Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like whit is coming back
(03-02-2017, 11:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd still cut Blodine....he wouldn't start elsewhere, but he's Piano Man's pet.  I never mentioned Ced (Hockaloogie is code for Maualuga...lmao), and I just lumped Peko in there, partly due to laziness on my part, and partly due to the fact that I firmly believe they will re-sign him......again. :andy:

Nah, you can't cut a cheap backup.  He would be good if we needed to have someone step in for a game.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 01:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Nah, you can't cut a cheap backup.  He would be good if we needed to have someone step in for a game.

Well, that's a good point.....I'm just so sick of watching him get pushed back into the QBs' and RBs' laps.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 02:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, that's a good point.....I'm just so sick of watching him get pushed back into the QBs' and RBs' laps.

Me too.  As a backup I wouldn't care as much.  AT least he knows the system and would be able to make the calls if the starter got hurt.
Reply/Quote
The problem is the past couple "look ahead" draft picks have not worked out at all. It couldn't have gone any worse for them.

Draft OG to replace Whit- Bust
Draft Fisher to replace Smith- looks to be injury prone and a bust
Draft Billings to replace Peko-injured
Draft WJ3 to replace Jones or Dre- injured
Draft Dawson to replace Maulauga or Vinny-Bust
Draft Westerman to replace Zeitler-Not sure how good he is yet

They were so confident in OG and Fisher that they wanted to keep Whit and move him to LG.

I know all the "BUST" I've listed are young player who may turn out to be just as good as the players they wanted them to replace but none of them are there yet. It can take an Oline man a couple years to develop but you have to remember who is doing the developing. As mad as I get at Mike Brown in his defense he has been looking ahead for replacements for players that are FA's it's just between injuries and flat out bad luck whatever plan they had in place is now shot to shit. Mike just needs to be less stubborn and adjust the best he can to put a winning team together and if that means re-signing some of the better guys that you planed not to, then do it. If it means bringing in FA's for 1 or 2 years while players develop, do it. But there is no reason to bring back mediocre players like Peko, Maulauga and even Johnson or troubled players on their downward slide like Jones. Just forget whatever plan you had, adjust and give the fans what they deserve. It just gets frustrating that sometimes they don't even pretend to try to make this team better.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 11:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd still cut Blodine....he wouldn't start elsewhere, but he's Piano Man's pet.  I never mentioned Ced (Hockaloogie is code for Maualuga...lmao), and I just lumped Peko in there, partly due to laziness on my part, and partly due to the fact that I firmly believe they will re-sign him......again. :andy:

They will re-sign Peko because they don't know what they have in Billings and there's no way you can count on Thompson to be there.  He rarely is.  They'll see Peko as a safety net and we know how much they love safety nets.  And if there's a new rookie DT, we know he won't play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 01:39 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Nah, you can't cut a cheap backup.  He would be good if we needed to have someone step in for a game.

(03-02-2017, 02:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, that's a good point.....I'm just so sick of watching him get pushed back into the QBs' and RBs' laps.

(03-02-2017, 04:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Me too.  As a backup I wouldn't care as much.  AT least he knows the system and would be able to make the calls if the starter got hurt.

I am with Hammerstripes on this one. As bad as Bodine is as a starting Center he might be a decent backup
and good insurance at both Center and Guard. I remember some on the board that knew more about O-line
play than me saying that Bodine would make a better Guard then Center when we drafted him.

I believe it was Berserker/Royal Red Legs.

Plus he knows the system. Just get rid of PA is all i ask. Probably won't happen but i will never stop saying it
until it does. Forever it seems or until the guy dies, awful thing to say but it is sad that this is the way it goes
around here. Someone has to get hurt for the better player to play etc.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:12 PM)McC Wrote: They will re-sign Peko because they don't know what they have in Billings and there's no way you can count on Thompson to be there.  He rarely is.  They'll see Peko as a safety net and we know how much they love safety nets.  And if there's a new rookie DT, we know he won't play.

We also have DeShawn Williams who showed a bit in limited snaps last year and always has when he
has played in the Preseason. We played Boyd as a rookie last year from the first game he started at
Slot. I believe this is a false narrative around here about the team never playing rookies.

We play rookies and sometimes it is a mistake cause they are not ready. Looking at Bodine here.

The problem is the coaching and the FO. If they want to build a team off of rookies they have to
have decent coaches to coach them up quickly. Hence why Urban is a good coach and PA is not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We also have DeShawn Williams who showed a bit in limited snaps last year and always has when he
has played in the Preseason. We played Boyd as a rookie last year from the first game he started at
Slot. I believe this is a false narrative around here about the team never playing rookies.

We play rookies and sometimes it is a mistake cause they are not ready. Looking at Bodine here.

The problem is the coaching and the FO. If they want to build a team off of rookies they have to
have decent coaches to coach them up quickly. Hence why Urban is a good coach and PA is not.

Boyd played because there was no choice.  Bodine played cuz he was PA's hand picked boy.  If there's no veteran for the job, the rookie plays.  Otherwise, not so much.  If Peko is here, he will play a lot.  Bank it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:24 PM)McC Wrote: Boyd played because there was no choice.  Bodine played cuz he was PA's hand picked boy.  If there's no veteran for the job, the rookie plays.  Otherwise, not so much.  If Peko is here, he will play a lot.  Bank it.

Well i cannot disagree with this. Just hope you are wrong about Peko.

But you are probably right.

It would not be hard to replace what Peko brings and he is clearly getting old.

These coaches always wait a year or two too long to see age taking a toll.

But if Billings plays well he should start over Peko but that injury just gave Peko an open invitation back.

I said it last year that once Billings gets some time the coaches will have no choice but to start him over Peko.

The injury derailed that thought to this year. Sucks ass.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 10:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Andy Dalton right now after realizing Ogbuehi won't block his blindside:
[Image: SnoopyDance.gif]

So do we spend more time Developing Ogbuehi now or trade and try again

Nate (formerly eliminate08)

Well i cannot disagree with this. Just hope you are wrong about Peko.

But if Billings plays well he should start over Peko but that injury just gave Peko an open invitation back.

I said it last year that once Billings gets some time the coaches will have no choice but to start him over Peko.

I was hoping if billings was healthy he knocked Peko right off the roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well i cannot disagree with this. Just hope you are wrong about Peko.

All that may be true, but Guenther sounded like he's ready to put Billings in the starting lineup sight unseen during his post season press conference.  Guenther may be the guy to spear head the youth movement.  It sounds like he really wants to get the rookies and 2nd year guys more playing time.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 12:06 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Be careful of fake news. 

You mean like the fake news that soem people have been spreading around here about how we will not re-sign any of our top free agents?

Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 12:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That'd be slightly better, although still a ton of question marks. I think Mangold is fool's gold at this point.

Maybe to the rest of the league he is.

To this team he'd be a precious metal at Center.

I wish they'd sign Whit, Mangold, and bring back Andre Smith.

If they did that.   I'd be okay with letting Z walk and figuring out what to do with RG(draft/FA/or position re-assignment) while shuffling around the RTs.

I mean really...   Mangold on his downside of career has to be worlds above Bodine? 

Ratings aside, by mechanics & knowledge in itself. 

You improve the C position in those two areas and I'd bet that your other ones would fall right in place.

Not great...  but definitely better.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 12:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That'd be slightly better, although still a ton of question marks. I think Mangold is fool's gold at this point. RG would depend on who we sign/draft. I'm not confident in a 5th rounder coached by PA. At RT, I guess one of those guys could step up, but I'd prefer a better veteran than Winston.

The more I think about what the 2017 line will look like, the more depressed I get.

- a top of the line, but aging LT who will be 36 in December.
- Our most stable piece is Clint "Boiling".
- Possibly the worst C in football.
- A giant hole at RG.
- Another possible giant hole at RT/hoping that Ogbuehi or Fisher will develop.

So the left side is ok (for now), while the rest of the line is a gutted mess filled with failed prospects.

I'm there with you on all of this. Mangold has 11 years of wear and tear on his body and only played in 8 games last year. He missed games in 2 clumps too...not just 8 games at once.

The line is going to be an issue. I'm happy if they keep Whitworth...but at his age, the line is looking at basically a total rebuild. Even with Whitworth...they'll need to address the 2 positions you listed.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:57 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Maybe to the rest of the league he is.

If they did that.   I'd be okay with letting Z walk and figuring out what to do with RG(draft/FA/or position re-assignment) while shuffling around the RTs.

I mean really...   Mangold on his downside of career has to be worlds above Bodine? 

You improve the C position in those two areas and I'd bet that your other ones would fall right in place.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Mangold over Bodine any day. Just saying that if you're expecting the All Pro level Mangold of year's past, I think you'll be disappointed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 12:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'd take Mangold over Bodine any day. Just saying that if you're expecting the All Pro level Mangold of year's past, I think you'll be disappointed.

I would be the happiest person in the world to see any version of Mangold at C vs Bodine. If Bodine was a cloud he couldn't block the sun.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 11:01 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I think they try to upgrade center, but no way they cut Bodine (four year starter) or Ced (first round pick) who's still on their rookie deals. And peko is a FA so they would need to sign him to cut him :-)

Elflein could still be there at the top of the second. They could plug him in at guard which is were he played all but his senior year then move him to center once Bodine's contract is up
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 10:10 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Elflein could still be there at the top of the second. They could plug him in at guard which is were he played all but his senior year then move him to center once Bodine's contract is up

I would say that he'll be re-signed honestly. They seem to really like him, or they would of upgraded that position or at least give him some competition. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: All that may be true, but Guenther sounded like he's ready to put Billings in the starting lineup sight unseen during his post season press conference.  Guenther may be the guy to spear head the youth movement.  It sounds like he really wants to get the rookies and 2nd year guys more playing time.

Man, i love this. It was awesome how Paulie G turned that Defense around last year by changing things up.

I believe you are correct, really like Geunther honestly, he adjusts.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 07:57 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Maybe to the rest of the league he is.

I agree, RG would be our biggest weakness as it would be a new guy there but we would have some competition
there with Fisher, Westerman, Hopkins and Bodine. Whitworth - Boling - Mangold - Fisher? - Andre Smith doesn't
sound terrible to me and should be an upgrade over last year.
Reply/Quote