Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron Needs To Play Against Tampa, or forget about it
I see people just having him as the #2 QB....I guarantee you the coaches don't. He has never played in one snap of a preseason or regular season game since drafted in 2014. If he doesn't get healthy and play in preseason game 2, he has again missed too much time. There will be little time for the back-ups in preseason game 3. If McCarron can't go against Tampa, you really have to go with Johnson who has at least been in preseason games the last 2 years. .......I hope McCarron can play and do good, but it's kind of a time is running out on him again in 2015 situation.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Meh, I'm disappointed McCarron just can't get on the field after over a year BUT I don't see the point in giving pre-season time to a QB we picked up for the sole reason of having experience within the system. Pulling the plug on McCarron would mean we get to see more Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo than we need and 0 of McCarron so that we are (probably) looking at a 2016 pre-season where McCarron would have 0 snaps of any sort.

What the fudge good does that do anyone?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Whatever happens just don't waste a roster spot for 3 QBs, they'd be screwing over a deserving player.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:17 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Whatever happens just don't waste a roster spot for 3 QBs, they'd be screwing over a deserving player.

Don't most teams carry 3?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:17 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Whatever happens just don't waste a roster spot for 3 QBs, they'd be screwing over a deserving player.

At this point I think they could get McCarron past waivers and put him on the PS.

Not many teams want a QB that has never played in the NFL and hasn't played any football in nearly 2 years.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Don't most teams carry 3?

No.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:00 AM)Joe Pong Wrote: No.

Oh, well I guess it's Andy and Josh Johnson forever.  Sigh.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Don't most teams carry 3?

To be honest I wouldn't know, I would think for teams w/ younger unproven starters carry 3, but specifically for our case, we're already gonna let a few guys go that deserve a spot on the roster, I don't want to lose one more because we have 2 clipboard holders on the 53.
Reply/Quote
I was hopeful McCarron would turn into a Fitz. Stop laughing, I loved the guy as a backup.

But, if he's a year into the league and hasn't played a down, that's not a good sign. Either he's too beat up to be of any use, or he's not very good and hiding behind "injuries" to bide time until he has to work in broadcasting or as a waiter.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:23 AM)Stormborn Wrote: To be honest I wouldn't know, I would think for teams w/ younger unproven starters carry 3, but specifically for our case, we're already gonna let a few guys go that deserve a spot on the roster, I don't want to lose one more because we have 2 clipboard holders on the 53.

It's time like these I really wish the NFL had the type of minor league system that baseball and now even the NBA has. Send the rookies down and let them get coached up and prepared for NFL life without the risk of losing them via waivers or practice squad.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:39 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It's time like these I really wish the NFL had the type of minor league system that baseball and now even the NBA has. Send the rookies down and let them get coached up and prepared for NFL life without the risk of losing them via waivers or practice squad.

Or they could just expand the rosters with inevitable revenue surplus that ensues a raise in the salary cap.

70 total, 10 PS, 53 active, 7 inactive
Reply/Quote
I think McCarron would easily pass waivers and go to the PS at this point. He's really only had a couple of good practices and that's it. No NFL experience. A 5th rounder who has been injury prone. The name might get a few sniffs, but ultimately he'll be passed over by other teams wishing to catch lightning in a bottle.

My guess is he'll be cut and signed to the PS where he'll stay for a few weeks and ultimately be placed on the 53 man roster and Johnson will go bye-bye.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 02:00 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Or they could just expand the rosters with inevitable revenue surplus that ensues a raise in the salary cap.

70 total, 10 PS, 53 active, 7 inactive

That would work as long as the 10 PS players didn't have the ability to be plucked up by another team, or have to go through waivers to get there. Should just be a place to let guys in their first few seasons as they learn and get coached up.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 02:16 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That would work as long as the 10 PS players didn't have the ability to be plucked up by another team, or have to go through waivers to get there. Should just be a place to let guys in their first few seasons as they learn and get coached up.

I think that sounds good too, but it would also be a double edged sword, then you couldn't pick up some team's wavier drops.

Maybe have the right to designate a few PS "locks", where they won't get into waivers in the first place. The guys you know you'd be straight up pissed if another team picked him up, but simply have too much going on at the position on the roster. You reserve the right to keep him for as long as his deal goes for, and then when its up and you don't want him after that, he gets thrown into the market.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 02:33 AM)Stormborn Wrote: I think that sounds good too, but it would also be a double edged sword, then you couldn't pick up some team's wavier drops.

Maybe have the right to designate a few PS "locks", where they won't get into waivers in the first place. The guys you know you'd be straight up pissed if another team picked him up, but simply have too much going on at the position on the roster. You reserve the right to keep him for as long as his deal goes for, and then when its up and you don't want him after that, he gets thrown into the market.

Hell Yeah!!!! my first post, well reply on this new board. btw thanks to you guys and gals that made this happen. Anyway...I see no reason to keep 3 Qb's on the roster when we have Sanu. There's not much hope left if your down to your 3rd QB in a game. I do think Sanu has a better deep ball than Dalton though.
Reply/Quote
Sorry Storm, didnt mean to reply to you, just the post in general.
Reply/Quote
The Coaches know enough about him from practice to know what type of player he his. I am sure they want to see him play in a preseason game but I doubt it keeps him off the roster if he doesn't play in one.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The guy injured himself throwing in non-contact with pads on.

Crazy.

Our backup situation is terrifying at the moment.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 04:26 AM)J24 Wrote: The Coaches know enough about him from practice to know what type of player he his. I am sure they want to see him play in a preseason game but I doubt it keeps him off the roster if he doesn't play in one.

Can you keep a guy who isn't going to be available to play if something happens to the starter? Keeping 3 QBs is a terrible decision, and if McCarron doesn't find the field, how can you justify keeping him on the 53 over a guy who is on the bubble and producing?

Reply/Quote
Josh Johnson....LOL
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote