Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Mixon's Expected To Be Released
(03-07-2024, 12:28 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I meant to mention Pollard but I was taking some fools' money in poker while I was posting that and then making fun of them for losing money to a vegetable ThumbsUp

Hilarious

Burrow takes the snap from the gun 95% of the time, which I think Henry needs to go from a setback with the QB under center at this point, so he's off the market for me.

I think we need to heavily take the shotgun into account so we don't sign a back where we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I think you might be right, although there are always surprise cuts and we could end up with a solid back.
They aren't gonna overspend in a postion that won't be of dire need if they sign a RB early and then draft one after cutting Mixon. I get what you're thinking but i think they'll be satisfied with that. Gotta fill other holes.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:26 AM)pulses Wrote: Don't care what his numbers were he's not worth 9 million a year period. And this market this season in FA is gonna prove it. Alot of RB's are gonna be getting much lower price tags including MIxon.

If we cut him we're still paying 3 million. If we sign another RB for 5 million I really doubt it will be an upgrade and we're sitting at the same spot cap wise. We'll see what we do, but I don't think we eat the dead cap and cut Mixon
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll be surprised if we keep him at his pay level. And I doubt he's going to agree to another cut. If he does go elsewhere, I'd bet it will be at a reduced pay level. And will be a situational use back.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:28 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I meant to mention Pollard but I was taking some fools' money in poker while I was posting that and then making fun of them for losing money to a vegetable ThumbsUp

Hilarious

Burrow takes the snap from the gun 95% of the time, which I think Henry needs to go from a setback with the QB under center at this point, so he's off the market for me.

I think we need to heavily take the shotgun into account so we don't sign a back where we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I think you might be right, although there are always surprise cuts and we could end up with a solid back.

I wouldn’t think the bengals will be cheap this year. The bengals are smart when it comes to financial transactions and they know burrows contract is going to be hard to figure out. I expect some unprecedented stuff this year. Just my $.02
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: A friend just sent me the link on X:

Here

I'm glad that we're moving on. Loved him for a lot of his career but I just don't think he fits our system too well anymore.

Who do we go after now? 

Henry? Jacobs? Barkley?

If I think back, we heard the same thing a year ago. Then, he took a pay cut and was one of our best and most reliable players.

Bengals are normally tight lipped, so if someone within organization stated Mixon would be cut either it was leaked to get Joe to take another cut, or this reporter is speculating. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Mixon has been rumored for years to be released and he keeps coming back. If he is released, I would draft a running back to replace him. FA backs are too expensive and the Bengals don't really use backs as much as other teams. Higgins signing seems the big focus right now and the passing game.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The cut Mixon notion came from Matthew Berry's 25 Most Interesting Things He Heard at the Combine article: 

Quote:8. I had few different conversations about Tee Higgins possibly being traded from sources I trust. One said: “No, they’re keeping him this year.” One said they think it’s a 60% chance Higgins gets traded this year. He’s a proven commodity and trading for him might be a team’s best option given Higgins’ talent in what might be a crazy WR free agent market, especially with the higher salary cap. Then another source, who knows how Cincy operates, said they didn’t think Higgins would be traded because knowing the Bengals’ thinking they will likely wait too long and then not get enough for him back in a deal. Either way, if Higgins does get dealt, it’s worth noting Joe Burrow really has trust in Andrei Iosivas but there will be competition for the No. 2 WR spot, likely from a receiver taken in this draft. Tyler Boyd is not expected to return and I was told Joe Mixon would be released. (Evergreen sentence. Shrug emoji).

I feel like the local guys would have a better feel on this situation, and they feel like the situation is still up in the air.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
All Berry is doing is posting gossip & speculation from the combine.

We may end up releasing Mixon. Or not. But neither Berry nor anyone he talked to knows jack sh!t.
Reply/Quote
FWIW, I don't know jack sh!t either, but I think he stays.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:16 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: All Berry is doing is posting gossip & speculation from the combine.

We may end up releasing Mixon. Or not. But neither Berry nor anyone he talked to knows jack sh!t.

Maybe so. But Berry's post is generating a lot of press coverage,  including by the Cincinnati Enquirer. Whatever the source -- speculation, planned release to try and get a renegotiation, genuine plan -- it will now need to be dealt with. 
Reply/Quote
How many all purpose yards and touchdowns did Tee have last year? 1400 / 12 isn't worth 9 million? What is 21m worth?

As to FA RB, we won't be cutting Mixon to save 6m and then turning around and spending 6m on a FA RB. That wouldn't make sense.

As for Mixon. I'm a fan of his and love what he brings to the locker room and the energy he brings to practice and big games. I also think we can get younger and more explosive at RB. From a position standpoint, we should always draft one and never sign or re-sign them. That would be my philosophy for managing the position for cap purposes. Especially with a franchise QB.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:26 AM)pulses Wrote: Don't care what his numbers were he's not worth 9 million a year period. And this market this season in FA is gonna prove it. Alot of RB's are gonna be getting much lower price tags including MIxon.

Isn’t 9 mil a number
Reply/Quote
The more days that pass, the more I think Mixon is on the team. I dont think he's going anywhere. There's no point in keeping him on board right now especially with the rumors flying.

I've been calling it that he's not going anywhere.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Here

I'm glad that we're moving on. Loved him for a lot of his career but I just don't think he fits our system too well anymore.

Who do we go after now? 

Henry? Jacobs? Barkley?

no reason to spend on  a RB when we dont run much
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 10:13 AM)jj22 Wrote: How many all purpose yards and touchdowns did Tee have last year? 1400 / 12 isn't worth 9 million? What is 21m worth?

As to FA RB, we won't be cutting Mixon to save 6m and then turning around and spending 6m on a FA RB. That wouldn't make sense.

As for Mixon. I'm a fan of his and love what he brings to the locker room and the energy he brings to practice and big games. I also think we can get younger and more explosive at RB. From a position standpoint, we should always draft one and never sign or re-sign them. That would be my philosophy for managing the position for cap purposes. Especially with a franchise QB.

Seems it would make since if the other RB is better
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 11:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: no reason to spend on  a RB when we dont run much

If they wanted to save money by cutting Mixon and they were going to take one of the better Rookies (say round 2 or 3 or 4)

then I would consider bringing in D'onta Foreman who may only cost $2 million or less is 27 years old and could start for

a while until the rookie gets broke in.
Reply/Quote

Here

Who do we go after now? 

Henry? Jacobs? Barkley?

Thanks for the info. I didn't like it when we drafted him. It's hard to get onboard with a dude that punches a young woman like that. Ts, he kept his head down and went to work here. For the most part he has been a solid Bengal.

Ts, I'm all for his release at this time. This is the year to go fishing in the RB pool. RBs value is seemingly down and there is a plethora of really good ones for them to choose from at the moment! 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 02:17 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, I don't know jack sh!t either, but I think he stays.

At 6 mill per, let's all hope not! I'm aware of his value. I'm also very aware of the current market for RBs and the pool of RBs that are available. 

He quietly had a good year on the field last season. That's part of the problem with the Joe-Mix package; quiet on the field, but loud as hell when off of it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 01:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If I think back, we heard the same thing a year ago. Then, he took a pay cut and was one of our best and most reliable players.

Bengals are normally tight lipped, so if someone within organization stated Mixon would be cut either it was leaked to get Joe to take another cut, or this reporter is speculating. 

I loved Mixon and I'm glad we gave him a chance when he had that issue with the college girl he hit, but I'm just not sure that he fits our identity anymore.

We're more of a shotgun team and a passing team, and I just think Mixon runs better when the QB is under center and he's running more north and south.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:01 PM)depthchart Wrote: If they wanted to save money by cutting Mixon and they were going to take one of the better Rookies (say round 2 or 3 or 4)

then I would consider bringing in D'onta Foreman who may only cost $2 million or less is 27 years old and could start for

a while until the rookie gets broke in.

This is a great take on the topic imho. All one needs to do is take a look at how the Lions managed the RB position last season with Gibbs and Montgomery.  Foreman is a hammer and Chase is a switchblade. 

Many will be clamoring for Henry, Jacobs, and Barkley. If it were to work out that way, it would be great, but this is more realistic. Spend a late rd pick on another young RB that fits the system in what would hopefully be a redshirt type of year. 
Reply/Quote