Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
McCarron blurb from si mmqb
Cleveland (1st, 12th picks in the first round). The Browns have to get a quarterback this off-season, and the quarterback can’t be an RG3-type placeholder or a Cody Kessler-shot-in-the-dark guess. I’m guessing the Browns inquire on Garoppolo and get rebuffed—unless they offer the 12th overall pick plus another high pick. At this stage, the Browns lead the league in high picks acquired, and it’s gotten them to the bottom of the league. Now it’s time to pay through the nose if there’s a quarterback Jackson loves. Then we come to the college guys. If Trubisky’s the guy, just take him first overall, as crazy as it sounds. But if Jackson is lukewarm on the top collegians, he likes McCarron a lot (he coached him as a Bengal rookie), and can fall back on him. He’ll just have to overpay, because Cincinnati owner Mike Brown does not want to trade him. The Browns have the 33rd, 51st and 65th picks to play with if McCarron’s their man.

That was taken from Peter King's article yesterday. I'm not sure which, if all picks he is referring to but I think ajm's trade value is rising and the bengals aren't forced to trade him this year.

P.s. Mods if this belongs in the draft section please move it
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 12:29 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Cleveland (1st, 12th picks in the first round). The Browns have to get a quarterback this off-season, and the quarterback can’t be an RG3-type placeholder or a Cody Kessler-shot-in-the-dark guess. I’m guessing the Browns inquire on Garoppolo and get rebuffed—unless they offer the 12th overall pick plus another high pick. At this stage, the Browns lead the league in high picks acquired, and it’s gotten them to the bottom of the league. Now it’s time to pay through the nose if there’s a quarterback Jackson loves. Then we come to the college guys. If Trubisky’s the guy, just take him first overall, as crazy as it sounds. But if Jackson is lukewarm on the top collegians, he likes McCarron a lot (he coached him as a Bengal rookie), and can fall back on him. He’ll just have to overpay, because Cincinnati owner Mike Brown does not want to trade him. The Browns have the 33rd, 51st and 65th picks to play with if McCarron’s their man.

That was taken from Peter King's article yesterday.  I'm not sure which, if all picks he is referring to but I think ajm's trade value is rising and the bengals aren't forced to trade him this year.  

P.s.  Mods if this belongs in the draft section please move it

If Mike Brown balks at a pick from either the 2-4th rounds then he's an idiot. If Cleveland is willing to give up a high 2nd round pick for AJ, you take that shit and never look back.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 10:18 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If Mike Brown balks at a pick from either the 2-4th rounds then he's an idiot. If Cleveland is willing to give up a high 2nd round pick for AJ, you take that shit and never look back.

Yes, so much yes. Everyone has been talking of getting a 2nd and 4th or getting a 1st or whatever....if someone is offering just a 2nd or 3rd, you make the trade. This draft has a lot of good talent in the first four rounds. If McCarron can net you an early-round pick, that should make the team better overall.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think the Browns make a trade with the Patriots for Jimmy G.

If that falls through then we can ask the sky for McCarron.

Im also intrigued by the player for player swap with the Texans for Fuller.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 12:29 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Cleveland (1st, 12th picks in the first round). The Browns have to get a quarterback this off-season, and the quarterback can’t be an RG3-type placeholder or a Cody Kessler-shot-in-the-dark guess. I’m guessing the Browns inquire on Garoppolo and get rebuffed—unless they offer the 12th overall pick plus another high pick. At this stage, the Browns lead the league in high picks acquired, and it’s gotten them to the bottom of the league. Now it’s time to pay through the nose if there’s a quarterback Jackson loves. Then we come to the college guys. If Trubisky’s the guy, just take him first overall, as crazy as it sounds. But if Jackson is lukewarm on the top collegians, he likes McCarron a lot (he coached him as a Bengal rookie), and can fall back on him. He’ll just have to overpay, because Cincinnati owner Mike Brown does not want to trade him. The Browns have the 33rd, 51st and 65th picks to play with if McCarron’s their man.

That was taken from Peter King's article yesterday.  I'm not sure which, if all picks he is referring to but I think ajm's trade value is rising and the bengals aren't forced to trade him this year.  

P.s.  Mods if this belongs in the draft section please move it

If you believe the so-called matrix or "money ball" formula the Browns are claiming will be their process, it would not surprise me to see them go after a player like McCarron.  Drafting the #1 overall player as a QB guarantees a huge payout, plus the pressure of playing him right away.  If you look at a number of successful teams of late (Seattle, Cincinnati, Washington) their teams were able to sign FAs elsewhere because they weren't paying top dollar to the QB position.  As soon as Wilson got paid, it greatly impacted the rest of their roster.  

Even though the Browns have more picks than some two teams, I could see them offering to trade back and stockpile even more selections.  

I know this is pie in the sky, but what if Cleveland swapped #1s with Cincinnati, got a couple additional picks from say round 4 and round 6 (from Cincy), and got AJ McCarron?

I don't think they would value him that much, but it is nice to dream about Myles Garrett on the right side of our line...
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 10:42 AM)corpjet Wrote: I think the Browns make a trade with the Patriots for Jimmy G.

Love Fuller's speed, but he drops too many balls....
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 10:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you believe the so-called matrix or "money ball" formula the Browns are claiming will be their process, it would not surprise me to see them go after a player like McCarron.  Drafting the #1 overall player as a QB guarantees a huge payout, plus the pressure of playing him right away.  If you look at a number of successful teams of late (Seattle, Cincinnati, Washington) their teams were able to sign FAs elsewhere because they weren't paying top dollar to the QB position.  As soon as Wilson got paid, it greatly impacted the rest of their roster.  

Even though the Browns have more picks than some two teams, I could see them offering to trade back and stockpile even more selections.  

I know this is pie in the sky, but what if Cleveland swapped #1s with Cincinnati, got a couple additional picks from say round 4 and round 6 (from Cincy), and got AJ McCarron?

I don't think they would value him that much, but it is nice to dream about Myles Garrett on the right side of our line...

It should be noted too that Buffalo picks right after the Bengals and nearly all mocks have them selecting a QB. If the Browns actually have faith in any QB in the draft (whether it be Trubisky, Watson, Kizer), it makes sense for them to trade up to #9 and get their QB to ensure the Bills don't take him.

An interesting scenario would be what if the Browns would prefer McCarron but Fournette or Cook is sitting there at 9? A trade involving their #12 pick plus their early second and third might make sense. It would give the Browns their preferred QB, an elite talent at RB (which they don't have), plus whomever they selected #1 overall (likely Garrett). Another option at 9 for them could be Mike Williams, as he would pair well with Coleman. However, if the Browns re-sign Pryor, it doesn't make sense to pick up Williams.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 10:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Love Fuller's speed, but he drops too many balls....

Yea... But you can somewhat coach drops.  You can't coach speed
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 11:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It should be noted too that Buffalo picks right after the Bengals and nearly all mocks have them selecting a QB. If the Browns actually have faith in any QB in the draft (whether it be Trubisky, Watson, Kizer), it makes sense for them to trade up to #9 and get their QB to ensure the Bills don't take him.

An interesting scenario would be what if the Browns would prefer McCarron but Fournette or Cook is sitting there at 9? A trade involving their #12 pick plus their early second and third might make sense. It would give the Browns their preferred QB, an elite talent at RB (which they don't have), plus whomever they selected #1 overall (likely Garrett). Another option at 9 for them could be Mike Williams, as he would pair well with Coleman. However, if the Browns re-sign Pryor, it doesn't make sense to pick up Williams.

The Bills look like they might have to release Tyrod Taylor by march 10th or owe him something like $28 million the next two years...they might be desperate.  

If would love to be the Browns will all their picks and cap space...that team, with some good decisions could become legit overnight.  They played hard for Hue, despite jettisoning all of their high dollar talent.  Now, they have signed a good young LB (Collins), and have a ton of money to greatly improve their roster.

My dream is when putzburg goes 0-4 against the state of Ohio. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 11:12 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yea... But you can somewhat coach drops.  You can't coach speed

You can't coach small hands  Smirk
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis is still head coach.
Marvin Lewis hates playing rookies to the point where he hides outside the lockerroom and trips them as they come onto the field, just so he can IR them.
Marvin Lewis has said it's going to be hard for the upcoming 11 picks to make them team. Making it an even dozen doesn't change that.

I think most of us would cut bait with several players and happily look in the second for their replacement. Marvin won't.
Reply/Quote
It really irks me that everyone's talking up Jimmy Garoppolo like he's worth a first round pick, and that QB-needy teams like the Browns, 49ers, Bears, Jets, etc. should trade for him, when McCarron has more game experience and near-identical stats -- even better in some categories.

Garoppolo: GP-17 CMP-63 ATT-94 CMP%-67.0 YDS-690 AVG-7.34 TD-5 LNG-37 INT-0 FUM-1 RAT-106.2
McCarron: GP-7 CMP-79 ATT-119 CMP%-66.4 YDS-854 AVG-7.18 TD-6 LNG-66 INT-2 FUM-0 RAT-97.1

Garoppolo has played in more games, but mostly in garbage time with big leads. He's only started two games, winning both. McCarron also has two wins in three regular season starts. McCarron has more passing attempts, more completions, and more TDs, showing a higher usage rate. Comparable passer rating, with only one more turnover. Note that these stats (pulled from ESPN) don't include the playoff game (in which McCarron sucked ...), but the playoff experience has to count for something. And Garoppolo played for Belichick (see Matt Cassel) and was injured in his second start, which are both negatives.

Now I'm not saying either QB is worth a first rounder, but if you're considering Garoppolo you have to be looking at McCarron, too.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 11:45 AM)shanebo Wrote: It really irks me that everyone's talking up Jimmy Garoppolo like he's worth a first round pick, and that QB-needy teams like the Browns, 49ers, Bears, Jets, etc. should trade for him, when McCarron has more game experience and near-identical stats -- even better in some categories.

Garoppolo:  GP-17  CMP-63  ATT-94   CMP%-67.0  YDS-690  AVG-7.34  TD-5  LNG-37  INT-0  FUM-1  RAT-106.2
McCarron:   GP-7   CMP-79   ATT-119 CMP%-66.4  YDS-854  AVG-7.18  TD-6  LNG-66  INT-2  FUM-0  RAT-97.1

Garoppolo has played in more games, but mostly in garbage time with big leads.  He's only started two games, winning both.  McCarron also has two wins in three regular season starts.  McCarron has more passing attempts, more completions, and more TDs, showing a higher usage rate.  Comparable passer rating, with only one more turnover.  Note that these stats (pulled from ESPN) don't include the playoff game (in which McCarron sucked ...), but the playoff experience has to count for something.  And Garoppolo played for Belichick (see Matt Cassel) and was injured in his second start, which are both negatives.

Now I'm not saying either QB is worth a first rounder, but if you're considering Garoppolo you have to be looking at McCarron, too.

That is why several guys, including Bill Polian, feel that McCarron is the best trade target among the QBs.  

You can also control AJ for 2 more years on a pretty friendly deal.  That has some serious appeal.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's crazy to get a 2nd and a 3rd for him. If a team get desperate enough I could even see that going up a bit.

If we're talking Cleveland the price would get bumped up for trading him within the division.
Reply/Quote
Keep your eye on the happenings in Washington. Cousins to the Niners is a legit rumor. Gruden should trust a qb under Zamps and Hues tutelage. Close ties to the organization. May be desperate enough to give up that 17th overall pick. They are in win now mode. And the owner loves making a splash.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 10:42 AM)corpjet Wrote: I think the Browns make a trade with the Patriots for Jimmy G.

If it's me, I'm not in much of a hurry to deliver a QB to a division rival who doesn't have one.  If it's anyone but the Turds, yes, by all means.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 10:18 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If Mike Brown balks at a pick from either the 2-4th rounds then he's an idiot. If Cleveland is willing to give up a high 2nd round pick for AJ, you take that shit and never look back.

No doubt, this would be beyond stupid. He will just go somewhere else next year and we would get nothing
for him. Get something for him while you can get something for him. If Dalton goes down McCarron is not
going to save the day cause it will be cuz of O-line play most likely and AJ holds the ball too long.

He will not help us, get something for him.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 03:28 PM)McC Wrote: If it's me, I'm not in much of a hurry to deliver a QB to a division rival who doesn't have one.  If it's anyone but the Turds, yes, by all means.

So let's say we give the Browns a QB and they get better...they play 2 games against us, and 4 games against the teams we are trying to finish better than in the AFC North.  Perhaps that would benefit us more than we may initially think.
Reply/Quote

I agree with this but in regards to a possible deal with Cleveland, it would be highly unlikely that Brown would trade with anyone within the division especially when the player in question is a young, talented QB.  Just isn't going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 11:45 AM)shanebo Wrote: It really irks me that everyone's talking up Jimmy Garoppolo like he's worth a first round pick, and that QB-needy teams like the Browns, 49ers, Bears, Jets, etc. should trade for him, when McCarron has more game experience and near-identical stats -- even better in some categories.

Garoppolo:  GP-17  CMP-63  ATT-94   CMP%-67.0  YDS-690  AVG-7.34  TD-5  LNG-37  INT-0  FUM-1  RAT-106.2
McCarron:   GP-7   CMP-79   ATT-119 CMP%-66.4  YDS-854  AVG-7.18  TD-6  LNG-66  INT-2  FUM-0  RAT-97.1

Garoppolo has played in more games, but mostly in garbage time with big leads.  He's only started two games, winning both.  McCarron also has two wins in three regular season starts.  McCarron has more passing attempts, more completions, and more TDs, showing a higher usage rate.  Comparable passer rating, with only one more turnover.  Note that these stats (pulled from ESPN) don't include the playoff game (in which McCarron sucked ...), but the playoff experience has to count for something.  And Garoppolo played for Belichick (see Matt Cassel) and was injured in his second start, which are both negatives.

You missed a fumble on McCarron (Denver game). Also you need to count in his horrid playoff game performance. (3 Fumbles, 1 INT, bad completion % and such). 

We're just seeing some clickbait articles from sportswriters who have little else to do right now. We got zero offers for McCarron after last season when everyone had seen him in extended action (and saw that he has little pocket presence and his brain turns off when facing a zone). Why should that change now?
Reply/Quote