Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Michael Jordan is Working Out With Willie Anderson
OSU homers blaming coaching for his terrible play. Hilarious

Now I’m not saying that can’t not be the case, but the fact that people jumped to that conclusion so quickly shows that some people here are more emotional than logical
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 02:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: OSU homers blaming coaching for his terrible play. Hilarious

Now I’m not saying that can’t not be the case, but the fact that people jumped to that conclusion so quickly shows that some people here are more emotional than logical

He's just not a little bad either lol... Dude is by far the worst ranked guard in the league... That's not just coaching if at all ... Can't get blood from a rock...
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2021, 10:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So it is ok to disparage another person trying, yet when the table gets turn on us, it's offensive? Got it.

Ah, so you're a 'lets see how you like it/teach them a lesson' kind of guy. 

BS. There's a word for what that was. Hang on, let me see if i can think of it. 

(03-06-2021, 11:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh please. According to Sandwedge we shouldn’t be shitting on a player who’s actively trying to improve, yet nearly everyone here did just that even after Ross went and worked out with TJ in the offseason. It’s hypocritical no matter how you want to slice it.

Yup. Found it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 01:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, what exactly about his game needs to be improved? 

What’s wrong with Mike Jordan? I’ll tackle that if I may. For me, the one thing that stands out above all else is he plays too high too much of the time. Especially in his pass sets. In the NFL, lose the leverage game and a bunch of bad things happen. Bull runs, double-moves, twists, stunts, cross-face rips, he is susceptible to all those things. If you’re not a natural knee-bender it’s not just an easy fix as one would think. What’s that old Tyson quote? Plans are great until to get punched in the mouth.

Also, he just doesn’t seem to process the game quickly enough. I don’t know if it physical or mental or a combo of both, but that aspect clearly holds him back from achieving his upside.

Plus his hands are not necessarily a strength. There’re not exactly a weakness either but when you have other shortcomings, hands can be a savior, he gets none of that.

Really LG is a poor fit for him. He doesn’t do long traps or long pulls well at all. RG would be a better fit. And I have problems envisioning him getting on with a wide zone. The best he played as a Bengal was 2nd half 2019 when the team opted to a gap/power scheme which fits his skill set better.

Lastly, he doesn’t seem to enjoy football in general and o-line play specifically. You really want your IOL to LOVE to hit people and I don’t see that part of his game. Maybe it’s a confidence thing , but too often he looks like he is going through to motions.

I think he is going to have a chore winning a roster spot. We bring in 3 FA/rookies while losing Finney, hopefully Hart and maybe Spain too. That said, he still has untapped upside but it might not happen here.

As for Jonah only being “average”, that is a win for the team. He has missed almost two full training camps and 22 of 32 games.

The Bengals O-line has been through injuries, 3 (or 4) coaching changes, scheme changes and personnel changes up the ying-yang in the last several years. By far and away, continuity is a principle most beneficial to this position group. They have none of that.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 04:33 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: What’s wrong with Mike Jordan?  I’ll tackle that if I may. For me, the one thing that stands out above all else is he plays too high too much of the time. Especially in his pass sets.  In the NFL, lose the leverage game and a bunch of bad things happen. Bull runs, double-moves, twists, stunts, cross-face rips, he is susceptible to all those things.  If you’re not a natural knee-bender it’s not just an easy fix as one would think. What’s that old Tyson quote?  Plans are great until to get punched in the mouth.

Also, he just doesn’t seem to process the game quickly enough.  I don’t know if it physical or mental or a combo of both, but that aspect clearly holds him back from achieving his upside.

Plus his hands are not necessarily a strength. There’re not exactly a weakness either but when you have other shortcomings, hands can be a savior, he gets none of that.

Really LG is a poor fit for him.  He doesn’t do long traps or long pulls well at all.  RG would be a better fit.  And I have problems envisioning him getting on with a wide zone.  The best he played as a Bengal was 2nd half 2019 when the team opted to a gap/power scheme which fits his skill set better.

Lastly, he doesn’t seem to enjoy football in general and o-line play specifically.  You really want your IOL to LOVE to hit people and I don’t see that part of his game.  Maybe it’s a confidence thing , but too often he looks like he is going through to motions.

I think he is going to have a chore winning a roster spot. We bring in 3 FA/rookies while losing Finney, hopefully Hart and maybe Spain too.  That said, he still has untapped upside but it might not happen here.

As for Jonah only being “average”, that is a win for the team.  He has missed almost two full training camps and 22 of 32 games.

The Bengals O-line has been through injuries, 3 (or 4) coaching changes, scheme changes and personnel changes up the ying-yang in the last several years.  By far and away, continuity is a principle most beneficial to this position group.  They have none of that.

I agree with your synapsis. 

Hopefully with Pollack coaching these guys up and a full Offseason this O-line can start getting some chemistry. Need to add a
few pieces, a couple FA's and a Draft pick or 2 and it might start to come around. But MJ is just not a starter with how high he 
plays as you note. The lower man wins.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 04:33 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: What’s wrong with Mike Jordan?  I’ll tackle that if I may. For me, the one thing that stands out above all else is he plays too high too much of the time. Especially in his pass sets.  In the NFL, lose the leverage game and a bunch of bad things happen. Bull runs, double-moves, twists, stunts, cross-face rips, he is susceptible to all those things.  If you’re not a natural knee-bender it’s not just an easy fix as one would think. What’s that old Tyson quote?  Plans are great until to get punched in the mouth.

Also, he just doesn’t seem to process the game quickly enough.  I don’t know if it physical or mental or a combo of both, but that aspect clearly holds him back from achieving his upside.

Really LG is a poor fit for him.  He doesn’t do long traps or long pulls well at all.  RG would be a better fit.  And I have problems envisioning him getting on with a wide zone.  The best he played as a Bengal was 2nd half 2019 when the team opted to a gap/power scheme which fits his skill set better.

Lastly, he doesn’t seem to enjoy football in general and o-line play specifically.  You really want your IOL to LOVE to hit people and I don’t see that part of his game.  Maybe it’s a confidence thing , but too often he looks like he is going through to motions.

Thanks for the sincere and detailed breakdown.  It's interesting to me that you don't see him as LG material.  When I go back and watch his college film of him playing LG, he moves quite well in pulling, engaging in doubles and releasing and flowing to the open rusher.  I do agree with you about him playing too high.  He needs to remember to keep those knees flexed.

That is why I call the Bengals coaching into question.  I've seen the guy do specific things on film in college, and now as a pro he suddenly is incapable of doing what he's done all of his life?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 02:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ah, so you're a 'lets see how you like it/teach them a lesson' kind of guy. 

BS. There's a word for what that was. Hang on, let me see if i can think of it. 

Yup. Found it.

Don't think I was teaching anything, just pointing something out. Sorry it got your panties in a bunch...
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 10:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Don't think I was teaching anything, just pointing something out. Sorry it got your panties in a bunch...

It's ok. No one's panties are in a bunch. It's as simple as, if you don't like fans calling players names, don't turn around and call fans names. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 10:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wedge is no troll, just quit this stuff people. Man, people must of had a bad day lol

There's no such thing as "must of", asshole!!! It's "must have" OR "must've" which is a contraction of MUST HAVE!!!!11!1!!!!!!

Ninja

Wink

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 10:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There's no such thing as "must of", asshole!!! It's "must have" OR "must've" which is a contraction of MUST HAVE!!!!11!1!!!!!!

Ninja

Wink

I STILL SAY IT LIKE THAT!!!RantSmack
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 10:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wedge is no troll, just quit this stuff people. Man, people must of had a bad day lol

If you go back and read his comments crapping on members who have a different opinion on him and follow his subsequent posts, he is trolling. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 12:38 AM)PDub80 Wrote: If you go back and read his comments crapping on members who have a different opinion on him and follow his subsequent posts, he is trolling. 

He just gets PO'ed by certain members is all lol

I guess you and I have a different definition of trolling....
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 05:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for the sincere and detailed breakdown.  It's interesting to me that you don't see him as LG material.  When I go back and watch his college film of him playing LG, he moves quite well in pulling, engaging in doubles and releasing and flowing to the open rusher.  I do agree with you about him playing too high.  He needs to remember to keep those knees flexed.

That is why I call the Bengals coaching into question.  I've seen the guy do specific things on film in college, and now as a pro he suddenly is incapable of doing what he's done all of his life?

He's still a kid. He's had a couple of years to get his feet wet now. If he is indeed working with Big W, then he may finally taking his career choice seriously? He certainly has the ability to be very good.

I remember a young online prospect that was here once. He was young and inexperienced. People around here just sort of gave up on him. He moved on to Philly where he soon became a very good offensive lineman. His is name?...,.......Evan Mathis.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 03:43 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He's still a kid. He's had a couple of years to get his feet wet now. If he is indeed working with Big W, then he may finally taking his career choice seriously? He certainly has the ability to be very good.

I remember a young online prospect that was here once. He was young and inexperienced. People around here just sort of gave up on him. He moved on to Philly where he soon became a very good offensive lineman. His is name?...,.......Evan Mathis.

But according to Fred, Mathis was trash cause PA didn't start him over Livings. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 03:43 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I remember a young online prospect that was here once. He was young and inexperienced. People around here just sort of gave up on him. He moved on to Philly where he soon became a very good offensive lineman. His is name?...,.......Evan Mathis.

Evan Mathis?!? The Bengals were his third NFL team and signed the ‘youngster’ at age 27. It wasn’t until his age 30 season (under legendary O-Line guru Howard Mudd) that he achieved success as a starter. He wasn’t named to his first pro bowl until he was 32. Not a useful comparison to Jordan.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 05:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: But according to Fred, Mathis was trash cause PA didn't start him over Livings. Ninja

PA did start Mathis over Livings in 2009 when he deserved to.

Mathis was trash in 2010, and it was not just PA who thought so.  That is why Evan had to settle for a league minimum contract to be a back up for the Eagles.
Reply/Quote
Really good piece by Paul Dehner Jr for The Athletic about Michael Jordan here:

https://theathletic.com/2642752/2021/06/10/i-took-it-really-personal-bengals-guard-michael-jordan-motivated-to-move-past-his-darkest-moment/?source=user_shared_article

I absolutely DO NOT want to see him playing this season (for obvious reasons), but I’m not quite giving up on this kid yet. He seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, and he’s clearly putting in the work to get better. It will be interesting to see if Pollack can do anything with him. Maybe there’s still hope for him at OG once Spain and XSF are gone. Or at the very least as a decent backup you wouldn’t have to hold your breath over if he comes into a game. Anyway, it’s a good read if you have The Athletic (and if you don’t, you should).

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 07:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Weird, he told me that he wanted me to remind you that most OL who start out awful finish awful, and that a down year means you had height to begin with, not just 2 terrible years. (He also said that Franchise QBs don't grow on trees, so you shouldn't waste them by letting them get murdered behind terrible offensive linemen on the hope that third time is a charm and they won't continue to just be terrible.)

This is straight Shakespeare. Anyone who try’s to argue this just wants to hear themselves talk
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2021, 05:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: But according to Fred, Mathis was trash cause PA didn't start him over Livings. Ninja

According to Fred we also have a top 5 defensive tackle unit too lol his posts are a lot like mine where u just shake ur head and move on
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 12:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who cares what he did in college? Plenty of players have been good in college but not in the pros. Blame it on coaching if you want, but Jonah Williams had no problem overcoming Jim Turner. Because he’s actually...you know...good.

can you really say Jonah overcame coaching? I mean the kid played in 10 games of 32 that Turner coached him in.  We'll see if he can stay healthier under Pollack and actually stay on the field.  
Reply/Quote