Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
McCoy to bengals?
(05-30-2019, 09:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think anyone who thinks the Bengals will be fine without McCoy is overvaluing the interior pass rushers that the Bengals have. There is no doubt that McCoy would be a huge upgrade inside when it comes to rushing the passer.

As of right now, the Bengals drafted a huge project in Wren, they have Glasgow coming back but he's more of a swing between NT and UT with better ability stuffing the run than rushing the passer, and none of the current DEs are established nickel DTs (yet). Billings is good for a true NT but he doesn't have the pass rushing chops either.

I don't disagree our DL is fine without McCoy, I am not sure they are fine with him either. I would love for us to sign him as long as it does not cost us Boyd or AJ long term. He will not be cheap so the question becomes will the money be well spent for a 31 year DT. I am good if we sign him and agree an upgrade. But< I won't lose sleep if we don't as I thought a long shot from the beginning to get him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
I think the Bengals would love to have McCoy. I don't think that McCoy would love to have the Bengals.

I doubt we can offer him enough extra money to get him to come here.

Sadly, I think you are correct.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 11:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't disagree our DL is fine without McCoy, I am not sure they are fine with him either. I would love for us to sign him as long as it does not cost us Boyd or AJ long term. He will not be cheap so the question becomes will the money be well spent for a 31 year DT. I am good if we sign him and agree an upgrade. But< I won't lose sleep if we don't as I thought a long shot from the beginning to get him.

If we really wanted/needed McCoy I'd say we should make an offer.  Saving cap room assuming Boyd won't want to cash-in elsewhere could be a Bengal-ish blunder.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 11:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If we really wanted/needed McCoy I'd say we should make an offer.  Saving cap room assuming Boyd won't want to cash-in elsewhere could be a Bengal-ish blunder.

If we want him, we need to get him here to visit. I would be shocked if we made an offer prior to him being cleared medically by our staff.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 11:36 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we want him, we need to get him here to visit. I would be shocked if we made an offer prior to him being cleared medically by our staff.

Oh, I know he isn't coming here, I"m just saying that saving money for Boyd IF we wanted to make FA moves now might blow up in our faces.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 11:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If we really wanted/needed McCoy I'd say we should make an offer.  Saving cap room assuming Boyd won't want to cash-in elsewhere could be a Bengal-ish blunder.

Here's my case for McCoy:

We have a new coach and largely new staff. We've had 3 subpar seasons and don't know if the issue was coaching or the roster. We have some good young players, but we also have stars who are around 31 years old. Some of these guys have contracts expiring in the next couple years.

This year will likely determine if we're going to start some type of rebuild or try to keep the same roster and add draft picks and compete. Adding a guy like McCoy goes 'all in'.

I wouldn't be surprised if we already made him a 1 year $11 million offer.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 10:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the Bengals would love to have McCoy. I don't think that McCoy would love to have the Bengals.

I doubt we can offer him enough extra money to get him to come here.

If we were even close on the financials, I'd think we'd have a visit lined up. That way McCoy could use the offer as leverage against other interested teams. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Ian Rapoport says McCoy left Baltimore without a deal. Will visit Carolina tomorrow before making decision. So it looks like it is between Cleveland, Baltimore, and Carolina.
Reply/Quote
We can have our cake and eat it to. All we have to do is play cap games like everybody else in the league. As we stand right now we should be able to extend Boyd and AJ and have our normal injury cushion.

People are saying we would have to choose between extending them or McCoy. We can do both. Geno has a 8 mil base salary. Dunlap has a 3 mil base salary. Do like every other NFL team when they need to make room. Convert base salary into a signing bonus. Wham bam there is a big chunk of new 2019 money to spend.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 08:32 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We can have our cake and eat it to. All we have to do is play cap games like everybody else in the league. As we stand right now we should be able to extend Boyd and AJ and have our normal injury cushion.

People are saying we would have to choose between extending them or McCoy. We can do both. Geno has a 8 mil base salary. Dunlap has a 3 mil base salary. Do like every other NFL team when they need to make room. Convert base salary into a signing bonus. Wham bam there is a big chunk of new 2019 money to spend.

Mike Brown's way of managing the cap is to resign players with the guaranteed money up front so he never enters the next season with a deficit. This works well for the Bengals bottom line every year but doesn't bode well for acquiring FA players that will cause his plans to fail. The Bengal's way will only work if they kill the draft a few years in a row. 
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 08:32 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We can have our cake and eat it to. All we have to do is play cap games like everybody else in the league. As we stand right now we should be able to extend Boyd and AJ and have our normal injury cushion.

Green already makes like $15 million a year. If we extend him at $15 million a year, that doesn't hurt us.

Boyd's extension will eat some cap room up. Like $7 million or so.

The thing with this isn't IF we can AFFORD McCoy. It's IF McCoy would sign here.

It isn't just like buying something at the store. You have to get what you're buying to want you to buy it in this case. That's where the problem is.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ian Rapoport says McCoy left Baltimore without a deal.  Will visit Carolina tomorrow before making decision.  So it looks like it is between Cleveland, Baltimore, and Carolina.

at least those are the first 3 visits.. with TC still 2 months away I doubt hes in a rush at this point in his career I don't blame him as this next stop might be his last.
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati Bengals coaches are apparently like anyone in the fan base: They think pairing Gerald McCoy with Geno Atkins would be a lot of fun.

So says a new blurb from Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com, which also suggests the coaches and management are on the same page about a visit and financials:

Thank you very much for the note from your great city. The current buzz centers around former Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, a guy the Bengals would love to team with fellow Pro Bowler Geno Atkins in the middle. From what I can gather, coaches and management think the addition of McCoy would make an already hard to block middle downright inscrutable for offenses and are both open to bringing him in to visit and get a handle on the financials.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/31/bengals-coaches-want-gerald-mccoy-visit-pair-geno-atkins/
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 12:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing with this isn't IF we can AFFORD McCoy. It's IF McCoy would sign here.

It isn't just like buying something at the store. You have to get what you're buying to want you to buy it in this case. That's where the problem is.

At this stage in his career, one of two approaches make sense.

First approach is take less and go for the ring.

The second approach is take the most guaranteed money. Incentives can be a gamble.

I think he will take the most guaranteed money. Where ever that is.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 08:41 PM)XsandOs Wrote: At this stage in his career, one of two approaches make sense.

First approach is take less and go for the ring.

The second approach is take the most guaranteed money. Incentives can be a gamble.

I think he will take the most guaranteed money. Where ever that is.

Honestly, between the Ravens, Bengals, Panthers, and Browns...none of those teams are exactly high odds SB picks.

You take less to go to like the Patriots or Rams or some team like that.

Football is a tough sport. IF he was a star player in the NBA, he could go to an above average to good team and put them over the top. Like Kawhi in the NBA.

In football, he'd make a team a little better, but it's not like he'd add 3-4 wins.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 08:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, between the Ravens, Bengals, Panthers, and Browns...none of those teams are exactly high odds SB picks.

You take less to go to like the Patriots or Rams or some team like that.

Football is a tough sport. IF he was a star player in the NBA, he could go to an above average to good team and put them over the top. Like Kawhi in the NBA.

In football, he'd make a team a little better, but it's not like he'd add 3-4 wins.

And that's the irony of it all. His camp was propagating that he wants to go to a winner.

But he was using Oklahoma Alumni in NFL to vie for him on social media (including Mixon).

And to your point, he is visiting with Teams who aren't necessarily considered as true SB contenders.

Then they were sending feeds through media about interest from 10 Teams and supposedly $11M offers.

He may get an $11M offer with a low base and incentive clauses that would be unrealistic.

So it's a matter of the intersect of ego and money. They have to meet at a point that makes sense for him. He could take less and still be the man on a Team's DL or take more and rotate.

He'll find a home.
Reply/Quote
I have to think Carolina is the top choice because it gives him two games a year to get back at the Bucs.
Reply/Quote
Carolina is nicer in the winter than Baltimore and Cleveland too. But, not a SB contender.

Carolina would have to make moves to give him $11 million a year though. I think they had $8-9 million.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 03:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Cincinnati Bengals coaches are apparently like anyone in the fan base: They think pairing Gerald McCoy with Geno Atkins would be a lot of fun.

So says a new blurb from Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com, which also suggests the coaches and management are on the same page about a visit and financials:

Thank you very much for the note from your great city. The current buzz centers around former Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, a guy the Bengals would love to team with fellow Pro Bowler Geno Atkins in the middle. From what I can gather, coaches and management think the addition of McCoy would make an already hard to block middle downright inscrutable for offenses and are both open to bringing him in to visit and get a handle on the financials.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/31/bengals-coaches-want-gerald-mccoy-visit-pair-geno-atkins/

Nice! I'm glad there's at least interest from us. Can't get too upset if the guy just has no interest in being a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2019, 11:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Carolina is nicer in the winter than Baltimore and Cleveland too. But, not a SB contender.

Carolina would have to make moves to give him $11 million a year though. I think they had $8-9 million.

None of those teams are SB contenders, including the Browns until they prove they can actually have a winning season.
Reply/Quote