Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like whit is coming back
(03-01-2017, 09:53 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Andrew Whitworth - T - Bengals
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Bengals will re-sign free agent LT Andrew Whitworth.
Beat reporter Paul Dehner suggests it's already a done deal. Whitworth is the best tackle available in free agency. Re-signing Whitworth means free agent RG Kevin Zeitler likely won't be back.
Source: Paul Dehner on Twitter Mar 1 - 5:04 PM

Cautiously optimistic here but it looks like we have some good news!  Jim O was on with Mo Eggar today and it sounds like they are trying to sign dre, Brandon and Rex, but it's up to Rex if he wants to be here in in maybe a role less than what he wants.

This isn't really good news. I expected to sign Whit, Zeitler  and Kirkpatrick and was hoping we could get a decent free agent to get back to the winning ways. 

I think the Bengals blew this smokescreen of not signing any of these guys just so people would be happy that we signed one or two of them. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 04:19 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: This isn't really good news. I expected to sign Whit, Zeitler  and Kirkpatrick and was hoping we could get a decent free agent to get back to the winning ways. 

I think the Bengals blew this smokescreen of not signing any of these guys just so people would be happy that we signed one or two of them. 

Is the " Bengal brain trust " that smart ? Interesting concept . Smirk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 04:19 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: This isn't really good news. I expected to sign Whit, Zeitler  and Kirkpatrick and was hoping we could get a decent free agent to get back to the winning ways. 

If this is true, I never really trusted them to sign Zeitler....so I'll gladly take Whit's deal being done and them trying to sign Dre, LaFell and Burkhead.  If Whit would have left to go to a contender, I don't trust the FO to pony up long term for Zeitler when they had all season and now he has the ability to walk.  

I get where you're coming from, it's an annual thing to downplay available money and expect guys to walk, but this could have been really messy (again hoping Whit actually signs).  
Reply/Quote
If this holds true....that's a bit of relief for me....and Andy Dalton.  Also...Whit should MOST DEFINITELY retire a Bengal.  He's one of our all time best.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 02:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Oh I wasn't blaming Whit. I actually emphasized that I know it's not Whit's fault. I'm just saying that while I'm relieved Whit will be back, it's hard to get overly excited when - as of now - it looks like we'll return the same line that allowed 41 sacks, sans Zeitler (our 2nd best lineman).

Like I said, they have a lot of work to do yet. Namely replacing the C and figuring out solutions at RT and apparently also RG. It currently looks like a giant mess...even with Whit on board.

Imagine if this is not true and we have CedO, Boling, Bodine, ???, Fisher....Yikes, I will take Whit signing to start with.....That is a giant mess....  Mangold is a MB signing all over it...Bodine was called out last year and even replaced a couple times in games the last couple of years, so they know there is an issue to a point.    Whit, Boling, Mangold, (draft pick, Hopkins, Westerman, FA), (CedO, Fisher, Winston).  At least you shore up the left side and Center and hopefully someone is coached up or steps up on the right side.
Reply/Quote
I keep going back and forth on this issue. If we can keep one of them I'm ok. One part of me says if you draft a RG in the first round, and he's a good player then you have to keep him. The other part of me says that a RG is easier to replace than a LT. Hopefully this ends up being the right choice.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 09:42 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I keep going back and forth on this issue. If we can keep one of them I'm ok. One part of me says if you draft a RG in the first round, and he's a good player then you have to keep him. The other part of me says that a RG is easier to replace than a LT. Hopefully this ends up being the right choice.

To me, if Ogbuehi wasn't such a disaster, you roll with Z.  With that not being the case, you gotta protect the blind side, and I have NO faith whatsoever that C.O. can get that done.  Of course, the reality is, you cut some dead weight and you can EASILY sign both.  Too bad Son of Paul hasn't got sense enough to take a shit when his gut hurts and can't figure this VERY simple reality out.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 11:47 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Any chance they draft a center in Round 2?

Only if he can also play RG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 12:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ditto this. Whit was on the same line that gave up 41 sacks last year. Not saying it's Whit's fault. Just saying that while signing Whit is a good start, it doesn't fix the line. Nor does letting Z walk. They have much work left to do. Btw, I take signing Whit again as an admission that Ogbuehi is a flop.

Totally agree.  They should retain Z and get a C that is competent.  Cut Blodine, Hockaloogie, Peko, and Smackman.  There's a savings of like 15 mil or there abouts (just going off memory)?  It's so simple, it's damn near criminal it hasn't been done already.

Yes, Ogbuehi is a flop, as is Russell (albeit a mid/low rounder), and they can't be coached up by our Hall of Fame line coach.

Reply/Quote
If this is true, I'm happy. Glad to have him back.

On the other hand, I'm a little pissed. Almost $43m in cap space and we might have re-signed Whit. With $20m in cap space, Pittsburgh tagged Bell, made Brown the highest paid WR, and re-signed James Harrison to a 2 year deal. Whit might be the only 1 we bring back with more than double the cap space. Hopefully Hobson, Mike Brown, and Marvin Lewis will keep preaching how much they want to win bullshit.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 10:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Totally agree.  They should retain Z and get a C that is competent.  Cut Blodine, Hockaloogie, Peko, and Smackman.  There's a savings of like 15 mil or there abouts (just going off memory)?  It's so simple, it's damn near criminal it hasn't been done already.

Yes, Ogbuehi is a flop, as is Russell (albeit a mid/low rounder), and they can't be coached up by our Hall of Fame line coach.

I think they try to upgrade center, but no way they cut Bodine (four year starter) or Ced (first round pick) who's still on their rookie deals. And peko is a FA so they would need to sign him to cut him :-)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I am so happy to hear this. Hopefully they can get Dre done, target a guard in FA or draft (since I am already bracing for them losing Z) and shore up the interior lines.

They do this while cutting some dead weight I will have my hopes high again.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 11:01 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I think they try to upgrade center, but no way they cut Bodine (four year starter) or Ced (first round pick) who's still on their rookie deals. And peko is a FA so they would need to sign him to cut him :-)

I'd still cut Blodine....he wouldn't start elsewhere, but he's Piano Man's pet.  I never mentioned Ced (Hockaloogie is code for Maualuga...lmao), and I just lumped Peko in there, partly due to laziness on my part, and partly due to the fact that I firmly believe they will re-sign him......again. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 11:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd still cut Blodine....he wouldn't start elsewhere, but he's Piano Man's pet.  I never mentioned Ced (Hockaloogie is code for Maualuga...lmao), and I just lumped Peko in there, partly due to laziness on my part, and partly due to the fact that I firmly believe they will re-sign him......again. :andy:

Aww my bad man! I thought it was Ced lol... I also fully expect them to re-sign peko, even though his time has come and gone a few years ago. but Blodine would start somewhere else. have you not heard that he's as strong as an Ox?  :andy:
Reply/Quote
Whit would be good news and yes, need Z as well.

INteresting thoughts on Mangold for me- grew up in Dayton and still has family here. Wonder if he'd come home for a mid range deal... Would love to have him here if he can stay healthy.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
Good news for our team is they re-sign Whit. One of the five greatest Bengals if you ask me.

I think Dre K will get overpaid by someone and I hope it is not us.  Dre is a penalty machine and cannot tackle.

I hope we keep Z and find a new center ( Mangold) or draft whoever is the best center this year.

Our O line will never handle a top tier D line, particularly 3-4 defense, so long as we have Bodine.

I wold get juiced up again about this team if they keep Whit and Z and sign Mangold.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 09:24 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Imagine if this is not true and we have CedO, Boling, Bodine, ???, Fisher....Yikes, I will take Whit signing to start with.....That is a giant mess....  Mangold is a MB signing all over it...Bodine was called out last year and even replaced a couple times in games the last couple of years, so they know there is an issue to a point.    Whit, Boling, Mangold, (draft pick, Hopkins, Westerman, FA), (CedO, Fisher, Winston).  At least you shore up the left side and Center and hopefully someone is coached up or steps up on the right side.

That'd be slightly better, although still a ton of question marks. I think Mangold is fool's gold at this point. RG would depend on who we sign/draft. I'm not confident in a 5th rounder coached by PA. At RT, I guess one of those guys could step up, but I'd prefer a better veteran than Winston.

(03-02-2017, 10:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Totally agree.  They should retain Z and get a C that is competent.  Cut Blodine, Hockaloogie, Peko, and Smackman.  There's a savings of like 15 mil or there abouts (just going off memory)?  It's so simple, it's damn near criminal it hasn't been done already.

The more I think about what the 2017 line will look like, the more depressed I get.

- a top of the line, but aging LT who will be 36 in December.
- Our most stable piece is Clint "Boiling".
- Possibly the worst C in football.
- A giant hole at RG.
- Another possible giant hole at RT/hoping that Ogbuehi or Fisher will develop.

So the left side is ok (for now), while the rest of the line is a gutted mess filled with failed prospects.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 12:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That'd be slightly better, although still a ton of question marks. I think Mangold is fool's gold at this point. RG would depend on who we sign/draft. I'm not confident in a 5th rounder coached by PA. At RT, I guess one of those guys could step up, but I'd prefer a better veteran than Winston.

The more I think about what the 2017 line will look like, the more depressed I get.

- a top of the line, but aging LT who will be 36 in December.
- Our most stable piece is Clint "Boiling".
- Possibly the worst C in football.
- A giant hole at RG.
- Another possible giant hole at RT/hoping that Ogbuehi or Fisher will develop.

So the left side is ok (for now), while the rest of the line is a gutted mess filled with failed prospects.

This is all true but lets hope they sign Z and Mangold.  I personally am OK with letting Dre walk
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 09:53 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Andrew Whitworth - T - Bengals
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Bengals will re-sign free agent LT Andrew Whitworth.
Beat reporter Paul Dehner suggests it's already a done deal. Whitworth is the best tackle available in free agency. Re-signing Whitworth means free agent RG Kevin Zeitler likely won't be back.
Source: Paul Dehner on Twitter Mar 1 - 5:04 PM

Cautiously optimistic here but it looks like we have some good news!  Jim O was on with Mo Eggar today and it sounds like they are trying to sign dre, Brandon and Rex, but it's up to Rex if he wants to be here in in maybe a role less than what he wants.

Thank God, this had to be done to save our team.

We can replace Zeitler with a Free Agent Guard and have a rookie compete with Bodine and this Offense could
really improve. You have to keep your foundation alteast in tact in order to build your team. Bringing back Whit
is a great start.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
Signing Whit and Kirkpatrick will at least be better than I expected.
Reply/Quote