Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lou is staying!!!! Cardinals choose Gannon
(02-14-2023, 04:46 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I feel bad for Lou. With only 2-4 openings/year, and a pool of candidates, it’s hard to finally get a HC job. Everyone says he’s better off here than in a bad situation- I disagree. Strike while the iron is hot. He’s been a coach Joe long, and he just now got an interview? He’s coming off 2 great years. His window for HC could be closing. All it takes is to have a bad year defensively (we are gonna lose a bunch of D players) and he could be long forgotten.

Lou has a lot working against him, though.

1. His age. He turns 57 in August and a lot of teams prefer going with younger candidates who can be around for a long time.

2. While he does have a long resume, it's not a very good resume outside of the last 2 seasons. He was usually a position coach, and his secondaries performed poorly. 

He was pretty bad as an interim DC in Miami. He was bad his first 2 years in Cincy, although we now attribute that to him not having players.

3. Fan perception. When your average fan thinks of the Bengals, they think of Joe Burrow and the offense. Selling the fans on the Bengals' 57 year old defensive coordinator might not be the most thrilling idea.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 05:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is rumored Gannon can get EB to leave KC.

Better that than Pritchar
Reply/Quote
I remember the hype when Zimmer and Gruden ended up not getting selected.
However, they ended up departing just a year or two after that.
So eventually Lou (and probably Callahan) will depart for a HC job and they'll need to figure out successor(s).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 04:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ll buy Lou Anarumo dinner at Mamma Di Salvo in Kettering any time he wants!

That's my Valentine's Day place!! Great Italian food.
Reply/Quote
Best offseason news yet!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 04:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Just makes the eventual exodus worse. 

I was excited, sir. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 05:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lou has a lot working against him, though.

1. His age. He turns 57 in August and a lot of teams prefer going with younger candidates who can be around for a long time.

2. While he does have a long resume, it's not a very good resume outside of the last 2 seasons. He was usually a position coach, and his secondaries performed poorly. 

He was pretty bad as an interim DC in Miami. He was bad his first 2 years in Cincy, although we now attribute that to him not having players.

3. Fan perception. When your average fan thinks of the Bengals, they think of Joe Burrow and the offense. Selling the fans on the Bengals' 57 year old defensive coordinator might not be the most thrilling idea.

Everyone keeps acting like 57 is ancient. It's not that old. 
Reply/Quote
Sorry Lou, you deserved it but that is the way of today's NFL they do not want to reward the older guys that put in work they hire the new shiny toys. I cannot say I am sad at the outcome though.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 06:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everyone keeps acting like 57 is ancient. It's not that old. 

It’s literally just a media narrative that some people here have ran with

If a man is qualified at age 60, he’ll get a head coaching gig
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 06:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everyone keeps acting like 57 is ancient. It's not that old. 

I turned 30 recently and panicked a little when I figured out that 38 is middle aged, statistically speaking. In reality, I agree that 57 isn't that old and Lou seems like he takes care of himself. Just feels like the league has shifted to the new "meta" of young head coaches. Not sure how big of a deal it actually is. 
Reply/Quote

It's not that old overall, but it is fairly old for a first time head coach.

Since 2001, there have only been 10 first time head coaches over the age of 55.
  • Vic Fangio (61)
  • Bruce Arians (61)
  • Mike Zimmer (58)
  • Romeo Crennel (58)
  • Rod Marinelli (57)
  • Steve Spurrier (57)
  • Marc Trestman (57)
  • Dirk Koetter (57)
  • Frank Reich (56)
  • Jim Zorn (55)
https://in-thinair.com/2019/01/21/age-of-first-time-head-coaches/

Not a whole lot of head coaching success on that list either, to be honest.

A lot of the most recent coaching hires have been men in their late 30s, early 40s
  • Robert Saleh, New York Jets
    43 | Jan. 31, 1979
  • Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
    43 | Nov. 3, 1979
  • Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
    42 | Dec. 14, 1979
  • Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
    41 | June 15, 1981
  • Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
    40 | May 8, 1982
  • Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
    40 | May 27, 1982
  • Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers
    39 | Dec. 10, 1982
  • Johnathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals
    40 | January 4, 1983
  • Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
    39 | May 10, 1983
  • Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
    39 | March 6, 1983
  • DeMeco Ryan, Houston Texans
    38 | July 28, 1984
  • Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
    37 | May 11, 1985
  • Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
    37 | May 25, 1985
  • Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
    36 | Jan. 24, 1986
    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-head-coaches-by-age/
It's just the way the league is trending.
Reply/Quote

(02-14-2023, 06:18 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It’s literally just a media narrative that some people here have ran with

If a man is qualified at age 60, he’ll get a head coaching gig

IF Lou gets a HC gig next year he'll be 58 when the season starts. Only 3 coaches since 2001 have been as old or older than that when hired as a first-time HC.

If he doesn't get one until the following year, then there's only been 1.

He's definately old when talking about 1st time HC and it's more than just a media narrative some here have ran with. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 06:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's not that old overall, but it is fairly old for a first time head coach.

Since 2001, there have only been 10 first time head coaches over the age of 55.
  • Vic Fangio (61)
  • Bruce Arians (61)
  • Mike Zimmer (58)
  • Romeo Crennel (58)
  • Rod Marinelli (57)
  • Steve Spurrier (57)
  • Marc Trestman (57)
  • Dirk Koetter (57)
  • Frank Reich (56)
  • Jim Zorn (55)
https://in-thinair.com/2019/01/21/age-of-first-time-head-coaches/

Not a whole lot of head coaching success on that list either, to be honest.

A lot of the most recent coaching hires have been men in their late 30s, early 40s
  • Robert Saleh, New York Jets
    43 | Jan. 31, 1979
  • Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
    43 | Nov. 3, 1979
  • Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
    42 | Dec. 14, 1979
  • Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
    41 | June 15, 1981
  • Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
    40 | May 8, 1982
  • Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
    40 | May 27, 1982
  • Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers
    39 | Dec. 10, 1982
  • Johnathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals
    40 | January 4, 1983
  • Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
    39 | May 10, 1983
  • Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
    39 | March 6, 1983
  • DeMeco Ryan, Houston Texans
    38 | July 28, 1984
  • Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
    37 | May 11, 1985
  • Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
    37 | May 25, 1985
  • Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
    36 | Jan. 24, 1986
    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-head-coaches-by-age/
It's just the way the league is trending.

media narrative

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 05:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lou has a lot working against him, though.

Good post. It’s amazing that the interim staff at Miami had Zac as OC, Dan Campbell as HC, and Lou as DC. I’d expect Lou made more demands than Gannon. I know Callahan did. Callahan and Kliff go way back. He interviewed and signs point to he wasn’t interested. I’d expect even Lou knew the intricacies and dynamics as well. But they want to know your staff. It will be interesting to see Gannon’s. In the end Arizona went young with Kliff they likely were leaning young.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
How crappy of an interviewee must Eric Beienmy be?

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 06:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How crappy of an interviewee must Eric Beienmy be?

I would imagine ( don’t know) he just doesn’t come across as very intelligent. If you look at Mike McDaniel he wreaks of intelligence. McVay? Brandon Staley? Kevin McConnell? Sirianni? These young new coaches seem pretty intelligent.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 06:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How crappy of an interviewee must Eric Beienmy be?

Rape allegations + everyone knows Reid controls the offense
Reply/Quote

That's good to hear. I'll find out in about 5 weeks. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 07:02 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I would imagine ( don’t know) he just doesn’t come across as very intelligent. If you look at Mike McDaniel he wreaks of intelligence. McVay? Brandon Staley? Kevin McConnell? Sirianni? These young new coaches seem pretty intelligent.

What makes these other coaches seem intelligent to you but not Bienemy? 
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote