Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
McCoy to bengals?
(05-23-2019, 08:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: Ringo is 27, I am okay bringing in a pro bowler to replace a 27 year old journeyman. I am in the school of thought that while it's not a need it does allow for "waves". Realistically you can just keep running fresh bodies out and sending pressure which has been used before (Giants) to win. No one can really name a LB from those Giant's SB teams and thats because they were average and not asked to do a whole lot. 

Glasgow will also probably need a year to round back into fotm like Geno did after his injury.  McCoy would give you the luxury of not having to rush him out there.

It's not a need pickup, but it makes the team better on paper.  You have a great rotation between McCoy and Atkins and can throw them both out there on passing downs.  My main concern is his character, but apparently Duffner has vouched for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 09:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Never been a big fan of McCoy, he has an attitude problem.

It would be an interesting add, but why not spend the money (earlier in free agency) in a place of need? Guess the talent isn't out there.

You must be thinking of Suh, McCoy is a high character locker room leader and fan favorite.
His stats are very similar to Suh, he just doesn't have the reputation that Suh has.

Anyways, He doesn't fit into their move to a 3/4, but he's a solid 4/3 guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 08:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: NFL radio this morning has him likely going to Cleveland. Evidently they have zero depth on their D line after their starters....

Then we need to be proactive to build a stronger DL and leave theirs weak.  Some may say they want a LB instead but good luck.  

If there is any hope to sign McCoy he gives us two of the best 3 techs in the league short term.  They can be rotated to keep fresh and play together as one of the few upsides out LB have is run support.  We may not have backers that have developed into adequate coverage threats but until then giving the QB a fraction less of time is a win. 
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:46 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Come on Shake. Really? Suh was switched to Zero in LA. Donald was the three.

Geno is the 3 tech guy here. McCoy will anchor? In AFC North?

It's like signing Julio Jones when AJ is already here.

(05-23-2019, 01:58 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Yea I hear ya, having two elite WRs in your offense would be horrible.

Yea terrible problem to have.
McCoy can also play DE. So he can be on the field a lot more than you think.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 08:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: Ringo is 27, I am okay bringing in a pro bowler to replace a 27 year old journeyman. I am in the school of thought that while it's not a need it does allow for "waves". Realistically you can just keep running fresh bodies out and sending pressure which has been used before (Giants) to win. No one can really name a LB from those Giant's SB teams and thats because they were average and not asked to do a whole lot. 

Heck, I don't think people can name anyone that wasn't on the DL on that SB winning defense.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 10:15 PM)NKURyan Wrote: There's like 2-3 posts in this thread that are the slightest bit negative about the potential signing, but sure, let's pretend it's everybody so we can act like we're better than everyone else. FUN!

As fun as pretending I was talking about everyone?  Rolleyes

(05-22-2019, 11:35 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: I would rather see a free agent LB signed

I wouldn't. McCoy is far better than any FA LB available and it also fits a need seeing how our line ranked 30th in pressures last year.

(05-23-2019, 12:46 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Come on Shake. Really? Suh was switched to Zero in LA. Donald was the three.

Geno is the 3 tech guy here. McCoy will anchor? In AFC North?

It's like signing Julio Jones when AJ is already here.

Don't "come on Shake" me dude.  Mellow

McCoy played 48 snaps as a nose tackle last season, on top of 166 snaps as an End. He's versatile on top of being highly skilled.

There's a spot for that on any line, particularly one that struggled last season.

(05-23-2019, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, and signing an aging McCoy means one of those young up and comers has to be cut, which would probably be Ringo.

Why are we saying he's "aging"? He didn't show any signs of slowing down last year at all. He's 31, but so is Geno Atkins. Should we start referring to Atkins as aging as well? As for Ringo..bye. He was the worst Beetle anyway. Seriously, this is like choosing a practice squad player over Geno Atkins.

(05-23-2019, 11:20 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You must be thinking of Suh, McCoy is a high character locker room leader and fan favorite.
His stats are very similar to Suh, he just doesn't have the reputation that Suh has.

Anyways, He doesn't fit into their move to a 3/4, but he's a solid 4/3 guy.

The switch to 3-4 surely played into it, but the Bucs were also so close to the cap that they literally couldn't afford to sign their draft picks. Switching from McCoy to Suh actually cleared up just enough room for them.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 08:51 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: If the Browns get him, we're in trouble.  It would be nice if he lands here, but thanks to MB, we can't have nice things here.

Believe Myles said they didn't need him, or something to that affect. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Well, if he's already stated he wants to be with a contender unless he views the Bengals as that this year he ain't coming to play in stripes.. Unless Lou has some embarrassing photos of Mikey in bed with a 12 year old all bets are off..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:38 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well, if he's already stated he wants to be with a contender unless he views the Bengals as that this year he ain't coming to play in stripes.. Unless Lou has some embarrassing photos of Mikey in bed with a 12 year old all bets are off..

depends if taylor is  a good salesmen...

Where the rams considered contenders before last season?
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:38 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well, if he's already stated he wants to be with a contender unless he views the Bengals as that this year he ain't coming to play in stripes.. Unless Lou has some embarrassing photos of Mikey in bed with a 12 year old all bets are off..

So why the interest in the Browns they went 1-31 a few years ago  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:40 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: So why the interest in the Browns they went 1-31 a few years ago  Ninja

they didn't finish last for the first time in 10 years so they are SB contenders now don't ya know.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, and signing an aging McCoy means one of those young up and comers has to be cut, which would probably be Ringo.

It would still be worth it
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'd be thrilled with this signing. You can never have enough good players in the trenches. Dude had a less than desirable year and gets cut. I bet he plays with something to prove for his next pay-day. Sign this man up.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they didn't finish last for the first time in 10 years so they are SB contenders now don't ya know.

I think they're a good team but I'm not sure they have the PO experience to be a true contender yet. But I'd say *they're definitely a playoff team

*on paper
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't. McCoy is far better than any FA LB available and it also fits a need seeing how our line ranked 30th in pressures last year.

The switch to 3-4 surely played into it, but the Bucs were also so close to the cap that they literally couldn't afford to sign their draft picks. Switching from McCoy to Suh actually cleared up just enough room for them.

Yes he is, I don't see any Pro-Bowl FA LB's out there or did I miss them??

Yea I know about their cap issues, but that's their own fault, and they didn't address it in the draft either.
Reply/Quote
Well if we are interested it might mean Glasgow will not be ready to go early this year. So, all for it the more i think about it. Get McCoy, extend Boyd, pay AJ after this season and we are all good. McCoy can play End too so he is not only penciled in as Geno's backup or anything, he has history with Duffner, players are liking Eason, Taylor has players excited.

Might be another statement similar to the Jonah and Sample picks, the trenches is where you win games.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they didn't finish last for the first time in 10 years so they are SB contenders now don't ya know.

Exactly, only Zach Taylor is allowed to make players optimistic.
Reply/Quote

Yep. The browns clearly won the offseason, good for them.

Kinda like how the bengals won the offseason in 2010 Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 12:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As fun as pretending I was talking about everyone?  Rolleyes
Did I quote you? Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 01:25 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep. The browns clearly won the offseason, good for them.

Kinda like how the bengals won the offseason in 2010 Ninja

And our mantra hasn't changed since then.  We got better in the off-season, the Steelers are due for a setback, the Browns are always bad, and we own the Ravens.
Reply/Quote