Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon contract restructure finalizing
(07-17-2023, 01:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well it is a choice, as he had to agree to it.

TBH, I'm surprised it took until mid-July for this to happen.

Agent might have been monitoring the market (Cook) and ran out of time
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:30 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don't recall many fans speculating Mixon would be released with two years remaining on his contract until his most recent legal issues.

I said back before FA he wouldn't be on the team to start the year at the old cap number if that counts? I was told by someone in the league they have been talking to Mixon since FA about taking a lower number and there was talk of moving on if he wouldn't. Why it just got done versus then? Not sure but it could have something to do with the lack of Cook finding his deal forcing Mixon to reconsider how good of an idea being cut after the draft would be. 
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:46 PM)Housh Wrote: Saying it was a risk not to restructure makes it sound like he had a choice. He 100% would not have gotten 6M per from any team. If Zeke and Cook can’t even get a team to throw them 4M for one year then Mixon would’ve been more likely to not be on ANY team rather than not get the money he wants.

This restructure guaranteed he’s playing NFL ball for 2 more years as long as he’s still got it. It was a great deal for him and he knows it.

I heard the guys on NFL radio saying that the Vikings have made Cook an offer of $7M to come back to Minnesota.  What I can't believe is that Barkley turned down 2 years for $26M from the Giants.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:30 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don't recall many fans speculating Mixon would be released with two years remaining on his contract until his most recent legal issues.

Yes, he could have easily been Elliot or Cooks which isn't a great endorsement.  He could have been easily replaced by Elliot or Cook, also. Thus the 40% pay cut.

Unless the restructured deal is fully guaranteed he has the exact amount of security as before, just less compensation.

That’s correct but we don’t what was said in negotiations
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He only receives the incentives if he reaches certain production numbers, correct?  Meaning if he has a poor season the team saved $4.5M, if he gets his act back together and plays like he did 2 years ago, the team will still have saved some money while Mixon gets an earned bonus.  Seems like a win-win situation to me.

I'm less concerned with what happens at the end of the year than what the current cap is. IDK for certain, but the incentives are included in the cap number, correct? So how much room we have to sign guys to extensions and bring in a player in-season, if needed, are what matters most. 

Next year was a team option. The chances we pick that up just went way up. We were looking at $10 mil in savings if we oet him walk, more than enough to sign a better/replacement like Cook. Now? It may be tougher to find a replacement for a similar price. 

As for the incentives, word is they are not hard to hit. I'd wager if he does not hit them, there is no next year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 04:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I heard the guys on NFL radio saying that the Vikings have made Cook an offer of $7M to come back to Minnesota.  What I can't believe is that Barkley turned down 2 years for $26M from the Giants.

That is crazy from Barkley. Also I heard Dalvin Cook is a little banged up and might not be 100% by the opener so that might of 
been a reason why we hung onto Mixon instead of cutting his salary and picking up Dalvin. Love this restructure and Mixon was 
right to take it and stick around and hopefully really improve this year in pass protection and hitting holes with urgency.

Mixon is good with ball security and catching the ball out of the backfield. Will give him that. Still really like Chase Brown for the 
future and hope he gets every chance to get a lot of snaps even as a rookie. His vision, speed and balance are all very good.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 05:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is crazy from Barkley. Also I heard Dalvin Cook is a little banged up and might not be 100% by the opener so that might of 
been a reason why we hung onto Mixon instead of cutting his salary and picking up Dalvin. Love this restructure and Mixon was 
right to take it and stick around and hopefully really improve this year in pass protection and hitting holes with urgency.

Mixon is good with ball security and catching the ball out of the backfield. Will give him that. Still really like Chase Brown for the 
future and hope he gets every chance to get a lot of snaps even as a rookie. His vision, speed and balance are all very good.

They might have gone after Cook if Mixon had balked on his restructure. But Cook had zero to do with Joe. There goal 1000% was to work out something with Joe. Zach and Mike wanted him on the team.
Reply/Quote
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 04:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I heard the guys on NFL radio saying that the Vikings have made Cook an offer of $7M to come back to Minnesota.  What I can't believe is that Barkley turned down 2 years for $26M from the Giants.

To me Barkley is worth at least 3 years 50M to that offense. Played all but 1 game, had 1300 yards on 4.4 YPC. You basically can’t get better than that in a league where defensive LINEMAN are running 4.4 40s. 13 per with how they are about to abuse him is just disrespectful. 3 years keeps them flexible and they’ve already signed their QB. They let Toney go for money now they want to risk Barkley walking after 2 franchise tags….it’s insane to me. Giants are nothing without Barkley
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 04:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s correct but we don’t what was said in negotiations

Do you really believe Mixon’s agent is that naive? If it isn’t in writing it isn’t enforceable. Even you have opined Mixon may not be with the team next season even after restructuring his contract.
Reply/Quote

Always depends on the structure and the guarantees.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 06:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Do you really believe Mixon’s agent is that naive? If it isn’t in writing it isn’t enforceable. Even you have opined Mixon may not be with the team next season even after restructuring his contract.

Didn’t say anything about being enforceable

Reply/Quote
Well at least they're using incentives to help motivate Mixon.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 07:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Didn’t say anything about being enforceable

Then there is no security which was your point. So you have no point. So stop with the bs.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 09:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Then there is no security which was your point. So you have no point. So stop with the bs.

Uh no I’m fine

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 08:57 PM)pally Wrote: Joe's not stupid...a restructured contract in Cincy is more than he'll get on the street...if he got anything

I predicted this after the season ended. It was simple, the running back market has tanked so Bengals gave Joe a choice, either take less pay and stay a bengal or we cut ties. It is nice to see the Bengals complete a deal with Je because in the past Mike Brown was reluctant to not honor full contracts.

Smart business decision and Joe seems to be happy as well to stay on a potential Super Bowl team.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well it is a choice, as he had to agree to it.

TBH, I'm surprised it took until mid-July for this to happen.

I may be wrong, but his legal issues may had changed the negotiation to the Bengals side of the ledger. Also, he has to see 4 pretty good RB's unemployed in mid July. He also sees the young top guys not getting paid big bucks for 2nd contracts like he did.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 12:28 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I predicted this after the season ended. It was simple, the running back market has tanked so Bengals gave Joe a choice, either take less pay and stay a bengal or we cut ties. It is nice to see the Bengals complete a deal with Je because in the past Mike Brown was reluctant to not honor full contracts.

Smart business decision and Joe seems to be happy as well to stay on a potential Super Bowl team.

Bengals ahead of the curve nicely on this. RB market died in the arse and they restructure a good team mate that knows the system. Nice work allround. 
Reply/Quote
FWIW, OTC has Mixon's new cap number as $8,460,000. That is down more than $4 million from the previous $12,761,754. This year's dead money is now $9,628,000. Up from $5,500,000. We'd now lose money by cutting him.

Next year, the cap # is $8,500,000 with a dead cap of $2,750,000. We'd save $5,750,000 with a cut. Previously, his option was $13,133,205 with an identical $2,750,000 dead cap. Potential savings over $10.35 mil if cut. My $2.5 mil savings guess was dead wrong.

FWIW, I have our cap space at over $21 mil, which differs slightly from OTC's $19.2, because I am making guesses about who actually makes the roster, rather than just taking the top 51/53 salaries of all the guys in camp. Jones and Iosivas make less than Taylor & Morgan, for example.

EDIT: my roster guess has Collins on it. If he's on PUP, that number will increase some, I believe.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2023, 11:08 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, OTC has Mixon's new cap number as $8,460,000. That is down more than $4 million from the previous $12,761,754. This year's dead money is now $9,628,000. Up from $5,500,000. We'd now lose money by cutting him.

Next year, the cap # is $8,500,000 with a dead cap of $2,750,000. We'd save $5,750,000 with a cut. Previously, his option was $13,133,205 with an identical $2,750,000 dead cap. Potential savings over $10.35 mil if cut. My $2.5 mil savings guess was dead wrong.

FWIW, I have our cap space at over $21 mil, which differs slightly from OTC's $19.2, because I am making guesses about who actually makes the roster, rather than just taking the top 51/53 salaries of all the guys in camp. Jones and Iosivas make less than Taylor & Morgan, for example.

EDIT: my roster guess has Collins on it. If he's on PUP, that number will increase some, I believe.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals

What’s your take here? He gave up money but kept the same degree of security? Reflect if you will please
Reply/Quote