Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minter and Bengals linebackers
(08-15-2017, 12:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We've had a few "worth a damn" during the Marvin era. Brian Simmons and Landon Johnson immediately come to mind. Also Dhani Jones was perhaps the most under-rated Bengal ever. We missed him the minute he left and we turned the middle over to Maualuga.

I also owe you rep when you get out of "rep jail".

(08-15-2017, 03:51 PM)treee Wrote: Dhani Jones had some attributes we very badly needed at the time though: a good, smart signal caller and positive locker room presence. Even though he wasn't a world-beater with his play, he did help our defense be better overall.

(08-16-2017, 12:08 AM)Joelist Wrote: People keep forgetting this and also what was going on on the defense when we put Dhani in. Pre-Dhani the front seven were constantly out of position, falling for misdirection plays and taking bad angles to plays. Once Dhani took over setting the front seven that all stopped. It was very similar to what was going on in the secondary before we went and got another cagey vet (Chris Crocker) to "QB" the secondary. 

Jones and Crocker were very underated IMO.  They weren't world beaters, but their very presence elevated those around them, and that's a rare ability that should never be discounted.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I watched the game again last night and something troubles me. In that first drive, Burfict pretty much didn't wrap up on tackles, it wasn't just him tho. I saw a lot of just trying to lay that killer hit. Another thing I noticed, Geno was everywhere!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:11 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Burfict could have blown up a receiver  that was going across the middle on the first drive. That wouldn't have worked in the regular season. Also, Mike Evans got away with a blatant push off on the long completion to the right side. Hopefully that call doesn't go against us in the regular season but I wont hold my breath.

Wouldn't hold my breath when we play the Steelers but atleast Burfict would of lit into the guy and they wouldn't try that again.

That was a push off and Dennard had good position, might get called in the regular season.

But again, not against the Steelers. Dirty bastids. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 06:21 PM)jason Wrote: I expect Minter to be on the sidelines as much as 58 was. I expect to see Vigil, Burfict, Rey, and maybe Lawson on the field much more frequently.

The LB we drafted will probly get some Dime Snaps....   Rey was also looking slow to me last year... I don't want to see Vinny rey starting
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 12:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We've had a few "worth a damn" during the Marvin era. Brian Simmons and Landon Johnson immediately come to mind. Also Dhani Jones was perhaps the most under-rated Bengal ever. We missed him the minute he left and we turned the middle over to Maualuga.

Landon Johnson? Dude was out of place as a starter. He was promptly placed on the bench (in his prime) as soon as he went to a different team.

Then he was out of the league at 30 years old. We've definitely struggled with finding good LB's. Why you think Marv loves Burfict so much?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:11 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Burfict could have blown up a receiver  that was going across the middle on the first drive. That wouldn't have worked in the regular season. Also, Mike Evans got away with a blatant push off on the long completion to the right side. Hopefully that call doesn't go against us in the regular season but I wont hold my breath.

For Evans, pushing off seems to be a major part of his game.  He was really open just once, and he dropped that one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 12:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Landon Johnson? Dude was out of place as a starter. He was promptly placed on the bench (in his prime) as soon as he went to a different team.

Then he was out of the league at 30 years old. We've definitely struggled with finding good LB's. Why you think Marv loves Burfict so much?

After Brian Simmons/TKO it was a wasteland of wasted talent (Odell, Pollack) and just duds until Burfict. And they screwed up Maualuga by trying to force him into a MLB role instead of just leaving him at SLB where he played really good football his first 2 years. 
Reply/Quote
Couple things:
1. Games are games, and it's on film. So I won't make excuses for what your eyes tell you.
That said:
2. There was no game plan for Tampa. Base 4-3 was literally base 4-3. We'll see some small game-planning for Kansas City. Obviously more for Washington.
3. They hope Minter can cover well enough when they open in base and the opponent decies to pass, and honestly, he will do it better than Maualuga, but the opponent looks to throw. He won't be in nickel at all, if they can help it. I'd judge him more on his run fits and tackling, since that's why he's here - to upgrade base 4-3 middle linebacker.

Now, as for the rest of them - Nick Vigil and Jordan Evans and Carl Lawson have a lot to prove in a lot of areas as young players. Vigil especially. He's going to have to know how to cover.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:47 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Minter and the LBs will be fine. It was 1 series in the first preseason game. Sheesh!

Minter is going to be more of a run stopping player (Maualuga role) while Burfict and Vigil will be the regular down guys. The Bengals play with only 2 LBs on the field quite a bit because they run the nickel a ton. Look for that to be a combination of two between Burfict + Vigil or Rey most of the time.

What? The sky hasn't fallen and it can't get up? Better call Life-Alert before it's too late. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 09:27 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Couple things:
1. Games are games, and it's on film. So I won't make excuses for what your eyes tell you.
That said:
2. There was no game plan for Tampa. Base 4-3 was literally base 4-3. We'll see some small game-planning for Kansas City. Obviously more for Washington.
3. They hope Minter can cover well enough when they open in base and the opponent decies to pass, and honestly, he will do it better than Maualuga, but the opponent looks to throw. He won't be in nickel at all, if they can help it. I'd judge him more on his run fits and tackling, since that's why he's here - to upgrade base 4-3 middle linebacker.

Now, as for the rest of them - Nick Vigil and Jordan Evans and Carl Lawson have a lot to prove in a lot of areas as young players. Vigil especially. He's going to have to know how to cover.

I like Jordan Evans a lot. Thinking he makes the team as the last backer.

Vigil is smart and that is a start. He has shown the ability to cover. Overall i like the LB corps much better than last year
cause they can cover somewhate. Haslett needs to make sure the LB's are in the right position in the run game though.

That was a big problem last year and stood out blatantly in the Dallas game. LB's need to be in position.

When they are out of position it is over. This is on Burfict as well as he is pretty much our Defensive Captain.
Reply/Quote