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote