Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local News anchor fired for Facebook Comments
(04-01-2016, 09:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The way it sounded to me was that all young black males in that area have multiple siblings from multiple fathers and their mothers work multiple jobs, but seeing one of them work hard instead of being a criminal gave her some hope.

And it most definitely was a stereotype of his race.  

Impoverished, single- parents homes are the demographic of that area though. She brought race into it, making it a racial stereotype, so I do agree with you there. But it's an assumption backed by the demographic data, not just a stereotype.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(04-01-2016, 11:10 AM)Benton Wrote: Her statement wasn't racist, but as a news person, she can't say that.

A friend of mine is a judge. We were talking one time and he chided me a bit for my coverage of a murder trial. Basically, he was going to have to move it to another county because my stories had tainted the jury pool. When the jurors were asked by one (or both for all I know) of the attorneys if they knew anything about the murder, almost all of them said they knew what they'd read in the paper.

This anchor said the killers are young black men with multiple fathers. Whether they are or not, it already alters public perception. Everyone who follows her social media and everyone they talk to are potentially skewed toward having that mental picture. 
Tainting the jury pool is a problem, but I don't think people should be censored from speaking free and publicly for that reason. Other than that, I agree, and it's why I can't say WTAE is wrong. She was an anchor; not an opinion writer or commentator. I would be more defensive toward not firing her if she was a conservative talk show commentator (local or national, doesn't matter) who posted these comments.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
How dare she assume those mothers work multiple jobs...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The problem I had is the story about the worker came across as, "There are good ones too." I had a grandfather who thought he was enlightened when he informed me that they weren't all bad. I'm not saying that's what she meant, but it sure came across that way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-01-2016, 04:46 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The problem I had is the story about the worker came across as, "There are good ones too."  I had a grandfather who thought he was enlightened when he informed me that they weren't all bad.  I'm not saying that's what she meant, but it sure came across that way.

Yeah for someone with 21 Emmys and who had been in on the air in Pittsburgh for 18 years it was not very well thought out.

But, again, it wasn't the first time she had caused a stir with one of her personal posts.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-01-2016, 04:34 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Tainting the jury pool is a problem, but I don't think people should be censored from speaking free and publicly for that reason. Other than that, I agree, and it's why I can't say WTAE is wrong. She was an anchor; not an opinion writer or commentator. I would be more defensive toward not firing her if she was a conservative talk show commentator (local or national, doesn't matter) who posted these comments.

People, no. News media, yes. Reporters are never really off the clock. It's no different than if she had said it on air. When you're in a position where people are supposed to believe what say, you have to keep it to the facts.
(04-01-2016, 04:19 PM)6andcounting Wrote:  But it's an assumption backed by the demographic data, not just a stereotype.

It is exactly a stereo type.  And I have agreed that stereotypes are usually based in truth.  But they become a problem when you judge individuals based on group stereotypes.  The busboy she praised for overcoming the the hardship of having a philandering father with multiple children from multiple women could have came from a very stable home.

How would you feel if you had a great father and some strange women praised you for overcoming the sins of your no-good cheating father?
(04-01-2016, 10:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is exactly a stereo type.  And I have agreed that stereotypes are usually based in truth.  But they become a problem when you judge individuals based on group stereotypes.  The busboy she praised for overcoming the the hardship of having a philandering father with multiple children from multiple women could have came from a very stable home.

How would you feel if you had a great father and some strange women praised you for overcoming the sins of your no-good cheating father?

Just to play off your notion, what I find interesting is that the same people who are up in arms defending this woman's right to generalize based on race probably get all pissy when people tell them "Oh, well you're white so you had a lot of help getting where you are today."
(04-01-2016, 10:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is exactly a stereo type.  And I have agreed that stereotypes are usually based in truth.  But they become a problem when you judge individuals based on group stereotypes.  The busboy she praised for overcoming the the hardship of having a philandering father with multiple children from multiple women could have came from a very stable home.

Is this like asserting all white folks have an advantage because they are white?

Lol. Those darn analogies of yours again.

Stereotypes are derived from certain ethnic, racial, or religious groups Fred. Unless you are stereotyping all white men as cheaters... which would not be based in truth.
(04-02-2016, 12:14 PM)Vlad Wrote: Lol. Those darn analogies of yours again.

Stereotypes are derived from certain ethnic, racial, or religious groups Fred. Unless you are stereotyping all white men as cheaters... which would not be based in truth.

Come visit our area of PA...I'll show just as many white kids (probably more) who have siblings from multiple fathers and are welfare lifers and never held a job.

In fact the last two or three robberies were white guys got on camera.  Other than drugs it is rare to see a black person around here on trial for a crime like a shooting or a theft.

Stereotypes are the lazy man's way of talking about a group of people.
(04-02-2016, 11:59 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Is this like asserting all white folks have an advantage because they are white?

Close, but not quite.

It would be like saying that no white person ever had to overcome adversity.  And I know that allegation offends you.

So now do you agree that this woman should have been fired?
(04-02-2016, 12:14 PM)Vlad Wrote: Lol. Those darn analogies of yours again.

Not surprised that the point went over your head.

It DOESN'T MATTER if the stereotype is based on a real trait of a certain group.  It is STILL WRONG to judge an individual based on a stereotype.
(04-02-2016, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Close, but not quite.

It would be like saying that no white person ever had to overcome adversity.  And I know that allegation offends you.

So now do you agree that this woman should have been fired?

I agree she did a very stupid thing; regardless of the validity.

Reprimanded, suspension, and counseling at her expense; sure.

Fired; seems extreme for a 18 year veteran. But it is their company.

(04-02-2016, 12:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree she did a very stupid thing; regardless of the validity.

Reprimanded, suspension, and counseling at her expense; sure.

Fired; seems extreme for a 18 year veteran. But it is their company.

They may as well just fire her.  She's white and rich so she'll get handed a job in no time, anyways.
(04-02-2016, 12:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They may as well just fire her.  She's white and rich so she'll get handed a job in no time, anyways.

She went to Disney. <-- That link has another time she had to apology for saying something perceived to be racist also.

Her husband is a cardiologist. <-- That link has the edit history of the post that got her in trouble also.

She's fine.

Smirk
(04-02-2016, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It DOESN'T MATTER if the stereotype is based on a real trait of a certain group.  It is STILL WRONG to judge an individual based on a stereotype.

Words to live by. Now everyone who never does this or has never done this please raise their hand...

(04-02-2016, 01:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Words to live by. Now everyone who never does this or has never done this please raise their hand...

Where do you think white privilege falls in regards to these words to live by?
(04-02-2016, 01:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Words to live by. Now everyone who never does this or has never done this please raise their hand...

Yes
(04-02-2016, 12:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They may as well just fire her.  She's white and rich so she'll get handed a job in no time, anyways.

I might be wrong but this could be some of those stereotypes that Fred was talking about.