Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML: Tate was on the practice squad for a reason
(11-20-2018, 05:27 PM)LondonWhoDey Wrote:  just don’t think it’s a valid management tactic to highlight that he was on the practice squad for a reason, keep it behind closed doors.

Why?

You don't think anyone already knows Tate was on the practice squad?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:31 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ooh 22 career catches in 2 and half seasons, none in 2017, and now with a recent game ending drop.

He should definitely see more playing time.

Compare those numbers to what Tate has done.

Who deserves more playing time?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:34 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: My point is Core has been active all year and has five receptions. ZERO in 2017. What's your point about Tate ?

My point is simple. Tate has done nothing to show that he is better than Core.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:33 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Agreed.  I would wager that Tate has issues with awareness at this stage in his career, i.e. being short of the sticks on 3rd down.  That said, when you ABSOLUTELY must have a catch in the situation we were in, why would you have Cody Core out there?   It's not so much an endorsement of Tate as much as it is an indictment of Core.

No it was an odd choice, proved costly.

Entire passing game showed just shows how much they miss Eifert out there.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:34 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: your hall of infamy coach is pathetic.

16 years as an NFL head coach.  Who is the best practice squad player he has refused to play?

Matt Toeaina?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:40 PM)LondonWhoDey Wrote: No it was an odd choice, proved costly.

Entire passing game showed just shows how much they miss Eifert out there.

Losing Eifert, then Kroft, were huge hurdles for this team and what they had in mind to do on offense this season.  No doubt.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My point is simple. Tate has done nothing to show that he is better than Core.

By percentage of receptions Tate is better. I know that Tate can go up and make contested catches, Core can't.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why?

You don't think anyone already knows Tate was on the practice squad?

Course they do and Tate is a big boy who will get over it. But it doesn’t need to be said, even if it knocks his confidence 1% what’s the point?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Compare those numbers to what Tate has done.

Who deserves more playing time?

Right now, if AJ is out again, Tate does. Those numbers are meaningless anyways because Core only has 5 catches this year (0 last year) and a game ending drop, which far far far outweighs Tate not getting deep enough on his only target and catch on that first drive. Plus a drop in the Pitt game (thanks Wyche).
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 04:55 PM)3wt Wrote: But to be fair, Cody has made a number of good catches in the last couple of weeks and Tate has had his share of drops.  And Cody is more likely to get separation.   The catches Tate has not made were all highly contested catches.

Having said that there is no way Cody should have dropped that ball.  This is the NFL not Pop Warner

Auden Tate has had two targets this year, he caught one and didn't the other "Share of drops" is a stretch. Core has directly resulted in a turnover in Carolina on a ball that he popped into the air that was at Numbers/Face height, then the flat drop this weekend. He also doesn't get enough spacing on go routes down the sideline which is why his deep shots tend to be out of bounds. He gets ran off the "redline" too easily letting backs squeeze him against the sideline.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My point is simple. Tate has done nothing to show that he is better than Core.

He equally has done nothing to show he is worse than Core, and hasn't had the opportunities to do so. That's the difference.

Give him the opportunities, and see what happens and go from there. Nothing wrong with that when talking about the 4th and 5th receivers on the current depth chart while AJ and Malone are out.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Auden Tate has had two targets this year, he caught one and didn't the other "Share of drops" is a stretch. Core has directly resulted in a turnover in Carolina on a ball that he popped into the air that was at Numbers/Face height, then the flat drop this weekend. He also doesn't get enough spacing on go routes down the sideline which is why his deep shots tend to be out of bounds. He gets ran off the "redline" too easily letting backs squeeze him against the sideline.

I think that was Malone.....but your points still stand.

(11-20-2018, 05:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: He equally has done nothing to show he is worse than Core, and hasn't had the opportunities to do so. That's the difference.

Give him the opportunities, and see what happens and go from there. Nothing wrong with that when talking about the 4th and 5th receivers on the current depth chart while AJ and Malone are out.

Right.  If the staff hasn't seen enough of Core in games at this point to try something different, I don't know that they ever will.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 06:01 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I think that was Malone.....but your points still stand.

Right.  If the staff hasn't seen enough of Core in games at this point to try something different, I don't know that they ever will.

You’re right that was Malone. It was a drop for Core that killed a drive.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 06:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: You’re right that was Malone. It was a drop for Core that killed a drive.

Yes, a critical drive against Pitt.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 04:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bernard, Mixon, and Ross had 6 combined targets.  All are shorter than Dalton.

Gotcha. And I wasn't meaning my previous statement of height literally. It was meant as a joke because we've heard people comment about Dalton not being able to see over his linemen. That's why I put the Ninja

I do know that Mixon and Bernard caught all of their targets in the Baltimore game, but I don't know if Ross caught any of those middle-of-the-field targets.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 06:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think that was Malone.....but your points still stand.

You're right.   AU 165 is right, Tate has only been targeted twice.  Core has a career of catching 50% of his targets and no touchdowns.

I don't know what they're seeing in practice, but I want to see what Tate does in games.   Give him the targets.

I don't think Marvin likes Tate.  And I won't lie, I think Marvin has the habit about deciding he doesn't like players and not giving them a chance.

On the play in question Lazor sent out Tate and Mixon (I think on Mixon).   He pulled them off and put in Core and Gio.   I wonder if Marvin made that revision?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 06:51 PM)3wt Wrote: You're right.   AU 165 is right, Tate has only been targeted twice.  Core has a career of catching 50% of his targets and no touchdowns.

I don't know what they're seeing in practice, but I want to see what Tate does in games.   Give him the targets.

I don't think Marvin likes Tate.  And I won't lie, I think Marvin has the habit about deciding he doesn't like players and not giving them a chance.

On the play in question Lazor sent out Tate and Mixon (I think on Mixon).   He pulled them off and put in Core and Gio.   I wonder if Marvin made that revision?

Makes you wonder.  Someone effed that up.  I don't pretend to know what they see in practice, nor do I pretend to think that a guy who plays well in college automatically means NFL success.  Having said that, I've seen Auden make some pretty damn nice catches from a notoriously inaccurate QB, (Francios) and a freshman (Blackman) during his time in Tallahassee.  So much so, that fans are lamenting the loss of him this season as the Seminoles struggle.  I'm just at the point of "what can it hurt"?  If he fails, you're right back where you started from.  Sometimes you just gotta take a chance and see what shakes out.  Him dropping that pass is no worse than Core dropping it.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin has been a head coach for 16 years.

List all of the great players that he refused to promote from the practice squad.

I'll wait.

Last year Jake Elliot.  40-49 career with long this year of 56 and last year 61. Touche!!
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 05:43 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: By percentage of receptions Tate is better. 

No he isn't.  Both have a 50% catch rate this season and Core's career catch rate is .537

(11-20-2018, 05:43 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  I know that Tate can go up and make contested catches, Core can't.

Core can make contested catches just as well as Tate.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 07:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he isn't.  Both have a 50% catch rate this season and Core's career catch rate is .537

Core can make contested catches just as well as Tate.
Tate had more catches yesterday than Core had all of 2107.                                                                                                                                         
Yeah he proved it in Pittsburgh and last Sunday by dropping both throws.
Reply/Quote