Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Marvins work with defense finally having effect.
I knew Marvin's work as DC would take some time to show some results, but it looks like it is finally paying off after just a game and a half. Bengals held the Browns to just 66 yards in the second half.

Nick Chubb came into that game averaging well over 5 yards per carry, but we held him to just 3.0. I look for us to do the same to the Broncos rookie RB sensation Phillip Lindsay. Lindsay has been the Broncos sole bright spot over the last couple of weeks. After gaining at least 350 yards in 6 of their first 8 games the Broncos have failed to reach that mark in their last 3 games.

If Driskal can stay away from turnovers I think we can move the ball on Denver's 25th ranked defense. Playoff push starts this Sunday. Since 2011 the Bengals have won 60% of their games in the last 5 weeks of the season. Only 6 teams have a better record than that.
Reply/Quote
Yeah ok.....
Reply/Quote
35 points after only 32 minutes of play is not an improvement no matter how you slice it.
Reply/Quote
Put. The pipe. Down.
Reply/Quote
Didn't the Browns go 4 drives for 4 TDs then got a gift TD to start the second half?

When winning 35 to 7 you don't get creative on offense you don't have to push the ball down the field...you just run the clock.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The ultimate troll right there LOL
Reply/Quote
Please don’t try and defend Marv. He fired his DC only to go on and give up opening TD drives in both games. Not to mention he gave up TD drives on the first four possessions of the Browns game. He’s as bad as his defense and you know it. Unless your whole post was sarcastic you are officially high.

Denver may have 25th ranked D but their line will devour our o-line. Look for 4+ sacks and maybe 2 INTs.
Reply/Quote
Wow
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
You're bordering on trolling lately, Fred. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't care if Marvin hasn't been a DC in over a decade.

That first drive of the Ravens game was flat out embarrassing.

11 straight runs. Couldn't figure out his headset.

Didn't call a time out, even though he'd burn one when we have offensive players not covered in the end zone.

That is not bad.... it's flat out dumbass shit.

Oh well. I guess we'll prop him up for slowing down the Browns run game when they were up several scores. Rolleyes
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No. Just no. I am a big fan of Fred because he pulls out statistics like Dave Lapham does — which is extremely impressive — but I’m done with Marvin Lewis. I watched the Stephen A. Smith rant and he is right. Quoting statistics from garbage time against the Cleveland Browns is not representative of the season.

Now, to be honest, I want Fred to be right and for me to be wrong. Nothing would make me happier than for Marvin to prepare his defense and beat up the Denver Broncos. I would love to see a shutout.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I knew Marvin's work as DC would take some time to show some results, but it looks like it is finally paying off after just a game and a half. Bengals held the Browns to just 66 yards in the second half.

Nick Chubb came into that game averaging well over 5 yards per carry, but we held him to just 3.0. I look for us to do the same to the Broncos rookie RB sensation Phillip Lindsay. Lindsay has been the Broncos sole bright spot over the last couple of weeks. After gaining at least 350 yards in 6 of their first 8 games the Broncos have failed to reach that mark in their last 3 games.

If Driskal can stay away from turnovers I think we can move the ball on Denver's 25th ranked defense. Playoff push starts this Sunday. Since 2011 the Bengals have won 60% of their games in the last 5 weeks of the season. Only 6 teams have a better record than that.

The positive is that the game plan worked in shutting down their run. But the miscalculation was that Mayfield couldn't beat us with his arm.

So there is a bright side, in that this week we were able to stop the run - which we couldn't do in the Ravens game, regardless of the front we used.

What upsets me is that we emboldened Mayfield. Whom I view as a punk.

Don't know him, or much about him. But I view him as such.
Reply/Quote
Marvin gets credit when it’s for 4qtrs. Not when he is awarded trash stats because the other team (ahem... the BROWNS) lay off of us because it was already embarrassing. WTS, I love the thread, along with your optimism Fred. It’s extremely tough to be a Bengals fan right now. Which is obviously seen in many. So I will jump on the coattails of your optimism and root them onto a 10-6 season. Cool

Reply/Quote
I have to agree with Fred on the defense second half play.It was impressive.We all know this defense has talent, and they have underperformed all year.Maybe they finally got it together.We now have a healthy AJ,Boyd,Ross,Mixon,Bernard,and a quarterback who is not afraid to cut it loose.I like our chances.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 08:42 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Please don’t try and defend Marv. He fired his DC only to go on and give up opening TD drives in both games. Not to mention he gave up TD drives on the first four possessions of the Browns game. He’s as bad as his defense and you know it. Unless your whole post was sarcastic you are officially high.

Denver may have 25th ranked D but their line will devour our o-line. Look for 4+ sacks and maybe 2 INTs.

I admire the optimism....but the truth is we are simply horrible on D. Our overpaid D line stinks at both stopping the run and rushing the passer. Our LBs are scrubs at best and our Dbs are average. Mix in the bad coaching and "you got what we got"
Worst D I have ever seen in my 45 yrs of following the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 08:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You're bordering on trolling lately, Fred.  Mellow

Bordering?

Lately?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
To be fair, I thought the run defense played well all game even during the first half. Most of Chubb's yards came on one long run.

I still think Lindsay is going to have a field day on Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 10:37 PM)XsandOs Wrote: The positive is that the game plan worked in shutting down their run. But the miscalculation was that Mayfield couldn't beat us with his arm.

So there is a bright side, in that this week we were able to stop the run - which we couldn't do in the Ravens game, regardless of the front we used.

What upsets me is that we emboldened Mayfield. Whom I view as a punk.

Don't know him, or much about him. But I view him as such.

I agree about Mayfield.  I hear he has already gone up one on his helmet size.   This kind of applies to their whole team.  Fine, you won a game.  Doesn't mean you have to be dicks about it.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I knew Marvin's work as DC would take some time to show some results, but it looks like it is finally paying off after just a game and a half. Bengals held the Browns to just 66 yards in the second half.

Playoff push....

That's funny.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:45 AM)jason Wrote: Playoff push....

That's funny.

We pushed the playoffs away from us weeks ago. 
Reply/Quote