Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
MJ Cut, Barkley IRed
Another smart move by the FO, which I had my doubts that they'd do it, but Michael Johnson was cut, which is hopefully to make salary cap space to bring in one or two guys to improve the right side of our line.

Quote:As they cut down to the 53-man roster limit, the Bengals also placed quarterback Matt Barkley on injured reserve with a knee injury he suffered in the preseason finale against the Indianapolis Colts.

Johnson, 31, has been a mainstay on the Bengals' defense since he was taken in the third round of the 2009 draft. Johnson left the Bengals for one season to sign a five-year, $43.75 million contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2014. However, injuries limited him and he was released after just one year.

Johnson re-signed with the Bengals in 2015 and resumed his starting role in their 4-3 base defense, although his responsibilities started to shift last year when the team decided to move him inside to defensive tackle on third downs. The emergence of young players like Sam Hubbard, Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson made Johnson expendable this season.

The Bengals made the unusual move of keeping only eight defensive linemen, which means the team will likely make some roster moves over the next few days. The means the possibility of a reunion with Johnson or another player released on Saturday isn't out of the question.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully other teams start making cuts and we can use MJ's money to bring in a tackle and a guard to shore-up the right side of the line.
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised but it's the right move I'm afraid.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am curious to see if Lawson is the starter or if they put Hubbard/Willis out for the early downs and keep Lawson on passing downs. I’d like to see Lawson around 55% of snaps, at least.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 06:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I am curious to see if Lawson is the starter or if they put Hubbard/Willis out for the early downs and keep Lawson on passing downs. I’d like to see Lawson around 55% of snaps, at least.

I believe Marvin said he’s going to use him exactly as he did last season.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 07:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I believe Marvin said he’s going to use him exactly as he did last season.

And that’s the way it should be. Keep Lawson fresh on 3rd down rushing the qb, no need to wear him down as an undersized 3 down DE. Assuming Willis will start at DE and Hubbard will get mixed in as part of the rotation. It’s possible Hubbard could get worked in as DT on passing downs next to Geno.
Reply/Quote
And the positive move train keeps rolling down the tracks. 

Good move by the Bengals and good luck to MJ latching on somewhere. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
With Brad here and hope it is for OL help.

Had to log out and back in and retype this per the freakin add being placed right where it says post hijacking me and not letting me go back. Hard to not hit using phone and was being careful.

Did not mind adds staying on after donating money but placing them where those who do not want to click them get hijacked is bull.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 07:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I believe Marvin said he’s going to use him exactly as he did last season.

I am okay with that. The Bengals have incredible depth on the defensive line, so having him fresh in the 4th quarter will be great.
Reply/Quote
I told you. MJ is DONE.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Great move by the team, I'm really liking all the decisions the team have made this off season
Reply/Quote
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. why they let Brian Hill go? noooooooooooooooooooo. Sad

As a side note, the Raiders traded a 3rd Rounder for McCarron! :O
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 11:39 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. why they let Brian Hill go? noooooooooooooooooooo. Sad

As a side note, the Raiders traded a 3rd Rounder for McCarron! :O

5th rounder

Reply/Quote
MJ is back. He was cut so they could set their roster, put people on IR, and then bring him back.

Kind of a shame. Not sure I see a need/purpose for him. Relatively okay with it so long as he is exclusively a backup.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Signed with the same deal he had on Friday

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I can't find any details, but, if it's cheap, it might be a smart move.

I just saw this on ESPN:

Quote:Johnson will likely start in the Bengals' 4-3 base defense despite the emergence of young players such as Jordan Willis, Sam Hubbard and Carl Lawson.

That has to be a mistake, right?

No way in hell he starts over young guys like Hubbard, Dunlap, Willis, and Lawson.

I was hoping to just to give him the occasional rep at defensive end and then kick him inside on pass downs where he can also get his hands up and cause difficulties for quarterbacks trying to throw over him.

Smart move, depending on how cheaply they got him, and we need the depth at end.

Still need a RT and RG!
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 06:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I can't find any details, but, if it's cheap, it might be a smart move.

I just saw this on ESPN:

That has to be a mistake, right?

No way in hell he starts over young guys like Hubbard, Dunlap, Willis, and Lawson.

I was hoping to just to give him the occasional rep at defensive end and then kick him inside on pass downs where he can also get his hands up and cause difficulties for quarterbacks trying to throw over him.

Smart move, depending on how cheaply they got him, and we need the depth at end.

Still need a RT and RG!

no pay cut....he re-signed the same contract he had before he was cut

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
That is so dumb
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Not a smart move until/if his role is diminished and he's used occasionally in the middle where he seems to have his best production.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Looks like the young dline will have to wait another year. MJ back with same starting pay and set to start against Indy.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote