Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mississippi Bill Would Force Schools to Pay $1,500 for Not Saying the Pledge Early
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2017/01/11/mississippi-bill-would-force-schools-to-pay-1500-for-not-saying-the-pledge-early-in-the-day/

Quote:Mississippi already has a law requiring public schools to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Students aren’t required to participate if they choose not to, of course, but the schools have been forced to pay lip service to the ritual since 2002.

But because the state has no other problems to solve, State Rep. William Shirley has put forth a bill, HB 205, that will fine a school $1,500 if they don’t say the Pledge within the first hour of the day.

[Image: shutterstock_336126929.jpg]

Because God forbid students waste their time at the end of the school day…

To put it another way, Shirley would penalize schools if the administrators decided they wanted teachers to get right down to the business of educating kids.

It’s Mississippi. That sounds about right.

Another bill offered by State Rep. Oscar DentonHB 201, would require schools to also have a “period of reflection” at the beginning of the day. It’s not even silent reflection.

Quote:In each public school classroom, the local school governing board shall designate a period of reflection at the opening of school upon every school day in which nonsectarian, nonproselytizing student-initiated prayer shall be allowed in silence or audible communication through which those desiring may voluntarily participate.

It’s a way to let students pray during class, in a state where religion is already everywhere. Students who don’t want to participate in the classroom prayers will no doubt be ostracized and pressured to join in. Which I’m sure Denton is well aware of.

It makes you wonder when any of these politicians will pass a bill requiring schools to stop wasting time and actually teach any of the subjects.

The bill:
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2017/pdf/history/HB/HB0205.xml

[Image: bill.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
They have schools in Mississippi?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Remove "under god" and make it mandatory for all Children in Public Schools.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-11-2017, 05:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They have schools in Mississippi?

Just to teach the pledge and how to pray.
(01-11-2017, 05:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Remove "under god" and make it mandatory for all Children in Public Schools.

They already say it.
(01-11-2017, 05:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: They already say it.

But from what I understand not every child is forced to participate. He or she can remain seated quietly.

Don't call me Shirley.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-11-2017, 05:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Remove "under god" and make it mandatory for all Children in Public Schools.

Because being forced to say a pledge that you didn't voluntarily choose to take and don't really understand is productive. Pledges like this are archaic and stupid. I am all for the national anthem, but the pledge is just lip service.
(01-11-2017, 05:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: They already say it.

It is not mandatory.  The schools may set aside time to say the pledge however the student does not have to participate.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(01-11-2017, 05:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But from what I understand not every child is forced to participate. He or she can remain seated quietly.

Yuck, I hate freedom.
(01-11-2017, 05:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: Because being forced to say a pledge that you didn't voluntarily choose to take and don't really understand is productive. Pledges like this are archaic and stupid. I am all for the national anthem, but the pledge is just lip service.

You have zero idea what children do or do not understand.

(01-11-2017, 05:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You have zero idea what children do or do not understand.

You have zero idea what he does or does not understand.  

(01-11-2017, 05:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You have zero idea what children do or do not understand.

If you can find a 5 year old who understands every word in the pledge of allegiance, and what pledging ones allegiance to a country and it's ideals both past and present means I'll send you $100. Shit their are grown ups that don't know what indivisible means haha.
(01-11-2017, 05:20 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: You have zero idea what he does or does not understand.  

Well he didn't say he didn't understand it; nor, did I accise him of such.

(01-11-2017, 05:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: If you can find a 5 year old who understands every word in the pledge of allegiance, and what pledging ones allegiance to a country and it's ideals both past and present means I'll send you $100. Shit their are grown ups that don't know what indivisible means haha.

Interesting thought. I have to wonder what the crossover would like like on populations where they are staunchly for the saying of the PoA in school and those that have, at some time or another, advocated for secession.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-11-2017, 05:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well he didn't say he didn't understand it; nor, did I accise him of such.

You also apparently have zero understanding of what I wrote.

(01-11-2017, 05:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: If you can find a 5 year old who understands every word in the pledge of allegiance, and what pledging ones allegiance to a country and it's ideals both past and present means I'll send you $100. Shit their are grown ups that don't know what indivisible means haha.

I remember citing the pledge in school; matter of fact it was one of my most vivid memories from my early education. I alway understood it to be respectful to the flag and loyal to my country.

I think I was about five. I'll give you an address where you can mail the money order (no check).

(01-11-2017, 05:23 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: You also apparently have zero understanding of what I wrote.

Guess that makes two of us.

(01-11-2017, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Guess that makes two of us.

Nope...Just one.

(01-11-2017, 05:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Interesting thought. I have to wonder what the crossover would like like on populations where they are staunchly for the saying of the PoA in school and those that have, at some time or another, advocated for secession.

Yes, but aren't we talking about simply regurgitating the pledge? This isn't about actually having a clue what it means, knowing when it was written, when the god part was added, or if saying it makes you a giant hypocrite.