Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malik Jefferson, any chance?
I wasn't fond of this guy when we drafted him, felt worse about him once I saw him on the field.

What do we do with this kid? Is there any chances the coaches can get something out of him? At this point it seems like one of the worst 3rd round picks we have made in ages.

All this talk about LB and this guy never comes up, because I think all of us clearly already know he is a huge liability out there.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I haven’t given up on him. Slow learner was his MO coming out. Physically and athletically he’s the best LB on the team, just got to catch his brain up with his body now. I have more hope of this happening now that Haslett is gone.
Reply/Quote
He's a quandary. He's a very good athlete and can be successful just setting him free instead of playing in a structured system. That was supposedly his pre draft bio and how Texas used him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wasn't fond of this guy when we drafted him, felt worse about him once I saw him on the field.

What do we do with this kid? Is there any chances the coaches can get something out of him? At this point it seems like one of the worst 3rd round picks we have made in ages.

All this talk about LB and this guy never comes up, because I think all of us clearly already know he is a huge liability out there.

Thoughts?

Coach him up.  Maybe the new LB coach can do what Haslett couldn't.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
A lot will have to do with how the new regime feels about him and whether they believe he can overcome the negatives surrounding him. Overcoming the label of being a dummy is probably tougher than any injury and quite often the label is based more on personality than of any actual realities.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
He has the physical tools. That's big. I think you can teach a guy to be able to diagnose plays, but you can't teach him to run fast and shed blocks.

I wouldn't give up on him yet...but I wouldn't pencil him in as the solution to our LB issue either.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have to prepare as if he can't but I think he can. He has all the physical tools you look for.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The Bengals have to prepare as if he can't but I think he can. He has all the physical tools you look for.

What a game changer it would be if he could.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Other teams occasionally get 3rd, 4th, 5th Round picks who can start and make impacts early in their careers. It would be great if Jefferson could be that guy for us.
Reply/Quote
Never write off a player after his rookie season.

Not saying he will amount to anything. Just saying too early to say he won't.
Reply/Quote
We've had a ton of LB's with potential that haven't developed. Paul Dawson and a lot of others.

Gotta be one that progresses at some point.
Reply/Quote
just cant tell with Jefferson.
on one hand Haslett and Lewis had no idea how to
coach up modern day LBers as their stats vs the pass
was evident.
then on the other hand Jefferson was given simple tasks without thinking too much at Texas.
maybe thats where Duffer comes in. to get these guys like Worley and him up to speed.
Reply/Quote
You guys wanting to write off Jefferson didn't pay attention when he was drafted. The Bengals said very plainly at the time he would be a "project" to develop into an NFL linebacker. That does not happen in a rookie season. Give him a couple of years, he may surprise a lot of people.
Reply/Quote
I thought he showed huge improvement through the preseason games last year.

Luckily shithead Marvin is gone. Cant believe with as horrible as our D was star QB and star WR done for the year and injuries at LB. We couldnt get our 3rd round pick on the field to get him some experience.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wasn't fond of this guy when we drafted him, felt worse about him once I saw him on the field.

Thoughts?

Why do people crucify players after just a rookie season? You felt worse about him once you saw him on the field? So your premise is that you actually made a play determination about him after he played 11 defensive snaps?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 02:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I thought he showed huge improvement through the preseason games last year.

Luckily shithead Marvin is gone. Cant believe with as horrible as our D was star QB and star WR done for the year and injuries at LB. We couldnt get our 3rd round pick on the field to get him some experience.

I think that is what shocked me the most about Jefferson's development. You had a defense that was giving up 5+ TDs a game, would it really hurt to get the guy in there to get his feet wet?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 02:58 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why do people crucify players after just a rookie season? You felt worse about him once you saw him on the field? So your premise is that you actually made a play determination about him after he played 11 defensive snaps?

First off, how was this thread anywhere near crucifying the guy? I said he is a liability at this point in his career, not that he is a heaping load of goat turds.... (okay, maybe "worst 3rd round pick in ages" counts as 'crucifixion', but I expect more out of our 3rd round picks than what this guy has offered so far.... why you crucifying me bro??? Tongue)

So yes, I read about his issues with play recognition and gamespeed pre-draft. Then I saw those issues come to light anytime he was on the field. So yes, my premise was confirmed from the limited snaps I had seen. Haven't written him off, but haven't bought in on his potential either.
Reply/Quote
I'm anxious to see what several of our younger players can do under the new regime, Jefferson among them.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 01:25 PM)Goalpost Wrote: He's a quandary. He's a very good athlete and can be successful just setting him free instead of playing in a structured system. That was supposedly his pre draft bio and how Texas used him.

Seems like a perfect candidate for a run and chase Will.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2019, 02:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think that is what shocked me the most about Jefferson's development. You had a defense that was giving up 5+ TDs a game, would it really hurt to get the guy in there to get his feet wet?

Yep. Nickerson was extremely bad. What would it have hurt to play Jefferson?

Same with Westerman on offense.
Reply/Quote