Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon contract restructure finalizing
(07-16-2023, 06:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is great news. Good move by Mixon sticking around to play for a winner and sticking with the team that gave him a shot.

I'm happy to still have him on our team and now at a way friendlier price. He is a good player. I wouldn't mind prolonging his career by giving other RBs more snaps. I think we can have multiple productive RBs. I wonder if the new lower salary means they will be more willing to spread the workload out?

Very fair and reasonable comments. Like I’ve said the Bengals had a golden opportunity to dump him get a free agent, be more aggressive in keeping Perine not him, or drafting a running back sooner. They even had an excuse with 2 legal issues. But didn’t. He’s not that well liked to keep unless let’s face it they’ve got full confidence in him. He doesn’t take a pay cut or restructure ( call it what you want) unless they’ve committed to him thru 2024.

Mixon had a great season in 2021. But prior to it PFF on Mixon going into 2021: An offensive line so bad that it was hazardous to Joe Burrow’s health has also been a major obstacle in the way of Joe Mixon having the kind of dominant production that his talent might deserve. Mixon has only averaged 3.9 yards per carry over the last two seasons, but 3.0 yards of that have come after contact.

From Cincy Jungle : We have heard in length about how much the offensive line has hurt the passing games the last few seasons, but Mixon has also had to deal with issues with not having tremendous blocking to help him get to the second level. Averaging three yards after contact is pretty great. That puts him in the same category as players like Nick Chubb (2.7 yards after contact in 2020) and Derrick Henry (2.8 yards after contact in 2020).

And after his 2021 season PFF Mixon,Chase,Burrow, and Chido made PFF’s all pro second team.

Yep in 2022 he struggled.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Still would have preferred Jamal Williams at 4 million per year but this is at least palatable.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2023, 08:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Very fair and reasonable comments. Like I’ve said the Bengals had a golden opportunity to dump him get a free agent, be more aggressive in keeping Perine not him, or drafting a running back sooner. They even had an excuse with 2 legal issues. But didn’t. He’s not that well liked to keep unless let’s face it they’ve got full confidence in him. He doesn’t take a pay cut or restructure ( call it what you want) unless they’ve committed to him thru 2024.

Mixon had a great season in 2021. But prior to it PFF on Mixon going into 2021: An offensive line so bad that it was hazardous to Joe Burrow’s health has also been a major obstacle in the way of Joe Mixon having the kind of dominant production that his talent might deserve. Mixon has only averaged 3.9 yards per carry over the last two seasons, but 3.0 yards of that have come after contact.

From Cincy Jungle : We have heard in length about how much the offensive line has hurt the passing games the last few seasons, but Mixon has also had to deal with issues with not having tremendous blocking to help him get to the second level. Averaging three yards after contact is pretty great. That puts him in the same category as players like Nick Chubb (2.7 yards after contact in 2020) and Derrick Henry (2.8 yards after contact in 2020).

And after his 2021 season PFF Mixon,Chase,Burrow, and Chido made PFF’s all pro second team.

Yep in 2022 he struggled.

Only a Sooner’s fan thinks forcing a starter with two years left on their current contract while being more than $15M under the salary cap to take a 40% pay cut due to the player’s lack of performance is a vote of full confidence, “Congratulations on the efficiency, Joe.”

And you’ve claimed repeatedly how well liked Mixon is. Now you claim he isn’t well liked. So which one is it? Is it another fluid situation?
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2023, 11:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Only a Sooner’s fan thinks forcing a starter with two years left on their current contract while being more than $15M under the salary cap to take a 40% pay cut due to the player’s lack of performance is a vote of full confidence, “Congratulations on the efficiency, Joe.”

And you’ve claimed repeatedly how well liked Mixon is. Now you claim he isn’t well liked. So which one is it? Is it another fluid situation?

No he’s extremely well liked. Missed the sarcasm that they didn’t keep him alone for that reason. You try too hard to examine every word. You are always baffled. Yep I’d say they have confidence in him but just like the NFL world we live in running backs a dime a dozen. Had they not had confidence he’d be gone. It’s not hard buddy
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 12:14 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No he’s extremely well liked. Missed the sarcasm that they didn’t keep him alone for that reason. You try too hard to examine every word. You are always baffled. Yep I’d say they have confidence in him but just like the NFL world we live in running backs a dime a dozen. Had they not had confidence he’d be gone. It’s not hard buddy

A 40% pay cut is not a vote of confidence. That’s what holding onto your job by your fingernails looks like. Had he refused, Mixon would have been released just like Giovanni Bernard when he refused a pay cut.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 10:04 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Really have to disagree with your post here. Sure age is a major factor and obviously players especially RBs will decline as they get older. Your list has players that either have other factors or don't fit Mixons game. I think Mixon still has the tools to have a good season or two. I really think some of the negatives we attribute to Mixons game ( Not breaking tackles ) is due to his commitment to not turning the ball over. 

A back that rarely turns the ball over, especially one who can catch well..That's money in the bank..Joe has a few shortcomings, but ball security and pass catching like a WR? That's tough to let go of for any team especially for a pass first team..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 12:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: A 40% pay cut is not a vote of confidence. That’s what holding onto your job by your fingernails looks like. Had he refused, Mixon would have been released just like Giovanni Bernard when he refused a pay cut.

The pay cut is simple economics. It has nothing to do with a vote of confidence. It's not like they cut him down to league minimum. He's already a multi millionaire.. Don't be silly..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 02:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: A back that rarely turns the ball over, especially one who can catch well..That's money in the bank..Joe has a few shortcomings, but ball security and pass catching like a WR? That's tough to let go of for any team especially for a pass first team..

Mixon is a solid pass catcher, but "like a WR" is an awfully big jump from solid. He is averaging 7.3 yards per catch in the Joe Burrow era and his average depth of target is behind the line of scrimmage.

There was only 1 WR who averaged less than 9.0 yards per catch last year (Russell Gage at 8.4). There were only 14 players (13 RBs and Irv Smith Jr) in the NFL with at least 17 catches who had less yards per catch than Mixon's 7.4 last year.

Even on his own team at his position, Perine had a higher AVG, averaged a positive depth of target, averaged more yards after the catch per reception, and Burrow had a higher QB rating targeting him.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 02:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: A back that rarely turns the ball over, especially one who can catch well..That's money in the bank..Joe has a few shortcomings, but ball security and pass catching like a WR? That's tough to let go of for any team especially for a pass first team..

(07-17-2023, 02:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: The pay cut is simple economics. It has nothing to do with a vote of confidence. It's not like they cut him down to league minimum. He's already a multi millionaire.. Don't be silly..

Agreed. I think we all need to move on. Some haven’t got the memo.He’s staying and likely for 2 years. He took a restructured contract that was more team friendly even if it was to remain on the team. It’s over and the situation resolved. Zac and Duke have spoken. They want him on the team but at a more equitable amount. Mixon has a chance to make 7 million with what I understand are easily obtainable numbers. He could have easily been in Ezekiel and Dalvin Cooks spot and soon others.

Reply/Quote
Good move by the FO, but I would have still preferred we moved on and upgraded to a better RB, Mixon was pretty bad last year. At the very least we won't be overpaying for him again.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 12:26 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: A 40% pay cut is not a vote of confidence. That’s what holding onto your job by your fingernails looks like. Had he refused, Mixon would have been released just like Giovanni Bernard when he refused a pay cut.

I doubt he'd have been cut this year. Unless we had Cook in bag already, none of the other FAs are an upgrade. All our backups are unproven. 
Reply/Quote
So what are we talking about, net cap savings? Around 2.5 mil taking into account the incentives? A $4.5 mil pay cut plus $2 mil incentives?

That is not a lot of savings.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I doubt he'd have been cut this year. Unless we had Cook in bag already, none of the other FAs are an upgrade. All our backups are unproven. 

I’d bet Joe opted for the security of 2 seasons over 1 and none

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 02:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: The pay cut is simple economics. It has nothing to do with a vote of confidence. It's not like they cut him down to league minimum. He's already a multi millionaire.. Don't be silly..

I agree. Overpaid, underperforming employees are forced to take pay cuts = basic economics. Also, employees under contract doing a great job aren't forced to take pay cuts when the company doesn't need financial relief. This is not a force majeure situation.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: So what are we talking about, net cap savings? Around 2.5 mil taking into account the incentives? A $4.5 mil pay cut plus $2 mil incentives?

That is not a lot of savings.

He only receives the incentives if he reaches certain production numbers, correct?  Meaning if he has a poor season the team saved $4.5M, if he gets his act back together and plays like he did 2 years ago, the team will still have saved some money while Mixon gets an earned bonus.  Seems like a win-win situation to me.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 09:11 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Agreed. I think we all need to move on. Some haven’t got the memo.He’s staying and likely for 2 years. He took a restructured contract that was more team friendly even if it was to remain on the team. It’s over and the situation resolved. Zac and Duke have spoken. They want him on the team but at a more equitable amount. Mixon has a chance to make 7 million with what I understand are easily obtainable numbers. He could have easily been in Ezekiel and Dalvin Cooks spot and soon others.

I don't recall many fans speculating Mixon would be released with two years remaining on his contract until his most recent legal issues.

Yes, he could have easily been Elliot or Cooks which isn't a great endorsement.  He could have been easily replaced by Elliot or Cook, also. Thus the 40% pay cut.

(07-17-2023, 01:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’d bet Joe opted for the security of 2 seasons over 1 and none

Unless the restructured deal is fully guaranteed he has the exact amount of security as before, just less compensation.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2023, 06:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This is great news. Good move by Mixon sticking around to play for a winner and sticking with the team that gave him a shot.

I'm happy to still have him on our team and now at a way friendlier price. He is a good player. I wouldn't mind prolonging his career by giving other RBs more snaps. I think we can have multiple productive RBs. I wonder if the new lower salary means they will be more willing to spread the workload out?

Being a bit more pessimistic, I think it's more that he saw how guys like Elliott and Cook are still sitting out there in FA, knowing he probably has to take this deal or risk getting even lower on the open market and/or potentially even sitting some/most of the season.

This feels more like the Bengals made him aware of the situation and offered him a deal, so he and his agent assessed the RB situation and made a decision to help ensure stability rather than take a risk on the open market.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I doubt he'd have been cut this year. Unless we had Cook in bag already, none of the other FAs are an upgrade. All our backups are unproven. 

What leverage did the Bengals have to force a player under contract to take a 40% pay cut when they were already under the cap? The only way I think that happens is to give Mixon and his agent a choice: 1) take a pay cut or 2) be released and try to sign with a team for more than they were offering.

As I mentioned previously, Giovani Bernard is an example of how those contract negotiations go. It is possible the Bengals were bluffing, but I doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Being a bit more pessimistic, I think it's more that he saw how guys like Elliott and Cook are still sitting out there in FA, knowing he probably has to take this deal or risk getting even lower on the open market and/or potentially even sitting some/most of the season.

This feels more like the Bengals made him aware of the situation and offered him a deal, so he and his agent assessed the RB situation and made a decision to help ensure stability rather than take a risk on the open market.

Saying it was a risk not to restructure makes it sound like he had a choice. He 100% would not have gotten 6M per from any team. If Zeke and Cook can’t even get a team to throw them 4M for one year then Mixon would’ve been more likely to not be on ANY team rather than not get the money he wants.

This restructure guaranteed he’s playing NFL ball for 2 more years as long as he’s still got it. It was a great deal for him and he knows it.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2023, 01:46 PM)Housh Wrote: Saying it was a risk not to restructure makes it sound like he had a choice. He 100% would not have gotten 6M per from any team. If Zeke and Cook can’t even get a team to throw them 4M for one year then Mixon would’ve been more likely to not be on ANY team rather than not get the money he wants.

This restructure guaranteed he’s playing NFL ball for 2 more years as long as he’s still got it. It was a great deal for him and he knows it.

Well it is a choice, as he had to agree to it.

TBH, I'm surprised it took until mid-July for this to happen.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote