Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Ross is playing this week
(10-26-2017, 11:45 AM)Trademark Wrote:
Good news

Is our O Line playing ?......Then it doesn't matter if the best WR's, RB's and QB ever are playing for us, let alone a rookie off injured list with no experience.   We could have the best WR's, RB's, QB in the NFL right now, but our huge problem is...Our Offensive Line Is Playing This Week. ....Oh, that Steelers game Dalton took some real shots. Teams on schedule like Denver. We better have our back-ups ready. The first rule of football is protect the Super Star. Protect the quarterback. This lousy O Line won't be able to do it over a 16 game season. Even Colts might lay their hits on Dalton. As I said before season, we better have McCarron and the guy on reserve team ready to suit up with this O Line.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 04:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This is first game Ross plays with Laser as the OC so I say stop the snarly comments and see if Ross is used in a more productive way and can stay healthy. Players get hurt, talented players get hurt. My hope is he turns into a faster Antonio Brown

Yeah I dont think so..  Coffee
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 02:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Yeah Im trying to catch up in the whole convo and the dots aren't connecting for me. lol

Bengals best formations would be 

Ross Erickson Kroft Green

Mixon/Gio

or 

Ross Erickson Green
Gio Mixon

with the ability to flex one into the slot for a mismatch. 

(10-26-2017, 02:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sounds great to me, and some formations like the bolded would get Gio more involved in the passing game, which we really need to do.

Get our best players on the field and give them some flexibility. Both Mixon and Gio are good receivers.

This ^

We ain't smash mouthing anybody. We need our play makers on the field ! The Hewitt/Hill backfield is basically useless with this O-line.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 11:57 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Apparently they are going to mix it up with him this time around. Instead of doing the reverse from right to left, they will try it left to right.

You misunderstood mix it up...  that means hes going to sit on the bench beside mixon.
Reply/Quote
My little bit of hope I got left for playoffs relys on John Ross. He's the only guy they will put out wide and give targets too I think. They definitely won't put Malone in for a whole game because he was drafted lower. Brandon lafell is not a #2 in this league,he doesn't have the speed for it. He needs to be in the slot or 4th . Lafell might flourish as a slot. I'm just worried about will they actually play Ross enough snaps,will he stay healthy or is he brittle ,because face it he's small. Brown looks bigger then ross.if Ross can maintain the 2 spot this Sunday which I'm excited to find out. And we feed mixon more like we should I think we can go on a big win streak to set us up for a wild card spot.as for the o line ,obugi is horrible and bodine,if they'd atleast replace one of them guys then we can talk about going far.
Reply/Quote
We've all had an opportunity to see a bunch of college videos of Ross. The man is a bona fide receiver and football player, not just some track guy. He doesn't need gimmick plays.

Now if they say he doesn't know the playbook, and isn't where he's supposed to be at times, then that's different. But I haven't seen or heard anything like that.
Reply/Quote
Didn't Lazor make a comment about Marvin deciding who gets playing time? I remember him being asked about someone (I believe Mixon) and he made a comment about him not deciding who gets playing time. With all of the comments Marvin has been making about Ross, we're looking at 5-10 snaps at best. I figure Ross will spend most if not all of the rest of the season getting reverses, sweeps, and playing decoy.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 04:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm excited to see Ross and hope he's more involved than just a few sweep plays.
I look to the opposite side of Sunday's game to see what John Ross could be - T.Y. Hilton with even faster speed. He's just as shifty, as good of a route runner, and great YAC (at least based on college tape).
Hilton is only 5'9" and 178 lbs but has put up 1000+ yards every year except his rookie year (861 that year) and is on pace for over 1000 yards again this year. He also led the league in yardage last year at 1448 yards. If Ross can stay mostly healthy going forward, I think he could be more productive than T.Y. over their careers.

Hilton is a good comparison, even though Ross is a little bigger and faster. Speaking of Hilton, him going for 1000 yards with Brissett just proves that Andrew Luck didn't "make" him. Luck apologists are always knocking his weapons.

(10-27-2017, 09:49 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Didn't Lazor make a comment about Marvin deciding who gets playing time? I remember him being asked about someone (I believe Mixon) and he made a comment about him not deciding who gets playing time. With all of the comments Marvin has been making about Ross, we're looking at 5-10 snaps at best. I figure Ross will spend most if not all of the rest of the season getting reverses, sweeps, and playing decoy.

If true, this is sad. The offensive coordinator should have major say in which players get used in his offense. Of course, some folks on here don't think Marv has any influence on the offense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
AJ, Ross and Mixon on the field will be amazing to see...if it actually works that way. I don't expect much, if anything from John Ross. I'm going for 15 snaps, two catches on three targets. Maybe 15 yards.

That Colts secondary is banged up bad, and is already bad anyways. I expect everyone and their Grandmother to guard AJ Green. Our team's success relies on him. Really need someone else to step up, and Marvin doesn't believe in using rookie talent.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hilton is a good comparison, even though Ross is a little bigger and faster. Speaking of Hilton, him going for 1000 yards with Brissett just proves that Andrew Luck didn't "make" him. Luck apologists are always knocking his weapons.

If true, this is sad. The offensive coordinator should have major say in which players get used in his offense. Of course, some folks on here don't think Marv has any influence on the offense.

It was true. According to Lazor, Marvin decides which players to send out. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I'd think a defensive-minded coach should not be saying which offensive players should be going into the game and leave that to the OC, but what do I know?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 05:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And maybe like 1/4 the diva Brown is, too. ThumbsUp

John Ross is a great man, nothing like AB. Ross doesn't have any diva to him.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Been wanting to see this guy all year, color me excited for Mr. John Ross at WR2.

Wyche nailed it. If Erickson is playing better than Lafell and Boyd use him at Slot with Green and Ross out wide.

WJ3 needs to start over Adam, let Adam stay as the Punt Returner.

Zamp using just reverses with Ross never made sense to me. He has a wide route tree and is extremely quick coming
in and out of his cuts. Use him the way the Stoolers use AB. Ross is not just fast, he is quick too, use it, he is great in
space with the ball in his hands. Can use him on Slants, Screens and Curl routes.

Old Adam is still better than either Kirkpatrick or Dennard.

Will Jack AND Adam, with Shaw in the slot would be the best CBs they can put out there right now.

(10-26-2017, 04:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm excited to see Ross and hope he's more involved than just a few sweep plays.
I look to the opposite side of Sunday's game to see what John Ross could be - T.Y. Hilton with even faster speed. He's just as shifty, as good of a route runner, and great YAC (at least based on college tape).
Hilton is only 5'9" and 178 lbs but has put up 1000+ yards every year except his rookie year (861 that year) and is on pace for over 1000 yards again this year. He also led the league in yardage last year at 1448 yards. If Ross can stay mostly healthy going forward, I think he could be more productive than T.Y. over their careers.

- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - --

By the way...

Brandon LaFell: 90.7% offensive snaps, 19/136 (7.2)/1 ...(32 targets)
Tyler Boyd: 31.6% offensive snaps, 6/43 (7.2)/0 ...(9 targets)
Alex Erickson: 28.6% offensive snaps, 6/96 (16.0)/0 ...(8 targets)
Cody Core: 17.2% offensive snaps, 0/0 (0.0)/0 ...(4 targets)

Having LaFell and Boyd out there at the same time is redundant. Young Boyd is basically old LaFell, both not good. Core has also been a bum thus far. Erickson needs to be getting the 2nd most snaps at WR on the team.

LaFell should have never been re-signed, and Erickson needs more snaps. Erickson

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was true. According to Lazor, Marvin decides which players to send out. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I'd think a defensive-minded coach should not be saying which offensive players should be going into the game and leave that to the OC, but what do I know?

***** ridiculous is what it is.

He has been handcuffing our OC's forever it seems. Should stay completely out of the OC's bidness man.

Just crazy and it is true cause this shit has been happening every game, play good the first half and then fall on our face in the second.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You know, this is what I don't get. And this is not a knock on Ross in any way, and is a serious question...  his speed at the combine was what a 4.2? That's great and all, and is the combine record, but when matched against everyone else's 4.4s or 4.3s, does that 1 or 2 tenths of a second really make any difference on a 15 yd. route?

It is what the speed opens up. Even if a corner is as fast as Ross remember the CB must start in a back pedal. Doubt any CB in the league can run a 4.3 backwards. To make up for this the CB will play off; thereby, opening up the underneath. Eventually the CB will start to cheat up and then 4.22 is gone.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Old Adam is still better than either Kirkpatrick or Dennard.

Will Jack AND Adam, with Shaw in the slot would be the best CBs they can put out there right now.

I have been very disappointed in Shaw this year. he's been invisible.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ***** ridiculous is what it is.

He has been handcuffing our OC's forever it seems. Should stay completely out of the OC's bidness man.

Just crazy and it is true cause this shit has been happening every game, play good the first half and then fall on our face in the second.

What I want to know is: why? Why would you force your OC to not play the players he feel are the best fit for his offense? Why would you force your OC to stop doing what works simply becaus eyou have a lead in the 2nd half? 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Old Adam is still better than either Kirkpatrick or Dennard.

- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - --

By the way...

Brandon LaFell: 90.7% offensive snaps,  19/136 (7.2)/1 ...(32 targets)
Tyler Boyd: 31.6% offensive snaps, 6/43 (7.2)/0  ...(9 targets)
Alex Erickson: 28.6% offensive snaps, 6/96 (16.0)/0 ...(8 targets)
Cody Core: 17.2% offensive snaps, 0/0 (0.0)/0 ...(4 targets)

Having LaFell and Boyd out there at the same time is redundant. Young Boyd is basically old LaFell, both not good. Core has also been a bum thus far. Erickson needs to be getting the 2nd most snaps at WR on the team.

LaFell should have never been re-signed, and Erickson needs more snaps. Erickson

May I ask why you replied to my post with the Bender clip? What's so inaccurate about my reply?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have been very disappointed in Shaw this year. he's been invisible.

That's probably in large part because if you have Kirkpatrick and Dennard (and Adam to a lesser degree) to pick on, why bother throwing at him? I'm not saying Shaw has been shutdown or anything this year, but if you can pick on Kirkpatrick or Dennard, you pick on them. Even more so because as sure of a tackler as Dennard is, you know his hands are basically made of stone.

(10-27-2017, 03:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: May I ask why you replied to my post with the Bender clip? What's so inaccurate about my reply?

That Ross is going to have a better career than Hilton. Hilton is a top-10 WR right now. Just because Ross is small like him and ran a really fast 40 in his undies doesn't make him better than a top-10 WR who's likely going to finish top-30 if not top-20 all time in receiving yards.

The guy hasn't caught a pass in a game yet, and had 1 catch in the 4th preseason game for 6 yards. He's been hurt twice in that span.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 09:49 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Didn't Lazor make a comment about Marvin deciding who gets playing time? I remember him being asked about someone (I believe Mixon) and he made a comment about him not deciding who gets playing time. With all of the comments Marvin has been making about Ross, we're looking at 5-10 snaps at best. I figure Ross will spend most if not all of the rest of the season getting reverses, sweeps, and playing decoy.
http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28659/bengals-oc-bill-lazor-explains-joe-mixons-lack-of-carries-vs-steelers

IDK, this quote sure seems like lazor decides who plays.

"So you just hit that part of the game where no one's happy with it. And you know, and you may not be aware of it, but in the last two games that we won somewhere between probably two and five of our skill position players were probably pissed at me after the game. ... If we dress three tight ends, three running backs and five wide receivers ... but it's just the fact. That's NFL football. Not everyone is going to be happy with their touches all the time. And I've done it before, so I understand. Some guys handle it better than others, some of them it shows by the look on their face, some of them by their body language, you can tell. It's not the first time."

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What I want to know is: why? Why would you force your OC to not play the players he feel are the best fit for his offense? Why would you force your OC to stop doing what works simply becaus eyou have a lead in the 2nd half? 

I seem to remember after the Cleveland game it was either Lazor or Merv said to ease off the offensive play calling. I replied to a post about it....

After reading Hobspin about Ross today, Ol'Merv just doesn't like rookies IMO.  He said everyone else but him has John's status higher than he sees him..... what an ass!
Reply/Quote