Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron Needs To Play Against Tampa, or forget about it
(08-17-2015, 12:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying 7th rounders can't play well, but 1st round picks are more valuable than 7th round picks, ergo the player you select with the more valuable pick has more invested in him by the organization before he even puts on pads.  There is a reason everyone remembers the rounds players like Ryan Leaf and Tom Brady were selected nearly 20 years after the fact.

Emotional reasons. 

But it had nothing to do with how good/bad they were/are. 

It never mattered Tom Brady was a 6th round pick when grading him on his NFL performance
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 01:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if mccarron cant get live reps this preseason he is worthless to the team this year imo. the team wont be able to roll with a backup with no experience whatso ever and feel good about it.

Who says he can't get live reps?  There are three more preseason games, aren't there?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 07:47 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Sucked that the Jets got Fitzbeard in the trade.

I wouldve welcomed the beard back with open arms.

We tried to bring him back in 2013. He chose Tennessee over us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 04:39 PM)McC Wrote: Who says he can't get live reps?  There are three more preseason games, aren't there?

Yes there is.... but game 3 wont hold much time for backups with the starters playing a whole half and then some.

Game 4 and Game 2 is where he probly can get the most snaps out of whats left.

So he needs to be ready to go come tampa time.

Im rooting for him to get on the field cause i like everyone else wants to see what he cant do. but if he cant get there (on the field) then theres no way you can keep him as the only backup imo
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 05:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We tried to bring him back in 2013. He chose Tennessee over us.

It was a better opportunity to start, so I can't blame him. He obviously likes Cincy and some of the coaches or he wouldn't have talked to us. 

Still, Dalton had a much firmer grip on his starting gig than Jake Locker. So he just chose the better path for his career.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 05:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It was a better opportunity to start, so I can't blame him. He obviously likes Cincy and some of the coaches or he wouldn't have talked to us. 

Still, Dalton had a much firmer grip on his starting gig than Jake Locker. So he just chose the better path for his career.

Agreed. Fitz wants to start. He has started everywhere he's gone since he left here. With Dalton, the coaches aren't going to pull him if he stinks it up. Fitz would never get a shot here.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
McCarron was back at practice today, so hopefully he'll be good to go for Tampa.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 03:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Emotional reasons. 

But it had nothing to do with how good/bad they were/are. 

It never mattered Tom Brady was a 6th round pick when grading him on his NFL performance

It's not just emotional reasoning because we couldn't have gotten Green AND Dalton had we picked one of the 1st round QBs.  Dalton being a 2nd rounder has a profound effect upon the way we built this team because taking Gabbert (or Ponder, or Mallet, etc) with the 4th overall pick means AJ Green goes elsewhere and if Dalton is picked by another team who "reaches" (I say reaches because even though Dalton has proven he is better than most of the 1st round QBs in his class he was a 2nd rounder then) we have to roll with a different QB.

Again, perhaps we are just dissing different things but the notion of getting value out of a player is heavily dependent upon where he is selected in the draft and who you didn't select in lieu of taking him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 06:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: McCarron was back at practice today, so hopefully he'll be good to go for Tampa.

Oh good. The over reactions can now stop again.

This is similar to the McCarron can't play in pads situation.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 06:47 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: Oh good. The over reactions can now stop again.

Yeah, it would be hard for him to be a superstar if he's injured all the time.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 06:47 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: Oh good. The over reactions can now stop again.

Hang on, he still has 7 days to tweak something.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 07:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hang on, he still has 7 days to tweak something.

True, lets just hope he can't keep it together Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
He's too busy getting Jesus chest tats to play.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 12:42 AM)J24 Wrote: 1.) If he is one of the 53 most talented players on the roster then its not a terrible decision.
2.) Is keeping Josh Johnson or kieth Wenning any more comforting? Might as well keep the most talented QB out of the three in AJ or sign Jason Campbell.

Yes keeping JJ at this moment is far more comforting then keeping McCarron.

McCarron has 0 NFL snaps in game conditions. JJ has shown he can understand an NFL offense and read an NFL defense. He is not the greatest, but he is a capable back-up. McCarron needs to get some reps off the practice field and in a game situation before you can feel comfortable with him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Today I learned certain legitimate injuries are more "dignified" than others.  Hmm.  Good to know. Rolleyes

Learn to read clown shoe.

I said surgery and contact injuries. McCarron has had two injuries since getting in the NFL, neither of which he got in a game or because of bone spur removal. He's literally getting hurt doing what he's done his entire life. It'd be like if you broke your jaw from all the crying you do.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 01:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Has Dre lived up to that 1st round pick enough so far to be smug about this?  Just asking.

He's done more than McCarron and all Dre gets is hate from every side and all McCarron gets is love from every side.

But since these boards and the fan base in general is full of insanity personified, it's not surprising.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 07:39 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: He's done more than McCarron and all Dre gets is hate from every side and all McCarron gets is love from every side.

But since these boards and the fan base in general is full of insanity personified, it's not surprising.

Mellow

I'm not sure what you've been reading to come to those conclusions. I think you may be letting all of the trolls from the old board sway your opinion of what's said on here somehow.

Dre Kirkpatrick has been heralded as the next great CB by a resounding majority of posters on here. There was bust talk on the old boards when he couldn't find the field and then didn't look good in his limited time. Ever since we've seen a larger sample size, the love for Dre Kirkpatrick has been pretty unbelievable if you ask me.

In the "McCarron is the next great star" thread, the general consensus seemed to be "let's see him play before we crown him".
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 07:39 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: He's done more than McCarron and all Dre gets is hate from every side and all McCarron gets is love from every side.

(08-17-2015, 08:02 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: He's too busy getting Jesus chest tats to play.
^^^So much love!^^^

As the person who posted on McCarron and how good he was in college and then after watching the fallout from fans, I can say he definitely doesn't get love from everyone. He's an enigma to most people who don't know how to feel about the quarterback situation in Cincy and there seems to be a lot of push back to any good news. AJ's more like the salt that keeps burning the wound that every Bengals fan deals with, which is Andy's playoff performances. But judging from the 6k plus views that the other thread got, I can say the QB is definitely a hot topic among Bengals posters. Some people want him to save the franchise, others want him to go away, but most people just want to see him live in action before they make a decision. 

I don't need to see him because I know he's got a huge upside. Unlike most NFL fans who casually admit they don't care much for college football, I can say I saw him play every game in college and I thought he was the best QB to come out of Alabama in a long time. He wasn't perfect he just had a high football IQ in a NFL style offensive system. Just wait for him to get a chance. I would bet money that you won't be disappointing in him, but if I did that somehow people will find a way to be underwhelmed even if he throws 5 TDs at Tampa.
Reply/Quote

This is why I brought up the fact that Dre cost us a 1st round pick and McCarron a 5th, but apparently the second after players are drafted they are thrown into one single giant category called "NFL Players" and that's the end of it.  Anywho, McCarron gets love because he's a QB that hasn't had a chance to do anything bad yet.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 08:20 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Mellow

I'm not sure what you've been reading to come to those conclusions. I think you may be letting all of the trolls from the old board sway your opinion of what's said on here somehow.

Dre Kirkpatrick has been heralded as the next great CB by a resounding majority of posters on here. There was bust talk on the old boards when he couldn't find the field and then didn't look good in his limited time. Ever since we've seen a larger sample size, the love for Dre Kirkpatrick has been pretty unbelievable if you ask me.

There has been a lot of Dre Kirk love going on, and I think we also pointed out if the Steelers picked him we'd be calling him a huge bust.  The expectations for Dre roll on.  In 2012 he was going to pick off Palmer for a pick 6 when we played the Raiders, and each subsequent year has been "the year he's going to break out" including 2015.
Reply/Quote