Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Tannebuam Thinks Sewell Is "Necessary" And "Easy"
Dude was a former GM, so I respect his opinion. I was starting to lean towards the Chase train but this helped me remember that our #1 priority should be to keep Burrow upright.

From TheSpun

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals own the No. 5 pick in this month’s NFL Draft, and the debate over who they should select has centered around two players.

The Bengals already have their franchise quarterback in Joe Burrow, last year’s No. 1 overall pick. It is expected that they choose a premier prospect to make life easier for the young signal caller, either Oregon offensive lineman Penei Sewell or LSU wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase, Burrow’s former teammate.

Former NFL general manager Mike Tannebuam thinks the choice is easy. He wants to see the Bengals grab Sewell, the standout offensive tackle, because he’ll provide much-needed protection for a young QB who was knocked around last season and his coming off ACL surgery.

Tannenbaum made his position clear during ESPN’s NFL Draft special last night.

We've got to protect Joe Burrow,” Tannenbaum said, via 247Sports. “He has rare feet for somebody his size. Joe Burrow got hurt last year. Zac Taylor’s gonna throw the ball quite a bit. And this is something that is absolutely necessary. This is a foundational pick. It reminds me of drafting D’Brickashaw Ferguson with the Jets, Laremy Tunsil at Miami. You draft him and you never look back. This is a necessary pick for Cincinnati.”

There is no doubt that Burrow and Chase have a strong connection, built during LSU’s national championship season in 2019.

However, Sewell is regarded as a “safe” selection, and you’ll never be faulted trying to improve your offensive line.

“Just go put on the tape,” Sewell said Monday, via the Detroit Free Press. “Everybody just go ahead and watch what I do. Nobody can do what I do in this draft in the offensive tackle room. So I bring something totally different to the table and I think people notice that. People know that. But again, people will say whatever they want to say. All I have to say is put on the tape and watch me work.”

Cincinnati has three weeks until it has to finalize its choice. The 2021 NFL Draft will begin Thursday, April 29 in Cleveland.

Chase would give Burrow a great weapon to work with and they could cause some damage, but Sewell's confidence there got me fired up and reminded me that Burrow's so good that he can make stars out of average receivers, but he can't do that from his back.

I also believe there's receivers that we could get later that could make a difference, like Nico Collins or Anthony Schwartz.

Do we take Sewell?
Reply/Quote
Tannenbaum got fired for a reason, one of those reasons was his drafting was really back towards the end of his tenure.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 02:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Dude was a former GM, so I respect his opinion.  I was starting to lean towards the Chase train but this helped me remember that our #1 priority should be to keep Burrow upright.

From TheSpun

Chase would give Burrow a great weapon to work with and they could cause some damage, but Sewell's confidence there got me fired up and reminded me that Burrow's so good that he can make stars out of average receivers, but he can't do that from his back.  

I also believe there's receivers that we could get later that could make a difference, like Nico Collins or Anthony Schwartz.

Do we take Sewell?

I believe Collins and Schwartz are outside the WR metrics the Bengals would even draft.  I of the opinion that if you don't get a WR at 5 you might not get one at all and if you do it's someone that is going to fight to make the roster as a 4th WR.  And if not, we are really going to be screwed. 
Reply/Quote
The thing that is interesting about this draft, is it is just as deep at WR as it is at OL.

There is a ton of good WRs in round 2, 3, and 4.

Then Bengals have a real chance to add two or three nice upgrades in the first 3 rounds.

Have to assume Chase, Waddle and Smith all go round 1.

Then 1 or 2 others of this group goes in 1 early 2:

Bateman, Rondale Moore, Elijah Moore and Terrace Marshall Jr.

Two of them should be there at 38 though.

Along with, these guys at 38 or in round 3:

Toney
Dyami Brown
Josh Palmer
Cade Johnson
Tylan Wallace
Armon-Ra St. Brown
Seth Williams
TuTu Atwell
Sage Surratt
Nico Collins

Later in the draft you have:
Dazz Newsome
Marquez Stevenson
Josh Imatorbhebhe

There is plenty of talent at positions of need for the Bengals. Just have to hope they have a good plan.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 02:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The thing that is interesting about this draft, is it is just as deep at WR as it is at OL.

Then Bengals have a real chance to add two or three nice upgrades in the first 3 rounds.

Toney
Dyami Brown
Josh Palmer
Cade Johnson
Tylan Wallace
Armon-Ra St. Brown
Seth Williams
TuTu Atwell
Sage Surratt
Nico Collins

Dazz Newsome
Marquez Stevenson
Josh Imatorbhebhe

There is plenty of talent at positions of need for the Bengals. Just have to hope they have a good plan.

Word.

Another few off the top of my head: not just 5'9 speed demon R4s like D'Wayne Eskridge who can help in the return game, but also R6 playmakers like Damonte Coxie and 6'3 4.4 R5-6s like Simi Fehoko Jr. 

Plenty of superb options to fill lanes and fortify a powerful attack led by Burrow, Mixon, Higgins and Boyd. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 02:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The thing that is interesting about this draft, is it is just as deep at WR as it is at OL.

Toney
Dyami Brown
Josh Palmer
Cade Johnson
Tylan Wallace
Armon-Ra St. Brown
Seth Williams
TuTu Atwell
Sage Surratt
Nico Collins

Dazz Newsome
Marquez Stevenson
Josh Imatorbhebhe

Rondale Moore and Elijah Moore are good players but not outside weapons. We need an outside guy.  Dyami Brown,Tylan Wallace,Bateman(if there). Nico Collins possibly. It's ok to draft a smaller guy but we need an outside guy 1st preferably. You can draft a smaller guy like Darden or NEwsome or someone else later on.
Reply/Quote
Sewell isn't a "necessary pick"; is he worth taking? Yes but the Bengals can go in multiple directions and still hit a home run in this draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Toney
Dyami Brown
Josh Palmer
Cade Johnson
Tylan Wallace
Armon-Ra St. Brown
Seth Williams
TuTu Atwell
Sage Surratt
Nico Collins

Dazz Newsome
Marquez Stevenson
Josh Imatorbhebhe

I agree and I would add Jaleon Darden to that list. I think he could be s sleeper and a good replacement for Ross/Erickson. We already have 2 Pro Bowl caliber WR's in Higgins and Boyd, plus Auden Tate. Add to that we are supposed to be building towards running the ball more, and I think we could wait for a WR and get one or 2 of the guys listed. I love Chase, and wont be upset if we take him, but it will be hard to pass on Sewell if it were me. 

Joe Burrow is the kind of QB that if you give him time, he will make most WR's look good. He's already shown he likes to spread the ball around. He just needs better protection and a run game. I personally think Higgins could be an elite level WR with Burrow. His rookie year was really good. I expect him to get even better. Plus Boyd is no slouce. He's one of the best slot WR's in the game. Tate could have a breakout year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 03:41 PM)pulses Wrote: Rondale Moore and Elijah Moore are good players but not outside weapons. We need an outside guy.  Dyami Brown,Tylan Wallace,Bateman(if there). Nico Collins possibly. It's ok to draft a smaller guy but we need an outside guy 1st preferably. You can draft a smaller guy like Darden or NEwsome or someone else later on.

Ty!! I don't know why people keep mentioning the smaller slot receivers
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 03:32 PM)tms Wrote: Word.

Another few off the top of my head: not just 5'9 speed demon R4s like D'Wayne Eskridge who can help in the return game, but also R6 playmakers like Damonte Coxie and 6'3 4.4 R5-6s like Simi Fehoko Jr. 

Plenty of superb options to fill lanes and fortify a powerful attack led by Burrow, Mixon, Higgins and Boyd. 
Damonte Coxie ran a 4.77 at his pro day no thanks not interested in him at any time.
Reply/Quote

Toney
Dyami Brown
Josh Palmer
Cade Johnson
Tylan Wallace
Armon-Ra St. Brown
Seth Williams
TuTu Atwell
Sage Surratt
Nico Collins

Dazz Newsome
Marquez Stevenson
Josh Imatorbhebhe

Went through everyone of them,not crazy about any of them taking over X outside receiver. But if I had to choose I'd go wallace or seth Williams in the 2nd or Stevenson in the 3rd,I like tutu but he's definitely undersized.  The rest are a big NO for me. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:58 PM)BobJohnson55 Wrote: Went through everyone of them,not crazy about any of them taking over X outside receiver. But if I had to choose I'd go wallace or seth Williams in the 2nd or Stevenson in the 3rd,I like tutu but he's definitely undersized.  The rest are a big NO for me. 

How is Dyami Brown a big no???

Guy had back to back 1000 yard seasons in a good conference with less the great QB play. Imagine what he could be with two other guys taking the pressure off him (Boyd and Higgins) and a really good QB throwing to him in Burrow. 

His NFL Comparison: CeeDee Lamb

That would be a great addition to the team. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end up being one of the best WR's in this class. 

Here is a report on Brown:

“Dyami Brown to me was the one out of all the guys in the draft that I just watched and went, ‘Woah. Who’s this guy?’ … Acceleration, top-notch. Top-end speed. It’s Odell Beckham, Jr. with the ball in the air type speed. He has another gear. There’s nobody that could run with this kid.”

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 03:41 PM)pulses Wrote: Rondale Moore and Elijah Moore are good players but not outside weapons. We need an outside guy.  Dyami Brown,Tylan Wallace,Bateman(if there). Nico Collins possibly. It's ok to draft a smaller guy but we need an outside guy 1st preferably. You can draft a smaller guy like Darden or NEwsome or someone else later on.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-comps-ole-miss-wr-elijah-moore

He gets compared in this article to Brandin Cooks, Emmanuel Sanders, DeSean Jackson and Tyler Lockett.

So.. two slot receivers in Cooks and Lockett and two guys who play on the outside in Jackson and Sanders.

What I don't get is people say don't take this guy or that guy... he is a slot and we need outside... but meanwhile...

"Ja'Marr Chase to me is just a slam dunk … He just has everything. First off, he has the ability to be an elite slot receiver." NFL analyst Chris Simms.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:04 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: How is Dyami Brown a big no???

Guy had back to back 1000 yard seasons in a good conference with less the great QB play. Imagine what he could be with two other guys taking the pressure off him (Boyd and Higgins) and a really good QB throwing to him in Burrow. 

His NFL Comparison: CeeDee Lamb

That would be a great addition to the team. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end up being one of the best WR's in this class. 

Here is a report on Brown:

“Dyami Brown to me was the one out of all the guys in the draft that I just watched and went, ‘Woah. Who’s this guy?’ … Acceleration, top-notch. Top-end speed. It’s Odell Beckham, Jr. with the ball in the air type speed. He has another gear. There’s nobody that could run with this kid.”

He's ok I guess,he gets some deep ball game,but do you think he could contribute right away,because that is what we need. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:13 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-comps-ole-miss-wr-elijah-moore

He gets compared in this article to Brandin Cooks, Emmanuel Sanders, DeSean Jackson and Tyler Lockett.

So.. two slot receivers in Cooks and Lockett and two guys who play on the outside in Jackson and Sanders.

What I don't get is people say don't take this guy or that guy... he is a slot and we need outside... but meanwhile...

"Ja'Marr Chase to me is just a slam dunk … He just has everything. First off, he has the ability to be an elite slot receiver." NFL analyst Chris Simms.

Chris sims is nuts for that,chase is a #1 receiver 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:17 AM)BobJohnson55 Wrote: He's ok I guess,he gets some deep ball game,but do you think he could contribute right away,because that is what we need. 

Yes, I really think Brown will be an instant impact.

He played on some teams that weren't super at North Carolina (the 2020 team was improved but with Covid it is so hard to judge teams) but he just always jumped off the page. 

I really want to see him here, he looks like the type of guy that everyone overlooks and pushes down their board and then the Steelers or a team like that takes him in round 3 and the dude just comes in and ends up being a Pro-Bowl guy.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:25 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yes, I really think Brown will be an instant impact.

He played on some teams that weren't super at North Carolina (the 2020 team was improved but with Covid it is so hard to judge teams) but he just always jumped off the page. 

I really want to see him here, he looks like the type of guy that everyone overlooks and pushes down their board and then the Steelers or a team like that takes him in round 3 and the dude just comes in and ends up being a Pro-Bowl guy.

I see your point,I do like his speed 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:27 AM)BobJohnson55 Wrote: I see your point,I do like his speed 

The other thing I love about him is that he is just such a tough dude. I remember watching his game film and it was never an easy tackle for the defender, like the first guy may eventually get him down, but he would fight that guy hard and a lot of times, the first guy just couldn't get him on the ground.

Good speed, good hands, and just a ton of strength and fight. He's going to be good. 

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:30 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The other thing I love about him is that he is just such a tough dude. I remember watching his game film and it was never an easy tackle for the defender, like the first guy may eventually get him down, but he would fight that guy hard and a lot of times, the first guy just couldn't get him on the ground.

Good speed, good hands, and just a ton of strength and fight. He's going to be good. 

You got me sold,he's one of the few I'd take in the 2nd round. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 11:36 PM)pulses Wrote: Damonte Coxie ran a 4.77 at his pro day no thanks not interested in him at any time.

Meh, I've been following the kid since long before his pro day. He has everything but elite athleticism. 6'3, durable, playmaker, fearless across the middle, soft hands, great footwork and awareness. Some guys just look like football players. He's definitely one. 
Reply/Quote