Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML: Tate was on the practice squad for a reason
(11-20-2018, 04:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: I get what he's saying too......then he goes out and plays Hardy Nickerson (another guy who was on the practice squad for a reason), every damn week.  

Hey Marvin, your dumbass is showing.

Hardy Nickerson has not ben on the practice squad this year.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 12:51 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Link
Nice, ringing endorsement from your HC. But to counter his point, so was the following players:

James Harrison
Kurt Warner
Arian Foster
Rod Smith
Tony Richardson
Jason Peters
Cameron Wake
Alex Boone
Danny Amendola
Danny Woodhead
Brandon Marshall
Adam Theilen

I get what he's saying, but he did have a reception on his lone target. I don't get why he has throw shade at him like this.

would have to know the context of the question he was answering...

but Tate wasn't one of the top 4 WRs or best STer after that.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 03:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Conversely Anquan Boldin ran a 4.71 and is 9th all-time in receptions, 14th all-time in receiving yards, and 24th all-time in receiving touchdowns. Also Tony Gonzalez his last 2-3 years was probably the slowest person I have ever seen running routes on a football field, and yet he was churning out 850-900 yard seasons like he could do it until he was 60.

Top 10 40-times at Combine (from what I could find):
1. John Ross
2. Chris Johnson
3. Dri Archer
4. Marquise Goodwin
5. Jacoby Ford
6. JJ Nelson
7. Demarcus Van Dyke
8. Yamon Figurs
9. Darrius Heyward-Bey
10. Tye Hill

That's a pretty sad list for the top 10.

Where was it that Anquan Bouldin starred as a sure handed WR in college?  Seems like it was somewhere familiar to this exact situation.... Hmm 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 04:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hardy Nickerson has not ben on the practice squad this year.

For what I have seen out of him he should be walking the streets.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes coaches and fans never will really know how good (or bad) a player can be until they actually play in games. A guy can look great in practice but just choke in games. Other guys can be the opposite. Others are just good in practice and in games.

One of my knocks on the Bengals over the years is that they do little in shaking things up with player personnel on gamedays unless an injury occurs, or really really bad play over a long period of time.

When it comes to Tate who had a catch early on, then basically never saw the field again, I really dont get it when AJ, Eifert, Kroft, and Malone are out. Then to give Core 62% of snaps and Erickson only 16% is just baffling. Then again they use Erickson on fly patterns down the sideline which make no sense, instead of using him to his strength which is getting underneath coverage as a possession receiver which works with Andy's strength. This coaching staff is mediocre at best in trying to use the players to their strengths.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 04:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hardy Nickerson has not ben on the practice squad this year.

Correct.

He was an UDFA in 2017. He was then waived twice and signed to the practice squad twice.

Not really sure what the year has to do with anything, as it still counters what Marvin said.....twice.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Sometimes coaches and fans never will really know how good (or bad) a player can be until they actually play in games. A guy can look great in practice but just choke in games. Other guys can be the opposite. Others are just good in practice and in games.

Yet there is not a single team in the NFL that benches their starters just to see what practice squad players can do.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 12:51 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Link
Nice, ringing endorsement from your HC. But to counter his point, so was the following players:

James Harrison
Kurt Warner
Arian Foster
Rod Smith
Tony Richardson
Jason Peters
Cameron Wake
Alex Boone
Danny Amendola
Danny Woodhead
Brandon Marshall
Adam Theilen

I get what he's saying, but he did have a reception on his lone target. I don't get why he has throw shade at him like this.

Marvin has been a head coach for 16 years.

List all of the great players that he refused to promote from the practice squad.

I'll wait.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:06 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Correct.

He was an UDFA in 2017. He was then waived twice and signed to the practice squad twice.

Not really sure what the year has to do with anything, as it still counters what Marvin said.....twice.

Marvin never said he never promotes players from the practice squad.  So nothing about this "counters" what Marvin said.

Who is the best player Marvin has refused to promote from practice squad in his 16 years as head coach?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet there is not a single team in the NFL that benches their starters just to see what practice squad players can do.

No one said put him in for AJ. From what we saw in the preseason he could be an asset to the team , especially in the red zone. I guess you never watched preseason games or believe the rest of us just pulled his name off the roster so we could ***** about your hero Marvin?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yet there is not a single team in the NFL that benches their starters just to see what practice squad players can do.

Which wasn't my point at all.

Besides, Tate wasn't on the practice squad on Sunday. He was dressed and had a catch on first drive. Then saw the bench rest of game because the coaches in their infinite wisdom put Core out their instead who has actually shown nothing in his previous games, and he cost them with a drop at the end.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:13 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: No one said put him in for AJ. From what we saw in the preseason he could be an asset to the team , especially in the red zone. I guess you never watched preseason games or believe the rest of us just pulled his name off the roster so we could ***** about your hero Marvin?

Yes I am well aware of what he did in preseason.  3 catches for 66 yards.  You know what Cody Core did in his rookie preseason? 8 receptions for 135 yards including a 53 yarder.

I also remember when everyone here claim Cedric Peerman should be our starting RB because he had an 80 run in preseason.

So what is your point?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:20 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Which wasn't my point at all.

Besides, Tate wasn't on the practice squad on Sunday. He was dressed and had a catch on first drive. Then saw the bench rest of game because the coaches in their infinite wisdom put Core out their instead who has actually shown nothing in his previous games, and he cost them with a drop at the end.

Cody Core has 22 career REGULAR SEASON receptions for 247 yards including a 50 yarder.  10 of his 22 receptions have been for first downs.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What does he care.  You think Tate does not know he was on the practice squad?

Marvin says good things about players... "GOT TO FIRE MARVIN.  HE NEVER HOLDS PLAYERS RESPONSIBLE!!!"

Marvin says bad things about players... "GOT TO FIRE MARVIN.  HE IS TOO MEAN TO PLAYERS!!!"

I don’t think he should be fired (not for this), just don’t think it’s a valid management tactic to highlight that he was on the practice squad for a reason, keep it behind closed doors.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Sometimes coaches and fans never will really know how good (or bad) a player can be until they actually play in games. A guy can look great in practice but just choke in games. Other guys can be the opposite. Others are just good in practice and in games.

Josh Reynolds was riding the pine for the Rams....as I'm sure Kooper Cupp looked better in practice.  All he did was come in and get 6 catches for 80 yards and a TD on MNF against the number 1 team in the AFC.  Granted, he was a 4th rounder, but he still comes in and comes close to matching the numbers of the guy he replaced.  Now, either you take chances on a guy there....(you had to), or the coaching is just light years better.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cody Core has 22 career REGULAR SEASON receptions for 247 yards including a 50 yarder.  10 of his 22 receptions have been for first downs.

Ooh 22 career catches in 2 and half seasons, none in 2017, and now with a recent game ending drop.

He should definitely see more playing time.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cody Core has 22 career REGULAR SEASON receptions for 247 yards including a 50 yarder.  10 of his 22 receptions have been for first downs.

and when the Bengals needed a 4th down conversion Sunday he dropped it.
nobody remembers Cody Cores 10 1st down receptions. 
heck has he even been targeted in the red zone?.....
Core is a poor mans Ron Dugans.
WHATS HE DOING NOW TO HELP THE BENGALS.....THE SAME AS US FRED 
NOT A DAMN THING.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:27 PM)LondonWhoDey Wrote: I don’t think he should be fired (not for this), just don’t think it’s a valid management tactic to highlight that he was on the practice squad for a reason, keep it behind closed doors.

Agreed.  I would wager that Tate has issues with awareness at this stage in his career, i.e. being short of the sticks on 3rd down.  That said, when you ABSOLUTELY must have a catch in the situation we were in, why would you have Cody Core out there?   It's not so much an endorsement of Tate as much as it is an indictment of Core.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:31 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ooh 22 career catches in 2 and half seasons, none in 2017, and now with a recent game ending drop.

He should definitely see more playing time.

Don't forget the critical drop against Pitt......

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I am well aware of what he did in preseason.  3 catches for 66 yards.  You know what Cody Core did in his rookie preseason? 8 receptions for 135 yards including a 53 yarder.

I also remember when everyone here claim Cedric Peerman should be our starting RB because he had an 80 run in preseason.

So what is your point?
My point is Core has been active all year and has five receptions. ZERO in 2017. What's your point about Tate ? He was thrown to once and made that catch and gets no more chances, your hall of infamy coach is pathetic.
Reply/Quote