Poll: Should the team cut Mark Walton for his off-the-field arrests and behavior?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Walton Arrested
So the bright side of all of this? It wasn't Mixon. Send this guy to the AAF where he belongs.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:47 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You forgot to add, "Just move the damn car, geez"!!!! LMAO

LOL.....I guess I did establish a pattern, huh?

Just move the damn car Mark! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With a good OL, RB's are a dime a dozen.

Keeping Walton over Hill was just stubornness. "We drafted him so he must be better than the other guy"
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 06:26 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: With a good OL, RB's are a dime a dozen.

Keeping Walton over Hill was just stubornness. "We drafted him so he must be better than the other guy"

Brian Hill was in his second season yet no team in the league would give him a roster spot at the beginning of the year.
Reply/Quote
Hell, if we're going to keep a RB on the roster that assaults women (ok a second RB on the roster that assaults women) we should have at least been as smart as the Browns and signed Hunt.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good point about the draft, and the rest.  I think, overall, Bell is the better player for sure, but he's missed some time due to injuries, pot, and now this....so his value has been diminished a tad.  

In that draft, we could have had Ertz or Kelce over Eifert.  We picked Hunt ahead of Kelce, Keenan Allen, Alex Okafor, Honey Badger, Larry Warford, Brandon Williams, etc.  Yikes!

Now there was a reach.....Margus Hunt.

Yep! That was one of those drafts where the Bengals has some misses. If Bell had been drafted by the Bengals I am pretty sure that he wouldn't have been re-signed by the team. But his yardage was great his first 4 years.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brian Hill was in his second season yet no team in the league would give him a roster spot at the beginning of the year.

That should tell you how bad Walton has been. Hill ran circles around Walton in the pre-season, which was when they were both competing for the same job. Too bad Marvin didn't look at production when he made that choice.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 08:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That should tell you how bad Walton has been. Hill ran circles around Walton in the pre-season, which was when they were both competing for the same job. Too bad Marvin didn't look at production when he made that choice.

Preseason production is almost meaningless.  Some guys are playing against 1's and 2's while other guys are playing against scrubs.  Remember when Cedric Peerman was a fan favorite around here for what he did one preseason?

If I remember correctly none of the top 5 rushers in the league in preseason made a final roster.

The rest of the league watched all the preseason tape on Hill and decided he was not worth a roster spot.  The Falcons signed him to their practice squad mainly because he was with them in 2017.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 09:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Preseason production is almost meaningless.  Some guys are playing against 1's and 2's while other guys are playing against scrubs.  Remember when Cedric Peerman was a fan favorite around here for what he did one preseason?

If I remember correctly none of the top 5 rushers in the league in preseason made a final roster.

The rest of the league watched all the preseason tape on Hill and decided he was not worth a roster spot.  The Falcons signed him to their practice squad mainly because he was with them in 2017.

When two guys are competing against each other for a position and they both know it, you would think that pre-season production means a lot. At least it should mean a lot to each of them. I don't care what AJ Green does or doesn't do in the pre-season. But Walton's regular season turned out just like his pre-season, nada.

Falcon's also promoted him to the 53 man roster only a few games into the season. Who's to say Walton wouldn't have been on someone's practice squad if Marv had cut him. Now he's a dope smoking woman scratcher.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 09:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote:  Who's to say Walton wouldn't have been on someone's practice squad if Marv had cut him. 

Who's to say Brian Hill would have been worse than Walton running behind the Bengals line?

We can play the "make believe" game all you want but the fact is that Hill's preseason production was not enough to get him a roster spot with any other team in the league so you can't blame Marvin for not keeping him on ours.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 09:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who's to say Brian Hill would have been worse than Walton running behind the Bengals line?

We can play the "make believe" game all you want but the fact is that Hill's preseason production was not enough to get him a roster spot with any other team in the league so you can't blame Marvin for not keeping him on ours.

Hill was signed two days after he was waived.
He was on the practice squad week 1, and on the active roster week 2.
He was on an active roster under 2 weeks.

Mark Walton averaged 1 YPC in preseason. And while preseason should be taken with a grain of salt, he clearly was outplayed by Hill.

Hill averaged 5.1 YPC compared to Walton's 1 YPC (and that's rounding up)
Mark had two different games where he averaged negative YPC. 5 rushes for -9 yards.
Excluding those games, Walton doesn't hit 2 YPC.
Mark Walton had 22 rushes for 21 yards.
Brian Hill had 17 rushes for 87 yards.

But wait, let's get into receiving! Maybe THAT is where Walton's play was better than Hill's.
Mark Walton had one reception for 5 yards.
Brian Hill had 6 receptions for 70 yards.

So Mark Walton had 23 total touches for 26 total yards.
Brian Hill had 23 total touches for 157 yards.

But preseason is preseason. Let's look how they did in the regular season.

Walton played in 14 games.
Hill played in 10.

Walton had 14 rushing attempts.
Hill had 20 rushing attempts.

Walton had 34 rushing yards, averaging 2.4 YPC.
Hill had 157 rushing yards, averaging 7.8 YPC.

Yes, Hill had a 60 yard run.
Even taking that away, Hill had 97 rushing yards on 19 carries. That's still higher than 5 YPC.

Can include receiving yards, and that's actually closer.
As Walton has 5 receptions for 41 yards.
And Hill has 3 receptions for 45 yards.

I don't really see where you can't blame Marvin. Am I missing something?
Marvin made a choice and after 1 year, it seems like a poor one. And that's not including off the field issues.
However, you can't blame Marvin for that part by any means.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 09:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Preseason production is almost meaningless.  Some guys are playing against 1's and 2's while other guys are playing against scrubs.  Remember when Cedric Peerman was a fan favorite around here for what he did one preseason?

Peerman had very, very good production on STs. He was able to produce because he had the requisite brains and athleticism. Walton possesses neither and has 0 upside because of it. 
Reply/Quote

Preseason games aren't completely meaningless. It's really the only time many young players get a chance to show that they can compete with other NFL quality talent, the area beyond college. You can look at their college production, but until they strap in with the rest of the guys trying to make the jump from college to pros they're still just former college players. Where else can they display whatever talent they may have beyond college games? 
So they might be playing against scrubs.. So what? Many of those scrubs go on to long NFL careers. Many won't make it, but those who do become pros and it's the only time we as fans ever get to see them after college before they actually become professional football players. It might not seem important to you, but I'm sure coaches and teams see it quite differently. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 08:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Gio Bernard is only 5'8" and ran a 4.53.

I think the difference being that Gio actually plays at that speed.  Walton, on the other hand, may have benefitted from training specifically to run the 40 for the combine.  I say that because from what I watched of him, both in his limited exposure with the Bengals, and from his college stuff, he certainly doesn't appear fast on the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/18/mark-walton-unreported-january-arrest/

And there's more. Perhaps this has already been posted I didn't go back very far in the thread ? Not a good off season for a marginal roster player.
Reply/Quote
the eye test alone tells you Hill was 10x the RB Walton was in preseason.
But Tobin is gonna save face and cut the guy they didnt draft RD 4 pick 137.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 10:47 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/18/mark-walton-unreported-january-arrest/

And there's more. Perhaps this has already been posted I didn't go back very far in the thread ? Not a good off season for a marginal roster player.

While these incidents might look petty in nature, particularly when viewed as individual entities, combined they show a patter of behavior that we've seen before.  Young man from the streets gets some pro sports money in his pocket, then proceeds to demonstrate bad behavior.  I think the team needs to cut this guy, now.  By allowing him to remain, it only reinforces to Walton that his behavior is acceptable, because he's an athlete.  If you or I were caught in possession of illegal drugs, then went on to get arrested for assaulting a female a month later, we'd likely have been canned from our jobs before the week began..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
if they cut him..trust me the team wont miss him.
he can be replaced....
hes a dime a dozen RB
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 11:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While these incidents might look petty in nature, particularly when viewed as individual entities, combined they show a patter of behavior that we've seen before.  Young man from the streets gets some pro sports money in his pocket, then proceeds to demonstrate bad behavior.  I think the team needs to cut this guy, now.  By allowing him to remain, it only reinforces to Walton that his behavior is acceptable, because he's an athlete.  If you or I were caught in possession of illegal drugs, then went on to get arrested for assaulting a female a month later, we'd likely have been canned from our jobs before the week began..

Agreed,

I've read several articles now where ZT speaks a lot about changing the culture here you can tell it's weighing heavily on his mind and rightfully so. Cutting Walton now would be an excellent way to fire a shot across the bow and get that culture change going full speed ahead !
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 11:24 AM)impactplaya Wrote: the eye test alone tells you Hill was 10x the RB Walton was in preseason.
But Tobin is gonna save face and cut the guy they didnt draft RD 4 pick 137.

I'm sure it was Marvin's doing. He loves hard luck cases.

Reply/Quote