Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Michael Jordan is Working Out With Willie Anderson
(06-16-2021, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As Nicomo said, Whit was 36 when we let him go and yes we will have to learn from that mistake.

It was pretty blatant when Whit went to the Rams and was All Pro. We will see if they learned from that...

I think they will if Reiff plays well.

I am so happy for Whitt because he got to experience what successs is in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl.  

If you wouldd've asked me should we sign Whit in 2016 i would've said yes every day. 

You don't let a leader walk.  There hasnt been a leader in that club house since he left.  

Thank goodness it looks like there might be 2 emerging in Burrow and Bates. 

I mean it only took 6 years to find replacement leadership.  
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 03:27 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I am so happy for Whitt because he got to experience what successs is in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl.  

If you wouldd've asked me should we sign Whit in 2016 i would've said yes every day. 

You don't let a leader walk.  There hasnt been a leader in that club house since he left.  

1. He didn't win the SB
2. You're speaking from hindsight.

He is my favourite football player ever and I am arguably (probably?) his biggest fan on these boards, if there are no family present; at the time, on paper and with the teams' sitch at the time, you CANNOT shit on that move.

- You had 1 (2, actually) potential replacements that you needed to evaluate
- The guy was 36; OTs don't last as long.

Roaf: 35
Ogden: 33
Pace: 34
Willie: 33
Walter Jones: 34
McKinnie: 34
Webb: 35
Flozell Adams: 35

I can go on and on; even some of those HoFers above, didn't have great final seasons. Whitworth does seem to be the new crop of OTs that is playing well in advanced age (him, Peters, Duane Brown), but when the above precedent has been set, you can only say that's a bad move in hindsight.

Bengals took a gamble and they shit their pants; doesn't mean the gamble was bad from the outset (and that's a fact).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 03:27 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I am so happy for Whitt because he got to experience what successs is in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl.  

When did Whit win a SB?
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 04:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. He didn't win the SB
2. You're speaking from hindsight.

He is my favourite football player ever and I am arguably (probably?) his biggest fan on these boards, if there are no family present; at the time, on paper and with the teams' sitch at the time, you CANNOT shit on that move.

- You had 1 (2, actually) potential replacements that you needed to evaluate
- The guy was 36; OTs don't last as long.

Roaf: 35
Ogden: 33
Pace: 34
Willie: 33
Walter Jones: 34
McKinnie: 34
Webb: 35
Flozell Adams: 35

I can go on and on; even some of those HoFers above, didn't have great final seasons. Whitworth does seem to be the new crop of OTs that is playing well in advanced age (him, Peters, Duane Brown), but when the above precedent has been set, you can only say that's a bad move in hindsight.

Bengals took a gamble and they shit their pants; doesn't mean the gamble was bad from the outset (and that's a fact).

so those other OT that you listed all 33-35 yo.  My question then is why in the hell would the Bengals even entertain signing a 34 yo RT for 10+M a year if Reiff has a good year this year?  

Did i know that Whit was going to have an All Pro career after he left the Bengals?  No, but it doesnt shock me because all i have to say is Bengals!

Everyone is already saying if Reiff has a good year we'll just sign him in the off season to a multi year contract.  He's only going to be 34 yo and he's been healthy..blah blah blah.  

I agree with you I'd never sign an OL at that age and multi year and for 10M a year.  
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 04:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: When did Whit win a SB?

I apologize Whit played in a Super Bowl. I apologize fo rmispeaking. 

However it's not something he had ever done in Cincinnati, and nothing I've seen in Cincinnati since 1989.  
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 03:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sorry. When i said "71 guys", that only included Center, Guard and Tackle. Not all were eligible to be drafted though, that's where the second number comes in. Guys that i recognized as being drafted. 

Yes, speed rushers were one of the things that was pointed out, but i was referencing where you said it was his only problem. 

I too think he's going to play better at guard, and help the Bengals, more than he would have at tackle. 

ThumbsUp Its all good then.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 03:27 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I am so happy for Whitt because he got to experience what successs is in the NFL, a Super Bowl appearance.

Fixed it for yah, yeah, Whit got to play in a Superbowl and was I extremely happy for him.

I was actually surprised he didn't fall off more. He is a rare OL, as he keeps his body in outstanding shape.

But yeah, I was all for keeping him around at the time and looking back was a huge mistake we didn't keep him.

Reiff is a couple years younger than Whit was when we let him go so we could offer him a 2 year deal after this year is up.

Hope we do if he plays well which I expect.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 04:32 PM)TJ528 Wrote: so those other OT that you listed all 33-35 yo.  My question then is why in the hell would the Bengals even entertain signing a 34 yo RT for 10+M a year if Reiff has a good year this year?  

Did i know that Whit was going to have an All Pro career after he left the Bengals?  No, but it doesnt shock me because all i have to say is Bengals!

Everyone is already saying if Reiff has a good year we'll just sign him in the off season to a multi year contract.  He's only going to be 34 yo and he's been healthy..blah blah blah.  

I agree with you I'd never sign an OL at that age and multi year and for 10M a year.  

He's 32.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote