Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon contract restructure finalizing
(07-17-2023, 04:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I heard the guys on NFL radio saying that the Vikings have made Cook an offer of $7M to come back to Minnesota.  What I can't believe is that Barkley turned down 2 years for $26M from the Giants.

Yes. RB's are so undervalued in the NFL.

I like Mixon, but I probably rate Cook as slightly better as he's a better pass catcher.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 11:29 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: What’s your take here? He gave up money but kept the same degree of security? Reflect if you will please

Well, I think he was going to be cut next year. So he gave up money to guarantee he's here for 2 years.

Had we waived him, I doubt he would have made more money on the market.

Now IF Barkley was a free agent, I think he could get a 4-5 year deal for a lot of money.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 11:30 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. RB's are so undervalued in the NFL.

I like Mixon, but I probably rate Cook as slightly better as he's a better pass catcher.

I think the situation is that the RB position still has value but the individual RBs, much less so. You want to have an effective running game but you can largely achieve that by having low contract guys running in a committee. Paying huge money to big name RBs often doesn't produce enough of an improvement to justify the extra expenditure. That, in my opinion, is why the RB market is so down. They aren't undervalued - they just aren't worth it. 
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:46 PM)Housh Wrote: Saying it was a risk not to restructure makes it sound like he had a choice. He 100% would not have gotten 6M per from any team. If Zeke and Cook can’t even get a team to throw them 4M for one year then Mixon would’ve been more likely to not be on ANY team rather than not get the money he wants.

This restructure guaranteed he’s playing NFL ball for 2 more years as long as he’s still got it. It was a great deal for him and he knows it.

(07-17-2023, 04:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s correct but we don’t what was said in negotiations

(07-17-2023, 09:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Then there is no security which was your point. So you have no point. So stop with the bs.

(07-18-2023, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, I think he was going to be cut next year. So he gave up money to guarantee he's here for 2 years.

Had we waived him, I doubt he would have made more money on the market.

Now IF Barkley was a free agent, I think he could get a 4-5 year deal for a lot of money.

I think it did give Joe some security for less money.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 11:58 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think it did give Joe some security for less money.

Who knows, if Mixon can stay healthy and productive for both full seasons, he may have a shot of ending up as the Bengals second career leading rusher.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 12:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who knows, if Mixon can stay healthy and productive for both full seasons, he may have a shot of ending up as the Bengals second career leading rusher.

I would love it, LOVE IT ! If Mixon would come out this season and quit dancing in the backfield, and falling down if a defender gets within 8 feet of him, running like he did against Carolina all season. Run for 1,200 yards at 5.1 per carry and 9 TD's. Prove me wrong

But my gut feeling is Mixon is already big time into his downhill slide. At least they cut him down to 5.5 million so the sting isn't so bad. If he does stink...again

Cheers here's to me being wrong
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 02:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I would love it, LOVE IT ! If Mixon would come out this season and quit dancing in the backfield, and falling down if a defender gets within 8 feet of him, running like he did against Carolina all season. Run for 1,200 yards at 5.1 per carry and 9 TD's. Prove me wrong

But my gut feeling is Mixon is already big time into his downhill slide. At least they cut him down to 5.5 million so the sting isn't so bad. If he does stink...again

I'm just hoping that with a year of continuity on the interior OL, that there will be some lanes that he can't help but get a few big chunk runs from this season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 11:58 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think it did give Joe some security for less money.

Yeah, but the less money was what gives the security. He's not signed for any more years than he was before and if he declined the cut, he's unemployed which = no security. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 02:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I would love it, LOVE IT ! If Mixon would come out this season and quit dancing in the backfield, and falling down if a defender gets within 8 feet of him, running like he did against Carolina all season. Run for 1,200 yards at 5.1 per carry and 9 TD's. Prove me wrong

Well said, exactly how I feel about Mixon myself. Prove us wrong Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 02:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, but the less money was what gives the security. He's not signed for any more years than he was before and if he declined the cut, he's unemployed which = no security. 

Oh no doubt but I mean with the new deal. He gained a little but lost money
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 11:29 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: What’s your take here? He gave up money but kept the same degree of security? Reflect if you will please

From Mixon's POV? He likely gained both money & security. I do not really consider a team option being signed (from the player's perspective).

Under the original deal, he was due $12.7 mil this year, but he only had $5.5 mil guaranteed (his $5,500,000 dead cap number). Next year, there was a team option for $13.1 mil, with a dead cap/guarantee of $2.75 mil.  

There was no way we were picking up that option for next year. None. I have no idea what the FOs thinking was this year, if they would have cut him & paid Cook/Elliot instead. I kind of doubt it. Paying Cook $7 mil and eating $5.5 mil on Joe is $12.5 mil, you atent saving much/anything. And Cook turned down $7 mil, so it may take more. 

Mixon's best case was $12.7 mil this year, + $2.75 next. Roughly $15.5 mil.  Depending what he could get on the open market. But Hunt, & Ekeker, & Elliot, & Cook are evidence it would not have been a ton. 

Now? He has $8,460,000 in the bag this year, and likely $8.5 mil next. $17 mil. And he gets to play for a contender, doesn't have to move, etc. And stays where he is happy. 

I think the money is about a wash even if we were willing to keep him at full salary this year. If we weren't? Then he is definitely making out better. No way he gets 2/$17 after the year he just had. And now he gets a chance to bounce back and make more money for his next contract in a good situation. 

Again, cannot say for sure, but I think it is likely (or possible) that he ends up doing better money wise than he would have over the next two years. Or at least it is a wash. Plus, less hassle. He gets to play for a contender. And improves his chances of earning a better contract in 2 years (he'll be 29).

The Bengals save some $$ and don't have a gaping hole to fill at RB1 for at least two years. By then we should know more about Brown, Evans, and if Mixon can bounce back. 

We can focus on the trenches and DBs the next couple years in terms of draft capital (assuming Jones/Iosivas hit). Maybe that $$ is enough to keep Boyd or Chido an extra year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 09:44 AM)WildfireMicro Wrote: If nothing else, this proves that people really want to play with Joe Burrow. Which is nice.

And the Bengals organization,  Joe has said he wanted to a.bengal before Joe B...
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 02:57 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Oh no doubt but I mean with the new deal. He gained a little but lost money

I think it proves what he has said numerous times, he bleeds bengals, somevof us don't understand what it means when someone takes a chance on you when others would not, o do and though it is not in the $$ figures of Joe, to some extent t the loyalty and appreciation drives you to stay the course
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 11:30 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. RB's are so undervalued in the NFL.

He averages .6 more yards per carry in his career (huge amount), his career worst YPC season would be .3 better than Mixon's second best. He averages more yards per carry after contact, has more broken tackles (pfr). He has had at least one 60+ yard run in each of the last 5 years (Mixon has 0 in his career) and is a 4x Pro Bowler.

Cook is significantly better, but he is less secure with the ball.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 11:32 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Now IF Barkley was a free agent, I think he could get a 4-5 year deal for a lot of money.

I had kind of a fun thought with all the RB talk. Next sign Barkley instead of Higgins. While Barkleys contract could be sizeable it would pale in comparison to Higgins. I know it would never happen but we could draft a 2nd Rd wide out and we would have a home run hitter at RB and with Chase.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 08:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I had kind of a fun thought with all the RB talk. Next sign Barkley instead of Higgins. While Barkleys contract could be sizeable it would pale in comparison to Higgins. I know it would never happen but we could draft a 2nd Rd wide out and we would have a home run hitter at RB and with Chase.

Amazing that Barkley averaged a paltry 3.7 yards a carry in 2021. Oh and his OL was #30 by PFF. Amazing how Cincy was #28 in 2022 and Mixon had his worst season. Absolutely stunning how that works

Reply/Quote

The pay cut secured his job for this season. If the Bengals release him next year it saves them almost $6M in cap savings. The only security he has for next year is his performance this year.
Reply/Quote
Issac Curtis “From Mixon's POV? He likely gained both money & security. I do not really consider a team option being signed (from the player's perspective). Mixon's best case was $12.7 mil this year, + $2.75 next. Roughly $15.5 mil. Depending what he could get on the open market. But Hunt, & Ekeker, & Elliot, & Cook are evidence it would not have been a ton.

Now? He has $8,460,000 in the bag this year, and likely $8.5 mil next. $17 mil. And he gets to play for a contender, doesn't have to move, etc. And stays where he is happy. “

I agree with this

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 09:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The pay cut secured his job for this season. If the Bengals release him next year it saves them almost $6M in cap savings. The only security he has for next year is his performance this year.

And replacing him with an experienced good running back like Ekeler it’s a wash. They won’t gain any money.

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote