Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Momentum builds for cancellation of Bills-Bengals game
I think we all knew this was going to be the path. The longer they wait, the more likely this seems.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/04/momentum-builds-for-cancelation-of-bills-bengals-game/

***** bullshit. Completely screws us out of the 2 seed.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
While that very well may happen I'd take that article with a grain of salt given the author. He's not been exactly known for his accuracy in reporting in my opinion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think we all knew this was going to be the path. The longer they wait, the more likely this seems.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/04/momentum-builds-for-cancelation-of-bills-bengals-game/

***** bullshit. Completely screws us out of the 2 seed.

It doesn't completely screw us out of the 2 seed.  The team just won't control its own destiny in that regard.  They'd need a win and a Bills loss on Sunday.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:28 AM)Big Boss Wrote: It doesn't completely screw us out of the 2 seed.  The team just won't control its own destiny in that regard.  They'd need a win and a Bills loss on Sunday.

I mean it SIGNIFICANTLY lessens their chances... 
Reply/Quote
At this point, I'm not really concerned with what decision they make, but I think they really need to make a definitive decision before the weekend.

I don't think it's fair to the players of several teams if they are being led to believe that MAYBE the game will be played later. That will impact injury reports, it will impact how teams practice, how teams prepare for week 18 and beyond and it just draws this whole thing out much longer than it needs to be.

NFL. Make the call. Either schedule the game or NC it. But stop dangling the carrot. For everyone's sakes.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:39 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: At this point, I'm not really concerned with what decision they make, but I think they really need to make a definitive decision before the weekend.

I don't think it's fair to the players of several teams if they are being led to believe that MAYBE the game will be played later. That will impact injury reports, it will impact how teams practice, how teams prepare for week 18 and beyond and it just draws this whole thing out much longer than it needs to be.

NFL. Make the call. Either schedule the game or NC it. But stop dangling the carrot. For everyone's sakes.

Decision 100% needs to happen before the weekend. I agree. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:39 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: At this point, I'm not really concerned with what decision they make, but I think they really need to make a definitive decision before the weekend.

That's pretty much where I'm at, just do something for crying out loud.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's pretty much where I'm at, just do something for crying out loud.

And if they don't until after the games that is going to look very bad.  Basically rigged.
Reply/Quote
Yeah Mike Florio isn’t a good source of information on anything. He may end up being correct on this, but it’ll be more due to luck than actual insider information.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Decision 100% needs to happen before the weekend. I agree. 

Honestly, it should have happened already, but I imagine the NFL didn't want to come off as insensitive. I would assume or hope teams learn today. As Crazydawg mentioned, the decision impacts team and player prep. Teams should have been notified Tuesday or Wednesday, but that didn't happen.

Reply/Quote
I'm just hoping the teams momentum wasn't stunted by this. I fear it was. It's a far rise back up to the energy level and aggression we saw them open with Monday. For a second Monday night it looked like there was a legit shot at returning to the Superbowl.

Fans point to the curse of Bo Jackson.... Let's hope this isn't the start of another one.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Is there still talk of the Bills forfeiting this weekend? If so, I don’t see how it’s fair for them to forfeit that game but not our game.

I did have another idea in that case though if somehow the NFL decided it was ok to forfeit vs NE but not us. In that case my 2nd choice would be to push the playoffs back a week and play 2 games the Saturday between week 18 and WC Weekend. Bengals/Bills followed by NE and whichever team was next up to take their playoff spot had the Bills played and beat them. Those two teams play a de facto playoff/play in game. Winner gets WC seed.

That would be less fair to us than just getting the forfeit but it would give the NFL two games and cancel the need for having NFC WC one weekend and AFC the next (which sounded unnecessary to me right from the start). It would also take away NE’s free pass to the playoffs and get rid of any argument the first runner up to NE could have about it not being fair.
Reply/Quote
We in. That’s all that matters. They gotta play us.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:58 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: We in. That’s all that matters. They gotta play us.

No offense, but that’s not “all that matters”. As a STH, it matters how many home playoff games we get. For the team, potentially having to go to both Buffalo and Kansas City in the playoffs isn’t a fair outcome. Under that scenario, we would be punished unfairly for what happened Monday night. Championship windows don’t stay open forever, simply shrugging and saying these things are no biggie is crazy.
Reply/Quote
It certainly matters to players and their stats and milestones and contract perks.... Jamarr Chase isn't at 1000 yards yet. Burrow could have taken the record for completion percentages (now they may sit Sunday). Barely got the record for TD's for the team (if the game stats even count). The issues with cancelation go on and on but there really isn't a good out to all of this.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:56 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Is there still talk of the Bills forfeiting this weekend? If so, I don’t see how it’s fair for them to forfeit that game but not our game.

I did have another idea in that case though if somehow the NFL decided it was ok to forfeit vs NE but not us. In that case my 2nd choice would be to push the playoffs back a week and play 2 games the Saturday between week 18 and WC Weekend. Bengals/Bills followed by NE and whichever team was next up to take their playoff spot had the Bills played and beat them. Those two teams play a de facto playoff/play in game. Winner gets WC seed.

That would be less fair to us than just getting the forfeit but it would give the NFL two games and cancel the need for having NFC WC one weekend and AFC the next (which sounded unnecessary to me right from the start). It would also take away NE’s free pass to the playoffs and get rid of any argument the first runner up to NE could have about it not being fair.

As someone who is/was generally uneasy with the idea of the Bills being asked to forfeit Monday's game; if they forfeit the Pats game I've no problem at all with them forfeiting our game as well.
Reply/Quote
1) If the Bengals win this weekend and the Bills lose, the Bengals are #2.
2) If the Bengals win/lose this weekend and the Bills win, the Bills are #2 and the Bengals are #3. But a playoff game between these two teams would be played in Cincinnati despite seeding.

That's about as fair a compromise as I can get. Trying to be objective here, the team most immediately screwed by the No Contest would be the Ravens. But like I said in another thread, if I were a Ravens fan I don't think I'd be griping about it given how the team has looked since their bye week.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Nobody in the organization has thought they’d play it. Ever
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I don't have the article up anymore, but SI had an article dated this morning that said the NFL was down to two options. Declaring the Bengals/Bills a tie (which makes zero sense to me) or a "No-Contest", or shuffling the playoff schedule and playing the game week 19. The SI writer seemed to think the league was leaning towards the "no contest" decision.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't have the article up anymore, but SI had an article dated this morning that said the NFL was down to two options. Declaring the Bengals/Bills a tie (which makes zero sense to me) or a "No-Contest", or shuffling the playoff schedule and playing the game week 19. The SI writer seemed to think the league was leaning towards the "no contest" decision.

So 3 options and the writer has no clue what they're talking about lol They're just saying the same options everyone has already said. A tie and no contest are different options. 
Reply/Quote