Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lewis Out!!
(12-31-2018, 01:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I loved reading that. 

Finally reported on the home page.  Now I can exhale.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:06 PM)McC Wrote: An already somber day in Crapsburgh gets progressively worse.

This is what I was thinking.  If the Bengals can at least become competitive against them, and if the Browns can become even mildly competent, the Steelers lose their four automatic wins each year. If they end up splitting with both teams each year that's two less wins, which could leave them sitting at home come playoff time.  I think at this point my hatred of the Steelers outweighs my love of the Bengals, so seeing those douchenozzles crying into their piss colored rags brings me untold joy.

OT: It's about 10 years too late, but I'll take it.  Let's just hope they make a good choice for a replacement.  The statement that the search will take several weeks gives me hope that they won't just take the lazy route and hire Hue.  Then again, if they waste time, all the good candidates will be gone.  So it could go badly either way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:08 PM)Synric Wrote: With 8 coaching vacancies the Bengals front office may need to think outside the box. Lincoln Riley anyone?

I think with the recent success of young coaches with the rams and the chargers that that is not out of the realm of possibility. But with 8 other coaching vacancies, I suspect he will get snapped up by another team before the Bengals. But I agree, fresh blood is a must.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:10 PM)GodFather Wrote: I hope they clean house and let the coach they hire get his own guys.
:andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
This is from the Bengals in my email as a season ticket holder. I believe we will not be hiring a coach in the next couple days also the Browns have always been supportive of diversity in the NFL, I would not be surprised if they look at a few non white coaches to take on as HC.

Dear Valued Season Ticket Member,

We wanted you to be among the first to hear that we have decided to mutually part ways with Head Coach Marvin Lewis. The team will begin the search for a new head coach immediately. It expects to review many candidates and anticipates that the process will last several weeks.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: This is from the Bengals in my email as a season ticket holder.  I believe we will not be hiring a coach in the next couple days also the Browns have always been supportive of diversity in the NFL, I would not be surprised if they look at a few non white coaches to take on as HC.  

We wanted you to be among the first to hear that we have decided to mutually part ways with Head Coach Marvin Lewis.  The team will begin the search for a new head coach immediately.  It expects to review many candidates and anticipates that the process will last several weeks.

Well with the Rooney Rule they will at least be interviewing one, which I wonder if their meeting with Hue today was that check box lol
Reply/Quote
Wonder if anyone calls Marvin.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: Wonder if anyone calls Marvin.

Maybe.  The NFL has to know Mike Brown is the issue here, but right now the hot thing is to get an up and coming offensive-minded guy in his 30s.  This is the worst time to be an old defensive-minded HC looking for a job.  Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe.  The NFL has to know Mike Brown is the issue here, but right now the hot thing is to get an up and coming offensive-minded guy in his 30s.  This is the worst time to be an old defensive-minded HC looking for a job.  Time will tell.

Maybe cuz Rooney Rule.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: This is from the Bengals in my email as a season ticket holder.  I believe we will not be hiring a coach in the next couple days also the Browns have always been supportive of diversity in the NFL, I would not be surprised if they look at a few non white coaches to take on as HC.  

We wanted you to be among the first to hear that we have decided to mutually part ways with Head Coach Marvin Lewis.  The team will begin the search for a new head coach immediately.  It expects to review many candidates and anticipates that the process will last several weeks.

16 years the Bengals had a black HC and multiple asst. black coaches.

I hope they hire the best HC and best asst. coaches regardless of the color of their skin. The Bengals have met their Rooney rule by hiring and retaining ML in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: 16 years the Bengals had a black HC and multiple asst. black coaches.

I hope they hire the best HC and best asst. coaches regardless of the color of their skin. The Bengals have met their Rooney rule by hiring and retaining ML in my opinion.

That's not how it works haha. Every opening has to have at least one minority interview.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe.  The NFL has to know Mike Brown is the issue here, but right now the hot thing is to get an up and coming offensive-minded guy in his 30s.  This is the worst time to be an old defensive-minded HC looking for a job.  Time will tell.

I hope our HC hires Marvin as our DC, he is one of the best DC's in the NFL. My guess is he gets another job, if he chooses to come back versus sitting out a year, getting paid by MB and resting.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: If he is leaving you got to think it is to go to Cleveland with Baker....unless Murray comes out and maybe we make a play on him? Otherwise I agree outside the box may be the way to go just not sure where that may be. I honestly think they will call Urban even though he said he is done because of him and his wife's ties to Cincinnati. Not saying he'd be interested but I think they will ask.

I think it will come down to money. Whoever offers him 15 million for his  first year will likely sign him lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: First of all, I really would like to thank Marvin Lewis for bringing the Bengals out of the dark ages of the 1990's. Recent performance aside, he's been a solid coach and in many ways did the impossible of bringing respectability back to this franchise during the 2000's. Those of us who remember (or actually, trying to forget) those dark ages probably thought they would never end but thankfully they did when Lewis was hired. I vividly remember in 2005 watching, through tears, the Bengals clinch their first playoff spot since 1990 and seeing Marvin Lewis' serious face as he was getting a Gatorade shower from Carson Palmer. The Bengals were up big on the Lions at the time, but Lewis was still coaching. He didn't crack a smile or goof around and he had every right to do so. He still kept coaching a game in which was already won and a playoff spot already clinched. I thought to myself, finally the Bengals have a legitimate coach and a much better future. He's had a lot of successes playing for an owner who pinches pennies and was also the victim of some bad luck (Palmer injury, Chris Henry death, Odell Thurman, Dalton injury, all the injuries in the playoff game against the Colts and Texans, etc.).

Secondly, I hate anyone losing a job no matter who they are or what they did. It was time for Lewis to move on though. If they promote Hue as coach, I am not going to be happy and will think the move of firing Lewis was dumb. I don't mind Jackson being on the staff, but, it's time for new, fresh blood to take over the reigns. I really hope Mike Brown isn't going to take the lazy route and hire from within. They need an outside perspective and I will include Mike Zimmer as someone who can provide that should the Vikings let him go.

In any case, I wish Marvin Lewis well in the future and thank him for his work here and in the community. I do echo everyone else by saying "Don't **** this up Mike". Maybe let Katie spearhead this initiative?

Very well said, and I concur. 

Thanks to Marvin for delivering us from the abyss....it was just stale.  It was much too long of a tenure without any postseason success. Best wishes moving forward.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: That's not how it works haha. Every opening has to have at least one minority interview.

I understand. I have hired tens of thousands of people over my 44 year career. Some interviews last 1 hour, some last 5 minutes. My point being they could interview Hue today, then call it a day on other black coaches to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: That's not how it works haha. Every opening has to have at least one minority interview.

That’s what the 11am meeting with Hue was probably about. An interview.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hope our HC hires Marvin as our DC, he is one of the best DC's in the NFL. My guess is he gets another job, if he chooses to come back versus sitting out a year, getting paid by MB and resting.

This would be too goofy for even this franchise.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well with the Rooney Rule they will at least be interviewing one, which I wonder if their meeting with Hue today was that check box lol

No way the Bengals have been one of the most progressive franchises in the NFL in this area.. this is not checking the box for them
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I understand. I have hired tens of thousands of people over my 44 year career. Some interviews last 1 hour, some last 5 minutes. My point being they could interview Hue today, then call it a day on other black coaches to satisfy the Rooney rule.

Nah there is some wording about good faith my guess is it would require a "normal" interview. Now I said earlier in the thread that could have been the Hue meeting earlier, that could be Vance Joesph down the road. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 01:12 PM)depthchart Wrote: The House just fell on the "wicked witch of the east" yet the "wicked witch of the west" still owns the team and may hire an even lesser witch to replace Marv.

This could still implode from here...

Believe me, I know all too well it could.

Having said that, Piano Man is gone, Zampese, and now Marvin.  Almost 60 years of combined tenure has been shown the door in a year and a half. That's SO "un-Mike Brown".

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote