Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Ross is playing this week
I don't go on a limb often, but Bengals are going to not only beat Indy, they will destroy them. But, then 3 straight road games will decide the season. Beat Indy and go 2-1 on the road in that stretch and 5-5 with bunch of home games looming does not look as bad. Won't be easy, but at .500 with six to play is doable. But lots of big ifs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 11:45 AM)Trademark Wrote:
Good news

What a steal that guy was.  Zero receptions, one touch with that one touch resulting in a lost fumble and several games missed due to injury.  We are probably gonna rattle off 9 straight wins now
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's probably in large part because if you have Kirkpatrick and Dennard (and Adam to a lesser degree) to pick on, why bother throwing at him? I'm not saying Shaw has been shutdown or anything this year, but if you can pick on Kirkpatrick or Dennard, you pick on them. Even more so because as sure of a tackler as Dennard is, you know his hands are basically made of stone.

That Ross is going to have a better career than Hilton. Hilton is a top-10 WR right now. Just because Ross is small like him and ran a really fast 40 in his undies doesn't make him better than a top-10 WR who's likely going to finish top-30 if not top-20 all time in receiving yards.

The guy hasn't caught a pass in a game yet, and had 1 catch in the 4th preseason game for 6 yards. He's been hurt twice in that span.

I said COULD, not will. Read better. And I’m not basing that possibility just on Ross being about the same size and his fast 40 time. I’m basing it on college tape.

And most people didn’t think TY Hilton would be as productive as he has been. He also was “just” a small, speedy slot receiver from small school FIU going against mostly inferior competition. Yet here he is now, proving the doubters wrong. Is it so completely out there to think a similar type of player who played against better competition could actually have a chance to be as good or better in the NFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I wonder how many touches he'll get before he injures himself again.

Over/under on 3?
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 09:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I said COULD, not will. Read better. And I’m not basing that possibility just on Ross being about the same size and his fast 40 time. I’m basing it on college tape.

And most people didn’t think TY Hilton would be as productive as he has been. He also was “just” a small, speedy slot receiver from small school FIU going against mostly inferior competition. Yet here he is now, proving the doubters wrong. Is it so completely out there to think a similar type of player who played against better competition could actually have a chance to be as good or better in the NFL?

Oh, I read your "could", but it is still lol-worthy. I mean DeShone Kizer COULD have a better career than Tom Brady. Gotta realize it isn't even close to being probable though.

College really doesn't matter. Otherwise Tim Tebow and Trent Richardson would have about 7 Super Bowls by now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28659/bengals-oc-bill-lazor-explains-joe-mixons-lack-of-carries-vs-steelers

IDK, this quote sure seems like lazor decides who plays.

"So you just hit that part of the game where no one's happy with it. And you know, and you may not be aware of it, but in the last two games that we won somewhere between probably two and five of our skill position players were probably pissed at me after the game. ... If we dress three tight ends, three running backs and five wide receivers ... but it's just the fact. That's NFL football. Not everyone is going to be happy with their touches all the time. And I've done it before, so I understand. Some guys handle it better than others, some of them it shows by the look on their face, some of them by their body language, you can tell. It's not the first time."

http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/25/bill-lazor-says-decisions-playing-time-joe-mixon-marvin-lewis/

I don't know. This seems pretty clear Lazor said Marvin decides playing time.

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If true, this is sad. The offensive coordinator should have major say in which players get used in his offense. Of course, some folks on here don't think Marv has any influence on the offense.

I found the quote. Lazor said that playing time typically goes to Marvin when asked about why Jeremy Hill starts the games and second half.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 10:00 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I found the quote. Lazor said that playing time typically goes to Marvin when asked about why Jeremy Hill starts the games and second half.

Well it makes sense, considering we've been favoring vets over rookies for around 15 years now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 10:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well it makes sense, considering we've been favoring vets over rookies for around 15 years now.

You see vets playing over rookies in a lot of sports. Makes no sense to me...but coaches seem to think it leads to more wins because of less mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 09:58 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/25/bill-lazor-says-decisions-playing-time-joe-mixon-marvin-lewis/

I don't know. This seems pretty clear Lazor said Marvin decides playing time.

Hope not but this could mean not much time for Ross Sunday.

Remember Marvin stating before that Ross needs lots of practice. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 11:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You see vets playing over rookies in a lot of sports. Makes no sense to me...but coaches seem to think it leads to more wins because of less mistakes.

It also could mean fewer wins due to less big plays and more inferior talent on the field. I like coaches that are loyal to winning, not tenure. 

I'm sure Belichick isn't handing jobs to vets over talented rookies.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 03:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What I want to know is: why? Why would you force your OC to not play the players he feel are the best fit for his offense? Why would you force your OC to stop doing what works simply becaus eyou have a lead in the 2nd half? 

That is the question isn't it?

Hard to understand for rational people.

But just because we don't understand it doesn't mean it is not happening.

This has happened with every OC we have ever had under Marv and it is not a coincidence.

(10-27-2017, 03:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28659/bengals-oc-bill-lazor-explains-joe-mixons-lack-of-carries-vs-steelers

IDK, this quote sure seems like lazor decides who plays.

"So you just hit that part of the game where no one's happy with it. And you know, and you may not be aware of it, but in the last two games that we won somewhere between probably two and five of our skill position players were probably pissed at me after the game. ... If we dress three tight ends, three running backs and five wide receivers ... but it's just the fact. That's NFL football. Not everyone is going to be happy with their touches all the time. And I've done it before, so I understand. Some guys handle it better than others, some of them it shows by the look on their face, some of them by their body language, you can tell. It's not the first time."

Still doesn't mean Lazor should be the one the players should be pissed at.

They should be pissed at Marv who consistently sticks his nose in where it does not belong, the Offense.

Stick to what you know and let Lazor do his job, that way atleast he gets a fair shake.

This is handcuffing our entire team. Cannot wait till we are free of this idiot.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2017, 01:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It also could mean fewer wins due to less big plays and more inferior talent on the field. I like coaches that are loyal to winning, not tenure. 

I'm sure Belichick isn't handing jobs to vets over talented rookies.

It isn't complicated, just start the best players.

Sure if a guy fumbles sit him for a stretch but veterans fumble too as we all know.

Everybody and their mother can see who is the better player out of Hill and Mixon.

Except our HC it seems.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 09:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, I read your "could", but it is still lol-worthy. I mean DeShone Kizer COULD have a better career than Tom Brady. Gotta realize it isn't even close to being probable though.

College really doesn't matter. Otherwise Tim Tebow and Trent Richardson would have about 7 Super Bowls by now.

My point is TY Hilton didn’t look as good of a prospect coming out of college as John Ross. Both are similarly built players, extremely agile, and very fast. Not just deep threats. What does TY Hilton possess that Ross doesn’t? Or are you purely basing your “not even close to probable” based solely on Ross hardly playing yet this year?

Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
2 Over/Under how many deep passes will Dalton and Ross misconnect on? I'm going to guess over with 3.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 12:27 AM)TKUHL Wrote: 2 Over/Under how many deep passes will Dalton and Ross misconnect on? I'm going to guess over with 3.

Well it's not like they've had much time to get chemistry and timing down, so I'd be surprised if Ross hits any big plays yet. I do think they'll test him out once or twice. Just the threat of going deep on the other side of AJ should be valuable. Teams have to respect the speed.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 12:27 AM)TKUHL Wrote: 2 Over/Under how many deep passes will Dalton and Ross misconnect on? I'm going to guess over with 3.

Another optimist!  Sarcasm
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 12:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well it's not like they've had much time to get chemistry and timing down, so I'd be surprised if Ross hits any big plays yet. I do think they'll test him out once or twice. Just the threat of going deep on the other side of AJ should be valuable. Teams have to respect the speed.

Ross CAN have a real impact just by drawing coverage.  You can't easily cover a guy THAT fast.  He CAN have impact without making a catch.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2017, 11:30 AM)redwood Wrote: Ross CAN have a real impact just by drawing coverage.  You can't easily cover a guy THAT fast.  He CAN have impact without making a catch.

Exactly.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
He wasn't what I wanted on draft day but I'm anxious to see him on the field.
Reply/Quote