Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss that hurt the most in Bengal history
Is there any dispute that the loss that hurt the worst was the 2016 playoff loss to Steelers?

I remember the game my favorite Bengals coach Sam Wyche tried to run out the clock against San Francisco, failed and Montana then hit Rice in the end zone with a 30 yard pass or so on the last play. That was bad.

Also the Leon Hall pushing the ball up in the air to the Denver receiver ( Decker?) a few years ago.

Neither of these games were playoff games or against the Steelers.

The two Super Bowl losses were killers but we did not make an incredible comeback and then give the game away like we did against the Steelers.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nothing will ever hurt as bad as losing the Super Bowl in the last minutes to San Francisco.....twice.
Reply/Quote
The 89 Super Bowl still haunts my dreams.  And Rice didn't catch the final TD, it was that rat bastard John Taylor.  We had that game won, even after losing Krumrie in the 2nd or 3rd quarter? That was for the FREAKING SUPER BOWL!  How does that not rank #1 on this sick messed up list?  Losing to the Stoolers, even losing the way we lost, can only be #2 because that was just in the Divisional round of playoffs.  And when teams like us who are full of malcontents and miscreants like Adam Jones.....Burfict, etc.....honestly, how can you even be surprised that we lost like that?  Yes it hurts, but in 89......that was for all the marbles. Its why guys play the game, your chance to play for the Super Bowl.  That was the last professional football game a certain 11 year old kid cried at when it was over. 

**** Joe Montana
**** Bill Walsh
**** the 49ers organization
and **** John Taylor 

if I ever meet John Taylor in a dark alley someplace......bad things will happen....bad things.

The 49ers will always be the biggest villain to the Bengals, not the steAlers.  Yes, I hate the steAlers......but I absolutely loathe the 49ers with every fiber in my being.   
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
1st Super Bowl loss.  4 shots from the 1, couldn't get it in.

Had they won that game, a lot of history since would be much different.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 01:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 1st Super Bowl loss.  4 shots from the 1, couldn't get it in.

This.  We had the better team.  I don't know how we could not get it in in four tries.
Reply/Quote
For me it would be the 2016 Steelers loss, hands down. I've been a fan since '93 and I've never seen a playoff win. So to go from jumping up and down in my living room, SURE that the game was clinched, to watching the Bengals choke and completely lose composure was inconceivable. It was the ultimate "Bungle", and summed up Marvin and Mike Brown's tenures perfectly. I mean, what team does that? Gets a game clinching INT, only to immediately fumble the ball on the next drive and follow that with 2 of the dumbest penalties in the history of pro sports?

For the team's entire history, I'd have to say that the '88 team losing the Super Bowl was the biggest loss. That was probably the best Bengals team of all-time, and to lose (especially in that fashion) really hurt the team. They never really recovered, then we lost Wyche and Boomer. Which ushered in the "dark ages".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't want to remember what happened..

Sad
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Since I am only 25 years old, the 16 playoff loss to the steelers was the worst. but it was more on the refs. yes, Pittsburgh did some dirty things, but it could of been controlled by the officials.

The 2005 playoff loss was the most bitter I have ever felt. If I was my age when the kimo von play happened, I would of punched every steeler fan I would of seen. The play until this day makes me sick that that organization can get away with things like that and it just be brushed off.
Reply/Quote
Obviously, the SB games. Ts, watching Palmer & Henry both go down on the same play after gaining a huge chunk of yards on the play in the 05 playoff game, was miserable.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 01:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: For me it would be the 2016 Steelers loss, hands down. I've been a fan since '93 and I've never seen a playoff win. So to go from jumping up and down in my living room, SURE that the game was clinched, to watching the Bengals choke and completely lose composure was inconceivable. It was the ultimate "Bungle", and summed up Marvin and Mike Brown's tenures perfectly. I mean, what team does that? Gets a game clinching INT, only to immediately fumble the ball on the next drive and follow that with 2 of the dumbest penalties in the history of pro sports?

For the team's entire history, I'd have to say that the '88 team losing the Super Bowl was the biggest loss. That was probably the best Bengals team of all-time, and to lose (especially in that fashion) really hurt the team. They never really recovered, then we lost Wyche and Boomer. Which ushered in the "dark ages".

I didn't jump up and down.  My feet were nailed to the floor by the feeling in the pit of my stomach.  And one question kept running through my head--How they gonna **** this up.  Seemed like it was almost too far gone to **** up.  And look how creative they got in doing so.  I was never gonna celebrate until it was all zeroes.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I was at the first super bowl. Sucked. Losing a super bowl in the last minute. Even worse. The 2005 playoff loss losing Carson to a cheap shot was a worse loss than last years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 01:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I was at the first super bowl.  Sucked.  Losing a super bowl in the last minute.  Even worse.  The 2005 playoff loss losing Carson to a cheap shot was a worse loss than last years.

That was a real gut punch, for sure.  Kinda suxx there are so many to choose from.

The Steelers feared CP and they always go after what they fear.  I don't think we'd have gone to the SB because we couldn't beat Peyton Manning but we were gonna beat the Steelers without a doubt.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 01:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: The 2005 playoff loss losing Carson to a cheap shot was a worse loss than last years.

See, I thought about that, but to me the 2016 game was easily worse because...

1. We almost won in 2016, while in 2005 we lost Carson on the first pass on the game, so the loss wasn't exactly a big surprise at the end.

2. In 2005 we were still in a euphoric state just for making the playoffs for the first time in 14 years, which was also our last playoff win. Now we're at 26 years without a playoff win. The pressure to get that monkey off their (our) backs only grows each year, and to lose in that fashion - considering the streak - was straight up cruel.

3. The 2016 loss was a complete embarrassment that had the national media mocking the Bengals. The 2005 loss was just sad and made people feel sympathy for us.

Both were heart breakers, no doubt...but I had more optimism for the future of the 2005 team than I did for the 2016 team. It was just a better feeling back then. Not sure how to describe it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
1.1st SB
2. 2nd SB We had both games in the bag. Damn SF
3. 05 Playoff Game Palmer went down. I think that was our year to win it all.
4. 2015 Playoff complete meltdown against Pitt.
5. The rest of the playoff losses
6. Regular season game against SD (I think) they put up something like 40 points in the 2nd half to come back to win.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 02:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: See, I thought about that, but to me the 2016 game was easily worse because...

1. We almost won in 2016, while in 2005 we lost Carson on the first pass on the game, so the loss wasn't exactly a big surprise at the end.

2. In 2005 we were still in a euphoric state just for making the playoffs for the first time in 14 years, which was also our last playoff win. Now we're at 26 years without a playoff win. The pressure to get that monkey off their (our) backs only grows each year, and to lose in that fashion - considering the streak - was straight up cruel.

3. The 2016 loss was a complete embarrassment that had the national media mocking the Bengals. The 2005 loss was just sad and made people feel sympathy for us.

Both were heart breakers, no doubt...but I had more optimism for the future of the 2005 team than I did for the 2016 team. It was just a better feeling back then. Not sure how to describe it.

I just think we had a shot at a super bowl in 05. Not sure we were winning the next game last year.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 01:00 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The 89 Super Bowl still haunts my dreams.  And Rice didn't catch the final TD, it was that rat bastard John Taylor.  We had that game won, even after losing Krumrie in the 2nd or 3rd quarter? That was for the FREAKING SUPER BOWL!  How does that not rank #1 on this sick messed up list?  Losing to the Stoolers, even losing the way we lost, can only be #2 because that was just in the Divisional round of playoffs.  And when teams like us who are full of malcontents and miscreants like Adam Jones.....Burfict, etc.....honestly, how can you even be surprised that we lost like that?  Yes it hurts, but in 89......that was for all the marbles. Its why guys play the game, your chance to play for the Super Bowl.  That was the last professional football game a certain 11 year old kid cried at when it was over. 

**** Joe Montana
**** Bill Walsh
**** the 49ers organization
and **** John Taylor 

if I ever meet John Taylor in a dark alley someplace......bad things will happen....bad things.

The 49ers will always be the biggest villain to the Bengals, not the steAlers.  Yes, I hate the steAlers......but I absolutely loathe the 49ers with every fiber in my being.   
cannot dispute any of this Cry
Reply/Quote
You can't really argue against the 2 Super Bowl losses.

The loss that affected the team the most was the 2005 loss. Not only did we lose that game, we lost our franchise QB and he would never be the same afterwards. Palmer was on his way to being a perennial top 3 QB (Behind only Brady and Manning) and he was never the same after the injury.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 01:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 1st Super Bowl loss.  4 shots from the 1, couldn't get it in.

This......

Although the 2015 Pittsburgh playoff loss ranks right up there but maybe because that's the latest. I was in full meltdown mode according to my wife.

I do have much more respect for the 49'ers than I ever will for Pittsburgh
Reply/Quote

You ain't kidding. They totally outplayed the 49ers in that second half. They were down 20-0 and had chances to win. The 49ers fumble the opening kickoff and the Bengals recover it in Niner territory only to turn it back over to them.

Adding insult to injury, remember the Dan Bunz tackle on Charles Alexander at the one yard line on the 3rd down of that goal line stand? I was best friends with Bunz's nephew and of course, had to see him the next day in school. Didn't talk to him for a few days. If only Alexander reached his arm out!!!
Reply/Quote
The final 3 games of 2006 were agonizing. We needed one... Just one freaking win to make the playoffs but completely Bungled that season away. I still say 2006 was the worst season I ever endured as a Bengal fan (that I can clearly remember, anyway. I was a kid through the 90's).

Last years playoff Bungle against Pittsburgh was pathetic. Easily the most embarrassed I've ever been as a Bengal fan (the Week 1, 2009 Denver Bungle is a close second). But it didn't hurt the most. In a way, I was actually glad they lost. They didn't deserve to win with the amount of stupidity those guys showed at the most critical moments in 25 years. I was infuriated, but not miserable. 

The 2006 playoff game when Carson got Kimo'd hurt so much worse. I remember the sideline reporter (Suzy Kolber) gave a general diagnosis that Carson's knee was mangled, and a quick Google search I did at halftime showed it was a potential career ender. I couldn't watch much of the second half. I felt physically ill. I got in the shower at some point and just leaned against the wall, and began crying. Not sobbing but there were definite tears that night, the first and so far only time the Bengals reduced me to tears. I thought Carson was done. I thought our potential dynasty was over... Turns out, I was kind of right. Carson was never the same after that. I'm not sure if it was the knee injury or Bengalitis, but he never became the equal to Peyton Manning/Tom Brady like I always thought he would... Makes me sick even thinking about it now.

2005 will likely never be topped for me. That was the most fun I ever had during a Bengal season. I finally got to wear my jerseys, hats and hoodies with pride. I received praise and congratulations from teachers and friends at school. People (mostly girls) were jumping aboard the Bengal Bandwagon. I was finally able to talk some smack on Sunday's... Life as a Bengal fan was so good then. The present was great and the future looked even better... And it all came crashing down in one, agonizing play....

I'm going to get drunk  Cry   
Reply/Quote