Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(03-10-2023, 12:13 PM)Synric Wrote: Players produce when they play he has 27 games as a college player. His height and length make him more intriguing as a receiver but because of his size he might be forced inside in a 12 heavy personnel play action offense. His size makes it hard for him to snap off quick breaking routes he will run a ton of in a 11 personnel heavy spread. 

I was a Jelani Woods fan last year same type of player but I was also thinking heavy wide zone where a big move blocking TE would be a major weapon... in the offense we seen last year I would lean heavier toward Mayer Kincaid Musgrave and LaPorta... Kraft is interesting because I still havent seen him drop his hips.

Edit: This reminds me of the Faalele argument I had with people last year. Measurements are only part of the info you get on these guys and tape is the most important peice. Michael Mayer has the best tape of any TE in this draft class and up there with any player in the draft class.

Yeah, in the end the tape is where you should judge players, not the Combine or on talent. Mayer is the most sure thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 11:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, just imagine what Washington's stats could have been, had he not had to share the role with a phenom like Brock Bowers?  Washington's low number of receptions isn't due to a lack of talent on his part, just not enough balls to go around is more like it.

Exactly.  The fact that he got as much playing time as he has when Bowers is opposite him and, just since 2019, Georgia has recruited 1 5 star Wr, and 7x 4 stars speaks to his importance in that offense.  He may not get a ton of balls thrown his way but the man can CATCH!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 04:38 PM)Burma Wrote: Exactly.  The fact that he got as much playing time as he has when Bowers is opposite him and, just since 2019, Georgia has recruited 1 5 star Wr, and 7x 4 stars speaks to his importance in that offense.  He may not get a ton of balls thrown his way but the man can CATCH!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That 11" hand spread on full display.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I’d love any one of the 3 best TEs at 28

Something about Darnell does it for me. Day 1 he’d come in the league one of the best blocking TEs and he has the wiggle and speed to a great receiver.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 04:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That 11" hand spread on full display.

Yes, that is what I am talkin' about...

Still for him even if Synric is correct about Mayer being the best by far on tape in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 03:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, that is what I am talkin' about...

Still for him even if Synric is correct about Mayer being the best by far on tape in this draft.

I don't know that there is room for Mayer to grow in the NFL, he may very well have been utilized to the maximum of his abilities in college.  Factoring that in, along with the talent he'll be facing getting tougher, it creates a level of expectations that a player sometimes is unable to live up to in the Pros.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 04:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know that there is room for Mayer to grow in the NFL, he may very well have been utilized to the maximum of his abilities in college.  Factoring that in, along with the talent he'll be facing getting tougher, it creates a level of expectations that a player sometimes is unable to live up to in the Pros.

I do not want to discredit the abilities of Mayer as he is a very, very solid player and a safe selection. However, since this debated started I have watched all of the tape that I can find and I am sorry but it is not overwhelming. When I watch his tape there is nothing that jumps off the screen to me and screams you have to take this guy in the first round. The USC tape was about the most outstanding I could find and it was a great game. 

Outside of the USC game his best tape for '22 would have been against BYU who is by no means a defensive juggernaut. However, you look at the Ohio State tape and he really he was pedestrian against them. Again, he is a very solid player but I agree you with you here Sunset that we may well have seen his peak and what you see is what you are going to get from here out.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 04:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know that there is room for Mayer to grow in the NFL, he may very well have been utilized to the maximum of his abilities in college.  Factoring that in, along with the talent he'll be facing getting tougher, it creates a level of expectations that a player sometimes is unable to live up to in the Pros.

Well, that would be the reason to pass on Mayer for sure. Darnell Washington's upside is huge compared to Mayer in this aspect.

Still wanting the other Darnell for RT but I can understand others wanting the TE too. That catch tells you why and him being on the
same team as maybe the next best TE to come out makes it all make sense as to why Washington wasn't much of a target at Georgia.

(03-11-2023, 04:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I do not want to discredit the abilities of Mayer as he is a very, very solid player and a safe selection. However, since this debated started I have watched all of the tape that I can find and I am sorry but it is not overwhelming. When I watch his tape there is nothing that jumps off the screen to me and screams you have to take this guy in the first round. The USC tape was about the most outstanding I could find and it was a great game. 

Outside of the USC game his best tape for '22 would have been against BYU who is by no means a defensive juggernaut. However, you look at the Ohio State tape and he really he was pedestrian against them. Again, he is a very solid player but I agree you with you here Sunset that we may well have seen his peak and what you see is what you are going to get from here out.

What you did see was a lot of production, TD and yardage wise. Cannot discredit that.

And we could use that at TE, still want the RT of course and Hurst back but I have warmed on taking a TE early if we add a RT in FA 
like Eluemunor. We also need to add to the Defense and grab a Corner like our guy DJ Turner early.
Reply/Quote
Kuntz from ODU isn't getting enough buzz - I see him as the third best TE behind Mayer and Washington. Haven't watched tape on Kincaid but it sounds like a deep class for TE this year. Kuntz graded highest per RAS.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 10:52 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I could not have stated it better. The Bengals need a TE that will make defenses pay when they give 
Chase and Higgins double coverage 
At 6'7 JB can throw it where only Washington 
Can grab it. Washington can be a real difference maker on those 3rd and whatever situations 

The Bengals haven't had a true difference maker 
At TE since who...Dan Ross?

Tyler Eifert
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:38 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Kuntz from ODU isn't getting enough buzz - I see him as the third best TE behind Mayer and Washington. Haven't watched tape on Kincaid but it sounds like a deep class for TE this year. Kuntz graded highest per RAS.

I remember seeing Alex Leatherwood’s RAS and thinking being a starter at bama with an unreal RAS he had to be a safe option. But boy was I wrong.

Kuntz is interesting. There is a lot of big athletic TEs. Double dipping and reloading would be nice.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Tyler Eifert

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 04:30 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I remember seeing Alex Leatherwood’s RAS and thinking being a starter at bama with an unreal RAS he had to be a safe option. But boy was I wrong.

Kuntz is interesting. There is a lot of big athletic TEs. Double dipping and reloading would be nice.

Yeah, cannot put a ton into RAS. Tons of these athletic freaks just wash out in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Well TE moving of need list for Bengals with Hurst gone
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well TE moving of need list for Bengals with Hurst gone

Yep and Mayer looks to be falling to in the rankings, so let's hope he falls all the way to us.

People might say "he's falling, why do you want him?" but he's still a steal at 28.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:44 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yep and Mayer looks to be falling to in the rankings, so let's hope he falls all the way to us.

People might say "he's falling, why do you want him?" but he's still a steal at 28.

Washington is a steal at #28. Mayer is a safe pick at 35 or 40.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 07:16 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Washington is a steal at #28. Mayer is a safe pick at 35 or 40.

This!!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 07:16 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Washington is a steal at #28. Mayer is a safe pick at 35 or 40.

Would be great to trade down and grab Mayer, would be all for it now with us getting Orlando Brown and it looking like Darnell 
Wright will be picked ahead of us. Still would like one of the Darnell's at 28 though, have to agree with Sunset that we might of 
seen all that Mayer can do and Washington has crazy upside and might be the best blocking TE to ever come out.
Reply/Quote
Darnell > Mayer > Kincaid imho. Really want a TE that can block decent at least. Just wondering about Georgia athletes. The last 2 Georgia draft classes are stacked with talent and red flags galore. Hope Darnell is more like AJ and Geno.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:54 PM)Yogo Wrote: Darnell > Mayer > Kincaid imho.  Really want a TE that can block decent at least.  Just wondering about Georgia athletes.  The last 2 Georgia draft classes are stacked with talent and red flags galore.  Hope Darnell is more like AJ and Geno.

Agree on your ranking of Darnell ahead of Mayer and Kincaid. Also don't see athleticism being a problem for Darnell, that guy is a 
specimen. If we want a blocking TE later in the Draft, Payne Durham or Brenton Strange are a couple really good ones and they are
decent Receivers to boot.
Reply/Quote