Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minter and Bengals linebackers
Should I be worried about the play middle linebacker Minter? The linebackers and secondary did not play well. I thought Mintor was in his prime but he sure did not look it.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Like I said in my takeaway.....we still left the middle of the field WIDE open. I'm hoping it had to do with vanilla scheme and Winston being a pretty damn good QB. If not.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 03:50 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Should I be worried about the play middle linebacker Minter?  The linebackers and secondary did not play well.  I thought Mintor was in his prime but he sure did not look it.

The secondary had one starter on the first drive until Jones went in down in the red zone..

Yes, that drive was ugly, especially the middle of the field.

But, they did keep them out of the end zone and I think, given another drive, they would have tightened it up.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I thought Minter was over rated by most here. But, that's just my opinion. How many FA LBers have the Bengals signed in their prime during your lifetime?
Reply/Quote
Yup, mentioned it before. The middle is opposing offenses' sweet spot.  Vanilla defense? Good excuse.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 05:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I thought Minter was over rated by most here. But, that's just my opinion. How many FA LBers have the Bengals signed in their prime during your lifetime?

Fair point. I just figured any LB other than Maualuga would be an improvement 
Reply/Quote
Minter is in his prime. The guy is just slow. I heard that from so many Cardinals fans this off-season, and I'm pretty sure he timed slow at the combine. I expect a younger, smarter version of Maualuga. What I never expected was for him to be an ace in coverage.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Foster looks great im coverage for the 49ers. Just saying . But whar do we stupid fans know. Minter still an upgrade over 58 at least
Reply/Quote
I expect Minter to be on the sidelines as much as 58 was. I expect to see Vigil, Burfict, Rey, and maybe Lawson on the field much more frequently.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
And by the way Winston is NOT a good QB - we just left receivers so wide open it was childs play to hit them. Also no QB pressure.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 06:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Foster looks great im coverage for the 49ers. Just saying . But whar do we stupid fans know. Minter still an upgrade over 58 at least

Can't fault them for not taking foster. They desperately needed a weapon like Ross. They have been looking for years.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 07:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Can't fault them for not taking foster.   They desperately needed a weapon like Ross.   They have been looking for years.

I guess we'll see what happens. Foster was rated by some "experts" as a "once in a generation" talent. Ross, though I like him, seemed like a bit of a reach. Again, time will tell. But I feel like we've been looking for a talent at LB a lot longer than we've been looking  for a talent like Ross. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 07:46 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I guess we'll see what happens. Foster was rated by some "experts" as a "once in a generation" talent. Ross, though I like him, seemed like a bit of a reach. Again, time will tell. But I feel like we've been looking for a talent at LB a lot longer than we've been looking  for a talent like Ross. 

I love that once in a generation line lol. Clowney is a once in a generation DE... Joey Bosa is a once in a generation DE....Miles Garrett is a once in a generation DE lolol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Well Lets see what Ross does. But hes off to a bad start. And not many speedy wr are taken so high
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 08:37 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Well Lets see what Ross does.    But hes off to a bad start.  And not many speedy wr are taken so high

Because not many "speedy" WRs are also "complete" WRs.

There were many GMs and scouts that had Ross as the top WR in the draft. Ahead of the guys that went before him.

I posted links after the draft, but I guess people have Heyward-Bey stuck in their heads and nothing will change that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 05:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I thought Minter was over rated by most here. But, that's just my opinion. How many FA LBers have the Bengals signed in their prime during your lifetime?

Thomas Howard comes to mind.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Minter and the LBs will be fine. It was 1 series in the first preseason game. Sheesh!

Minter is going to be more of a run stopping player (Maualuga role) while Burfict and Vigil will be the regular down guys. The Bengals play with only 2 LBs on the field quite a bit because they run the nickel a ton. Look for that to be a combination of two between Burfict + Vigil or Rey most of the time.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thomas Howard comes to mind.

RIP

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 07:50 PM)Synric Wrote: I love that once in a generation line lol. Clowney is a once in a generation DE... Joey Bosa is a once in a generation DE....Miles Garrett is a once in a generation DE lolol.

Ha! True points and fair enough. Again, we'll see what happens. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Ross pick (I actually thought he'd be gone before the 9th pick), but we have been starving for a decent LB for what seems like forever. All the free agent "saviors" (Hawk, Dansby, maybe Minter...) weren't anything to write home about. I was hoping they'd draft a young up and comer rather than another ineffective castoff. Not writing Minter off yet but I wasnt too thrilled with the signing. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Ha! True points and fair enough. Again, we'll see what happens. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Ross pick (I actually thought he'd be gone before the 9th pick), but we have been starving for a decent LB for what seems like forever. All the free agent "saviors" (Hawk, Dansby, maybe Minter...) weren't anything to write home about. I was hoping they'd draft a young up and comer rather than another ineffective castoff. Not writing Minter off yet but I wasnt too thrilled with the signing. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

WTF???

Hawk, Dansby, and Minter weren't touted as saviors in the least. They were vets brought in to fill gaps, that's it.

- Burfict is one of the best LBs in the NFL and has been since he stepped onto the field.

- The Bengals play with 2 LBs on the field most of the time. One of them is top 3 in the NFL (Burfict) when it comes to 4-3 LBS and probably a top 3 to 5 LB in general among all players.

- The Bengals have drafted several guys who have had injury issues or haven't panned out. They're trying. Flowers, Dawson, and Sean Porter come to mind.

- Vigil looks to be what the Bengals are needing at LB in terms of reliable, smart, athletic.

- Lawson is a rush LB to do that job.

^ What else are they supposed to have done? I think the players are there on the roster to be a great LB corps. Other guys have gotten hurt or have been bad (Dawson). Have there been many FA LBs who have made a big difference anywhere?
Reply/Quote