Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michigan dentist sued for music choices
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/01/16/michigan-dentist-sued-for-forcing-her-beliefs-on-employees-by-playing-christian-music-in-the-office/

I can't even tell christian music most of the time so I have no idea what the deal is here. These days it's hard to tell.
from the article (and common sense) it sounds more like it was the forced prayer meetings.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-17-2016, 12:12 AM)Benton Wrote: from the article (and common sense) it sounds more like it was the forced prayer meetings.

Is that a morning prayer? If so its not a big deal.

You can't force someone to pray or acknowledge God. But if you have a morning meeting started with a prayer that's reasonable, especially since you can just stand there.
(01-17-2016, 12:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Is that a morning prayer?   If so its not a big deal.  

You can't force someone to pray or acknowledge God.    But if you have a morning meeting started with a prayer that's reasonable, especially since you can just stand there.

If they want to pray, they can do it by themselves on their own time.  No need to do it during a meeting.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
(01-17-2016, 12:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Is that a morning prayer?   If so its not a big deal.  

Nah, not at all.  except the fact that you are violating your employees rights by forcing them to participate in it.  I'm sure you'd have the same reaction if the dentist was muslim and broke out prayer mats for everyone before the morning meeting.
The complaint also claims that Kordus preferred to keep her Christian music on at all times in order to “ward off demons.”

As someone who has had multiple root canals, I must say that you do not want a demon attack during that procedure.
(01-17-2016, 02:39 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The complaint also claims that Kordus preferred to keep her Christian music on at all times in order to “ward off demons.”

As someone who has had multiple root canals, I must say that you do not want a demon attack during that procedure.

No I didn't "botch" your root canal, there was a demon attack in the middle of it and if it wasn't for me you'd still need a root canal AND be possessed by a demon!
The rules were set, the employee broke the rules and disciplinary action was taken.

If I were to go into my place of employment and turn the radio station from WEBN to a station that plays Christian music and the owner of the business writes me up or whatever, then I can sue that company for forcing their beliefs on me?

No, I have to follow the owners rules or find another job.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(01-17-2016, 02:44 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No I didn't "botch" your root canal, there was a demon attack in the middle of it and if it wasn't for me you'd still need a root canal AND be possessed by a demon!

Would that fall under "act of god" or is that a NON-act of god?

For insurance purposes....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
You guys know I am pretty liberal about this sort of stuff, but unless there is a lot more to the story I don't think playing Christian music violates the rights of employees.  

However, there is usually a long list of allegations in these type of cases.  Everything from "I was given different work duties or passed over for a promotion after I complained" to "They looked at me funny".  But I don't think just playing Christian music alone discriminates against employees.
(01-17-2016, 02:44 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The rules were set, the employee broke the rules and disciplinary action was taken.

If I were to go into my place of employment and turn the radio station from WEBN to a station that plays Christian music and the owner of the business writes me up or whatever, then I can sue that company for forcing their beliefs on me?

No, I have to follow the owners rules or find another job.

You reached the correct conclusion, but your logic is flawed.  It would not have mattered that "the rules were set" if the rules discriminated against employees based on religious beliefs.  We have laws against that in this country.
(01-17-2016, 06:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys know I am pretty liberal about this sort of stuff, but unless there is a lot more to the story I don't think playing Christian music violates the rights of employees.  

However, there is usually a long list of allegations in these type of cases.  Everything from "I was given different work duties or passed over for a promotion after I complained" to "They looked at me funny".  But I don't think just playing Christian music alone discriminates against employees.
agreed. If it's just the music, I would side with the dentist. But if you're having mandatory prayer meetings, that's violating their rights.
Gold diggers, opportunists, whatever you want to call them.

damages for loss of past and future income and employment benefits, outrage, humiliation, embarrassment, mental anxiety, emotional distress, and loss of professional reputation,” according to David Kotzian, the lawyer representing the former employees. 

Really ? All that because religious music was being played? Frivolous.

No one should be forced religion down their throats agree. If the doctor chooses to open meetings with prayer fine, but employees should not be required to participate...

Were these employees not notified at the time of their hiring that religious music would be played...and if they do not like it they need not apply?
I was at work the other day and my boss played George Micheal. I think he's trying to push his giving blow jobs in a public bathroom views on me.

I feel emotionally raped.......

What the hell have we become?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-18-2016, 02:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I was at work the other day and my boss played George Micheal. I think he's trying to push his giving blow jobs in a public bathroom views on me.

Does George Michael's music advocate giving blow jobs in a public bathroom?  Oh, I get it, you're equating the singer's real life actions to his music.  This is why Johnny Cash spent his life in prison for killing a man so he could watch him die.
(01-18-2016, 04:00 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Does George Michael's music advocate giving blow jobs in a public bathroom?  Oh, I get it, you're equating the singer's real life actions to his music.  

Sure I am. Do you think I have a lawsuit? I know what he did and when I listen to his music I feel emotionally raped.

(01-18-2016, 04:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure I am. Do you think I have a lawsuit?

I'm going to go with no.

Quote:I know what he did and when I listen to his music I feel emotionally raped.

It's unfortunate for you the framers did not establish a separation between state and public restroom blow jobs.  I do get what you're saying though.  Maybe we could just ban religion entirely because of pedophile priests because, you know, emotionally raped?
(01-18-2016, 04:07 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm going to go with no.

As I go with the folks in the OP.

Not really sure what you were saying on the rest, but I'm sure you thought you had a point. 

(01-18-2016, 04:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I go with the folks in the OP.

I'm pretty sure everyone, myself included, has cited the music as a non-issue on it's own.  It's the mandatory payer meetings that seem to trouble us.  Why are you ignoring that?

Quote:Not really sure what you were saying on the rest, but I'm sure you thought you had a point. 

I understand, my four year old nephew struggles with reading as well.
(01-18-2016, 02:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I was at work the other day and my boss played George Micheal. I think he's trying to push his giving blow jobs in a public bathroom views on me.

But that's not the same thing. I would venture to say most celebs/musicians have skeletons in their closet. Many of us do as well.

What if he was playing Tchaikovsky who supposedly was gay? It would be ridiculous to claim playing Tchaikovsky would be forcing you to embrace homosexuality.