Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Mac Jones cheap shot
Obviously we are all misreading his intentions

Mac Jones, in an interview today

Quote:“Obviously, I went down in front of him to kind of get in the way, to stop him from slowing down Tyquan, who obviously could make the tackle there,” Jones said, via NESN.com. “Just kind of went down in front of him and tried to stop a fast guy from getting to another fast guy. Just a split-second decision, and there’s a lot that goes into it. You’re out there trying to compete, and it’s a physical game, so just trying to help the team win. I have all the respect for Eli and the Bengals. They played a great game. There’s no hard feelings and definitely no intention to hurt anybody on that play, nor do I believe that when I’m playing quarterback that’s what [the defense is trying to do]. I get hit a lot, too. We’re all out there playing hard, and it’s just part of the game.”

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 06:32 PM)pally Wrote: Obviously we are all misreading his intentions

Yep, you most likely are. As I said IMO, his intention was to keep Eli from running interference for Pratt on the return. 

Who could ever guess a QB might not get the block textbook? 

Like I said he Eli takes issue with in, I will, but he most likely knows why Mac did it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 05:33 PM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: What part of "no tackling below the knees after a turnover" does Jones POS move not violate?

He's a QB, he's doing what he can. Hell, we had a QB that couldn't try to make a tackle without breaking his thumb. 

Reply/Quote
Apple doesn’t need to flame Jones himself. Everyone else is doing it for him. Star NFL players are even retweeting people calling for fines and suspension.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 07:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Apple doesn’t need to flame Jones himself. Everyone else is doing it for him. Star NFL players are even retweeting people calling for fines and suspension.

I wonder if any of the "ton of negative replies" came from any NFL players? 

But you're most likely right. If Eli thought it was dirty, he'd let others do his talking on twitter

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 07:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wonder if any of the "ton of negative replies" came from any NFL players? 

But you're most likely right. If Eli thought it was dirty, he'd let others do his talking on twitter

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 06:32 PM)pally Wrote: Obviously we are all misreading his intentions

Apple had no chance of catching up and throwing a legal block.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
And...it seems the NFL is looking into a fine on Jones:

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-qb-mac-jones-could-face-fine-for-low-hit-on-bengals-cb-eli-apple
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 07:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, you most likely are. As I said IMO, his intention was to keep Eli from running interference for Pratt on the return. 

Who could ever guess a QB might not get the block textbook? 

Like I said he Eli takes issue with in, I will, but he most likely knows why Mac did it. 

And the slide where he kicks the guy in the nuts? Or twisted the guy’s ankle? No benefit of the doubt from me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ima take the unpopular stance that it was not a cheapshot. Eli could have easily caught up with Pratt and blocked for him. It very well could be standard procedure.

WTS, the biggest clue to me it wasn't dirty or unusual is: I've seen no reports of Eli tweeting the shit out of it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/12/25/eli-apple-says-mac-jones-dive-at-the-knees-was-a-dirty-play-cincinnati-new-england-fourth-quarter/69755668007/

Eli as well as other commentors/players have come out and said it was a dirty play. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 07:42 PM)TheFan Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/12/25/eli-apple-says-mac-jones-dive-at-the-knees-was-a-dirty-play-cincinnati-new-england-fourth-quarter/69755668007/

Eli as well as other commentors/players have come out and said it was a dirty play. 

You cited the same quote that Nicomo did. Eli replied to a question asked by a reporter. If we are to believe the reporter as we've seen no words from Eli. 

If you and others assert that if Eli thought it was something malicious and wasn't tweeting it on his own accord, then we'll just disagree.

Was it legal? it didn't appear to be. But the QB is chasing Pratt and when he realizes he cannot catch him he lays down in front of a defender chasing the play. 

WTS, we'll see what the league has to say about it. IMO if they assert it wasn't an intentional attempt to injure Eli most will say "Because Pats".

We need to give up the old narratives.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 07:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And the slide where he kicks the guy in the nuts?  Or twisted the guy’s ankle?  No benefit of the doubt from me.

I give less than 2 shits about Mac Jones and have no intention to research his nefarious nature. I'm simply giving my views of what I see and I see no intent to injure anyone; he's trying to get in Eli's way. If folks call that "a shot", then we have differing opinions on what constitutes a shot. Dude laid down

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 07:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I give less than 2 shits about Mac Jones and have no intention to research his nefarious nature. I'm simply giving my views of what I see and I see no intent to injure anyone; he's trying to get in Eli's way. If folks call that "a shot", then we have differing opinions on what constitutes a shot. Dude laid down

he's trying to get into Eli's way of what....

dont answer. I like seeing you shit post
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 07:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You cited the same quote that Nicomo did. Eli replied to a question asked by a reporter. If we are to believe the reporter as we've seen no words from Eli. 

If you and others assert that if Eli thought it was something malicious and wasn't tweeting it on his own accord, then we'll just disagree.

Was it legal? it didn't appear to be. But the QB is chasing Pratt and when he realizes he cannot catch him he lays down in front of a defender chasing the play. 

WTS, we'll see what the league has to say about it. IMO if they assert it wasn't an intentional attempt to injure Eli most will say "Because Pats".

We need to give up the old narratives.

Bengals CB Eli Apple wasn’t happy with Patriots QB Mac Jones seemingly taking out his legs on the Cincinnati fumble return, which was called back. 

“Of course I did (notice it). He tripped me,” Apple told me. “I thought it was a dirty play. He’s done that before, I’ve seen it.”

Do you think the writer just made up the quote? I'm confused. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 08:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's trying to get into Eli's way of what....

dont answer. I like seeing you shit post

Didn't think that one through did you?

Reply/Quote
A simple “fair enough” would have sufficed…

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 08:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A simple “fair enough” would have sufficed…

I'd assume you're talking to others when you assert "fair enough" should be the proper reply.

In my original post on the matter, I stated a tell-tale sign to me was Eli "hasn't tweeted the shit out of it."

But apparently, the counter to that is some reporter from NESPN tweeted what Eli told him in an interview.

Eli Apple has shown he's not shy to throw shade in his own tweets. Why hasn't he if he feels someone intentionally tried to injure him?

Yet since then, folks are asserting I'm obtuse and my "shit posts". I simply provided my opinion on what I saw. 

My apologies for addressing the lynch mob once they've already lit the torches. 

Let me just close with "fair enough". 

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 07:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I give less than 2 shits about Mac Jones and have no intention to research his nefarious nature. I'm simply giving my views of what I see and I see no intent to injure anyone; he's trying to get in Eli's way. If folks call that "a shot", then we have differing opinions on what constitutes a shot. Dude laid down

You sound like a lawyer. "Get in someone's way" ? He dives at Apple's knees because he realized he couldn't catch the ball carrier and was seeking revenge on first target he saw.

And it seems you do care about defending Mac Jones.

Was he trying to cause a 2nd fumble when he shoved BJ Hill down at the end of the game ? How do you see that?
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 09:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You sound like a lawyer. "Get in someone's way" ? He dives at Apple's knees because he realized he couldn't catch the ball carrier and was seeking revenge on first target he saw.

And it seems you do care about defending Mac Jones.

Was he trying to cause a 2nd fumble when he shoved BJ Hill down at the end of the game ? How do you see that?

Fair enough

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 09:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fair enough

Fair enough then ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote