Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
McCoy to bengals?
(06-03-2019, 08:33 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Meh, I thought it was kind of fun, but I guess we can go back to thread #692 complaining about how Drew Sample's a fourth round prospect at best now. 

Ok, which side of the argument do you want me to take?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Argument clinic Monty Python style I take it!
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 04:51 PM)NKURyan Wrote: 1990 Cincinnati Reds

Not sure how I forgot that. I actually watched it when I was a kid.

So 30 years for us, 3 years for Cleveland. That makes me sad.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 09:21 PM)pally Wrote: $4 million guaranteed.  If he hits all incentives $10.25 million.  He wasn't worth quite as much as he thought he was.

Just makes me wonder why we weren't involved at that price. We could've swung that pretty easily. Plus it was 1 year, right? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 09:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just makes me wonder why we weren't involved at that price. We could've swung that pretty easily. Plus it was 1 year, right? 

yeah just a year

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 09:21 PM)pally Wrote: $4 million guaranteed.  If he hits all incentives $10.25 million.  He wasn't worth quite as much as he thought he was.

I could be mistaken, but I thought I read the incentives were worth an ADDITIONAL $10.25m.  If I am correct he can make up to $14.25m.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 10:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I could be mistaken, but I thought I read the incentives were worth an ADDITIONAL $10.25m.  If I am correct he can make up to $14.25m.

It's 1 year, $8 million. 

$4 million is guaranteed. Incentives could take it to a max value of $10.25 million.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/06/ravens-offered-gerald-mccoy-8mm-guaranteed

So basically, if cut, he'd still get $4 million, but if he suits up, he'll make $8 million no matter what. If he plays well, he could reach $10.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 09:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just makes me wonder why we weren't involved at that price.

Probably because he was not interested in coming here.

It is easy for us to be positive about the Bengals new staff or at least be willing to give them a chance, but all McCoy probably sees is a sketchy defense with a bunch of new inexperienced coaches.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 09:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just makes me wonder why we weren't involved at that price. We could've swung that pretty easily. Plus it was 1 year, right? 

I feel like he just wasn't interested in us. We couldn't get him to visit.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 10:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Probably because he was not interested in coming here.

It is easy for us to be positive about the Bengals new staff or at least be willing to give them a chance, but all McCoy probably sees is a sketchy defense with a bunch of new inexperienced coaches.

Yep. They're going to have to prove it on the field this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 10:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Probably because he was not interested in coming here.

Meh. Maybe so, but the Panthers were 7-9 last year themselves. Mike not wanting to dish out for a free agent also is within the realm of possibility.

Perhaps McCoy only visited those who made serious offers. I'm sure they discuss some parameters via phone before a visit is even scheduled.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 11:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Maybe so, but the Panthers were 7-9 last year themselves. Mike not wanting to dish out for a free agent also is within the realm of possibility.

Perhaps McCoy only visited those who made serious offers. I'm sure they discuss some demands via phone before a visit is even scheduled.

If the Bengals were really serious they could have re negotiated some contracts like The Panthers did n went for him. But nope they are not
Reply/Quote
The Panthers renegotiated because they had no cap space. The Bengals did.
Reply/Quote
No complaints. Moving on. :andy:
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 11:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Maybe so, but the Panthers were 7-9 last year themselves. Mike not wanting to dish out for a free agent also is within the realm of possibility.

Perhaps McCoy only visited those who made serious offers. I'm sure they discuss some parameters via phone before a visit is even scheduled.

The Panthers were 7-9 and Cam Newton's shoulder is in some amount of doubt this year...not sure why they're a safer bet than the Browns who are at least trying to fix things or the Ravens who won their division before flopping hard.  Oh well.  I just like the idea of the Browns being good enough to beat the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 11:36 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: If the Bengals were really serious they could have re negotiated some contracts like The Panthers did n went for him. But nope they are not

Sad thing is, we didn't need to. We have plenty of cap space. We could've signed McCoy and still had $10 million in space.

(06-04-2019, 11:42 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The Panthers were 7-9 and Cam Newton's shoulder is in some amount of doubt this year...not sure why they're a safer bet than the Browns who are at least trying to fix things or the Ravens who won their division before flopping hard.  Oh well.  I just like the idea of the Browns being good enough to beat the Steelers.

If I were a free agent, I'd definitely pick the Browns, sadly. Their roster looks pretty sick, and they seem more on the upswing than the Panthers for sure. That said, I'm sure glad he at least didn't sign in our division.
Reply/Quote
Word on the streets is that McCoy didn't want to face our team twice a year...
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2019, 09:30 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Argument clinic Monty Python style I take it!

No you won't!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Once again, Bengals Rick-Rolled by the Sports media..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2019, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Once again, Bengals Rick-Rolled by the Sports media..

I think the media reports were correct.  I think the Bengals did have interest in signing McCoy.  I just don't think he was interested in coming here.
Reply/Quote