Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML: Tate was on the practice squad for a reason
(11-26-2018, 11:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: Man, that practice squad bum made some GREAT catches yesterday......jus' sayin'.....

2 catches in 7 targets for only 15 yards.

And no one from the Bengals ever called hum a bum.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He had 2 catches for 15 yards on 7 targets.

I do think he deserves more playing time. Just trying to put things in perspective.

(11-26-2018, 12:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2 catches in 7 targets for only 15 yards.

I agree....but those were two nice catches....after he seemed to settle in a bit.  Also, there was the one he nearly came down with that would have been on highlight reels for weeks....I've not seen a guy twist his body in midair that way to get his hands on the ball since Ocho.  The ground knocked the ball loose, and then there was the throw on 4th down that he was interfered on.  That throw should have gone to Boyd anyway, he was WIDE OPEN over the middle.  Wasn't one of those a 4th or 3rd down conversion he caught?  Seems like it was, but I don't recall.  More snaps may lead to more production.  I did not see the 1st half, but I know Dalton targeted him once in the red zone as I listened on the radio.  Was it a missed throw or a drop?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:55 AM)motoarch Wrote: Tate made our back up qb look way better than he actually was.  He played like someone that wants to be out there bad.

It looked that way.   OR maybe he was running his routes wrong (why he has not been on the field so much?) and compensated by making helicopter catches.

Hope those two get it worked out whichever it is!   They both have interesting skills.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree....but those were two nice catches....after he seemed to settle in a bit.  Also, there was the one he nearly came down with that would have been on highlight reels for weeks....I've not seen a guy twist his body in midair that way to get his hands on the ball since Ocho.  The ground knocked the ball loose, and then there was the throw on 4th down that he was interfered on.  That throw should have gone to Boyd anyway, he was WIDE OPEN over the middle.  Wasn't one of those a 4th or 3rd down conversion he caught?  Seems like it was, but I don't recall.  More snaps may lead to more production.  I did not see the 1st half, but I know Dalton targeted him once in the red zone as I listened on the radio.  Was it a missed throw or a drop?

I liked what I saw from him. Outside of Boyd and Green, our other WR spots should be open for competition.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:56 PM)3wt Wrote: It looked that way.   OR maybe he was running his routes wrong (why he has not been on the field so much?) and compensated by making helicopter catches.

Hope those two get it worked out whichever it is!   They both have interesting skills.

That's a fair point.  Driskell was throwing some good balls, and some got away from him.  Boyd made a helluva catch on one over the middle, so maybe it was jitters for the young QB, or the young WR in the wrong spot, or a little of both.  What I like, and what can't be taught, is that catch radius.  I saw it at FSU, and he's showing some flashes at this level as well.  For me, I just like him better than Core as an option.  To be fair to Core, he did catch a ball on 2 targets.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I liked what I saw from him. Outside of Boyd and Green, our other WR spots should be open for competition.

Ross did ok yesterday.....I did not see the INT, but I saw mentioned on Cincy Jungle that maybe Ross was a bit culpable in that.  What's your perspective on it?

Also, agree about the WR spots.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ross did ok yesterday.....I did not see the INT, but I saw mentioned on Cincy Jungle that maybe Ross was a bit culpable in that.  What's your perspective on it?

I don't know that I'd blame Ross.

He had 3 catches for 31 yards on 7 targets.

I wouldn't say he had a bad game. I just expect more from a 1st Round pick. And it could just be how he's used.

I see teams put WR's at RB so they can run and not get bumped. I just see no creativity with Ross. None.

Lazor is mediocre at best.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's a fair point.  Driskell was throwing some good balls, and some got away from him.  Boyd made a helluva catch on one over the middle, so maybe it was jitters for the young QB, or the young WR in the wrong spot, or a little of both.  What I like, and what can't be taught, is that catch radius.  I saw it at FSU, and he's showing some flashes at this level as well.  For me, I just like him better than Core as an option.  To be fair to Core, he did catch a ball on 2 targets.

There were 4-5 throws where Driskell threw Lasers and hit the receiver right in stride in the hands.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There were 4-5 throws where Driskell threw Lasers and hit the receiver right in stride in the hands.

Absolutely.  I think he did a great job coming in cold.  He's much more exciting than McCarron, that's for sure.  Regardless of the severity of the thumb injury, it's on Dalton's throwing hand.  I'd roll with Driskell next week and see what shakes out.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ross did ok yesterday.....I did not see the INT, but I saw mentioned on Cincy Jungle that maybe Ross was a bit culpable in that.  What's your perspective on it?

On the int, Ross and Uzi were in the same area on different levels.  It almost looked like Dalton tried to change his mind on who to throw to in the middle of his throwing motion.

Ross is at least developing.  He seems to be getting a little better each week.  He got wide open on a fly route early in the game, but Dalton overthrew him.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely.  I think he did a great job coming in cold.  He's much more exciting than McCarron, that's for sure.  Regardless of the severity of the thumb injury, it's on Dalton's throwing hand.  I'd roll with Driskell next week and see what shakes out.

Plus, he's mobile. Behind this bad line, you need that.

He also didn't have the shell shocked, happy feet that Dalton has.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: On the int, Ross and Uzi were in the same area on different levels.  It almost looked like Dalton tried to change his mind on who to throw to in the middle of his throwing motion.

Ross is at least developing.  He seems to be getting a little better each week.  He got wide open on a fly route early in the game, but Dalton overthrew him.

On the fly route, I think Ross has to catch that or atleast make a play on it more than he did. He had no closing speed on the ball.

I thought the ball was pretty well placed.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: On the int, Ross and Uzi were in the same area on different levels.  It almost looked like Dalton tried to change his mind on who to throw to in the middle of his throwing motion.

Interesting....thanks for the insight.  I heard the overthrow.

(11-26-2018, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Plus, he's mobile. Behind this bad line, you need that.

He also didn't have the shell shocked, happy feet that Dalton has.

True that.....give him time behind these guys, he'll get happy....lol

(11-26-2018, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: On the fly route, I think Ross has to catch that or atleast make a play on it more than he did. He had no closing speed on the ball.

I thought the ball was pretty well placed.

The one thing Lap said was that Dalton should have changed the trajectory a bit, but also said Ross could have made a better play on the ball.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Interesting....thanks for the insight.  I heard the overthrow.

True that.....give him time behind these guys, he'll get happy....lol

The one thing Lap said was that Dalton should have changed the trajectory a bit, but also said Ross could have made a better play on the ball.

I think that's fair.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He had 2 catches for 15 yards on 7 targets.

I do think he deserves more playing time. Just trying to put things in perspective.

Well that’s what I get for tuning late. I only saw the last couple drives of the game.
That aside he looked like he was giving it all at the end there. I like it when a guy dosent give up.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely.  I think he did a great job coming in cold.  He's much more exciting than McCarron, that's for sure.  Regardless of the severity of the thumb injury, it's on Dalton's throwing hand.  I'd roll with Driskell next week and see what shakes out.

I said in another thread I'd like to see what Driskel can do with getting some real prep time with the starting O for the week, and as you said see what shakes out.

But at same time I didn't mention that even though he would get a gameplan for him with practice reps, the opposing defense (Broncos) will also have time to prepare for him.

Anyways he definitely played better than Dalton yesterday, behind the same o-line, same coordinator, and without AJ. But that definitely doesnt mean he can be better than Dalton over any stretch of time either.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:36 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I said in another thread I'd like to see what Driskel can do with getting some real prep time with the starting O for the week, and as you said see what shakes out.

But at same time I didn't mention that even though he would get a gameplan for him with practice reps, the opposing defense (Broncos) will also have time to prepare for him.

Anyways he definitely played better than Dalton yesterday, behind the same o-line, same coordinator, and without AJ. But that definitely doesnt mean he can be better than Dalton over any stretch of time either.

Yeah, I'd just make sure Dalton's not going out there less than 100%.  Dalton did have a nice run, and hit Ross for a TD....but it was way too late.  I'd definitely see what happens if the hand doesn't heal.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:35 PM)motoarch Wrote: Well that’s what I get for tuning late.  I only saw the last couple drives of the game.
That aside he looked like he was giving it all at the end there.  I like it when a guy dosent give up.

Right....I saw the 2nd half, and none of the first.  I liked what I saw, and some of that could be due to him working with Driskell more than Dalton in practice.  One target he fell down on, one was a acrobat act that the ground knocked loose, one was from Dalton in the 1st half, and the other was last throw to him.  The two he made were nice.

Reply/Quote
I'm curious where Erickson has been during this absence from Green. I really thought he'd get more looks.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 01:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm curious where Erickson has been during this absence from Green. I really thought he'd get more looks.

He is a prototypical possession type receiver, yet Lazor has rarely utilized him that way. Imo he just isn't used right in the offense. I mean how can the punt returner just be a punt returner but not have any part in the offense as he is a receiver? Doesn't make much sense to me, unless he isn't that smart like whats his name for the Pats.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote